As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stadia: Don’t cross the streams.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I am just waiting for Stadia Pro and Dying Light 2 to be available on any laptop with Chrome on it. The first game is one of my games of the previous decade and the sequel looks like "The same but with more things, more content and more more" which is what all sequels should be.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I remembered Stadia and decided to take a look into what the recent news has been.

It was discussed earlier in the thread that trying to judge anything by Destiny 2's player base is not necessarily the best indication, though I do see some basis to at least acknowledge the numbers, considering Stadia has comparatively few games on its platform and there is a higher-than-average chance that Destiny 2 is the whole reason someone might buy into Stadia, as well as the fact that it's free to all Stadia users. In the absence of real reported numbers, it's something to look at, at least.

On Nov 26, about a week after Stadia launched:
    PC: 494,000
    PS4: 454,000
    Xbox: 331,000
    Stadia: 19,400

On Dec 8, as reported in this thread:
    PC: 542,000
    PS4: 506,000
    Xbox: 377,000
    Stadia: 13,600

On Jan 2 2020:
    PC: 437,000
    PS4: 435,000
    Xbox: 313,000
    Stadia: 8,020

Since first measured near launch, Stadia's Destiny 2 player base has declined by about 58%.

This may be slightly more significant than first thought, since Nov 26 was before the Buddy Pass system was rolled out, for handing out free 3 month passes to friends of Pro owners. Then in addition to that, on Dec 17 (after the second set of numbers) Google handed out a second Buddy Pass to everyone to entice even more users. In spite of this there has been a steady decline.

Perhaps a better metric for evaluating Stadia's performance is its Google Play Store numbers, which still look like this:

SkSZuyC.png

The Play Store increments the displayed install count at specific intervals. When an app is over 100K, the next milestone is 500K. And the Stadia app is currently the only method available to initially set up Stadia and (I believe) purchase Stadia games, so every Stadia user needs this app. This would imply that two months in, there are between 100K and 500K Stadia owners/users, perhaps a bit more since iOS users are not factored in here. For some probably misguided context (because Stadia is not a console but what the hell), the Switch sold 2.74 million units in its first month, and the PS4 and Xbox One both sold over a million units in their first 24 hours (PS4 sold 2.1 million in a little over 2 weeks).

On that note, this article just came out:
    Google's game streaming platform Stadia has seen its mobile downloads reduce by half since November.

According to Sensor Tower data, from November 5th, 2019 to January 13th 2020, the mobile app version of Stadia has accumulated 550,000 installs. It's worth noting that while Stadia launched on November 19th, the Google Play app was made available on November 5th and the App Store version became accessible on November 12th.

The Stadia mobile app achieved 383,000 downloads in November alone, meaning the number of app installs has only increased by 43.6 per cent since.

When it comes to how many installs were generated across each store, Google Play heavily dominated at 409,000 or 74 per cent of the total. The App Store then made up the remaining 141,000 or 26 per cent.

The US claimed the highest portion of downloads at 249,000 or 45 per cent. Following this was Germany at 54,000 and France at 53,000, both representing 10 per cent of the overall. Great Britain and Canada rounded out the top five at 43,000 each, which was equal to eight per cent apiece.

An informal survey was conducted on the official Stadia subreddit, asking whether users there plan on keeping or stopping their Pro subscription in February. Their numbers came out like this:

Keep Pro: 16
    Maybe Keep Pro: 2
    Unsure: 6
    Maybe Cancel Pro: 9
    Cancel Pro: 20

As one user there noted, this is on the official Stadia subreddit, probably one of the most active and positive locations for Stadia discussion online.

As far as the games are going, according to Wikipedia, Stadia launched with 22 games and added 4 more in December, and that is still where the service sits. I saw someone mention on the subreddit that before too long they will run out of games that will have been offered for free or heavily discounted.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    (Awesomed for Sporky's deep dive, not to shit on Stadia. But man, the platform ain't doing great.)

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yeah, it doesn't paint a rosy picture.

(I am also genuinely surprised by Destiny's enduring PC popularity, but I don't play it either.)

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Has Google/Stadia made any announcements on how it's going to compete with the next-gen consoles coming out next year?

Something along the lines of "Yeah we're beefing up our infrastructure so you can play the same games coming out on PS5/XBOX X"

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I remembered Stadia and decided to take a look into what the recent news has been.

It was discussed earlier in the thread that trying to judge anything by Destiny 2's player base is not necessarily the best indication, though I do see some basis to at least acknowledge the numbers, considering Stadia has comparatively few games on its platform and there is a higher-than-average chance that Destiny 2 is the whole reason someone might buy into Stadia, as well as the fact that it's free to all Stadia users. In the absence of real reported numbers, it's something to look at, at least.

