As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here ... Spoilered for big
    ak1r4f4jl4xd.png
    Original found here

I take it the next page is nsfw...

Further investigation shows this is in a series of "just skirting the line" oneshots, i.e. there's no continuation of this.
    I mean, excluding in all of our minds . . . :winky:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    BOTW isn’t really just Z1 pulled 3 decades into the future, it’s ‘what if the original design doc were executed now instead of then?’

The whole story of ‘Miyamoto wanted to make a game that felt like when he was a kid and went exploring in the woods behind his house, looking for nothing in particular but pretending to have a grand adventure’ is the line that carries through from the original to Breath of the Wild, but really did get lost in a big way and was pretty much abandoned from the SNES and onwards. Tons of elements of gameplay are completely different, but the purity of that original vision hasn’t been executed to the same degree since the very first one, until BOTW

Javen on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Javen wrote: »
    BOTW isn’t really just Z1 pulled 3 decades into the future, it’s ‘what if the original design doc were executed now instead of then?’

The whole story of ‘Miyamoto wanted to make a game that felt like when he was a kid and went exploring in the woods behind his house, looking for nothing in particular but pretending to have a grand adventure’ is the line that carries through from the original to Breath of the Wild, but really did get lost in a big way and was pretty much abandoned from the SNES and onwards. Tons of elements of gameplay are completely different, but the purity of that original vision hasn’t been executed to the same degree since the very first one, until BOTW

I will agree with this while at the same time asking, is that such a bad thing? I mean, I didn't hate my time in BotW, I spent over 200 hours in it, and I got everything, but at the same time it doesn't even rank near the top of my favorite Zelda games. I mean, we could also say that it's the player's issue, of sorts, that "we're to blame" for continuing to expect the same gameplay as we've gotten used to, but Link to the Past was my first and I still consider the best Zelda game.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I mean it's my favorite Zelda game, but I've gone on the record that it's because I consider it the pinnacle of a completely separate genre (the Far Cry/Skyrim formula, a title shared with HZD) that I'm predisposed towards

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I mean it's my favorite Zelda game, but I've gone on the record that it's because I consider it the pinnacle of a completely separate genre (the Far Cry/Skyrim formula, a title shared with HZD) that I'm predisposed towards

I suppose I can see that, though I consider HZD currently far and away the pinnacle of that game type, considering the level of tease and reward of an actual game story they successfully infuse in every part of that game world. Even with it being a non-linear game, HZD still made me feel like there was always something worth it over the next rise, where plenty of BotW made me feel empty, alone, or worst, annoyed. And I know I'm not the majority with this, and I'm okay with that.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I suppose I can see that, though I consider HZD currently far and away the pinnacle of that game type, considering the level of tease and reward of an actual game story they successfully infuse in every part of that game world. Even with it being a non-linear game, HZD still made me feel like there was always something worth it over the next rise, where plenty of BotW made me feel empty, alone, or worst, annoyed. And I know I'm not the majority with this, and I'm okay with that.

I flop back and forth daily on which I prefer, so I mostly just put them together. The big strikes being HZD has genuinely great combat while BotW has poopy doo doo combat, but I've had an issue where I've now twice obsessively played HZD until the end of the second act* and then just stopping there because it feels like such a natural endpoint. The structure of that story is great, but it loses the overarching story for me and thus my motivation to see it through. And, of course, I can't rightly say the game is better when I still haven't technically finished it :P
    * saving Meridian

Edit: And more directly to your point, I think I actually do prefer BotW's exploration. A mix of the art style being more wondrous making it feel more rewarding to find weird new places, and it generally being much safer to just roam anywhere so I can do it absentmindedly rather than usually need to be on alert in HZD.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

I flop back and forth daily on which I prefer, so I mostly just put them together. The big strikes being HZD has genuinely great combat while BotW has poopy doo doo combat, but I've had an issue where I've now twice obsessively played HZD until the end of the second act* and then just stopping there because it feels like such a natural endpoint. The structure of that story is great, but it loses the overarching story for me and thus my motivation to see it through. And, of course, I can't rightly say the game is better when I still haven't technically finished it :P
    * saving Meridian

Edit: And more directly to your point, I think I actually do prefer BotW's exploration. A mix of the art style being more wondrous making it feel more rewarding to find weird new places, and it generally being much safer to just roam anywhere so I can do it absentmindedly rather than usually need to be on alert in HZD.

