As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
https://youtu.be/OqsJSeJ_0kU

Did any of y'all get this game? It was released March 22.

I am buying it today. I'm a little worried about progress, as my summoned pals usually carried me through Dark Souls and Bloodborne...

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm playing it!

It is HARD but the changes to the formula are all very interesting. It's souls in tone and challenge but with much more story focus.

I really like that this game has direct tutorialization because the combat is very different.

Adding a jump button and grappling hook opens up the exploration in a ton of really fun ways.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I cant beat this ogre

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm playing this game and dying a lot.

Definitely a From game.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    This game, like every other From game, makes me want to throw my controller through my TV, but for once I think I'm actually enjoying it.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I really like it, but it is significantly harder than any Souls game. It's more comparable to a character action game on one of the silly higher difficulty options. Most minibosses are as difficult as challenging Souls bosses IMO.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Harder than Souls games?

I'm out.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Harder than Souls games?

I'm out.

way harder

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Oh

Oh this purple guy is rough

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I was trying to decide between this and the Division 2 so I got The Division 2 for that sweet sweet loot BUT

I remembered I got a $25 voucher for whatever thru work so I think I'm gonna put that towards Sekiro: Shadows Die Probably A Whole Lot More Than Twice. Ain't got up ins a From game in a skinny minute.

I don't have time to play either but I will have them. And that's what matters.

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Harder than Souls games?

I'm out.

way harder

I'm fighting a miniboss who does 90% of my health per hit. Woof.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wonder if anybody is doing another "no dodging, no equipping, no upgrading, no healing" run.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I cant beat this ogre

Quick tip!
    The running arms-wide grab is actually a sweep, you need to jump over it and kick him in the face. Also, when you see the red mark, just dodge backwards. If it's the fast grab, you avoid it; if it's the sweep, you have time to jump it after dodging.

It seems like the key to reacting to thrusts/grabs/sweeps is to find the magic range/position/dodge direction that beats all of them. If you're standing still right in an enemy's face, dodging left and right, you'll be wrecked by tracking if you don't do it perfectly.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Wonder if anybody is doing another "no dodging, no equipping, no upgrading, no healing" run.

I assume there are already no item speedruns where the controller is manipulated with the runners buttcheeks

• Options

Does it count if I keep dying to the same enemy before I get a chance to dodge or heal and never get to equip or upgrade anything

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I'm at what I assume is the boss of Hirata
    eff that lady

I definitely lost all my money due to dying in that fight

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular

Does it count if I keep dying to the same enemy before I get a chance to dodge or heal and never get to equip or upgrade anything

Only if you finish the game that way!

I very nearly beat the Ogre without having gone to the Estate and
    found any other Shinobi tools. I didn't realize you had to go to the kind faced Buddha to use the bell, so I just kept trying to kill him.

I love having a jump button and grappling hook! And it does feel like an homage to Tenchu, in a really good way. Deflecting feels so great.

• Options
    I'm not sure I entirely understand the step dodge, should it "trigger" when I press B or is it direction+B? The game emphasized it before this fight, and I can't dodge most of the attacks for some reason. Maybe it's not great against combos?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I'm at what I assume is the boss of Hirata
    eff that lady

I definitely lost all my money due to dying in that fight

Get them money bags!

• Options
    I think I bought all I could! Or do they restock?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Ok fuck off game (mechanical spoiler involving death)
    I just got a new dragonrot victim when I haven’t used the rez in like 20 deaths.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Game finished downloading and installing, it's very pretty.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I don't think Dragonrot cares if you keep using the revive, it just seems to be based on death.

So you may have actually sped up the process by not reviving.

• Options
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I'm not sure I entirely understand the step dodge, should it "trigger" when I press B or is it direction+B? The game emphasized it before this fight, and I can't dodge most of the attacks for some reason. Maybe it's not great against combos?

It's good for some attacks, but not others. Sweep moves or ones with good horizontal tracking will beat it out. Hold a direction when you press B and the step dodge will come out, or directionless to dodge backward.

You should be deflecting combos, because each deflected attack damages their posture considerably, and they're basically killing themselves.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm off for 2 weeks after today. Gonna die way more than twice.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I only played up until you get the arm so far, didn't have much time last night, but this game feels legit

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Late Hirata
    Well after beating my face against the purple ninja dude for awhile, I ran in and grabbed the item he was guarding and died.

That's sort of a win

EDIT: Unrelated to the previous thing, welp found Sekiro's "dragon on a bridge"

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Game isn’t harder, just different.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Received a double whammy of rot essence

and guess who used a snap seed while switching items? This guy

e: okay I can't remember the last time I was so angry because of a video game
    eff Lady Butterfly, I'm going somewhere else.

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Continued in Ashina, met the ogre. Fairly easy (COMPARED TO THE OTHER PIECE OF SHIT I FACED EARLIER), died twice I think.
    But
    game
    come on, don't patronise me:
    4s2nxhhy8l5z.jpg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I want to play this but the risk of it winding up a waste of money is too high

It looks so cool though

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Late Hirata
    Well after beating my face against the purple ninja dude for awhile, I ran in and grabbed the item he was guarding and died.

That's sort of a win

EDIT: Unrelated to the previous thing, welp found Sekiro's "dragon on a bridge"
    I jumped in the river and he followed me and died.

Success.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    From a certain point of view nothing is 'hard'

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    From a certain point of view nothing is 'hard'

Yeah I mean all you gotta do is git gud!

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    No the game is hard.

But, remember the first time you played a souls game? It took a long time to adapt to how to play that game.

So now you have 10 or so years of Souls games deep in your muscle memory. You try to play this game like a souls game, you’re gonna have a bad time. Worse yet, you have to unlearn al those years of souls games.

But once you’ve done that, things gets much easier.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Purple Dude
    Oh my God, you can Mikiri counter his forward kick

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

I assume there are already no item speedruns where the controller is manipulated with the runners buttcheeks

Hobnail that is like the fifth time you made that joke

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Holy cow this game is big

It's fun to be at the early days of the release, when you can get to a Land Beyond Guides, where nobody's mapped out the secrets or anything. If I stumble into a hidden passage, or find a hidden boss, it feels extra special. Even if/when said hidden boss crushes my ass into a fine paste.

Also, I think Sekiro might be a bad dude! A lot of the dudes I'm killing seem to be just... Dudes.

One boss spoiler:
    Like, there was this dude in armor who just wanted Sekiro and/or Lord to help his sick kid. And Sekiro said no, and the dude attacked me to try and make me. And as I kicked his ass off a bridge, he died screaming his son's name. It was maybe the worst I've ever felt about beating a boss!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    oh no the first big boy that asks me to counter the red moves is gonna cause me some problems

6F32U1X.png