As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

19495969798100»

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    ]

This month needs to just stop, though. There are too many campaigns.

Agreed. I backed 3 games this month. I didn't back anything in 2019!

I thought most kickstarters would have been delayed because a lot of folks are short on cash. Then again a lot of folks are trapped at home with little to do.

The demographic that's probably the biggest spender on Kickstarter is also the same demographic whose job allows them to work from home, without a ton of impact to their income.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Is Blood Rage as big a mess as digital Scythe and Terraforming Mars were at release? I was holding off until then.

I don't know the game well enough but reviews from those who know the game better say it's a train wreck. I don't fully understand why but I'm inclined to trust them, though I completed the tutorial.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    ]

This month needs to just stop, though. There are too many campaigns.

Agreed. I backed 3 games this month. I didn't back anything in 2019!

I thought most kickstarters would have been delayed because a lot of folks are short on cash. Then again a lot of folks are trapped at home with little to do.

The demographic that's probably the biggest spender on Kickstarter is also the same demographic whose job allows them to work from home, without a ton of impact to their income.

Yep I just went all in on nemesis.
    No expensive vacation just WFH till at least september.

steam_sig.png
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Dunno how new this is, but I just got an email from Asmodee promoting their free print & play site. Probably going to at least try their Unlock and Choose Your Own Adventure offerings.

https://print-and-play.asmodee.fun/

Absolute Epic Level Troll by Asmodee there. The case they give you for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective is the Mystified Murderess.

Hands down the biggest crock of shit in the box.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    We just wrapped up a Sherlock Holmes CD case on Zoom a couple hours ago. "The Solicitous Solicitor"

We have yet to experience a case where we didn't scratch our heads asking, "Are we done yet?", feeling like we're missing something, then the solution telling us we've discovered everything, but making large leaps with the solution. "Surely THIS isn't enough to convict someone of murder?" Yes, yet it is.

The Mystified Murderess bullshit is obvious and long documented.
    The Arms Magnate- A popular cigarette brand with crimped edges at the crime scene is enough to convict someone who happens to smoke the same brand with a cigarette holder???

The Solicitous Solicitor- Absolutely zero direct evidence that the victim was blackmailing the murderer. Zero explanation why the murderer informed another man that his wife was having an affair with the victim. Why did the other man immediately rush out of the office and leave the country? Just because a note on his desk told him his wife was having an affair? Where did the murderer get the rare, exotic poison used on the victim? Well, a tiny piece of paper said one of his friends sold land at a profit, so obviously they were partners, and he used to be a sea captain nearly a decade ago, so OBVIOUSLY he must have visited one of those exotic locations at one point and brought back the poison to keep it for a special murder occasion OBVIOUSLY.

So, no real direct evidence of a motive. No evidence at all of the means. No evidence at all of an accomplice. Yet you were supposed to know these things. All from locations that we had visited.

Oh, and the method of murder? You don't actually discover it. You go to a location, and they tell you, "Oh yeah, Sherlock was here and he figured it out." FUCK SHERLOCK AND HIS IMPOSSIBLE COGNITION

I've had SHCD for over 5 years, and it keeps following a pattern of getting frustrated at those elements, shelving it for a year, taking it out to try another case, and immediately remembering why it was shelved in the first place.

We tried Mythos Tales for a bit. The mechanics are a little improved over SHCD, but the solving the cases just seemed to be a matter of lucking out by picking the correct "ally" to visit at the start. One of them would randomly be the one that sends you on the right trail while the rest (or visiting that scenario's relevant locations directly) would send you on false trails that waste your limited time.

MrBody on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I played a solo game of The King's Guild at BoardGameArena, this plays pretty good... Kinda feels a bit generic, though? But that could be because I'm playing solo.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    We just wrapped up a Sherlock Holmes CD case on Zoom a couple hours ago. "The Solicitous Solicitor"

We have yet to experience a case where we didn't scratch our heads asking, "Are we done yet?", feeling like we're missing something, then the solution telling us we've discovered everything, but making large leaps with the solution. "Surely THIS isn't enough to convict someone of murder?" Yes, yet it is.

The Mystified Murderess bullshit is obvious and long documented.
    The Arms Magnate- A popular cigarette brand with crimped edges at the crime scene is enough to convict someone who happens to smoke the same brand with a cigarette holder???

The Solicitous Solicitor- Absolutely zero direct evidence that the victim was blackmailing the murderer. Zero explanation why the murderer informed another man that his wife was having an affair with the victim. Why did the other man immediately rush out of the office and leave the country? Just because a note on his desk told him his wife was having an affair? Where did the murderer get the rare, exotic poison used on the victim? Well, a tiny piece of paper said one of his friends sold land at a profit, so obviously they were partners, and he used to be a sea captain nearly a decade ago, so OBVIOUSLY he must have visited one of those exotic locations at one point and brought back the poison to keep it for a special murder occasion OBVIOUSLY.

So, no real direct evidence of a motive. No evidence at all of the means. No evidence at all of an accomplice. Yet you were supposed to know these things. All from locations that we had visited.

Oh, and the method of murder? You don't actually discover it. You go to a location, and they tell you, "Oh yeah, Sherlock was here and he figured it out." FUCK SHERLOCK AND HIS IMPOSSIBLE COGNITION

I've had SHCD for over 5 years, and it keeps following a pattern of getting frustrated at those elements, shelving it for a year, taking it out to try another case, and immediately remembering why it was shelved in the first place.

We tried Mythos Tales for a bit. The mechanics are a little improved over SHCD, but the solving the cases just seemed to be a matter of lucking out by picking the correct "ally" to visit at the start. One of them would randomly be the one that sends you on the right trail while the rest (or visiting that scenario's relevant locations directly) would send you on false trails that waste your limited time.

