[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

14344454749

Posts

  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Heat Waves . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    hemmelight wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    The chests in monster camps change stop glowing purple once you've opened them, don't they?

    I think Kalnaur is thinking of a more-permanent 'you've done this camp' marking?
    Like when you clear out a bandit camp in The Witcher 3, the marker for the camp on the map will be greyed out to indicate that.

    I guess the difference here is that the camps aren't 'one and done' in BOTW. They aren't shown on the map as 'activities' in the same way.
    The locked chests will stay opened IIRC, but there's no way to know you've done that camp unless you walk up to it?

    Yes, and also yes but not worth it for just "fight dudes, get weapons" since there were better weapons everywhere else.
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    hemmelight wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    The chests in monster camps change stop glowing purple once you've opened them, don't they?

    I think Kalnaur is thinking of a more-permanent 'you've done this camp' marking?
    Like when you clear out a bandit camp in The Witcher 3, the marker for the camp on the map will be greyed out to indicate that.

    I guess the difference here is that the camps aren't 'one and done' in BOTW. They aren't shown on the map as 'activities' in the same way.
    The locked chests will stay opened IIRC, but there's no way to know you've done that camp unless you walk up to it?

    You could always mark completed camps on the map. There are a limited number of symbols, but I certainly didn't use all of them.

    I honestly didn't think about that one, mainly because I was using the markers for unfound shrines, mini-bosses, and areas where chests were, and a few other things, and I . . . used them all up.
    As someone who falls for the "camp checklist" type of gameplay, it didn't really bother me here. As said, they're not really structured or intended to be cleared out like that. They're just... camps with enemies and loot, that are there if you want them. From a traditional open world perspective, I love that about them. But they also had the same gameplay problem I and many people have said, where there's no incentive at all to clear them out in the first place.
    klemming wrote: »
    If the camps were marked, I would probably have been OCD compelled to clear them all. I 100%'d the entire map in AC Odyssey, for gods sake.

    I view them not marking the camps as a mercy designed explicitly for me,

    Honestly, this is more or less why I wanted them visibly markable as "things" on the map was so I could check them off because that's what I like to do and yes indeed AC Odyssey will be "map 100% complete" when I get to it after Syndicate and Origins which I'll also . . . you know, do what I do with every single other open world game that has a checklist of things to do. Like, that's more or less exactly what I love about open world games is doing "all the things" which again. I recognize this is a me thing, as I said before. And I also get why it's not there but I wish it was because BotW and I are only mildly compatible. :wink:

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

  • Andy JoeAndy Joe The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity reveal trailer:



    Set during the Great Calamity. Out November 20.

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane
    Pokemon Sword Name: Claíomh
    IceBurnerphysi_marcMr_RoseBetsuniMNC DoverStormwatcherCapt HowdyZombie HeroanoffdayDark Raven XNobeardMancingtomyossarian_livesJoolander
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Everything I needed out of that was in the first minute. I guess we'll see how BotW2 is coming along during E3 2021 or so?

    I'm more than willing to wait should it come close to matching the quality of Breath of the Wild. Could have used a detail or two, but oh well.

    NNID: Rehab0
    PailryderBetsuniXaquin
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I love the setting, but after Hyrule Warriors I've found that Warriors games aren't for me. I look forward to a playthrough on Twitch or something from someone who enjoys them. I love the idea of exploring the world 100 years ago, and the battles they fought before the falling to Calamity Ganon.

    mHn29NG.png
    Talith
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The Legend of Zelda: Reach


    9e0txHT.gif
    StormwatcherAndy JoeMancingtomJoolanderBrody
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    This announcement is motivating me to try to finish the adventure mode maps in hyrule warriors definitive edition.

    anoffday
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    I have to find my copy... I thought I bought it. Guess I'll fire up my Switch to see if it is on the screen.

    I'm so jazzed that they will let us see part if not all of the world before calamity ganon destroyed it all. If anything I'm glad to play as the Champions too. Already pre-ordered it to see the story.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Andy JoeDelduwathCapt Howdy
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 9
    Breath of the Wild is one of my top games ever. Hyrule Warriors is one of my top games ever.

    I am psyched as fuck right now. If I had the money I would pre order on the e shop right now and I hate pre ordering. I honestly think the last time I was this excited for a video game I was too young to drive a car. I am missing a piece of my soul and Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity fits that hole.

    Nobeard on
    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    VyolynceMancingtomDark Raven XBetsuniStormwatcherXaquinKoopahTroopahCapt HowdyMorninglord
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wonder how large the cast is gonna be.
    We've got Link, Zelda, the four Champions, and a cutscene glimpse of someone with white hair I'm going to assume is an Impa who will be playable until I'm told otherwise.

