Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[The Legend of Zelda] Breath of the Wild sequel in development!

13468917

Posts

  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    If durability wasn't a thing I'd never have stopped using spears and thus would not have discovered how to use boomerangs and two-handers properly, so I considered it a net positive.

    It's like that thing hbomb talked up about how Bloodborne forced people to learn to play Dark Souls the "right" way by taking away the shield. You need a way to combat complacency; having a "safe" option you can always default back to will prey on a lot of people's lizard brains and lead them down a boring path.

    Why? Why do I need to learn to use another weapon if I'm enjoying a different one?

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    The weapon system is very good at the very start of the game when you are just a scrappy boy with no shirt but then becomes a pointless chore when you are figuring out which ancient magical sword of your 5 ancient magical swords has more juice in it

    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

    https://medium.com/@alascii
    SmrtnikNightslyrAxenRoad BlockFencingsax
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I think a good example to take notes from would be the Souls games. They have weapon durability, shit can break, there are a bunch of different weapons all with their own styles, each weapon is viable and it just comes down to what you personally enjoy using. Though some weapons are better for certain situations than others, but not so much so as to make you feel gimped for not using it.

    Or put simply, I would rather the game didn't break my things constantly to get me to try new weapons and instead encouraged me to try new weapons because they're fun/challenging.

    Xaquin
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    The only thing that was irritating was I couldn't find enough good single handed weapons. I never got to use shields for combat because all I could find were two handed swords so I had 1 single I kept for when I needed a shield, and then a ton of two handed and one hammer.

    If you're going to make me hunt for weapons, at least allow me to find ones I like.

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    SmrtnikNightslyr
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! Registered User regular
    But I haven't even beaten the first Breath of the Wild (or any other Zelda game for that matter!)

    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    But I haven't even beaten the first Breath of the Wild (or any other Zelda game for that matter!)

    Well you have at least a year. Better get to it!

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    XaquinFencingsaxXerink
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I think we're getting it November 2020. BotW2 and Animal Crossing will be the two big Nintendo releases next year.

    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 12
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/12/breath-of-the-wild-sequel-team-drew-inspiration-from-red-dead-redemption-2-e3-2019
    This morning, Nintendo revealed it’s working on a sequel to Breath of the Wild, and we later learned it’s not related to Majora’s Mask - in fact, it’s even darker.
    GIVE ME ALL THE EDGE.

    I am so fucking ready.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Ab3HW.png
    FF14: Buckle Landrunner
    Steam Profile
    3DS FC: 1246-9730-5556
    WACriminalAxenNightslyrMNC DoverKing RiptorFencingsaxZilla360The Escape GoatKoopahTroopahNobeard
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I wonder if, like RDR2, this will have a road that kills horses.

    No wait, I got it. Not only will weapons have durability, horses will as well.

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/12/breath-of-the-wild-sequel-team-drew-inspiration-from-red-dead-redemption-2-e3-2019
    This morning, Nintendo revealed it’s working on a sequel to Breath of the Wild, and we later learned it’s not related to Majora’s Mask - in fact, it’s even darker.
    GIVE ME ALL THE EDGE.

    I am so fucking ready.
    Oh no. This actually cuts the back of the knees of my hype. Majora's Mask is my least favorite Zelda precisely because it was 'dark.' It wasn't even that it was dark, it was the kind of dark it was, with the weird music, the screaming Link did when putting on masks, the lighting, etc. If they're going to Majora's Mask style Breath of the Wild, I'm going to be the saddest fucking person ever.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I think that it makes sense that it'll be 'dark'. Spoiler'd just in case:
    I mean, as bright and cheery as BotW was from a visual standpoint, it's actually a really somber game. There's a pervasive sense of lingering doom and apocalypse-driven nihilism in much of it. Moreover, Zelda's personal struggles and then 11th hour solution are sad. She lost just about everything, was holding on by a thread, and her only glimmer of hope was her protector-turned-friend waking up 100 years later with his memories missing/messed up.

    So, yeah, I can see a sequel going places.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
    CruorVyolynceSmrtnikFencingsaxZilla360The Escape GoatAndy JoeNobearddipuc4lifeJoolander
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I think that it makes sense that it'll be 'dark'. Spoiler'd just in case:
    I mean, as bright and cheery as BotW was from a visual standpoint, it's actually a really somber game. There's a pervasive sense of lingering doom and apocalypse-driven nihilism in much of it. Moreover, Zelda's personal struggles and then 11th hour solution are sad. She lost just about everything, was holding on by a thread, and her only glimmer of hope was her protector-turned-friend waking up 100 years later with his memories missing/messed up.

