As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Taking apart an old DS.

naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Some quick background, first: it's a launch DS, or at least relatively close. Approximately 2 years ago, during a trip to Europe, the DS would no longer hold a charge. I had a spare, so I decided to simply use that until I got back from the states and hopefully get it fixed. Unfortunately, i'm rather forgetful, so by the time I even remembered I had said old DS, the Warranty had long expired. I've tried 2 replacement batteries and at least 5 different chargers without any luck, and I was gonna let it be until I discovered a Tri Wing Screwdriver a few days ago. I decided it would be a nice opportunity to take a peek inside the DS once I finished up with finals.

Now that i'm finished with those, i'm gonna take apart my DS and see if the cause of the charge problem is more than a few faulty batteries. With that in mind, I was wondering if any of you have had this problem before and know what I should be looking for, or if there are any guides floating around concerning the problem so I don't make a total fool of myself and render my DS completely irreparable.

I think that's about it, unless you guys would like some more info, in which case please let me know. So, uh... help? *puppy eyes*

naengwen on

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Call Nintendo anyways. Tell the truth.

Their customer service is bar-none.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've considered that, but why have them fix it when it's not something i'm not going to use very much anyways? I'm not too scared of breaking the thing, after all, and it's the first opportunity i've had to take a peek inside the DS for myself.

naengwen on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    If Nintendo will fix it for free or for a nominal charge, have it fixed.

Then sell it.

DS-s are always in demand.

You will make enough to buy a few more DS games.

????

Profit

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Bah, fine, i'll take it in and have them take a look at it. No fun, though :(

naengwen on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aw, come on, I say you crack it open. So long as you don't get too stabby or start pulling things apart you can't snap (or solder depending on how surgical you are with the ol' iron) you should be fine. Besides, it sounds kind of fun. Post pics!

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, I'll find out their assessment first and if they can't fix it for a reasonable price, then i'll take it apart just for the hell of it.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    That's a solid plan. Let me know how it goes.

Uncle Long on