As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    azith28 wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    7th Continent is finally punched, assembled, sleeved, boxed, etc, and placed on a shelf to possibly never be played

Actually I’m deeply annoyed that the game is in four or five separate boxes right now. I really wish they’d offered one big box that holds everything.

Huh? everything should be able to fit into the main box + expansion box. what do you have seperated?

Base box: most of the adventure cards, some of the minis, dice and dice bag, rules

WGUMCD box: the rest of the adventure cards, all the other cards, expansion rules, other minis

Expansions box: 7 empty expansion boxes and the 8th expansion you’re not necessarily supposed to mix in (waiting on more sleeves anyway)

Sleeves box: action card and discard pile holders, weather patterns, hot air balloon (all assembled, because assembling them for each game feels like too much wear and tear, plus there isn’t room for them in other boxes even disassembled), plus the plant minis

Playmat box: playmat and satchel journal (which means the box doesn’t fully close but w/e)

When I get more sleeves in I can probably toss the small expansion box, bringing me down to four. But they clearly didn’t give me the vertical space in the big boxes to store either disassembled card holders/balloons/etc or add-ons like the journal. Several more inches vertically or horizontally even would have at least allowed me to reduce the shelf footprint down to the two main boxes. Right now those boxes are full to the brim just with cards, basically.

Perhaps I’d have room in one of the card trays for some of this stuff if I hadn’t sleeved all the cards, but if they didn’t intend me to sleeve them all they shouldn’t have sold me 1900 sleeves. And that still wouldn’t fix the playmat and journal.

I’m still excited to play the game, I just think this aspect could have been thought out better.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Broken Tolen is having a sale today. Just ordered one for Terraforming Mars.

FUUUUUCK.

I literally just last week bought the Big Damned Crate, Scythe organizers, and the Arkham Museum crate! I'm like... Ugh. UGGGGGH. :( that would've totaled about $50 off.

Edit: Shit, closer to $70.

I figure there's no harm in asking.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Dayum

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    hmm i might buy the scythe legendary stuff but since i haven't played my fenris yet i'm scared to watch the how it all fits together video.

has anyone used that one and can comment on it being worth it? honestly, i might be in just for the idea that i can pull out trays for all the bits and set them on the table and be ready to play

initiatefailure on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    ... Holy fuck, they just gave me a $70 gift card!

Okay, yeah, wow, I wasn't expecting that so painlessly! That is so damned cool. :)

hmm i might buy the scythe legendary stuff but since i haven't played my fenris yet i'm scared to watch the how it all fits together video.

has anyone used that one and can comment on it being worth it? honestly, i might be in just for the idea that i can pull out trays for all the bits and set them on the table and be ready to play

So I assembled it all... and was spoiled. Here's the main things to consider:

First, you really don't need to assemble the legendary organizer until you've started in on the campaign. The biggest thing it has that you might be interested in is the Wind Gambit organizers, but there's really no way to get at those without exposing yourself to minor spoilers.

Second, the Rise of Fenris pieces do have printing on them that may spoil parts of the campaign. I'd say some are easy to guess, but.. well.. your mileage may vary. If you watch the "How it fits" video, you will DEFINITELY be spoiled, no way around that.

Finally: Once you get through the campaign, sadly there is no way to "hide" the Fenris components if you put them away in the legendary box. Some of the spoilerific trays have to be placed above the faction trays. I'm thinking I might make some kind of black felt covering to them, to hide them in the future, but really it comes down to how many people are going to get to experience Fenris for the first time.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    That's great to hear how they handled your order. They are a small business and it looks like they really care about taking care of their customers.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Awesome that they took care of you and good to know on the organizer spoilers... Well, I'm grabbing a token box for Arkham horror and shipping is flat rate so I'm just going to get it all now, then only build the base game/Invaders organizer for now. It'll at least give me all the quick set up features until we can get into the campaign.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Okay, Spirit Island

I loved it so much that I'm ordering the Branch and Claw and Promo Pack 1 now, and strongly thinking of ordering custom discs and another core set so I can bring it to a six player game (that I still probably have to exclusively referee).

