As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    As someone who can't read japanese

are there different signs in red? Because not every red attack is a thrust I could counter, and I mostly have to go by the animation

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah that is REALLY throwing me for a fucking loop

Trying to fight a spearboy right now and every thrust is a gift, but occasionally he mixes in a sweep and just takes like half my health bar out because I just hit O instead of jumping

el_vicioDrDinosaur
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I died to the Ogre about 6 or 7 times, then kicked his ass hard without even taking a single hit.

Then I realized that I missed an entire area, and a key item that uses what is hinted as being the Ogre’s weakness. Oops.

el_vicioVeldrinKristmas KthulhuEvilCakeAnzekayfurlionstopgap
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    There is a string note in the estates music that sounds exactly like my phone vibrating on my desk and it is going to drive me completely crazy

6F32U1X.png
    SatanIsMyMotor
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I wish the ash had a bit more speed to it. It feels pretty useless in a skirmish against more than one person, which is when I’d have thought it’d be most useful.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

are there different signs in red? Because not every red attack is a thrust I could counter, and I mostly have to go by the animation

No, it's just the word "danger", you have to read the animation to find out what to do

el_vicioKristmas KthulhuMaddocCantido
    What I really like about this game is that it feels like old-school samurai movies, slow approach of two enemies and lightning fast and short encounters that leaves one dead and one standing

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Kristmas KthulhuEvil MultifariousVeldrinCasually HardcoreKonphujunYaYaMx. QuillCroakerKetBra
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Friend bought this on disc but is out of town till Wednesday so he told me to take it off his porch and play.

Just did the tutorial area so far tonight and I am still deciding how I feel.

I am not sure if I am loving how defense focused it feels, attacks have minimal to no stagger.

Parry is low risk because you can seem to hold a parry into block, so parry for huge benefits erring on the early side into block, with dodge/jump for attacks you can’t parry or if your posture gets low. Only attack if the enemy is clearly turtling or in a stagger animation from a parry/dodge.

Maybe things get mixed up as the game goes on but it feels a bit passive.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

im pretty sure things start getting mixed up like 7 seconds beyond where you stopped to post

the game throws a lot of stuff at you that you cannot comfortably block/mashparry against

so far very much enjoying the game... feels very fresh to me, fun fights... cool new things they haven't done in souls games
    the snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

Kristmas Kthulhuel_vicio
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Oh come on (Hirata Spoilers)
    Lady Butterfly is gonna be the death of me. Especially that I’ve gotten her close on the second stage a couple of times, and then do something dumb and die.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I have been playing for a long ass time and still haven’t encountered what I think is an actual boss yet.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

im pretty sure things start getting mixed up like 7 seconds beyond where you stopped to post

the game throws a lot of stuff at you that you cannot comfortably block/mashparry against

so far very much enjoying the game... feels very fresh to me, fun fights... cool new things they haven't done in souls games
    the snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake
    Snake was great. Stabbing it in the eye and seeing how much blood was all over the Wolf was even better.

And after getting to Gyoubu, I'm sad I didn't purchase the grappling attack yet.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I have been playing for a long ass time and still haven’t encountered what I think is an actual boss yet.

I've been having that feeling too although I probably haven't played quite as long

I don't hate it, but it's adding to the disorientation I'm feeling about how big the game seems to be

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    To be fair I am jumping back and forth between two zones a lot.

But I’ve fought a ton of mini bosses but nothing that feels like an actual boss yet.

OK NO NEVERMIND THERES ONE

rhylith on
    el_vicio
    edited March 2019
    Gyoubu's down, and now I'm hunting rats

e: man, it's really hard to talk about things without spoiling them

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    el_vicio wrote: »

https://gamewith.net/sekiro/article/show/8500

Perilous Attack An unguardable attack

Status/effects
    治 Heal Recovers Health
    月隠 Hidden Cannot be seen by you or by the enemies
    回生 Resurrect Revive from death
    毒 Poison Inflicted with the poisoned status
    煙 Smoke Creates a puff of smoke that blocks line of sight
    炎上 Burn Inflicted with the burned status
    冥助あり Unseen Aid Negates loss of gold and XP after death
    怖 Fear Inflicted with the feared status

It's kinda crazy how there are still so much new stuff I have discovered from you folks from areas which I thought I have combed through thoroughly

Peas on
    el_vicioDouglasDanger
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I KNOW tenzen is optional.

I’ve cleared our everything around him and have continued on the path.

