Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Board Games] Amass a mountain of cardboard. If you're lucky, maybe you will play a game

123468

Posts

  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 14
    I finally played some games that have been sitting on my shelf for awhile. A theme emerged in all of them.

    Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra and New Frontiers surprised me not only for having the same depth as their predecessors, if not more, but for being far easier to grasp and teach, as well. The original Azul's scoring mechanics often tripped up the people I played with. Its successor streamlines the scoring process significantly without sacrificing the breath of strategy. My groups understood the game much faster.

    I found New Frontiers to be a similar experience. It uses an action selection tile system that should be very familiar to anyone that has played Rising Sun, right down to giving a bonus to the player who selected the tile. Information is directly upfront. It moved, from teaching to playing, and still got me into the engine just as much as Roll for the Galaxy.

    The last game I played today was Star Wars Rebellion with its expansion pack. I had been holding off getting it to the table due to the sheer size of it and expected play time. I kept putting it into the same intimidation space in my head as War of the Ring. I was very much wrong about that. It's truly not that complex a game to pick up at all. It's definitely a big game, but it only took me 10-15 minutes to get through and understand the rule book. I'm giddy with excitement to play it again.

    Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    CaptainPeacock38thDoeElvenshae
  • jergarmarjergarmar inside your hollow manRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    I think one of the main things is
    Direct conflict: Ameritrash
    No direct conflict: Euro

    If the most you can do to hinder an opponent is outbid them or block the space they need, it's probably a Euro. If you can actually beat them up and take their stuff, it's Ameritrash

    El Grande and Tigris and Euphrates though

    Yeah, area control is clearly an abstraction of direct conflict, and T&E in particular has always been a weird outlier in how aggressive it is. It and El Grande form part of this interesting branch of games (to which I would include Dominant Species and FCM), that are otherwise firmly rooted in the Euro tradition, and could never be called actual wargames, but nevertheless have some kind of "fight to the death" on a common board. So I'll often cheekily refer to the style as "Euro wargames".

    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried the Game of Thrones: Mother of Dragons expansion? It promises to shake up the rut that the base game had been in. It adds the dragon lady's invading forces and her victory condition isn't the usual 7 castles but rather capturing the areas her supporters are in, but you don't know where those are at first and are revealed gradually. Also she gets dragon figures that start off weak babies but get super powerful as they grow up.

    Also interesting is every house is now present in the game regardless of player count. Houses without a player are inactive "vassals". The player with the iron throne marker can choose one vassal per round to be activated and do something for you. Makes bidding for the throne more useful.

    Elvenshae
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited April 14
    MrBody wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Game of Thrones: Mother of Dragons expansion? It promises to shake up the rut that the base game had been in. It adds the dragon lady's invading forces and her victory condition isn't the usual 7 castles but rather capturing the areas her supporters are in, but you don't know where those are at first and are revealed gradually. Also she gets dragon figures that start off weak babies but get super powerful as they grow up.

    Also interesting is every house is now present in the game regardless of player count. Houses without a player are inactive "vassals". The player with the iron throne marker can choose one vassal per round to be activated and do something for you. Makes bidding for the throne more useful.
    SU&SD touched on it recently, if you cared about their take at all.
    The TL;DR of it was that they don't feel the game holds up at this point in time, and the expansion exacerbates some of the big problems with player downtime and game length (Danerys's whole thing is intentionally wanting the game to run long so she can get her good shit). But I never played the original so I can't personally speak to any of this.

    ArcticLancer on
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Game of Thrones: Mother of Dragons expansion? It promises to shake up the rut that the base game had been in. It adds the dragon lady's invading forces and her victory condition isn't the usual 7 castles but rather capturing the areas her supporters are in, but you don't know where those are at first and are revealed gradually. Also she gets dragon figures that start off weak babies but get super powerful as they grow up.

    Also interesting is every house is now present in the game regardless of player count. Houses without a player are inactive "vassals". The player with the iron throne marker can choose one vassal per round to be activated and do something for you. Makes bidding for the throne more useful.
    SU&SD touched on it recently, if you cared about their take at all.
    The TL;DR of it was that they don't feel the game holds up at this point in time, and the expansion exacerbates some of the big problems with player downtime and game length (Danerys's whole thing is intentionally wanting the game to run long so she can get her good shit). But I never played the original so I can't personally speak to any of this.