    Compared to the 29 we got in Hyrule Warriors (I'm not counting Ganon and Cucco in that, otherwise 31) that's pretty thin, but I assume there'll be more. Some villains, at least.

    But if they're going for something that fits into BotW canon rather than what was basically a Zelda fan-fiction crossover, I'm guessing they won't be able to just open dimensional portals and bring toons and wolves and the like in.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Maybe king whatshisname? Kid!prince sharkface?

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • NeveronNeveron SwedenRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I have to find my copy... I thought I bought it. Guess I'll fire up my Switch to see if it is on the screen.

    I'm so jazzed that they will let us see part if not all of the world before calamity ganon destroyed it all. If anything I'm glad to play as the Champions too. Already pre-ordered it to see the story.

    Keep in mind that Warriors games are level-based and we'll probably just see small slices of the world and likely very little in the way of towns and stuff outside of cutscenes.

    ssEXN.png
    klemmingBetsuniNobeard
  • MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    We'll probably get some Yiga Clan peeps at the least. Maybe instead of characters, there'll be more focus on costumes?

    I didn't know I wanted this until they announced it. I'm hyped.

  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Warriors games are level-based and we'll probably just see small slices of the world and likely very little in the way of towns and stuff outside of cutscenes.

    Yeah, we're going to get battlefields rather than an open world to explore, unless Koei decide to radically change things.

    If this is canon (BotW spoilers):
    I'm thinking this will have to end with most of the heroes dying, and Link have his Last Stand, Halo Reach-style against a metric fuckton of Guardians. I'd like to see how that works out if so, as 1 vs 1000 is the typical thing in these games, and you could just keep going for hours once you're used to the enemies.
    If I were making it I'd have Link get exhausted every few hundred enemies he fights, so you actually slow down.
    Eventually you'll be too slow to actually defend yourself, and they can finally put you in your canon healing coma.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    BetsuniPolaritieKalnaurKoopahTroopahBrody
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    edited September 9
    Neveron wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I have to find my copy... I thought I bought it. Guess I'll fire up my Switch to see if it is on the screen.

    I'm so jazzed that they will let us see part if not all of the world before calamity ganon destroyed it all. If anything I'm glad to play as the Champions too. Already pre-ordered it to see the story.

    Keep in mind that Warriors games are level-based and we'll probably just see small slices of the world and likely very little in the way of towns and stuff outside of cutscenes.

    Yeah, I have liked previous Warrior games so my mind is preparing myself for smaller maps. I would love to see the final battle at Akkala Citadel at least.

    Edit: Apparently I never bought the first Hyrule Warriors... This makes me sad since it apparently is no longer in print since all the normal sites have it out of stock or preowned only (and digital). Guess I was considering it but never pulled the trigger.

    Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Polaritie
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I wonder how large the cast is gonna be.
    We've got Link, Zelda, the four Champions, and a cutscene glimpse of someone with white hair I'm going to assume is an Impa who will be playable until I'm told otherwise.

    Compared to the 29 we got in Hyrule Warriors (I'm not counting Ganon and Cucco in that, otherwise 31) that's pretty thin, but I assume there'll be more. Some villains, at least.

    But if they're going for something that fits into BotW canon rather than what was basically a Zelda fan-fiction crossover, I'm guessing they won't be able to just open dimensional portals and bring toons and wolves and the like in.

    Purrah, Robbie, King Donphan (who canonically threw a guardian off a cliff all by himself), Prince Sidon (might be too young?), I'd imagine at least one of each race aside from the champions, King Rhoam (sp?), ummmmmm and the rest!

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    My roster idea, just off the cuff:
    Link
    Zelda
    The Champions
    Impa
    Purrah
    Master Kohga (betrays the Shiekah, forming the Yiga clan)
    A generic over-dressed-yet-under-dressed anime girl with impossible hair
    Zelda’s dad
    Zora king
    Ancient Shiekah monk (somehow reconcile how they and the ninjas are the same group)
    The monster equipment salesman
    Several koroks / that larger one
    Spinch

    BetsuniKoopahTroopah
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited September 9
    My roster idea, just off the cuff:
    Link
    ...
    A generic over-dressed-yet-under-dressed anime girl with impossible hair

    But you repeat yourself.

    Surprised to see no mention of Beedle.

    Also let me play as a stalhorse you cowards.