On Nov 26, about a week after Stadia launched:
    PC: 494,000
    PS4: 454,000
    Xbox: 331,000
    Stadia: 19,400

On Dec 8, as reported in this thread:
    PC: 542,000
    PS4: 506,000
    Xbox: 377,000
    Stadia: 13,600

On Jan 2 2020:
    PC: 437,000
    PS4: 435,000
    Xbox: 313,000
    Stadia: 8,020

Since first measured near launch, Stadia's Destiny 2 player base has declined by about 58%.

This may be slightly more significant than first thought, since Nov 26 was before the Buddy Pass system was rolled out, for handing out free 3 month passes to friends of Pro owners. Then in addition to that, on Dec 17 (after the second set of numbers) Google handed out a second Buddy Pass to everyone to entice even more users. In spite of this there has been a steady decline.

Perhaps a better metric for evaluating Stadia's performance is its Google Play Store numbers, which still look like this:

SkSZuyC.png

The Play Store increments the displayed install count at specific intervals. When an app is over 100K, the next milestone is 500K. And the Stadia app is currently the only method available to initially set up Stadia and (I believe) purchase Stadia games, so every Stadia user needs this app. This would imply that two months in, there are between 100K and 500K Stadia owners/users, perhaps a bit more since iOS users are not factored in here. For some probably misguided context (because Stadia is not a console but what the hell), the Switch sold 2.74 million units in its first month, and the PS4 and Xbox One both sold over a million units in their first 24 hours (PS4 sold 2.1 million in a little over 2 weeks).

On that note, this article just came out:
    Google's game streaming platform Stadia has seen its mobile downloads reduce by half since November.

According to Sensor Tower data, from November 5th, 2019 to January 13th 2020, the mobile app version of Stadia has accumulated 550,000 installs. It's worth noting that while Stadia launched on November 19th, the Google Play app was made available on November 5th and the App Store version became accessible on November 12th.

The Stadia mobile app achieved 383,000 downloads in November alone, meaning the number of app installs has only increased by 43.6 per cent since.

When it comes to how many installs were generated across each store, Google Play heavily dominated at 409,000 or 74 per cent of the total. The App Store then made up the remaining 141,000 or 26 per cent.

The US claimed the highest portion of downloads at 249,000 or 45 per cent. Following this was Germany at 54,000 and France at 53,000, both representing 10 per cent of the overall. Great Britain and Canada rounded out the top five at 43,000 each, which was equal to eight per cent apiece.

An informal survey was conducted on the official Stadia subreddit, asking whether users there plan on keeping or stopping their Pro subscription in February. Their numbers came out like this:

Keep Pro: 16
    Maybe Keep Pro: 2
    Unsure: 6
    Maybe Cancel Pro: 9
    Cancel Pro: 20

As one user there noted, this is on the official Stadia subreddit, probably one of the most active and positive locations for Stadia discussion online.

As far as the games are going, according to Wikipedia, Stadia launched with 22 games and added 4 more in December, and that is still where the service sits. I saw someone mention on the subreddit that before too long they will run out of games that will have been offered for free or heavily discounted.

I feel like the fact that, on the Stadia Subreddit, that poll only got 53 people is more damning than anything else.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Has Google/Stadia made any announcements on how it's going to compete with the next-gen consoles coming out next year?

Something along the lines of "Yeah we're beefing up our infrastructure so you can play the same games coming out on PS5/XBOX X"

They haven't even beefed it up to play a lot of the current gens games in 4K60.

And there is no beefing it up. There is replacing all of the GPU's they fielded.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean they gotta figure out their current stuff before worrying about that.

Alternatively the ol "this didn't work as we wanted so let's drop the project" is still on the table!

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

And there is no beefing it up. There is replacing all of the GPU's they fielded.

I had assumed that they had future-proofed their infrastructure considering they launched so close to the next cycle of consoles.

I am shamed.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I had assumed that they had future-proofed their infrastructure considering they launched so close to the next cycle of consoles.

I am shamed.

It sounds like they didn't even current proof their infrastructure considering all the performance woes.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I have to make sure my buddy pass doesn't renew.

After my initial spat of toying with it, the only time I've used it recently has been to show a buddy how it doesn't suck. There's no reason to use it, though, since I have a PS4 / XB1 / PC and I haven't really traveled since I got it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited January 2020
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I am shamed.

It sounds like they didn't even current proof their infrastructure considering all the performance woes.