    Honestly, I think that's something the game needed. There was little incentive to sacrifice your own growth or position to stop a potential leader or help a faltering player. It wasn't worth it for Stark to help Lannister early and it wasn't worth it for Tyrell to hinder Greyjoy over trying to grab stuff in the middle.

    A faction that's less about its own position and more about getting directly involved to delay others sounds exactly like what the game needed. The game sells cutthroat diplomacy, but I never saw it materialize in every game I tried (Greyjoy & Stark were positioned to not require diplomacy at all to win).

    TheColonel
  • TimFijiTimFiji Registered User regular
    We know anything about Journeys in Middle Earth? I'm considering to pick it up, but not sure what to expect.

    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148
    3DS: 5112-3442-2082
    Learn Japanese through video games!
    Steam: Archpriest
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Friend is picking it up but that's all I know.

    OSvv7zs.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    We know anything about Journeys in Middle Earth? I'm considering to pick it up, but not sure what to expect.

    FFG streamed it and NPI have done a review. It's exactly Mansions of Madness + Tolkien + replacing the dice with a pretty fun-looking deck management mechanic.

    I'm sure that's the perfect game for some people but I'm staying far away, I have no desire to put hundreds into another generic campaign game right this second.

    TimFiji
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Tried Unlock: Adventures in Oz. I had given up on the Unlock series, but I heard people say it had improved a lot over time and Oz was their best one.

    Well, it was certainly the best one so far...but that elevated it to merely "okay". Plus it fell victim to the usual bullshit puzzle at the very end that we still couldn't figure out even after looking up the solution.

  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    We know anything about Journeys in Middle Earth? I'm considering to pick it up, but not sure what to expect.

    FFG streamed it and NPI have done a review. It's exactly Mansions of Madness + Tolkien + replacing the dice with a pretty fun-looking deck management mechanic.

    I'm sure that's the perfect game for some people but I'm staying far away, I have no desire to put hundreds into another generic campaign game right this second.

    Mansions app + LotR is pretty much what I was hoping it would be. I'll have to keep an eye out for a sale or trade.

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    TimFiji
  • TimFijiTimFiji Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    We know anything about Journeys in Middle Earth? I'm considering to pick it up, but not sure what to expect.

    FFG streamed it and NPI have done a review. It's exactly Mansions of Madness + Tolkien + replacing the dice with a pretty fun-looking deck management mechanic.

    I'm sure that's the perfect game for some people but I'm staying far away, I have no desire to put hundreds into another generic campaign game right this second.

    Sounds like it might be a good game to get my girlfriend into a game, but a perfect theme for me.

    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148
    3DS: 5112-3442-2082
    Learn Japanese through video games!
    Steam: Archpriest
  • ChaosHatChaosHat HelloooooooooRegistered User regular
    I have played and finished my initial The Forgotten Age playthrough for Arkham LCG. I really enjoyed it. I think this was due to a few reasons. Spoilered for long and for spoilers!:
    I read a little primer on the campaign geared to people going in blind, as I was. Some helpful advice on what supplies was great, as was a tip to play it on easy the first time through since the campaign is a little difficult in some spots. I don't think this was really necessary except for a couple scenarios and I kind of breezed through some areas as a result.

    My playthrough was with Joe and Akachi, I think I've learned that a first blind playthrough on true solo is really swingy and punishing. They were both great. My fear was that Akachi would just kind of be generic "good stuff" mystic and that would be boring, but she was the first thing and not the second. My build for her involved double arcane research so she started the game with double mental trauma but had GOBS of experience. By the end of the second or third scenario she had a total of four trauma, an additional mental from not having a blanket and a physical from not finishing her weakness miniquest. She still never died once!

    Joe was great. He's rock solid and the hunch deck is fun. Nothing makes you excited like a free Working a Hunch. There's not that much to describe about him, he's just good all around (except for dealing with certain treacheries).

    The Forgotten Age was overall a really good campaign, I really enjoyed it. The whole Indiana Jones artifact hunting thing was probably always going to appeal to me more than the other campaigns. This one has a lot of really memorable scenarios, I'll pluck some highlights:

    The Doom of Eztli: Pretty straightforward until the end. I bet it's very easy to get caught out by the twist at the half. It has cemented in my mind that I basically always need to pack some form of movement cheat, whether it be Astral Travel, I'm Outta Here, or Elusive or something like that. There are a lot of scenarios that can be made a lot easier just by getting to the resign spot instantly.