    Delduwath on
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited September 9
    My roster idea, just off the cuff:
    Link
    Zelda
    The Champions
    Impa
    Purrah
    Master Kohga (betrays the Shiekah, forming the Yiga clan)
    A generic over-dressed-yet-under-dressed anime girl with impossible hair
    Zelda’s dad
    Zora king
    Ancient Shiekah monk (somehow reconcile how they and the ninjas are the same group)
    The monster equipment salesman
    Several koroks / that larger one
    Spinch

    I am ready to fight bokoblins with Hestu and his maracas.

    Edit: oh and Kilton with the spring-loaded hammer!

    Nobeard on
    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    BetsuniKalnaurjkylefultonBrody
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    .
    klemming wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Warriors games are level-based and we'll probably just see small slices of the world and likely very little in the way of towns and stuff outside of cutscenes.

    Yeah, we're going to get battlefields rather than an open world to explore, unless Koei decide to radically change things.

    If this is canon (BotW spoilers):
    I'm thinking this will have to end with most of the heroes dying, and Link have his Last Stand, Halo Reach-style against a metric fuckton of Guardians. I'd like to see how that works out if so, as 1 vs 1000 is the typical thing in these games, and you could just keep going for hours once you're used to the enemies.
    If I were making it I'd have Link get exhausted every few hundred enemies he fights, so you actually slow down.
    Eventually you'll be too slow to actually defend yourself, and they can finally put you in your canon healing coma.

    The most recent Dynasty Warriors (9) was pretty much an open world game, even with shit like towers to recon the area, crafting, and fishing. It was also horrendous though. Instead of battles being pitched things where you quickly jump from one melee to the next, you have to schlep your slow ass all over the place. Basically, it just added a bunch of generic open world crap, increased sprawl by tenfold, and slowed battle progress to a crawl. It really does not fit with the game engine or design at all, unless the travel time between fights is what you play them for.

  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My roster idea, just off the cuff:
    Link
    Zelda
    The Champions
    Impa
    Purrah
    Master Kohga (betrays the Shiekah, forming the Yiga clan)
    A generic over-dressed-yet-under-dressed anime girl with impossible hair
    Zelda’s dad
    Zora king
    Ancient Shiekah monk (somehow reconcile how they and the ninjas are the same group)
    The monster equipment salesman
    Several koroks / that larger one
    Spinch

    Playing as several koroks in a trench coat would be amazing. I'm down for that.

    Twitch: KoopahTroopah - Steam: Koopah - Extra-Life 2020: KoopahTroopah
    Switch: KoopahTroopah - PSN: Koopah089
    IceBurnerKalnaurNobeard
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 9
    Xaquin wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I wonder how large the cast is gonna be.
    We've got Link, Zelda, the four Champions, and a cutscene glimpse of someone with white hair I'm going to assume is an Impa who will be playable until I'm told otherwise.

    Compared to the 29 we got in Hyrule Warriors (I'm not counting Ganon and Cucco in that, otherwise 31) that's pretty thin, but I assume there'll be more. Some villains, at least.

    But if they're going for something that fits into BotW canon rather than what was basically a Zelda fan-fiction crossover, I'm guessing they won't be able to just open dimensional portals and bring toons and wolves and the like in.

    Purrah, Robbie, King Donphan (who canonically threw a guardian off a cliff all by himself), Prince Sidon (might be too young?), I'd imagine at least one of each race aside from the champions, King Rhoam (sp?), ummmmmm and the rest!
    232Donphan.png?

    Terrendos on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I wonder how large the cast is gonna be.
    We've got Link, Zelda, the four Champions, and a cutscene glimpse of someone with white hair I'm going to assume is an Impa who will be playable until I'm told otherwise.

    Compared to the 29 we got in Hyrule Warriors (I'm not counting Ganon and Cucco in that, otherwise 31) that's pretty thin, but I assume there'll be more. Some villains, at least.

    But if they're going for something that fits into BotW canon rather than what was basically a Zelda fan-fiction crossover, I'm guessing they won't be able to just open dimensional portals and bring toons and wolves and the like in.

    Purrah, Robbie, King Donphan (who canonically threw a guardian off a cliff all by himself), Prince Sidon (might be too young?), I'd imagine at least one of each race aside from the champions, King Rhoam (sp?), ummmmmm and the rest!
    232Donphan.png?

    Nono, its king donphan:
    c6z2appeqamz.tiff

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Joolander
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    There's going to be enemy commanders. Which means good odds they'll be playable too.