But something in me just can’t let it go. I keep coming back to him and keep getting my ass kicked through my spine. Why am I doing this to myself?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    Peas
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I will mirror the sentiment and say "Fuck you, Lady Butterfly."
    I did realize that shurikens can knock her out of her midair attacks and keep the Posture meter building up, and can consistently get to phase 2 with about 8 or 9 shurikens left before having to kill her illusions for more spirit emblems, it's now just a matter of dealing with her new combo finisher and the butterflies themselves.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    IMPORTANT PSA
    There are secret walls in the game and you have to wall hug for them to activate
    Oh my god I have no idea I was doing the usual slashing

el_vicioKristmas Kthulhunever die
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I love the stage where I can read all these posts about these games and almost none of it makes any sense whatsoever.

PeasKristmas KthulhuDrCongokime
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    boss 3 down. Boy o wowwy I got some options now

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Peas
    hey what's the point of having two resurrection nodes if it doesn't seem to actually let me use the other one

6F32U1X.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Good lord, I was not expecting this game to be this hard.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    el_vicioTallahasseeriel
    yeah at this point I'm thinking this is probably the hardest From game by a pretty significant margin

6F32U1X.png
    I fought

Lady Butterfly

for 3 hours

3 BLOODY HOURS

My controller died, so I took a break and went for a walk

then came back and beat her on the first try.

This somehow makes me more angry.

el_vicioProlegomenaJohnny ChopsockyKristmas KthulhufurlionHermanoYaYaKwoarunever dieDyvim TvarSCREECH OF THE FARGDrCongostopgapkimeTynnandarunia106KetBra
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I fought

Lady Butterfly

for 3 hours

3 BLOODY HOURS

Definitely a From game then

the number of bosses I’ve given up, gone to bed, and then beat them the first or second try the next day

Kristmas KthulhuButters
  • MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I fought

Lady Butterfly

for 3 hours

3 BLOODY HOURS

Definitely a From game then

the number of bosses I’ve given up, gone to bed, and then beat them the first or second try the next day

This has always been pretty par for the course for me in these games. I spend a long time learning a boss's movements, then take a break to let it all sink in and Boom, dead boss next time I try.

Asahina outskirts
    Though I found out Tenzen is weak to exactly the same thing as the ogre. That fight wasn't pretty, but I'm alive and he ain't so who cares.

MrGrimoire on
    I felt bad for the ogre but now after spending an hour and a half trying to get him I want to put even more chains on him

6F32U1X.png
    SyphonBlueTallahasseerielel_vicioKristmas KthulhuYaYaDyvim TvarTynnan
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I felt bad for the ogre but now after spending an hour and a half trying to get him I want to put even more chains on him

I managed to beat him by getting his awareness to yellow while he was still chained up, then going and hiding somewhere until he lost track of me, then doing a sneak attack and getting rid of one of his pips.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    I got the weakness for the ogre, but it’s still damn challenging. One dumb ass mistake costs just about everything. Oh, you got a rez left? Not if I throw you off of this cliff, sucka

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I managed to beat him by getting his awareness to yellow, then going and hiding somewhere until he lost track of me, then doing a sneak attack and getting rid of one of his pips.

I've been doing that, but his grab has such a wide range that he still gets me even when I dodge

6F32U1X.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Everyone's got the
    Dragon rot

I am bad at this game

SyphonBlue wrote: »

I managed to beat him by getting his awareness to yellow, then going and hiding somewhere until he lost track of me, then doing a sneak attack and getting rid of one of his pips.

I've been doing that, but his grab has such a wide range that he still gets me even when I dodge

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, it still took me probably 30 tries

LxX6eco.jpg
    Uriel wrote: »
    Everyone's got the
    Dragon rot

I am bad at this game

nah

it's gonna happen

el_vicioMrGrimoireKristmas KthulhuMr Fuzzbutt
    Uriel wrote: »
    Everyone's got the
    Dragon rot

I am bad at this game

nah

it's gonna happen

I haven't beaten any bosses yet

Using items used to be X/square, right

Cause I keep pressing that instead of up

6F32U1X.png
    PeewiKristmas Kthulhuel_vicio
    I got the ogre! Frick yeah!

furlionJohnny ChopsockySyphonBluekime
    I also got the ogre, proving that I am actually the best Sekiro player in the universe and cannot be stopped

now to go past the ogre into the next area--OH NO

6F32U1X.png
    Kristmas KthulhuSyphonBlueYaYaMr Fuzzbuttkime
    I feel like it's finally starting to click a little

At least how to play evasively and use spacing

I think I should learn to parry the big boys better though. Because I won by wittling down the ogres health not it's posture

• PeewiPeewi I edited this in 2024 I edited this in 2024Registered User regular
    Using items used to be X/square, right

Cause I keep pressing that instead of up

Yeah, X/square is use item in Dark Souls and I also keep trying to do that.

It's interesting how this game is simultaneously very similar to and very different from Dark Souls.