    The Threads of Fate: This might be my favorite scenario. Really felt like a video game with your little quest objectives to do in town. It was varied and interesting, there's just a lot to like here.

    The Boundary Beyond: This is probably the worst scenario here. I found it way too difficult and the explore costs are PUNISHING. I think there's a good idea here but it was just grueling.

    Heart of the Elders: This seemed just boring? It compounds the weirdness of the last scenario since the first half is like a catchup mechanic if you sucked at the last one. So they knew it was too hard or something, but just why not tune the other one to be easier? Neither scenario is that interesting or stands on its own so...why?

    City of Archives: This one was really interesting. The threat of being stuck in the Yithian is a good one, and it really makes you rethink how to play without your investigator abilities.

    The Depths of Yoth: This is probably my second favorite. I kind of breezed through it but the whole concept is interesting. I wish there were rewards for going deeper than necessary. It just ends at five and I had the rope available so I saved it for the end of 3, rope got me to level 4, and then spent the clues to go to 5 and finish.

    Shattered Aeons: This thing was extremely punishing but I don't think it's actually that bad? I think I got shit luck with cultists as I generated seven doom across the span of a turn. Beginning of turn, put a doom on the agenda, it advances, new agenda comes out. Cultist draw, has to go on location that gives additional doom. So two. Next draw is mysterious chanting, two doom goes on that cultist, +1 due to the location. Five doom. Next turn Joe goes after him, he's the only one in a position to do anything about it since Akachi is in a bad spot with health. Move, move, shoot! Misses. Okay I get one more turn after putting a doom on there and my next pull is Ancient Evils +1 doom advance. Womp womp.

    All in all good stuff. Going to go back in on Standard difficulty with Diana and Finn.

  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    It sure is sad watching Notre Dame Cathedral burn all afternoon. Isn't there a game about building it ?

    EDIT- No, but there is a game about medieval politics in Paris: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/213984/notre-dame-10th-anniversary

    Fairchild on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    It sure is sad watching Notre Dame Cathedral burn all afternoon. Isn't there a game about building it ?

    EDIT- No, but there is a game about medieval politics in Paris: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/213984/notre-dame-10th-anniversary

    You might have confused that with Pillars of the Earth?

    Also there's the 2p abstract Cathedral.

    FairchildElvenshae
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Hadn't heard of LIFEFORM, but NEMESIS is my early lead for Best Boardgame of the Year.

    Huh. I like what it's trying to do, but I hate how random everything feels. It also might be the least elegant ruleset of any game I've played in a very long time.

  • FishmanFishman Long time gone, Constantinople Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    It sure is sad watching Notre Dame Cathedral burn all afternoon. Isn't there a game about building it ?

    EDIT- No, but there is a game about medieval politics in Paris: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/213984/notre-dame-10th-anniversary

    You might have confused that with Pillars of the Earth?

    Also there's the 2p abstract Cathedral.

    Cathedral was actually based on the Christchurch Cathedral in New Zealand, which was largely destroyed in the 2011 earthquake. There is discussion to rebuild it, but right now it's largely rubble.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Just unwrapped the expansion for Feast for Odin. After integrating the components into the base game, the box has reached critical mass. I do believe we will have a new black hole to talk about soon.

    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just unwrapped the expansion for Feast for Odin. After integrating the components into the base game, the box has reached critical mass. I do believe we will have a new black hole to talk about soon.

    A friend of mine got the combined box arranged in such a way that it closes completely, but I wasn't there to see it.

    CaptainPeacockElvenshae
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Would love a diagram.

    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    edited April 16
    Just unwrapped the expansion for Feast for Odin. After integrating the components into the base game, the box has reached critical mass. I do believe we will have a new black hole to talk about soon.

    Yeah, I gave up on that. I just moved all the manuals and the old play materials over to the expansion box, along with the extra tray I added in for vikings and coins and mountain strip resources.

    The Norwegians is a high-quality expansion and does a lot of needful things, but Uwe Rosenberg was stacking up board game boxes as a child, climbed up them, put his foot through empty space, and as he tumbled through the open sky he vowed: never again.