Ahh, and see I find HZD's nearly constant need to be alert and sneaky and ready much more rewarding; the emptiness of BotW made me feel like what I was finding wasn't much at all. There was nothing there except the environment, nothing to engage with and interact with in a meaningful fashion, and I found BotW's combat to not be a driving force for engagement since I mostly wanted to avoid it. Which really just shows the different sides we're coming at this. I like a more populated world with more baddies that feel good to fight, and an environment with plenty to harvest, find treasure, and just generally interact with.

This is what made the koroks worth finding, up until there was no point in finding any more: they were used as a form of currency, and rewarded exploration and experimentation.

For me, the environment itself is never the reward, it's what I can do in, with, and around it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They're both games where the backstory is more interesting than the now-time plot.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I will agree with this while at the same time asking, is that such a bad thing? I mean, I didn't hate my time in BotW, I spent over 200 hours in it, and I got everything, but at the same time it doesn't even rank near the top of my favorite Zelda games. I mean, we could also say that it's the player's issue, of sorts, that "we're to blame" for continuing to expect the same gameplay as we've gotten used to, but Link to the Past was my first and I still consider the best Zelda game.

I can't even put it down as a Zelda game. It is a game with a character named Zelda, but is almost wholly and entirely virtually every key element I associate with Zelda games. The mass of repetitive puzzles don't actually do anything and there's zero meaningful character progression. The mass of korok seeds don't do anything that shouldn't have been built into the game from the start anyway. Basically all of the tools of the series are totally discarded in favor of a few physics-based tools and bombs. The environment is a total waste of telling any kind of narrative; at the very very best, you get one of a tiny handful of cutscenes about things that don't even relate to the current situation. Most of the time, you just find meaningless ruins for cheap nostalgic shots that ultimately have no story of any kind to go with them. Hell, the world doesn't even seem to particularly care about the "threat" of Ganon, who is reduced to a bland evil thing with no personality or intelligence.

So there's no dramatic tension, exploration offers nothing more than some pretty views (which is entirely unimpressive in the modern game environment where it's dead easy to make a pretty view and a million open-world games have those), and Link could move into the village of his choice, grow up, and die of old age and the world would be completely fine. An adventure game with a superfluous adventure is just a big waste of time as far as I'm concerned.

I get that people enjoy it a lot and the reasons why they enjoy it, but people also enjoy Hyrule Warriors and the two have about the same resemblance to a Zelda series game.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Not knowing really how to handle celebrating someones birthday in quarantine and kind of broke, I let my brothers wife (the celebrated woman in question) pick out the name of a horse and am chronicling its adventures for her.

#Don'tMessWithMable

Edit: https://mablemccarthy.tumblr.com

Rehab on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So I finally got a Switch, and I've been enjoying BotW quite a bit, although I'd rather either a limited inventory, OR a durability system. The two combined is driving me a little nuts.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    There definitely comes a point where the inventory does not feel limited and the items themselves tend to last longer. A certain weapon that is a mainstay of the series can be upgraded to an absurd degree too and makes for far fewer instances of using much of anything else to a breaking point, unless you just want the variety.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been putting a lot of effort into looking in every nook and cranny for korok seeds, I think part of my issue is feeling like I need one of everything, but then not wanting to use anything because I don't have a backup of anything.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Seeds are pretty much everywhere. Lone rock in a slightly suspicious spot? Seed spot. Rock circle? Seed. Spot that looks good for a highdive? Seed.

Getting them is just grindy as fuck because you have to upgrade EVERY slot type using seeds and it starts requiring stupid amounts of seeds for the next upgrade. Totally not worth maxing out those slots, but yeah, you definitely don't need to do it because later gear lasts longer.

• Options
    Seeds are pretty much everywhere. Lone rock in a slightly suspicious spot? Seed spot. Rock circle? Seed. Spot that looks good for a highdive? Seed.

Getting them is just grindy as fuck because you have to upgrade EVERY slot type using seeds and it starts requiring stupid amounts of seeds for the next upgrade. Totally not worth maxing out those slots, but yeah, you definitely don't need to do it because later gear lasts longer.

