As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Super Robot Wars] SRW 30 Out Now! Shout Out Your Attacks! EXPANSION PACK Announced!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    The Steam release of SRW V is out, and having played the first couple of scenarios works reasonably well. The mouse interface is a bit awkward feeling, and inconsistent. Left mouse to confirm, right to cancel, but not always. I sat on an early transition for quite a while because LMB wasn't doing anything, turns out I had to press enter. Battle animations also seem to stutter a little, I'm not sure why as it doesn't appear to be a particularly graphically intensive game.

Overall a functional port, although a bit lazy seeming.

Sounds like a Japanese company's first foray into PC ports.

• Options
    Looks like Super Robot Wars V has had an "English" Switch release the same way T had. And I already have too many games to play.

Well, one more now.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Looks like Super Robot Wars V has had an "English" Switch release the same way T had. And I already have too many games to play.

Well, one more now.

FYI, unlike T, Both the Asian (HK for eShop), and Japanese versions have English support.

But that's only the standard Japanese version. The Ansong version with extra licensed music is still Japanese only. They really don't want people importing that one, sadly. Music rights are a bitch.

If only the Switch allowed Custom MP3s like the PS4 and Vita games.

Also, you have to buy the first physical print, or from the eShop in the first month, to get the DLC characters. Otherwise they don't join till the very end of the game.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Regarding the Switch port of V, as a reminder, if you want the first-copy DLC (getting the Huckebein and Grungust at the start of the game instead of literally just before the end of it) you have until the 30th to buy it from the Japanese or Hong Kong eShops or get a first print physical copy. Unlike T, the Japanese release also supports English so you can get either. Again, note this is only the normal version of the game and not the premium sound version. That version very specifically only has Japanese language support unlike the normal one that's Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and English.

Also, the PC/Steam version has been out but there's no legal way to pay money for it unless you live in the non-region locked countries. It can't even be gifted to non-locked countries. And using a VPN is likely to get your Steam account banned. There's no friendly way to import the game unlike the PS4/Vita/Switch versions and as such the legalities are depressingly basically forcing piracy-or-nothing for any westerners that want to play the PC version.

---

In other news, It's not SRW, but it's the same genre and also Asian-Englsih so I thought I'd post it here too.

The lasted trailer/stream for SD GUNDAM G GENERATION CROSS RAYS dropped yesterday, all nearly 38mins long of it. The Asian English version comes out on November 28th, day and date with the Japanese version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65ZFvhulys4

Unlike the other SRPGs in the series, this one is focusing on non-UC. Seed, Wing, 00, and Iron-Blooded Orphans are the series who the game will go through the entire stories of (including movies, supplementary novels, mangas, etc). Though unlike Super Robot Wars, the stories are played through separately and not a crossover.

They also announced the first part of the season pass.

LFe3IdY.jpg

X, Turn A, and Age being the first DLC.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Ianator wrote: »

Oh shit. Nice.

Still importable on Switch and PS4 too if people wanna go those routes. Now I have to decide if I want it on Switch or PC.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    So, in other news, unlike the Super Robot Wars, who's PREMIUM SOUND EDITIONS are always Japan-only and Japanese-language only....

The PREMIUM SOUND EDITION for Cross Rays will be released in Asia digitally with Japanese, English, Korean, Simplified Chinese, & Traditional Chinese language support.

Digital HK eShop Link.

For those that want their 35 classic vocal anime tracks in the game, at a much steeper price point than the English steam release. (Aprox. $93 for the Premium Sound version, or $115 for Premium Sound + Deluxe/Season Pass. Vs $85 for the Deluxe version on Steam.)

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I guess this is also the G Gen thread now? Because a Cross Rays demo just went live on JP and HK for Switch and will also be available on PS4 later today.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I guess this is also the G Gen thread now? Because a Cross Rays demo just went live on JP and HK for Switch and will also be available on PS4 later today.

I haven't decided if I should edit this thread to include it or make a new thread. It's kinda related to SRW.

Opinion?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I haven't decided if I should edit this thread to include it or make a new thread. It's kinda related to SRW.

Opinion?

It's hard to imagine a lot of people even knowing what Cross Rays is without being familiar with SRW somewhat like how the Bloodstained thread also is the Castlevania thread.

Also, how does G Gen compare in gameplay compared to SRW?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    It's hard to imagine a lot of people even knowing what Cross Rays is without being familiar with SRW somewhat like how the Bloodstained thread also is the Castlevania thread.

I've been playing through G Gen Overworld for PSP which has a translation patch. Compared to SRW's linear story and constantly changing roster, G Gen is more of a sandbox about building your own Gundam dream team by recruiting your favorite characters and teching up to the units you want. You can assign any character to any unit or ship station (you could put Heero in the basic Wing or Wing Zero, a Deathscythe, a Leo, the RX-0 Unicorn, the helm spot on the Diva...) but there's also plenty of originals to go around if that's more your style because the intermissions don't have much context.