    Glazius on
    Ah_PookJustTeeadmanbjergarmar
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Terraforming Mars now has a kickstarter for the game's latest expansion. For those not keeping track this marks the 5th expansion for a game from 2017. >_>

    Elvenshae
  • Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    Someone took the old thread title seriously

    It's just a matter of time, It's almost measurable. Imagination ain't kind on us tonight.
    JonBobArcSynFryArcticLancer38thDoeArmoroc
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Terraforming Mars now has a kickstarter for the game's latest expansion. For those not keeping track this marks the 5th expansion for a game from 2017. >_>

    People really really like Terraforming Mars and just play it over and over again. Also while it looks like a board game it's as easy to expand as Dominion/Ascension since most of the game is just a giant deck of cards.

    I found it to be okay but badly overstayed its welcome.

    Campy
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Terraforming Mars now has a kickstarter for the game's latest expansion. For those not keeping track this marks the 5th expansion for a game from 2017. >_>

    People really really like Terraforming Mars and just play it over and over again. Also while it looks like a board game it's as easy to expand as Dominion/Ascension since most of the game is just a giant deck of cards.

    I found it to be okay but badly overstayed its welcome.
    Oh I am aware. :P

  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I find it really fun and low stress. It's perfect for when I want something epic feeling, but also don't really want to think too super hard about turn-to-turn stuff. It's got a nice pastoral kind of pacing.

    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring Yomi tournament commentary and tutorials!
  • Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    The kickstarter for Anachrony is a perfect example of a game I'd love to play in theory but in practice would never ever get on the table.

    It's just a matter of time, It's almost measurable. Imagination ain't kind on us tonight.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The kickstarter for Anachrony is a perfect example of a game I'd love to play in theory but in practice would never ever get on the table.

    I would get Anarchony to the table a lot more often if my group hadn't been hip-deep in Gloomhaven for over a year now.

  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    Do you remember the early-00s' favorite Flash page (not Newgrounds, the other one), or at least wish you did? The Trogdor! rulebook EP is now available.
    http://homestarrunner.com/rulebookEP.html

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    crimsoncoyoteMNC DoverJonBobGvzbgulTimFijiNipsElvenshaeRickRude
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    admanb wrote: »
    Terraforming Mars now has a kickstarter for the game's latest expansion. For those not keeping track this marks the 5th expansion for a game from 2017. >_>

    People really really like Terraforming Mars and just play it over and over again. Also while it looks like a board game it's as easy to expand as Dominion/Ascension since most of the game is just a giant deck of cards.

    I found it to be okay but badly overstayed its welcome.

    Yeah I found it a breezy time-passer that I would go along with if others wanted to play, but I would never ever push to get to the table. I can't believe it's been in the top 5 for so long. I know people who constantly want to play it since it's been out. I think it's a strong contender for most overrated board game ever.

    Well, actually I would refuse to play it again, because the people who do want to play it always want to use the drafting variant, something that easily doubles the playtime for what I find to be very little benefit. It stops being a breezy experience, but doesn't become the compelling hard strategy game needed to overcome the anti-breeziness. It's like switching over from Kingdomino to Queendomino, and not many people prefer Queen.

    At that point, I'd rather just play Race for the Galaxy. More consistent strategic decisions, more player interaction, one-third the price and play time.

    MrBody on
    Dark080matterHedgethornJustTeejergarmar
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    IMO Terraforming Mars is Hate Drafting: The Game. Maybe some people enjoy that, but I haven't had a good time with it.

    BedlamAh_Pook
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Ask me about my scrotalist agenda Registered User regular
    It's carried by the theme. Yeah, sure that card gives you +1 whatever arbitrary point. But it has GIANT METEORS on it. It's a game that thrives on imagination.

  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    IMO Terraforming Mars is Hate Drafting: The Game. Maybe some people enjoy that, but I haven't had a good time with it.

    It's just that most of the time there's an obvious best choice with drafting. If there's one card that would clearly help you the most, you choose that one. If not, you choose the one that would help your neighbor the most (after spending lots of time studying his entire monstrous tableau which triples the play time if everyone did it, and if you're not doing it why bother with drafting in the first place?)