The implementation hasn't been great compared to Xbox One X (and probably Playstation 4 Pro, though I've seen fewer comparisons, and that's a technically lower capability level). To paraphrase DF--"So, you're getting twice the framerate as on Xbox One X, and a quarter of the pixel count. Which is pretty great! Unless you care about resolution. Plus, that's 60 FPS under some unavoidable lag versus 30 FPS under nonexistent lag. And that's with our internet connection. And that's a good case. Here's a not so good case..."

We're seeing the combination of "Obligatory and very blatant overselling of the performance and fidelity of the system compared to its obvious rivals," and "Not insignificant generational hardware refresh [especially if you give a shit about ray-tracing solutions]" from Google's own deadline to market (as nebulous as that is in turn in this age of paid betas and previews). I don't think that particular aspect of the user experience is that worrying, compared to things like cost of use, service requirements, account flexibility, and obviously the library itself. But it is a problem. Especially if you make it a problem by promising the moon, or at least something in orbit, and being pretty stuck in the sub-orbital the way Google did. It's possible Xbox Series X and Playstation 5 will fall far short of their mark, at least on hardware launch, for a technological leap promised by Microsoft and Sony. We saw that happen with the PS3 relative to its promises. That would leave Google to "only" catch up with the bar set by Xbox One X (and obviously higher-end gaming PCs).

But I wouldn't underestimate the appeal of convenience. I say this as someone who is extremely use to inconvenient gaming, especially on PC. You're getting a version of Final Fantasy XV that looks way worse than Xbox One X, but you don't have to wait for it to download and install that one time. And load times are shorter the other times. And you get that weird racing game. Selling points. After all, people play games on Switch--that quite frankly look awful compared to PS4 or XB1--because it's handy. Not FFXV, obviously, but other titles that aren't only found on Nintendo's hardware.

Someone previously suggested Staadia ought to have marketed itself on turn-based strategy titles to account for its lag issues. Could be, but I'll add: maybe they should've marketed themselves against the Switch, a handheld device (only handheld, depending on the model) that also has the expectation of substantially lower fidelity/pixel count image, no HDR, and substantially lower framerates as far as multiplatform titles are concerned. But the Staadia doesn't have a Nintendo-esque library of exclusive properties, so it's hard to say how well a Switch alternative with more multiplatforms (and no Mario or Zelda) would do. And though I know plenty of people who own Switches, but I never see any of them playing Overwatch or The Witcher 3 or Skyrim on them. I'm going off more the online buzz than actual observation.

Also, it'd require Google get off its ass and support more models of Androids phones, i.e. the most popular smartphone OS in the world.

Synthesis on
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Everyone I've shown it to has (paraphrased) said Stadia would be amazing for them when they were poor / for poor kids. They're not saying that as a negative, just that it would've been great for them when their family could only afford like one game a year (for example).

I agree with them, but that also doesn't sound like a target audience a gaming oriented ecosystem would go for.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Everyone I've shown it to has (paraphrased) said Stadia would be amazing for them when they were poor / for poor kids. They're not saying that as a negative, just that it would've been great for them when their family could only afford like one game a year (for example).

I agree with them, but that also doesn't sound like a target audience a gaming oriented ecosystem would go for.

Plus, for that particular audience, the subscription model--as a future goal--also doesn't make much sense.

Another thing I've seen discussed is the idea that things could turn around for Stadia when the service becomes free. Which is true, the possibility is always there, we might be here in one year talking about the unprecedented success story. But I think some of the choices they've made in rolling out the service have an impact on that.

There have been two months to build up consumer confidence, positive impressions and testimonials, and instead just poking around informally there seems to be a general air of disappointment, frustration, apprehension, missed opportunities. So when someone says to themselves "hey, Stadia is free now, I should check it out, I wonder what people think of the service," they're going to find some unflattering commentary and people concerned as to whether the service itself is going to stick around long-term (whether legit concern or not).

The fact they came out of the gate with what many people consider to be overcharging and underdelivering has set a poor tone for the future of the service. On top of that they haven't been building up their library well enough, so when it goes free people are going to be asking why it still only has a few more games than what it first launched with.

Another question is, on what basis can we assume the service will see improvement when it goes free and they're making even less money? These first few Pro months are probably going to be one of its more profitable periods. Future income means needing more games to sell to people. Improved support assumes improved profitability, which assumes a sudden explosion of customers making one-time game purchases on the free tier. Of course Google has infinite money and could stubbornly keep throwing money at it for as long as they like, but will they?
    Synthesis wrote: »

Plus, for that particular audience, the subscription model--as a future goal--also doesn't make much sense.