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Okay, Spirit Island

I loved it so much that I'm ordering the Branch and Claw and Promo Pack 1 now, and strongly thinking of ordering custom discs and another core set so I can bring it to a six player game (that I still probably have to exclusively referee).

Hold off on the extra base set. The Jagged Earth expansion will contain the extra discs/islands. It's scheduled to ship to backers in May so it's gonna be a bit of a wait but unless you DESPERATELY need to play six I don't think it's worth the extra $80 or whatever.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I just got back from a family trip to Argentina and there was a nice surprise waiting for me.
    The 7th Continent & What Goes Up Expansion
    fPb7qiw.jpg

Neither of the boxes was marked, but the base game is the black one.

If there's some interest, I'd be willing to run a PbP game on the forums. It plays up to four, and I'd be okay with just observing to see how it ends up.

Feel free to @ me if you think you want to give it a shot, I'm reading through the rules right now.

Also, I didn't mention it when it arrived several months ago, but @JonBob's game Filler has excellent art and is delightful to play. I second its inclusion in the recommendations for family games.

Edit: I no longer have any idea how to embed images from imgur.

I figured it out, whatever, I am the dumb.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I've definitely wanted 7th continent and would love to PbP.

Also, is this the link to the game Filler on BGG? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/249233/Filler

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Those are pretty boxes

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Also, is this the link to the game Filler on BGG? https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/249233/Filler
    That's the one.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Okay, Spirit Island

Hold off on the extra base set. The Jagged Earth expansion will contain the extra discs/islands. It's scheduled to ship to backers in May so it's gonna be a bit of a wait but unless you DESPERATELY need to play six I don't think it's worth the extra $80 or whatever.

But that's still in like, a year! :P Okay, holding off on the core, but I'm buying the others.

I can DIY the two islands and player discs, but no idea what to do about the needed extra colonizers.

EDIT:

Beginner Spirit Island question:
    Which "real mode" option should be our first foray outside of Tutorial mode?

- Adversary
    - Scenario
    - Blight Card

Or is normal mode really all of these three combined?

Wearingglasses on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Blight card, then scenario, then hating yourself, then adversary.

Blight card (and no power progression) is what I consider "normal" mode.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Oh yeah, there were those cards. I did not use Power Progression cards at all for my first group; we did the "draw four, pick one" normal option immediately.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Each day that I don't get a shipping notification for my 7th Continent wave 2 content, I get more and more nervous. Then again, I'm not looking forward to re-sleeving all my cards once the replacement set comes.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Each day that I don't get a shipping notification for my 7th Continent wave 2 content, I get more and more nervous. Then again, I'm not looking forward to re-sleeving all my cards once the replacement set comes.

You and me, pal! I think the full orders are going out first. Seems all the expansions only seem to be the later shipments

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      edited June 2019
      Dashui wrote: »

I'm not nervous about it... I just accept the idea that im backer number 43,733 out of 43,733 on the shipping list for some reason. then ill be happily surprised if im proven wrong.
      As far as the replacement cards. My decks are not so far gone that i have to think about that for a long time.

azith28 on
      Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      blight card plus adversary level 0 is normal mode-ish

blight card plus adversary level 3 or 4 is where i'm at now

pretty punishing

sig.gif
    • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
      blight card plus adversary level 0 is normal mode-ish

blight card plus adversary level 3 or 4 is where i'm at now

pretty punishing

Also remember that different adversaries have different difficulties and some spirits are better or worse against some specific adversaries.

I've only tried 1 of the scenarios and I think I preferred the base game, but your mileage may vary.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
      Roxley have a Kickstarter up for more Iron Clays, the ultra fancy chips that came with Brass

They are achingly expensive though, $39 for 100. You got 70 with Brass for $60.

But maybe I deserve more

• AetherAether Registered User regular
      Back to the real world after a weekend con. Got to play a lot of new stuff. Both new to me, and new in general.

