As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stadia: Don’t cross the streams.

1888990919294»

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If you get right down to it, it just flat turned out there wasn't really an audience of people who really wanted to play AAA but somehow didn't already have a console or gaming PC.

I've long said Stadia probably would have worked better if it was tuned to a more casual audience, though that would have required some sort of hook (or at least unique games) to attract the people who are satisfied with their cell phones.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If you get right down to it, it just flat turned out there wasn't really an audience of people who really wanted to play AAA but somehow didn't already have a console or gaming PC.

I've long said Stadia probably would have worked better if it was tuned to a more casual audience, though that would have required some sort of hook (or at least unique games) to attract the people who are satisfied with their cell phones.

I'm sure there is an audience for it, but not large enough to make it financially viable. most of that audience is probably satisfied with whatever games they can get on their phones already as you said, and/or not interested in paying subscription fees.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Aridhol
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Xbox Live has gotten that formula closer. People will pay a subscription to play AAA games a year or two after release.

What people don't want to do is pay a subscription fee for the privilege to pay $60 for a game

shoeboxjeddyrahkeesh2000schusskimeBurtletoyFiatilShadowhopeBloodySlothcooljammer00webguy20DacHappylilElfPreacher
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Xbox Live has gotten that formula closer. People will pay a subscription to play AAA games a year or two after release.

What people don't want to do is pay a subscription fee for the privilege to pay $60 for a game

This was also how the original subscription for Playstation Now-via-Gaikai worked, as I recall, and Sony backpedaled from that really quickly towards a library model.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Yeah but Nintendo has that entire market cornered, so

cloudeagle
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I have to wonder how many people actually bought stuff if they're offering full refunds. Like, it can't be that much or they wouldn't offer to do it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    I have to wonder how many people actually bought stuff if they're offering full refunds. Like, it can't be that much or they wouldn't offer to do it.

While that's possible, I think they also realized that taking away games they paid full price for with no refunds would be almost apocalyptic-bad PR.

KyanilisDixon
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    And maybe they made enough over time from the Pro sub diehards that it more than made up for everyone's purchases.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

This was also how the original subscription for Playstation Now-via-Gaikai worked, as I recall, and Sony backpedaled from that really quickly towards a library model.

Yea that was the thing. If it had been like an Xbox Gamepass style streaming platform that would have been great. I would have signed up to try it for that considering how good the tech was supposed to be. You could even have two tiers of subscription, like a $15 play AAA games right away and an $8 get them 60 days later tier. Having a subscription to just be able to buy full price though? With their track record? Nah.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Launching right before tons of people get stuck at home starved for entertainment for a year and more, while both video cards and consoles were expensive and hard to find, with technology that actually worked pretty well.

Google basically did everything they could to murder this thing, it's mindboggling how every management decision made set it up for failure.

DrovekFiatil
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Is Stadia dead?

As a longitme starving musician, seeing a streaming platform fail is good news IMO.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it is in shutdown mode, I don't think it had anything to do with music streaming though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah CDs are not coming back.

At least there's a few Vinyl enthusiasts these days.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    A buddy of mine is a big audiophile. Like, McIntosh tube amp, nice electrostatic headphones, the whole deal. He swears care tapes are coming back all of the sudden.

I'm not counting CDs out yet.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Noneoftheabove
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    A buddy of mine is a big audiophile. Like, McIntosh tube amp, nice electrostatic headphones, the whole deal. He swears care tapes are coming back all of the sudden.

Pretty much everything BUT CDs can come back. The whole point is going analog.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I had stupidly purchased about ~150$ worth of games on stadia before realizing i lived too far north (central canada) to get consistent, playable latencies to their US DC's so, hurray for refunds!

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Corsini
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Pretty much everything BUT CDs can come back. The whole point is going analog.

Yeah, the entire markets for CDs and cassettes were based on sacrificing quality for convenience. While streaming services may be shit when it comes to compensation for smaller artists, no physical media can compete with them in terms of convenience.

Dirty on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Cassettes and lossily compressed digital audio like mp3s I will grant you are sacrifices of quality for convenience over vinyl, but CD audio is lossless. It is as perfect as the mastering of the track and your audio setup is, same as with vinyl, except without the possibility of physical variation in the recorded waveform from minute defects in the recording media.