I'm not sure how this follows at least in the US - do poorer people have consistent access to internet speeds that can handle it?

The best connected places are on the coastal cities, where pay is higher but cost of living is also higher...but internet may be more reasonably-priced than the boonies in central states, which tend to have the poorest populations, and where some people are only being offered 5 meg internet at best.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    There's still no word on when I can get a subscription without buying the controller bundle, right?

I'm not surprised the numbers are terrible considering you can't actually buy the thing yet unless you pay for a $130 controller.

(yes I know the $130 covers more but that's what it feels like)

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    There's still no word on when I can get a subscription without buying the controller bundle, right?

I'm not surprised the numbers are terrible considering you can't actually buy the thing yet unless you pay for a $130 controller.

And a chromecast ultra

PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited January 2020

I'm not sure how this follows at least in the US - do poorer people have consistent access to internet speeds that can handle it?

The best connected places are on the coastal cities, where pay is higher but cost of living is also higher...but internet may be more reasonably-priced than the boonies in central states, which tend to have the poorest populations, and where some people are only being offered 5 meg internet at best.

I was saying, "More frugal and cost conservative," myself. It probably wouldn't take that long for monthly subscription fees--on top of the cost of the minimum-usable service from your ISP--to catch up with you if you only played one or two games a year anyway. The subscription model has always justified itself on a wider library, even if you don't actually like most of it. By contrast, a storefront without any further hardware requirements--even if the title prices aren't very good, as is usually the case with digital--seems to fit the bill.

I hadn't even thought about meeting the minimum bandwidth requirements themselves.

Synthesis on
    Sorry, I didn't mean that as specifically a reply to what you said, just adding to the same sentiment. Should've said "plus." :P

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Still no word on when the free tier will be out?

edited January 2020
    Feb 2020 is what has been said.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/google-stadia-game-list-launch-day-2019-11

But many other places talking about it don't give such a defined date and only say "sometime in 2020."

UncleSporky on
    edited January 2020
    New news happened to come out just now as well:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-16-google-promises-more-than-10-stadia-timed-exclusives-by-july-2020
    Google has promised more than 10 Stadia timed-exclusives will be released by July 2020 - but it failed to name the games.

More than 120 games are due to hit Google's streaming service in 2020, Google promised.

"Looking at our upcoming lineup, we are tracking more than 120 games coming to Stadia in 2020, and are targeting more than 10 games in the first half of this year alone that will be only available on Stadia when they launch," Google said in a note to press today.

"We're working with our partners to share more on those games soon."

If you look at the period from Stadia launch to now as being about ~20 games on the service, 120 games over the course of a year does indeed continue the pattern of about 20 games every two months.

UncleSporky on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's still "sometime in 2020"

There's an assumption of February because that's when founder subs lapse but there's no confirmation to back that up. Personally, I don't think that's a safe assumption. They posted some stuff about the next 3 months or so: https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/Stadia-in-the-New-Year/ba-p/13027

Since Base isn't listed there I would take that as further proof that it's not coming next month. With that being said, there are currently people today that have "Base" (if you bought a FE or PE and returned it you still technically keep access to the service but you lose your Pro) so we know it already works for people who let their subs lapse, but, imo, I'm not expecting them to open it up to everyone that soon.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Someone previously suggested Staadia ought to have marketed itself on turn-based strategy titles to account for its lag issues. Could be, but I'll add: maybe they should've marketed themselves against the Switch, a handheld device (only handheld, depending on the model) that also has the expectation of substantially lower fidelity/pixel count image, no HDR, and substantially lower framerates as far as multiplatform titles are concerned. But the Staadia doesn't have a Nintendo-esque library of exclusive properties, so it's hard to say how well a Switch alternative with more multiplatforms (and no Mario or Zelda) would do. And though I know plenty of people who own Switches, but I never see any of them playing Overwatch or The Witcher 3 or Skyrim on them. I'm going off more the online buzz than actual observation.

So far, actual real world performance for most games has been somewhere between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. The Switch falls short of the PS4 and Xbox One base models, so I don't think marketing it against the Switch makes any sense. I do think they've overplayed it by quite a bit, but getting essentially a upper tier console experience is actually pretty good. I don't know the makeup of console sales here but I'd guess not everyone has the Pro/X. Y'all make it sound like Stadia performs worse than it actually does. It's definitely not at Switch quality levels.

Yes, they absolutely need an answer for next gen consoles and the sooner they can address that elephant in the room the better. I don't think this means "replace everything" like some people seem to think, my guess is they'll add hardware for "next gen" titles and they'll still use the current hardware for current gen. I'd still like to know their plans.