    This problem only increases as the game goes on and you're locked into one strategy. Plus production increasing cards are only worth it in the first two turns, yet half the cards in the game are about increasing production.

    And I'm not even sure the production increase is worth it in the first couple turns. Every winner I've seen has been the one who plays the big up front benefit one shot cards at the start like meteors. It's like chopping vs working forest tiles in Civilization games; it's always the better decision to chop and get the huge early bonus up front, because early bonuses are late bonuses.

    Fry
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    So, after playing The Gallerist again last night, I'm really struggling to process how sometimes the game can feel really fun to just be playing it, and other times it'll feel like pulling teeth. Does anyone else have assorted experience with Vital Lacerda titles to help me iron out my feelings at all?

    A while back I was on the fence about whether I should keep the game or put it on my chopping block, but I had an absolutely wonderful time with it 6 months ago and have been eager to get it out again. We play it last night and half the players are lukewarm on it by the end (and the one friend who played it with me the last time still enjoyed it, but did very poorly coming in a distant 4th). The game has played out in a strange way I've not seen come to happening after 5 or 6 plays (we almost ended the game before emptying a ticket pile [someone forced that in the final round] and there were only 5 assistants in the international market). So now this morning I'm sitting here wondering if it's worth keeping again. And experiences like yesterday make it hard to justify bringing out over something we know we'll like better, so ... Bleh?
    Is this relateable? How have your opinions settled on The Gallerist / Vinhos / Lisboa / his other game or two I forget offhand?

  • jergarmarjergarmar inside your hollow manRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    IMO Terraforming Mars is Hate Drafting: The Game. Maybe some people enjoy that, but I haven't had a good time with it.

    It's just that most of the time there's an obvious best choice with drafting. If there's one card that would clearly help you the most, you choose that one. If not, you choose the one that would help your neighbor the most (after spending lots of time studying his entire monstrous tableau which triples the play time if everyone did it, and if you're not doing it why bother with drafting in the first place?)

    This problem only increases as the game goes on and you're locked into one strategy. Plus production increasing cards are only worth it in the first two turns, yet half the cards in the game are about increasing production.

    And I'm not even sure the production increase is worth it in the first couple turns. Every winner I've seen has been the one who plays the big up front benefit one shot cards at the start like meteors. It's like chopping vs working forest tiles in Civilization games; it's always the better decision to chop and get the huge early bonus up front, because early bonuses are late bonuses.

    I don't have many pet peeves about games, but yeah, probably my biggest is when the correct strategy is keeping track of large tableaus. Terraforming Mars always sounded a lot like Suburbia to me in that way (not in many of the details, but the style of game), which is one of only a few games that I will flat-out refuse to play. And to be clear, I have no hesitation in criticizing a game I think is bad, but this is NOT that kind of criticism. I fully admit that it's just a quirk of my brain that these types of games are monstrously unfun.

    Now, my wife can instinctually and casually keep track of what everyone is working on, so she liked Suburbia and I bet she would like this one. But I'm not telling her about it!

    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • ChaosHatChaosHat HelloooooooooRegistered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    IMO Terraforming Mars is Hate Drafting: The Game. Maybe some people enjoy that, but I haven't had a good time with it.

    It's just that most of the time there's an obvious best choice with drafting. If there's one card that would clearly help you the most, you choose that one. If not, you choose the one that would help your neighbor the most (after spending lots of time studying his entire monstrous tableau which triples the play time if everyone did it, and if you're not doing it why bother with drafting in the first place?)

    This problem only increases as the game goes on and you're locked into one strategy. Plus production increasing cards are only worth it in the first two turns, yet half the cards in the game are about increasing production.

    And I'm not even sure the production increase is worth it in the first couple turns. Every winner I've seen has been the one who plays the big up front benefit one shot cards at the start like meteors. It's like chopping vs working forest tiles in Civilization games; it's always the better decision to chop and get the huge early bonus up front, because early bonuses are late bonuses.

    I don't have many pet peeves about games, but yeah, probably my biggest is when the correct strategy is keeping track of large tableaus. Terraforming Mars always sounded a lot like Suburbia to me in that way (not in many of the details, but the style of game), which is one of only a few games that I will flat-out refuse to play. And to be clear, I have no hesitation in criticizing a game I think is bad, but this is NOT that kind of criticism. I fully admit that it's just a quirk of my brain that these types of games are monstrously unfun.

