As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Preventing Burn-in/Image Retention

clownfoodclownfood packet pusherin the wallsRegistered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I work in a datacenter with two 32inch LCD's that display our monitoring software. The problem with this is that for the most part, the images are static and since this is displayed 24/7, we are having issues with burn-in/image retention.

Does anyone know of any software that helps prevent this from occuring? Given that it is displaying monitoring software and thus all our systems and networks, the images cannot be obscured by a screen saver and it cannot go into a power saving mode.

I need something that will refresh the pixels every so often...maybe once every 10 minutes or so. I would love to find something that would sweep across the screen (horizontally or vertically) pretty unintrusively. I guess the best example would be the line that runs around refreshing a radar screen. But this would refresh the pixels from having burn-in or image retention set in.

Would breaking in the LCD's be a better option? I have a DVD ISO that will loop and thus will exert some wear on the screens before we use them for production. Would this reduce the likelyhood of the burn in on the screens?

For refernce, we are using Viewsonic N3260w LCDs.

Many thanks in advance.

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
clownfood on

• Options
    thatnerdyguythatnerdyguy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My understanding is that LCDs don't actually "burn-in", but can still exhibit image retention. However, that means it's removable. I seem to remember someone recommending putting up a completely pure, blank white screen for a while to reduce/remove retained images, though I have no idea why that's supposed to work...

Er, here we go. From about.com
    1. Turn off the monitor for extended periods of time. It can be as little as several hours or it could be as long as several days.
    2. Use a screen saver with a rotating image and run it for extended periods of time. The rotating color palette should help remove the persistent image but it could take a long time.
    3. Run the screen with a single solid color or bright white for an extended period of time. This will cause all of the crystals to be reset at a single color setting and should erase and previous image persistence.

thatnerdyguy on