Kyanilis wrote: »

So far, actual real world performance for most games has been somewhere between the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. The Switch falls short of the PS4 and Xbox One base models, so I don't think marketing it against the Switch makes any sense. I do think they've overplayed it by quite a bit, but getting essentially a upper tier console experience is actually pretty good. I don't know the makeup of console sales here but I'd guess not everyone has the Pro/X. Y'all make it sound like Stadia performs worse than it actually does. It's definitely not at Switch quality levels.

Yes, they absolutely need an answer for next gen consoles and the sooner they can address that elephant in the room the better. I don't think this means "replace everything" like some people seem to think, my guess is they'll add hardware for "next gen" titles and they'll still use the current hardware for current gen. I'd still like to know their plans.

Stratification of their data centers into next gen/current gen sounds like a huge problem.

Apparently people have been asking Stadia's twitter account about whether certain games are coming to Stadia and they are dutifully answering those questions.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Superman 64? Really? Are they gonna ask about Battle Toads next?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Superman 64? Really? Are they gonna ask about Battle Toads next?

Pretty sure that’s the joke

can you feel the struggle within?
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Stadia in its 1.0 release form is a non-starter and it always has been - it needs the zero-barrier-to-entry free tier before it stands any chance at widespread adoption, plus a lot more games. And really it needs a Game Pass esque subscription. All of those things will surely come in time, so the real question is going to be how committed Google is to the service given that their early adopter launch seems to have gone poorly. I think they would be foolish not to at least give it a year or two to get out all those critical features before they move on.

I think it would unquestionably benefit Stadia as a platform if they released Superman 64 for it tomorrow.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    OK, you were just making fun of people being stupid on Twitter.

I don't like stadia. At all. I want it to die and stay dead just on principle alone. I also think that it is pretty much as dead as I thought that it was going to be. I just don't want to beat the dead horse. I'm content to let it quietly join ouya and OnLive in the crypts.
    I think it would unquestionably benefit Stadia as a platform if they released Superman 64 for it tomorrow.

It would make for some funny slowpoke/latency memes I guess.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

If they could somehow get the licences for a bunch of old games, handle the emulation and upscaling etc. I would actually be interested.

I'd do a subscription service, for at least a month or two, to be able to play a bunch of old games from my youth or the games I missed if just for the novelty.

Like a couple of people on PA were playing Dragon Force, which is a game I loved back when I had a Sega, and I'd happily give some company a couple of dollars for the convenience.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    so no games have been released on stadia this month so far iirc

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Stadia in its 1.0 release form is a non-starter and it always has been - it needs the zero-barrier-to-entry free tier before it stands any chance at widespread adoption, plus a lot more games. And really it needs a Game Pass esque subscription. All of those things will surely come in time,

I wouldn't put money on that.

I mean, it's the smart move, but smart moves haven't been in great supply with this thing.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Edit

Burtletoy on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Stadia in its 1.0 release form is a non-starter and it always has been - it needs the zero-barrier-to-entry free tier before it stands any chance at widespread adoption, plus a lot more games. And really it needs a Game Pass esque subscription. All of those things will surely come in time,

I wouldn't put money on that.

I mean, it's the smart move, but smart moves haven't been in great supply with this thing.

What I meant to say is that if the service continues into the future, those are features that will inevitably be added. The only way they don't get added is if Google bails on it prematurely.

Disco11 wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »

And a chromecast ultra

It's one chromecast Michael, how much could it cost? $10?

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I have 5 buddy passes if anyone wants one, PM me. First come, first served, I'll edit this post when they are all claimed

I love that the buddy pass isn't "free games" but instead "free access to a store to buy games"

edited January 2020
    I don't like stadia. At all. I want it to die and stay dead just on principle alone. I also think that it is pretty much as dead as I thought that it was going to be. I just don't want to beat the dead horse. I'm content to let it quietly join ouya and OnLive in the crypts.

My primary feelings on Stadia are not about the platform itself and more about the slippery slope implications for other companies and services if it succeeds. Implications about sub fees, software ownership, internet requirements, etc.

But regardless of that I am interested in following news about the platform just for the sake of seeing what's being done wrong or done right, lessons that could be taken from it, that sort of thing.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I love that the buddy pass isn't "free games" but instead "free access to a store to buy games"

From what I can tell it is actually a trial of full Stadia Pro including free Destiny 2, which is what factors into the point made above about player base numbers vs. Buddy Pass distribution dates (Buddy Pass apparently did nothing to help the population freefall).

UncleSporky on