    I don't know if they're going to hold a "BotW" human Ganondorf close to their chest, or if this is the game they reveal him. But if they do, boy howdy he better be playable too.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Pre-dehydrated Ganondorf? Yes please. Maybe we'll get to see what dehydrated him in the first place.

    Kalnaur
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I forgot Sidon was the younger brother and quite small during the calamity.

    mHn29NG.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I forgot Sidon was the younger brother and quite small during the calamity.

    He's virtually a toddler.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    KalnaurXaquinStormwatcherBetsunijkylefultonNobeardMNC Dover
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    And now I'm tearing up because Mipha has do die and leave kid Sidon alone yet he more than keeps his promise to his sister.

    :cry:

    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    StormwatcherXaquinBetsunijkylefultonMorninglord
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I don't know that we should assume the same metric ass ton of repetitive content as the last generation of warriors games. P5 Scramble/Strikers showed that Koei/Tecmo can shake up their comfortable formula and make something more varied and tailored to the IP. With them showing off puzzles and climbing there might be something similar going on with this game. So yeah there might be fewer characters but for example, focused more on matching unique abilities to paths designed specifically for them, filled with bespoke cutscenes, challenges, etc. I'd still expect a few more characters but it doesn't have to match the first game, as this one is probably taking some detours from pure mindless grinding.

  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    But I like the mindless grinding.
    Seriously, if they take too much of it out, they're going to get complaints.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    PailryderNobeardCapt Howdy
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    And now I'm tearing up because Mipha has do die and leave kid Sidon alone yet he more than keeps his promise to his sister.

    :cry:

    BotW is just extraordinarily great

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    XaquinBetsuniSmrtnikjkylefultonKoopahTroopahNobeardCapt HowdyRehabDoctorArchCalica
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Paya

    I don't care it doesn't make sense.

    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    Mr_RoseNobeardRidleySaria
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What about Purah? She’s old enough to be around then, being Impa’s elder sister.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    There will likely be additional characters who won't be playable (or even make sense) in story mode but will be available for adventure mode.

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Andy JoeVyolynceNobeardNeveron
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Hyrule Warriors had it's main story mode then added a bunch of random ass content for characters like Tingle and Ravio. No reason they couldn't do the same for AoC.

    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
    Capt HowdyBarrakkethAbsoluteZero
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, but its base story was 'holes in space/time/dimensions open up and all the game characters meet up', which sets up whatever you want. That's just a bit too fan-fiction crossover in tone when you're trying to do a serious prequel about the Calamity.
    Unless they're not trying to do a serious prequel, which will take a lot of the impact away from it. I doubt Nintendo would want to do that.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    KalnaurjkylefultonTamerBill
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I'm saying they can have the serious storyline and then fanfic shenanigans totally separate. I dunno if they will do that though. I doubt they are going to go crazy with the number of characters like we saw before. I'm thinking playable characters will all be BotW and not cross game. That still leaves plenty of room for a healthy roster. Also we'll likely get characters from BotW2 as DLC.

    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    2 years after I picked it up I'm still playing BotW, but I haven't fought Ganon yet. 3 out of 4 divine beasts down (lightning camel is last) and I'm just futzing around looking at stuff.

    Spent about an hour last night throwing myself at a silver lynel and I'm not quite there yet.

    Still an A+ game.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    BetsuniLeumasWhiteSmrtnikjkylefultonDark Raven XKoopahTroopahCapt HowdyOneAngryPossumJoolanderAbsoluteZeroMorninglordNobeardNightslyr
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    After you get curbstomped by a Lynel a time or two reacting to things becomes easier, just being able to recognize attacks as they start.

    Being able to pull off headshots quickly after whatever dodging you need to do (or before he spews fireballs) is maybe the biggest deciding factor.

    NNID: Rehab0
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    My wife came up with the best way to learn how to take on a Lynel... She did a challenge to take on the white one on the Great Plateau in Master Mode with just the gear and food you find on the Great Plateau before you leave it. That means sneaking and getting the Bladed Rhino beetles near the shrine of resurrection for an attack boost.

    She did it after a while by learning its patterns, parrying, shooting it in the face, mounting the back and smacking it with the 2HD. Wash, rinse repeat and yeah it took a while for her to figure out. It took me twice as long to get it down and one rage quit.

    Now they are fun to farm. I often do a Lynel farming tour of the entire map just to get their weapons and arrows.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Rehab
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Taking down that Lynel before you leave the Plateau in Master Mode is so much fun!

    If Link were capable of remembering anything waking up in the Shrine of Resurrection it would be fighting that death Lynel over and over.

    NNID: Rehab0
Sign In or Register to comment.