Climate Change: Where every storm is Perfect

1252627282931»

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »
    We could darken the earth with high altitude aerosols that seems reasonable right

I see you too have seen Highlander 2.

I see you have seen Season 5 of Eureka.

And if you haven't, you should. Eureka, with Colin Ferguson, is awesome.

AridholZilla360HefflingdaveNYCGnome-Interruptus
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I bet if we released bacteria that eats plastic, nanomachines that eat co2, and a super ai that controls politics they would Mr. Burns each other to prevent the apocalypse

t1iylq0d7o1p.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I wrote a short story in high school where there was a can of stuff that ate through cityscape alone.
    Was a can of Hope.

Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 23
    I think the original was Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, though in that one lighting the sky on fire was an accident. After lighting the sky on fire the Navy planned to fix it by nuking the sky (which, again, was *on fire*) and blasting it off into space. The sky. Into space.

This was also the submarine that SeaQuest was based on. They had a shark instead of a dolphin and almost got eaten by a giant octopus and stored nuclear hand grenades in the same area as their food supply. Nuking the sky was the least silly thing in that movie.

Hevach on
    TicaldfjamGnome-InterruptusZilla360Fencingsax
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    ...wouldn't darkening the sky heat up the planet rather than cooling it? Shouldn't we brighten the sky with aerosols instead? Get that albedo going?

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    ...wouldn't darkening the sky heat up the planet rather than cooling it? Shouldn't we brighten the sky with aerosols instead? Get that albedo going?

It would dim the surface by reduced solar radiation reaching the surface. It would brighten Earth as seen from space.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited May 24
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Depends how it's done.
    If the clouds are converting visible light into infrared, then yes, darkening the sky would warm the planet. (Which.. I think this is actually restating the next sentence; it's the absorption and scattering of infrared that would warm, not the light turning into infrared per se)
    Also increasing cloud cover could reduce heat loss at night leading to a more insulated and warmer planet.

But hopefully it would be only reflective instead, and only appear darker as less light gets to the surface.

discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    Carbon extraction projects are geo-engineering projects though. There is considerable risk to any tinkering, even to trying to undo what we've already done. Just because we reverse one aspect of a system does not mean it's going to always going to revert in predictable ways.

I agree that mass algae blooms seems an especially bad risk if that gets even a little out of hand.

Definitely, definitely, absolutely do not want to do this anywhere near closed bays, only in the open ocean. Anywhere without sufficient circulation is likely to have nasty eutrophication and create oxygen-free dead zones. The good thing about iron-seeding though is that it's easy to shut off and nature uses it up pretty quickly. Aerosols pumped into the upper atmosphere will be there for years, so if you overshoot, well, sucks to be us I guess.

The thing is, we don't really have any carbon extraction technologies that we know could work other than iron-seeding and planting trees. Anything and everything else is either very small scale or highly speculative.