Vinyl records are a lot cooler as physical objects to collect, though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    NoneoftheaboveElvenshaeShadowfirecloudeagleFiatilJazz
    Cassettes and lossily compressed digital audio like mp3s I will grant you are sacrifices of quality for convenience over vinyl, but CD audio is lossless. It is as perfect as the mastering of the track and your audio setup is, same as with vinyl, except without the possibility of physical variation in the recorded waveform from minute defects in the recording media.

Vinyl records are a lot cooler as physical objects to collect, though.

Same thing with tapes, really.

Give it another decade or two and hipsters will latch back onto CDs.

cB557
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I see someone at Google finally realised that the almost two gpu generations old hardware they rolled out to compete with last gen consoles consoles isn't good enough anymore, and would be mega expensive to replace.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

rahkeesh2000Burtletoy
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I see someone at Google finally realised that the almost two gpu generations old hardware they rolled out to compete with last gen consoles consoles isn't good enough anymore, and would be mega expensive to replace.

The one thing about all the "fortunate timing" posts is they also rolled out old hardware when the new consol generation was also launching.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

The one thing about all the "fortunate timing" posts is they also rolled out old hardware when the new consol generation was also launching.

Yeah but that part was entirely predictable. Stadia launched 1 year before the PS5 -- we all knew an impending new console generation was upon us.

Aaand their response was to tell us their hardware would be infinitely upgradeable and stronger than the strongest consumer PC forever. That one's on them.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    DrovekHappylilElfShadowfirejungleroomxAndy Joe
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    I love the technology but dislike another subscription service to keep active more shit I don't actually own.
    Stake it, and shove garlic in that one.

edited October 2022
    The fundamental issue with their business model was that they were using pretty dedicated hardware and the hardware needed per user was pretty high.

Ideally for a service with dedicated hardware like this you would over the course of the day provide for many times the number of users you could simultaneously. You make fat cash by taking some of the margin between the cost of hardware for every user, and the cost of hardware to only cover peak simultaneous users.

For stadia though the required hardware capacity is much much closer to the total active userbase for a given datacentre, because latency concerns limit any one datacentre from serving an area that spans more than a couple timezones.

NVidia don't don't really have this issue because you're basically just getting an instance on hardware they primarily use for ai research or w/e. It's capacity they already have to spare, is already getting upgraded regularly, and they'll make money off it whether it's being used for geforce now or not. Assume the situation is somewhat similar for MS and their streaming.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ms I'm assuming is just running their stuff off Azure. So yeah Google is competing with two companies that already had the type of cloud computing networks really needed for this type of service.

Thats pretty much why everyone thought Stadia was doomed from the start. google doesn't have the patience to operate at a huge loss to catchup to their competitors. and thats what it would've taekn to establish themselves

MS blades are actual Series X. I'm not sure what they are using them for other than gaming. They can run four XB1 games off a single blade, that's about it.

While there are signs that Sony is developing PS3 emulationg, I think they are stuck running actual PS3s to support their PS3 streaming at this point!

edited October 2022
    MS blades are actual Series X. I'm not sure what they are using them for other than gaming. They can run four XB1 games off a single blade, that's about it.

I mean it's basically pc hardware so could be using them for azure stuff.

Edit: Google of course could do similar I guess. But replacement for ms is a) on a console timeline and b) a lot cheaper.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• CornucopiistCornucopiist Registered User regular
    I didn't pay for Stadia apart from the initial purchase of CP2077 that came with the chromecast ultra and the controller. I played really little, some weeks nothing, some weeks two hours a night... I didn't really expect them to keep the hardware running for free.
    But I have to say on top of other subscriptions and as the only user in the family, 10$ was just not something I could defend spending. If I could, I probably would get a console and get more use out of that for several years, plus physical games for retrogaming down the line.
    Interestingly, I could use Stadia on the family TV whereas for a console I'd probably be looking at something portable, because I have this idea that I couldn't use the family TV. But I just got a laptop to fill that extra time with productivity rather than gaming.

TLDR: I really liked Stadia because it filled a really odd-shaped hole for me, a weird user, for free.