    So, yeah, I can see a sequel going places.
    That's why I placed some emphasis on the kind of dark tone. Like even Wind Waker has some dark tone going on, as do most every Zelda game, but they're usually very fantasy or fairy tale level. Majora's Mask though was like some Japanese "ISNT IT STRANGE" fan rom hack. Just a wild-ass departure.

    Honestly I think they might be overselling the "dark" thing here, it might be more on the level of Ocarina of Time, where an entire town is decimated and such. Which, I mean, Breath of the Wild had (multiple instances even, not just Hyrule Castle Town).

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    Nightslyr
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Yeah, based on what I've seen of the game on Twitch (I think I own the 3DS version, and should really play it), the future part of OoT had that BotW feeling.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
    Henroid
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I wonder if, like RDR2, this will have a road that kills horses.

    No wait, I got it. Not only will weapons have durability, horses will as well.

    Good, i hated everything to do with horses on BotW once i discovered there is a minimum summon range.

    steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Yeah, based on what I've seen of the game on Twitch (I think I own the 3DS version, and should really play it), the future part of OoT had that BotW feeling.
    It even went a step further than BotW because there are ReDeads in Hyrule Castle Town in OoT. Safe to assume they mean to imply those are the dead citizens risen.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I have to admit that I did not like the visual style of Link's Awakening when Nintendo first showed it to us. But seeing just how realistically plastic looking everything is in screen shots is really turning my opinion. The more I see of it, the more absurdly beautiful it looks.

    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    dipuc4life
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I think a good example to take notes from would be the Souls games. They have weapon durability, shit can break, there are a bunch of different weapons all with their own styles, each weapon is viable and it just comes down to what you personally enjoy using. Though some weapons are better for certain situations than others, but not so much so as to make you feel gimped for not using it.

    Or put simply, I would rather the game didn't break my things constantly to get me to try new weapons and instead encouraged me to try new weapons because they're fun/challenging.

    I feel like this stopped being true after either Dark Souls 1 or 2.

    I remember that in, at least, Dark Souls 3, I was literally unable to break my weapons

    I think the only real way to get stuff to break was that one effect you could get from certain enemies or barrels/jars in certain areas that eroded your armor's durability very quickly.

    I mean the mechanics existed, they just seemed to stop working the further you got into the series.

    I could be misremembering, though.

  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I think a good example to take notes from would be the Souls games. They have weapon durability, shit can break, there are a bunch of different weapons all with their own styles, each weapon is viable and it just comes down to what you personally enjoy using. Though some weapons are better for certain situations than others, but not so much so as to make you feel gimped for not using it.

    Or put simply, I would rather the game didn't break my things constantly to get me to try new weapons and instead encouraged me to try new weapons because they're fun/challenging.

    I feel like this stopped being true after either Dark Souls 1 or 2.

    I remember that in, at least, Dark Souls 3, I was literally unable to break my weapons

    I think the only real way to get stuff to break was that one effect you could get from certain enemies or barrels/jars in certain areas that eroded your armor's durability very quickly.

    I mean the mechanics existed, they just seemed to stop working the further you got into the series.

    I could be misremembering, though.

    2 was the only one you had to really worry about it outside of spamming specials that ate durability. Partly because it was bugged.

    And breaking a weapon just meant getting to a bonfire to repair it.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    TamerBill
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 12
    about the only thing that worried me about the trailer is that you cold jump to a lot of conclusions and guess that it's going to be set in the same landmass as the first game, or a version of it altered by some kind of cataclysm. I don't have much interest in re-exploring a remixed version of the first game's landmass. Maybe the castle is flying away to somewhere else though, that would be nice.

    DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

    https://medium.com/@alascii
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/12/breath-of-the-wild-sequel-team-drew-inspiration-from-red-dead-redemption-2-e3-2019
    This morning, Nintendo revealed it’s working on a sequel to Breath of the Wild, and we later learned it’s not related to Majora’s Mask - in fact, it’s even darker.
    GIVE ME ALL THE EDGE.

    I am so fucking ready.

    I hope it's not too dark, my kids loved watching and playing BOTW. I don't want to scare them away from the series.

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    Smrtnik
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I think a good example to take notes from would be the Souls games. They have weapon durability, shit can break, there are a bunch of different weapons all with their own styles, each weapon is viable and it just comes down to what you personally enjoy using. Though some weapons are better for certain situations than others, but not so much so as to make you feel gimped for not using it.