I was really jazzed to max all the slots, but I'm also the guy that gets every last treasure on Assassin's Creed Maps, so I might not be the best rubric to measure by.

• Options
    Is three a way to tell how many uses an item has/had left other than flashing red "damaged"?

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is three a way to tell how many uses an item has/had left other than flashing red "damaged"?

Unless you want to look up the exact durability of every weapon, and then basically count out each hit, no, there's not a way to tell how worn an item is. Which I really feel is one part of their durability system that is an issue. Durability, regardless of real-life wear and tear on weapons and tools, is an inherently gamey concept, but not allowing a person to see when an object has become weakened, while seemingly less gamey, just makes it feel like obfuscation instead of reality.

Or at least it did for me, I am sure there's some folks that though it was good and accurate.

• Options

I was really jazzed to max all the slots, but I'm also the guy that gets every last treasure on Assassin's Creed Maps, so I might not be the best rubric to measure by.

It's insane you need over four hundred of the fucking things to fully upgrade your inventory, which is only slightly offset by the fact that the game has like 900 seeds.

That's just ten times too much of that shit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    The world would be almost barren without them, though. They are basically an incentive for exploration

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I found it best to not worry about durability. Forget hitting that bokoblin with a club and saving your good sword, just use your good sword. There's enough weapons out there that you won't run out, and there's generally something nearby when you need a specific weapon for something.
    Any time I tried to create the 'perfect' weapon inventory, I just ended up with a dozen things I refused to use because what if I need them later?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

It's insane you need over four hundred of the fucking things to fully upgrade your inventory, which is only slightly offset by the fact that the game has like 900 seeds.

That's just ten times too much of that shit.

There’s only too much if you’re the kind of masochist who tries to catch ‘em all. The final reward for 100% seed collection is a clear message that that is not the intent! There being a massive excess over what you need means you will keep stumbling across them and slowly advancing as long as you keep playing and will never need to consult any kind of list or guide. It’s quite brilliant.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Playing on Switch I managed to go 50 hours without seeing a Yiga clan nerd. I seem to recall those fools showed up way earlier on Wii U. But then I remembered that I mostly travelled the roads originally, and this time, not so much. Yiga have finally started showing up at random after clearing Vah Naboris.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The world would be almost barren without them, though. They are basically an incentive for exploration

I feel like there are a fair amount of things that end up being incentives along with the korok seeds. Shrines, treasure chests, rare ore, the pictured spots to recover memories, encountering the larger overworld enemies (depending on how much and ready you are to fight them).

And for me I always like get a grasp of what materials I can find in a given area should I need them for enhancing clothing later. I also think the sheer amount of wildlife all over keeps the world from being barren even if the sheer size of the world and relative lack of people out and about makes it feel lonely. Its not unlike a Metroid game in that aspect.

Rehab on
  • Options
    I think the rain was my undoing here? It was certainly a first to have that happen.

Another thing I have never seen from just this last playthrough is that if you are in Hateno Village and carry a torch alit with the blue flame and get noticed by kids they will follow you around fascinated. I must have always lit all the lantern posts at hours they weren't around before. Was just a neat little detail.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A passing thought about the durability math: durability pretty much always tracks with damage, with the rare exception of like those Royal Guard weapons that are super strong but also flimsy. That means that restricting yourself to weak weapons for weak enemies will see more weapon breakage overall because you'll have to use more of the fewer available strikes to kill it. Your strong weapons aren't actually "wasted" on small-fry other than, like, bats or animals.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    My complaint with the inventory isn't the limited size and durability. I feel they are just a design decisions to keep you varying your weapon choices and deciding what you want to carry. But given that the game is designed to have you out of space constantly, I really wish it would let you swap out when you try to pick up something when you don't have space. I have opened countless chests only to have them close again since I can't pick up the item. It's a little thing, but man does it happen a lot. Basically every time I open a chest with an item.

Also, you can upgrade <iconic weapon from series>? 100 hours in, I had no idea.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    My complaint with the inventory isn't the limited size and durability. I feel they are just a design decisions to keep you varying your weapon choices and deciding what you want to carry. But given that the game is designed to have you out of space constantly, I really wish it would let you swap out when you try to pick up something when you don't have space. I have opened countless chests only to have them close again since I can't pick up the item. It's a little thing, but man does it happen a lot. Basically every time I open a chest with an item.