Oh yeah, there's force composition to worry about. Each battle lets you deploy two Groups which can be filled with up to nine units (larger Mobile Suits or Mobile Armors can take up two or four slots) and one ship. Units in Master and Leader slots allow subordinate allies to perform support attacks with them and/or each other. Each ship also has six crew slots, each of which confers different stats to the ship's performance.

I think the crossover factor varies game by game. Cross Rays won't be quite as crazy as Overworld's three-stories-per-stage sequential mashups, for example.

But I have been putting many, many hours into Overworld, fine-tuning my forces and meandering the tech trees to acquire my most favored units and even discovering new ones I wouldn't have thought much of otherwise. If you're into the Gundam metaverse, G Generation is a real treat!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options

Opinion?

Updated the OP with Cross Rays purchase links, and updated the SRW T OP to include the PSN and eShop links (for the DLC and Expansion) and updating to point out that it got a free patch and expansion.

Let me know if I should add or change anything!

• Options
    HBDaYbY.jpg

Preloaded with my full-weeb Premium Sound Edition. Even came with a free game: SD Gundam G Generation: Monoeye Gundams, originally a WonderSwan title. No idea if that one is translated as I can't play it until Cross Rays releases. I'll let you know!

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Also, there sadly doesn't seem to be a demo available via the HK eShop. I know the JP eShop Demo has English, but I'm not about to download another version demo if I won't be able to transfer my data. :(

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Can confirm that Monoeye Gundam, the console preorder free bonus game, was not translated. It does have a thorough included digital English manual though.

Happy Launch Day for CROSS RAYS for anyone else getting it. Console versions already unlocked. Steam version unlocks in ~5hours from this post.

• Options
    The Premium Sound Version songs if anyone's curious or was on the fence.

cSkVMnA.jpg

9tFkd9z.jpg

EcYg7Dg.jpg

4 Wing. 16 Seed. 8 00. 7 IBO. Lots of love for Seed's music

• Options
    So about the same ratio of units to each series? Sounds about right.

Seriously. So much SEED Astray.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Uuuuuh shit, PC version has a bug where everything does six digits of damage. Everything oneshots everything.

EDIT: Another PC bug, custom characters only ever start with the Attack Boost skill. On the other platforms their starting ability is determined by their birthday.

EDIT 2: Damage bug is fix go go go

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    This game's animations are so goddamn good. Fuck. The latest SRW games don't have animations close to as good as this. Even the grunt animations are wonderful.

And yet the game is still review bombed on steam because of it.

• Options

And yet the game is still review bombed on steam because of it.

It's up to Mixed Reviews overall, which I guess is nice. But I'm still hearing about a few lesser but still important bugs revolving around custom characters and Abilities.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Oh wow. I had no idea this game had perma-death for mechs.

• Options
    109,820 first week sales in Japan, not including digital sales. Around a 60/40 split PS4 and Switch. Wonder what the Asian and Steam numbers are.

Game is good in both as a sandbox tactical game and as a gigantic nostalgia love letter (and the powerful vocal songs in the premium version are really helping with this when they kick in during dramatic scenes). And it's making me really wish a lot of these mangas and novel side stories featured were available in English.

Focusing on IBO heavily first, because it has the best Captain character in all of Gundam, and because of all the units being anti-Beam to take with me to other stories.

• Options
    First DLC units dropped. Sadly it's just mecha, characters, and parts/skills. Many others have been datamined.

God Gundam and Master Gundam hell yeah.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I picked up Cross Rays the other day and I'm two missions into Gundam SEED. And it's pretty fun! But a bit overwhelming. I have no idea who these random people with a warship that are my actual squad are and I have no idea what I am doing with their stats or the mecha's stats. I also don't really understand why you can do combos sometimes but not other times or how to use the Raid group attack mainly because I rarely seem to have multiple enemies in range of it.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I picked up Cross Rays the other day and I'm two missions into Gundam SEED. And it's pretty fun! But a bit overwhelming. I have no idea who these random people with a warship that are my actual squad are and I have no idea what I am doing with their stats or the mecha's stats. I also don't really understand why you can do combos sometimes but not other times or how to use the Raid group attack mainly because I rarely seem to have multiple enemies in range of it.

You just start with default game characters not from any series. You have to unlock and recruit characters, which you get from completing quests and then spending cash to recruit them. You can also unlock mecha by quests, filling out story units "GET" gauges by killing enemies with them, or by developing leveled mecha into stronger mecha.

There's two different types of groups: Warship and Raid. When you get further into the game, Warship groups pull so far ridiculously ahead in overpoweredered it's stupid, but early game Raid units mostly work better.