    Or put simply, I would rather the game didn't break my things constantly to get me to try new weapons and instead encouraged me to try new weapons because they're fun/challenging.

    I feel like this stopped being true after either Dark Souls 1 or 2.

    I remember that in, at least, Dark Souls 3, I was literally unable to break my weapons

    I think the only real way to get stuff to break was that one effect you could get from certain enemies or barrels/jars in certain areas that eroded your armor's durability very quickly.

    I mean the mechanics existed, they just seemed to stop working the further you got into the series.

    I could be misremembering, though.

    2 was the only one you had to really worry about it outside of spamming specials that ate durability. Partly because it was bugged.

    And breaking a weapon just meant getting to a bonfire to repair it.

    Ohhh right that's the one where it was based on frames and the PC version had a lot of frame-related issues that ate through durability, right?

  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Two possibilities I want to see for setting in this sequel.

    First possibility:
    It's an open world the size of BOTW but it's all underground. Stalactites and stalagmites as far as the eye can see.

    51ztlwk.png

    Somehow it's all lit by, I dunno, a giant Sheikah artificial sun?

    rWVftay.png



    Second possibility:
    It's "open world" but the entire game is a massive underground network of caves and ancient dungeon rooms and secret pathways. You could compare it to traversing Metroid Prime 2. No single room larger than a village.

    CftElus.png

    Basically saying "oh you guys were disappointed by a lack of classic Zelda dungeons in the last game? Fine, now the entire world is a dungeon."

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    BahamutZEROMNC DoverNightslyrEndless_SerpentsZilla360KoopahTroopah
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    giant game-map dungeon is absolutely something I was hoping BotW would have after the early screenshots implied it would have an open-world style map

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    I think a good example to take notes from would be the Souls games. They have weapon durability, shit can break, there are a bunch of different weapons all with their own styles, each weapon is viable and it just comes down to what you personally enjoy using. Though some weapons are better for certain situations than others, but not so much so as to make you feel gimped for not using it.

    Or put simply, I would rather the game didn't break my things constantly to get me to try new weapons and instead encouraged me to try new weapons because they're fun/challenging.

    I feel like this stopped being true after either Dark Souls 1 or 2.

    I remember that in, at least, Dark Souls 3, I was literally unable to break my weapons

    I think the only real way to get stuff to break was that one effect you could get from certain enemies or barrels/jars in certain areas that eroded your armor's durability very quickly.

    I mean the mechanics existed, they just seemed to stop working the further you got into the series.

    I could be misremembering, though.

    2 was the only one you had to really worry about it outside of spamming specials that ate durability. Partly because it was bugged.

    And breaking a weapon just meant getting to a bonfire to repair it.

    Ohhh right that's the one where it was based on frames and the PC version had a lot of frame-related issues that ate through durability, right?

    the PC ports of 1 and 2 both had this problem. They eventually patched the issue in 2, I think in 1 as well but I'm not as sure.

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I wonder if, like RDR2, this will have a road that kills horses.

    No wait, I got it. Not only will weapons have durability, horses will as well.

    Good, i hated everything to do with horses on BotW once i discovered there is a minimum summon range.
    I just never used them. I wanted to climb everything and glide everywhere, horses got in the way.

    SmrtnikFencingsaxCruorChaosHatXaquinThe Escape GoatAndy Joe
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I wonder if, like RDR2, this will have a road that kills horses.

    No wait, I got it. Not only will weapons have durability, horses will as well.

    Good, i hated everything to do with horses on BotW once i discovered there is a minimum summon range.
    I just never used them. I wanted to climb everything and glide everywhere, horses got in the way.

    Why would I ride a horse when I can climb to the highest point and glide wherever I want to go?

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    ChaosHatXaquinMcFodder
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh! I think I got it! I bet I’m so slow. The creepy music in the trailer is a new version of this classic Ganon track:

    ArcSynMMMigZilla360KoopahTroopah
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If you were to tell me the composers for Zelda were running out of ideas and just getting otherwise lazy, and their ingenious "solution" was to just start taking the existing music and play it backwards... well I'd totally believe it.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    Wyvern
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    give me:

    - more monster types, less color tiers
    - more tools and puzzles that use them
    - more incentive to use different weapons/tools besides durability ( if you insist on keeping durability, give me a way to pre-set an order for automatically swapping)
    - actual dungeons with puzzles, enemies, minibosses and more varied surroundings.

    and i will buy a switch for this.

    w98zzq.jpg
  • NeveronNeveron SwedenRegistered User regular
    If you were to tell me the composers for Zelda were running out of ideas and just getting otherwise lazy, and their ingenious "solution" was to just start taking the existing music and play it backwards... well I'd totally believe it.