Also, you can upgrade <iconic weapon from series>? 100 hours in, I had no idea.

It's one of the DLCs - once you acquire it, go back to where you got it from and well... try putting it back.

The challange is (Semi) brutal, but the first part is the worst. It's pretty smooth sailing once you understand you can go in with a 30 minute Attack +3 buff, and it is good at teaching you to use all your tricks.

plus the end reward is a massively increased duraibltiy to iconic weapon (To like, a crazy degree - it still runs out, and recharges, but it's much, much harder to make it run out) AND it has base 60 power all the time.

Making it the strongest one hander outside of like, Savage Lynel weaponry?

It's real frigging good.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I used a guide to help me through the Master Trials and I have no regrets.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The big one to know about, esp on hard mode is the back-stab combo to deal with the stupid, stupid silver Lizfalos at the end of the first challange. Otherwise, being sensible about getting all the secrets in a level, and using your resoruces wisely is what the story's all about. i really enjoyed the challenge of it overall! (Also i did the entire thing on Master Mode, because i am crazy)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I'd done basically everything when I tried the master trial, and I got to the rock boss and it killed me in a single hit and I was like, "Nope. This is not a level of challenge I ever want from my Zelda games", and bailed. YMMV.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I found it best to not worry about durability. Forget hitting that bokoblin with a club and saving your good sword, just use your good sword. There's enough weapons out there that you won't run out, and there's generally something nearby when you need a specific weapon for something.
    Any time I tried to create the 'perfect' weapon inventory, I just ended up with a dozen things I refused to use because what if I need them later?

But my elixirs! [/whine]

• Options
    I feel like it should be mentioned maxing out all the inventory slots is largely meaningless. Pick up a few extra bow slots, maybe one more shield slot, and then dump the rest into weapons and you'll be fine. Not counting mistiming guardian shots I broke maybe three shields across my entire playthrough and arrows quickly become a bigger bottleneck to bow usage than how many you can carry at one time.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I feel like it should be mentioned maxing out all the inventory slots is largely meaningless. Pick up a few extra bow slots, maybe one more shield slot, and then dump the rest into weapons and you'll be fine. Not counting mistiming guardian shots I broke maybe three shields across my entire playthrough and arrows quickly become a bigger bottleneck to bow usage than how many you can carry at one time.

You weren't shieldboarding enough.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Meanwhile, I broke around 70-100 shields of varying quality because until I had to with Lynels, I wasn't doing the dodge moves because I couldn't get the timing right. So I was blocking constantly, because that's what you do in a Zelda game; dodge rolling is for Dark Souls (and even there I constantly turtle unless it just won't work). And I broke two tons of any other items, bows and weapons and other things like torches, even. I even ran out of melee weapons early on, and had to scrounge for sticks and rusty weapons. I never actually ran out of bows, but that was because I found a few right around the time my last bow was going to break (the warning came up).

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    The meanest thing they did in Master Mode was to change the timing for the Guardian beams. I had finally gotten good at deflecting them based on the sound they make when they fire when Master Mode came out. I died more than I'd care to admit trying to deflect those beams.

• Options
    So, I got all excited for unlocking horses, named my first one Eponalite, rode it around some, and then realized my preferred method of travel is climbing something big and gliding there. Rain sucks.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

You weren't shieldboarding enough.

If you liked shieldboarding that's fine, but for me that's a mechanic that exists to be used in one minigame and never touched again. The big strike being that I never got tired of paragliding so I could just do that to get where I need to go while having fun and not expending any resources.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    For whatever reason, my brain seemed to actively reject the timing and combination of button presses required to shield-surf. Like I'd look it up whenever I needed it for a mini-game/Korok seed/whatever, retain it for long enough to do the activity, and then it'd be gone from mind immediately after, like a high-schooler prepping for a final.

That's fine, because for me, BotW was Climbing and Gliding: The Game.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So, I got all excited for unlocking horses, named my first one Eponalite, rode it around some, and then realized my preferred method of travel is climbing something big and gliding there. Rain sucks.

I'm still furious that I can't store deer and bears to ride later.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.