    Now, my wife can instinctually and casually keep track of what everyone is working on, so she liked Suburbia and I bet she would like this one. But I'm not telling her about it!

    Man you're in a good position if you have to hide games your wife would be interested in from her. If I found out there was an easy to learn, engaging game that played in 30-45 minutes that was about raising corgis on a farm or some shit I would be telling my wife like EVERY DAY.

    Armoroc
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If Terraforming mars was 30-45 minutes I think I'd play it more often. It seems to take up 3-4 hours whenever people play it at the meetup.



    steam_sig.png
    Ah_PookFry
  • jergarmarjergarmar inside your hollow manRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    jergarmar wrote: »
    MrBody wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    IMO Terraforming Mars is Hate Drafting: The Game. Maybe some people enjoy that, but I haven't had a good time with it.

    It's just that most of the time there's an obvious best choice with drafting. If there's one card that would clearly help you the most, you choose that one. If not, you choose the one that would help your neighbor the most (after spending lots of time studying his entire monstrous tableau which triples the play time if everyone did it, and if you're not doing it why bother with drafting in the first place?)

    This problem only increases as the game goes on and you're locked into one strategy. Plus production increasing cards are only worth it in the first two turns, yet half the cards in the game are about increasing production.

    And I'm not even sure the production increase is worth it in the first couple turns. Every winner I've seen has been the one who plays the big up front benefit one shot cards at the start like meteors. It's like chopping vs working forest tiles in Civilization games; it's always the better decision to chop and get the huge early bonus up front, because early bonuses are late bonuses.

    I don't have many pet peeves about games, but yeah, probably my biggest is when the correct strategy is keeping track of large tableaus. Terraforming Mars always sounded a lot like Suburbia to me in that way (not in many of the details, but the style of game), which is one of only a few games that I will flat-out refuse to play. And to be clear, I have no hesitation in criticizing a game I think is bad, but this is NOT that kind of criticism. I fully admit that it's just a quirk of my brain that these types of games are monstrously unfun.

    Now, my wife can instinctually and casually keep track of what everyone is working on, so she liked Suburbia and I bet she would like this one. But I'm not telling her about it!

    Man you're in a good position if you have to hide games your wife would be interested in from her. If I found out there was an easy to learn, engaging game that played in 30-45 minutes that was about raising corgis on a farm or some shit I would be telling my wife like EVERY DAY.

    It is indeed hard to find games she really likes... but she really likes Food Chain Magnate, of all things, so I am in a "strong bargaining position".

    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    mysticjuicer
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    Just did a real life Escape Room. There was a couple absolutely ridiculous puzzles that I can't imagine anyone ever getting without a clue. I just wanted to see if anyone here could solve them and I'm just a dunce.

    The following had zero outside clues pointing you to a solution.
    Solve for ?

    49 - 188 - 237 - 1464 - ? - 1790

    Solution
    Each pair, the left number is half of the number to the right, backwards. 188 / 2 = 94, flipped to 49. ? = 598

    1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

    What does 8690 equal?
    You count the number of "circles" in each number. 0 = 1, 6 = 1. 8 = 2, 9 = 1

    .....yeah

    MrBody on
    ArmorocElvenshae
  • A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    MrBody wrote: »
    Just did a real life Escape Room. There was a couple absolutely ridiculous puzzles that I can't imagine anyone ever getting without a clue. I just wanted to see if anyone here could solve them and I'm just a dunce.

    The following had zero outside clues pointing you to a solution.
    Solve for ?

    49 - 188 - 237 - 1464 - ? - 1790

    Solution
    Each pair, the left number is half of the number to the right, backwards. 188 / 2 = 94, flipped to 49. ? = 598

    1000 = 3
    1937 = 1
    1834 = 2
    1890 = 4

    What does 8690 equal?
    You count the number of "circles" in each number. 0 = 1, 6 = 1. 8 = 2, 9 = 1

    .....yeah

    I had actually seen the second one before, and solved it correctly. Did take me a while tho. I have no idea how anyone could get the first, props to anyone that does!

    A Half Eaten Oreo on
    crimsoncoyoteWearingglassesHahnsoo1
Sign In or Register to comment.