    No, Skyward Sword is the one with the backwards music. Breath of the Wild is the one where they play it with big pauses between every bar.

    More seriously, the backwards stuff in the trailer doesn't seem like anything when it's reversed? It's just going for an unsettling noise, I think.

    ssEXN.png
    One Punch Man webcomic [NSFW]|english index|original japanese|
    ArcSyn
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I wonder if, like RDR2, this will have a road that kills horses.

    No wait, I got it. Not only will weapons have durability, horses will as well.

    Good, i hated everything to do with horses on BotW once i discovered there is a minimum summon range.
    I just never used them. I wanted to climb everything and glide everywhere, horses got in the way.

    That's exactly what i mean.

    steam_sig.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So Zelda has one of those "I'm a playable character" haircuts that try to completely side step the clipping and animation issues of long hair.

    9e0txHT.gif
    Endless_SerpentsZilla360Nightslyr
  • ChaosHatChaosHat HelloooooooooRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »
    give me:

    - more monster types, less color tiers
    - more tools and puzzles that use them
    - more incentive to use different weapons/tools besides durability ( if you insist on keeping durability, give me a way to pre-set an order for automatically swapping)
    - actual dungeons with puzzles, enemies, minibosses and more varied surroundings.

    and i will buy a switch for this.

    I think the hookshot would be really fuckin cool and I would love to have it back. I would even be okay with it being a pseudo-weapon if it just stunned dudes and dealt no damage. More monsters also seems like an easy thing to expand on.

    I feel like the preset order thing would be just as much work as picking on the fly. Like every time you pick up a weapon you're going to dive into the menus to pick the order? I could see maybe autoequips something and you could set a blacklist so you save you really good weapons but I bet there's a reason they didn't autoequip the next weapon when the old one broke.

    MMMigNightslyrJoolander
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Saw some articles that amounted to, "They show Zelda in the trailer, therefore she is playable." I get it, we all want playable Zelda. She was in the trailer for the first one - was she playable? Let me check oh wait no she wasn't.

    MAYBE THE CRAZY UNDEAD WITCH IS PLAYABLE TOO!

    I hope there's a fucking ton of caves, caves for days with moss lighting and so on. And a hook shot.

    Xaquin
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I would love it if Zelda was playable. I'm not saying I think she is, but I think they could do some cool things with it. They could also have you play as both Link and Zelda in a tag-team, where you can swap between them on the fly and the AI controls them when you aren't. This could open up Co-Op modes, which would be amazing.

    Mr_RoseNightslyrNobeard
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Co op would fit well with what they seem to like doing with the switch. I would be happy if you could just flip between them at whim and the other poofs while you're playing them.

  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Cruor wrote: »
    I would love it if Zelda was playable. I'm not saying I think she is, but I think they could do some cool things with it. They could also have you play as both Link and Zelda in a tag-team, where you can swap between them on the fly and the AI controls them when you aren't. This could open up Co-Op modes, which would be amazing.

    Can’t decide whether to agree or awesome this, but it basically mirrors my thoughts.

    Also, on weapon breakage; maybe if simple hacks and slashes didn’t erode durability but stuff like spin attacks and flurries did? Because mortal metals are clearly not designed for that kind of abuse. Same for shields and beam-deflection.

    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I think weapon durability is out. I think traditional weapons are out too. IF Zelda is playable she will have the sheikh slate

    I suspect early in you'll find "magic" weapons that dont degrade.

    I also think we'll be limited to hyrule feild and the Plateau as an overworld. One thats significantly changed and become more habitable. There may be traditional dungeons

    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I wonder if, like RDR2, this will have a road that kills horses.

    No wait, I got it. Not only will weapons have durability, horses will as well.

    Good, i hated everything to do with horses on BotW once i discovered there is a minimum summon range.
    I just never used them. I wanted to climb everything and glide everywhere, horses got in the way.

    I hated horses and gliding. Fast travel is the only way to go, with gliding the secondary mode. God I hate open world games for this reason alone.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
  • DysDys Registered User regular
    Man what if the castle straight up gets moved to the Dark World and we see a drastically altered Hyrule.

    Totally different landscape of course, but maybe the different areas are in the same general location? Swamp where the desert is and whatnot?

Sign In or Register to comment.