Raid units get passive HP/Energy regen depending on how close they are to each other and any unit can perform the 1/turn Raid Attack. The units get all their skills, but the skills mostly only effect themselves. However, there's a deployment limit depending on stage and you'll often not be able to deploy an entire Raid Group but only 4+ of them.

Warship groups get a whole warship and an extra unit and always get to deploy the warship and all 9 units on any stage (if your ship has 2 hangers). Only the Warship gets to use it's version of the team/Raid attack, but it's even more powerful. The mecha have no passive regen but dock for a turn in the warship to heal and recharge. You have to pre-select a skill per character, and only the warship and master characters can use them, but most skills effect every single group leader in range.

Dispatch missions are how you'll get a lot of cash early game. You have to buy Warships straight up but can get even late game mecha through leveling and development. The Archangel or the Supersonic Transporter + a mod that gives it an extra hanger are you best early game starting warships. The Ptolemaios 2 Kai and Minerva are the best late game warships.

• Options
    Also keep in mind you can create custom characters.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...like the game kind of just throws you in without explaining anything so it kind be a bit to get used too.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Is a single stage supposed to take 3 hours? Or am I just slow? The first post Orb mission was insane. The first part was really easy as I was just mowing down units with warship combo attacks. Even the other Gundams went down easy. The hard part was actually not killing Athrun while getting him low enough for Kira to finish off for the secret bonus. And then like a bajillion of the underwater guys spawned. And I guess because they are under water all my attacks were doing like half their usual damage? Or maybe those guys just have really high defense. So the Archangel was just running away and using Depth Charge while a dozen guys just kept shooting it and I scrambled to get my other warship into range to intercept.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, water tends to seriously blunt the effect of beam weapons in particular. You can counter them with your own aquatic MS and MA but I struggle to think of any that are strong both in and out of water. (Abyss?)

And yes, I can spend a looong time in one mission in GGOW if I'm doing all the extra objectives.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    LOL the Freedom is OP. It has a cone attack! I developed the Phoenix Gundam Full Power or whatever and it's charge through a line of guys attack is pretty dope also. I also developed a UC Zaku! And the Tallgeese! And somehow unlocked this cool Gundam that I have no idea what it's from and I can't remember the name but it has a seriously long range beam cannon and a crazy Defense Mode melee attack that looks amazing. I recruited the Desert Tiger and gave it to him and I was not disappointed.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Gundam Wing Zero EW is so silly. I love it. About to play through Seed next so I can get Freedom and Destiny.

Also, not sure what they got planned for the next Super Robot since they don't seem to be releasing one this year.

I'm kind of hoping the next one is another Original Generation Entry.

• Options
    I finally got around to actually starting SRW V, and... well, so far I like the premise a lot more than T's "Capitalism will get us out of this funk!" angle. But then again, it seems the foundation of V's main plot comes from the Yamato anime, rather than being its own original creation like T's was.

On the other hand, the Tyranado was cooler than what little I've seen of the VanRay so far.

But, geez, these two SRWs really are just clones of each other, aren't they? I said, while also being quite pleased to see the Nadesico showing up again.

• Options
    But, geez, these two SRWs really are just clones of each other, aren't they? I said, while also being quite pleased to see the Nadesico showing up again.

The VTX trilogy have a lot of common series, not just with each other but with Z3 too, so there's been a lot of grumbling that they've been too samey for mainline entries. I think that's contributing to the hunger for the next Original Generation game.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    <frenchaccent>TEN MONTHS LATER...</frenchaccent>

Well here's a pleasant surprise. There is now a complete English translation of Original Generations for PS2!

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xujHTmsOdU

Super Robot Wars 30 announced. Title designed by Go Nagi!

This is just a teaser. The big reveal and trailer will be at the Super Robot Wars event on July 11th.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yep, there's another $90 down to Play-Asia

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I’m already excited. I love me some SRW.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Are SRW formulaic? Yes.

Are they a bit too easy? Also yes.

Have I played each one like 3 times? Yes!

They're my version of video game comfort food.

Edit: And it's set for 2021 release!? Let's go!

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    If only SRW could figure out its licensing in the West... I want to play it on Steam!

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Akilae wrote: »
    If only SRW could figure out its licensing in the West... I want to play it on Steam!

They've put some of the games on Steam, they're just region locked (lol).

Kinda sad Steam has become less region free friendly over the years compared to PlayStation and Nintendo.

Edit: 30 was announced for Steam too, but you won't be able to buy it there outside of Asia. Steam threatens to delete people's entire Steam accounts and libraries for using VPNs to buy games outside of their region.

Thankfully the PS4 and Switch are just Region Free and even the DLC isn't that hard to buy.

vagrant_winds on