Lots of mystery writers trying to write people who are smarter than them, is the only thing I can figure.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Fuji Koro Deluxe is reel pretty y'all

90y91wmpfrnr.jpg
    ubq4x4d71vuv.jpg

Magic Pink on
    xirj4oxjfp88.jpg

Magic Pink wrote: »
    If anyone gets Tang Garden and doesn't end up with the free Herbalist character, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one free. They sent me 2.

Also, everyone go get Tang Garden it's farkin' beeyooteefull

kizt06hp9b9n.jpg

Just a reminder I still have an extra Herbalist to give away.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    xirj4oxjfp88.jpg

Sniffffff

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

Have you played it yet? We love tile laying games and my wife especially loves Zen themed games. If I had seen this during the kickstarter, I probably would have backed it. Since I missed it, how important are the KS exclusives? I know my wife would be pissed if she found out there were black cats in the expansion and we couldn't acquire it.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914

Have you played it yet? We love tile laying games and my wife especially loves Zen themed games. If I had seen this during the kickstarter, I probably would have backed it. Since I missed it, how important are the KS exclusives? I know my wife would be pissed if she found out there were black cats in the expansion and we couldn't acquire it.

The aren't important at all; just add new wrinkles to the system. Most of them can't be used together so it's kind of a pain in the ass to have them all.

The aren't important at all; just add new wrinkles to the system. Most of them can't be used together so it's kind of a pain in the ass to have them all.

Thanks! I will see if I can score a copy from my local game store. If not, Miniature Market. Then I will kick myself in 4 months when the version 2 kickstarter goes live with cool new stuff.

NNID = Zepp914
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    xirj4oxjfp88.jpg

What game is this?

• FryFry Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Whelk wrote: »
    xirj4oxjfp88.jpg

What game is this?

Call of Cathulhu

Fry on
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    xirj4oxjfp88.jpg

What game is this?

Eldritch Horror specifically. I'm running a PbP at the moment and that card just came up.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So there’s some serious drama going on at the Woodland Realm Kickstarter. They are the guys that created the second breakfast gaming tables. The tables got delayed, which was to be expected, but then the whole Covid thing went down and now things are looking really bad.

There are primarily two guys involved in the team, Nathan and Michael. Nathan is the guy based out of Seattle and the face of the project, Well Michael is the guy living in China and heading up the production. Apparently, according to Nathan, Michael has been unresponsive for a few months and he can’t go and visit him to see what’s going on with the project.

Long story short, Nathan doesn’t think they’ll be able to deliver the tables at all. Apparently, there are 100 finished tables ready for shipment sitting in a warehouse somewhere, so he’s trying to do his best to get those tables shipped over. The whole kickstarter has been a pretty poorly run project and it looks like most of us aren’t going to get our tables.

I have a slim outside chance of getting a table, since I was one of the earliest backers and I live locally in Seattle which is how the first tables were going to be distributed anyway. I mean that’s great for me, but sucks for everyone else involved. I guess that’s the risk when you back a kick starter. I just wish it wasn’t such a large investment for everyone.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Oooof. First Kickstarter, overseas production with a $600 product? That is like a masterclass in how to fail at kickstarter.

Edit: Looks at the latest update where they talk about financials. They built in ZERO overhead into this thing. Goddamn.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's an oof. Hopefully once things restart in manufacturing they'll be able to get some communication and make good. Doesn't look good though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Yeah, that's an oof. Hopefully once things restart in manufacturing they'll be able to get some communication and make good. Doesn't look good though.

Yea, they didn't budget for any problems. Everything had to go perfectly. Even just getting everything here, stored and shipped is going to be a big challenge.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Bunch of shops opened up here.

Looks like there is a sequal game Welcome To: New Las Vegas out.

Im interested but I dont know if/when there will be open gaming. I dont have a group of my own.

Feels weird to just be able to walk into places suddenly after 3 months of having to stay home and make the most of what I have.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Aeons End Legacy was pretty great. Also the box holds all gameplay materials released thus far which is nice, though something else will have to happen once wave 5 hits. AE is easily one of my favorite games at this point. It's plain to see where they took the best bits of AE:L and refined then into the Expedition system in New Age, but Legacy was still a ton of fun. They boss before the last crushed us, as we weren't set up for what he had going on, but we absolutely annihilated the final boss.

pic5459772.jpg

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    It won't let me edit that post for whatever reason, but it turns out we made the boss before the last WAY harder than it should have been. For anyone that is familiar with AE:
    the Nemesis in question has a special turn order card that makes one of his turns do some extra bad stuff. I failed to notice that you were supposed to replace one of the two Nemesis turn order cards with the special one, and just shuffled it in in addition. So he got three turns a round instead of two, and just stomped us into the dirt. His thing is he summons a bunch of weak minions that you have to keep under control, and if he gets them all out you instalose. Turns out getting an extra turn each round makes it pretty easy for him to just flood you with minions that you can't get out from under quickly enough.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular

There are, in fact, literal black cats in the Ghost Stories expansion, if that's relevant.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hey @JonBob time for a new thread!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Calica wrote: »

There are, in fact, literal black cats in the Ghost Stories expansion, if that's relevant.

That is what I was saying. If she found out about the cats and we couldn't get them, she would be super pissed. Rumor has it there will be another kickstarter, so I will just wait.

NNID = Zepp914
    Anyone played any of the Escape Room - The Game entries? Not counting the production of the key box, but just the quality of the puzzles themselves?

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Been a few years, but they were decent. Similar to early Exit puzzles iirc. We enjoyed them, even though we also had a faulty key box.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    SHEOL is in it's last 24 hours and super close to funding if anyone's interested.

ge9fz8cpz24d.jpg