In order of play.

Number 9 is a puzzle/dexterity game where you're trying to build a stack of random cardboard numbers following a few rules. Unless it's the first on a level, it must be touching orthogonally at least one other piece. If you are placing a number on a higher level, it must be supported by at least two pieces below, and you cant overhang or build over gaps. Points are awarded base on how high each number is, and its base value. I'd play it again, but probably wouldn't buy it.

Montana is a race to get out all of your camps. You can place camps by spending resources. You collect resources by putting out your meeples to work on the town board. You get meeples by spinning a spinner and hoping you get the right ones. There is some strategy in camp placements, and in an auction that can be activated in town. Good family game.

New York Slice is a I split, you choose set collection game. Good fun.

Leaping Lemmings is about getting your lemmings to a cliff and getting them to jump off with the most amount of style, avoiding hawks on the way. There are bushes to hide in and poop to sort through to get bonuses. More fun than I thought it'd be, somewhat owing to the fact that all your lemmings are named, and you get a little invested in them.

The Flow of History is a tableau building building game. Bid on cards, but risk having them sniped away from you. Wasn't terribly impressed.

Between the Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Drafting game, I like it better than Between Two Cities. This has gone onto the "to buy" list.

Inuit: The Snow People. Nice filler game, the "Great White" grows, and you recruit, hunt, and perform rites that help you or hurt your opponents.

Tiny Towns was fun. On your turn you select a type of resource to add to your grid, certain patterns of resources can be turned into building which will score in various ways. Everyone gets a special building only they can build. Also on the "to buy list".

Spring Meadow. Another game from Uwe Rosenburn where you put tiles on a board. I haven't played Indian summer yet, but between Spring Meadow and Cottage Garden, it'll be cottage garden every time.

Managed to pick up Food Chain Magnate second hand for about half of current retail, so I'm happy with that.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited June 2019
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      Tim Fowers just launched a new Kickstarter game called PegLeg. It's a not only a board game, but a video game as well (combined price of $27).

The boardgame is 1v1 (or 2v2 w/2 copies of the game) where the players are pirates defending their treasure from enemy crabs. You use cannonballs to clear the crabs out, which in turn adds more crabs to your opponent's board.

The video game is the same thing, just vs an AI. The gameplay is basically Peggle meets Plants vs Zombies. You use special cannonballs and ricochet them off special pegs in hopes of clearing crabs. It looks like a lot of fun.

He just canceled it :( I'm sad

E: canceled Kickstarter but will have a limited print later on

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        MNC Dover wrote: »
        Tim Fowers just launched a new Kickstarter game called PegLeg. It's a not only a board game, but a video game as well (combined price of $27).

The boardgame is 1v1 (or 2v2 w/2 copies of the game) where the players are pirates defending their treasure from enemy crabs. You use cannonballs to clear the crabs out, which in turn adds more crabs to your opponent's board.

The video game is the same thing, just vs an AI. The gameplay is basically Peggle meets Plants vs Zombies. You use special cannonballs and ricochet them off special pegs in hopes of clearing crabs. It looks like a lot of fun.

He just canceled it :( I'm sad

E: canceled Kickstarter but will have a limited print later on

Yeah, that sucks, but is totally understandable. Print costs are on the rise thanks to the tariffs, so creators gotta be extra careful with what they make. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
        Aether wrote: »
        Back to the real world after a weekend con. Got to play a lot of new stuff. Both new to me, and new in general.

In order of play.

Number 9 is a puzzle/dexterity game where you're trying to build a stack of random cardboard numbers following a few rules. Unless it's the first on a level, it must be touching orthogonally at least one other piece. If you are placing a number on a higher level, it must be supported by at least two pieces below, and you cant overhang or build over gaps. Points are awarded base on how high each number is, and its base value. I'd play it again, but probably wouldn't buy it.

Montana is a race to get out all of your camps. You can place camps by spending resources. You collect resources by putting out your meeples to work on the town board. You get meeples by spinning a spinner and hoping you get the right ones. There is some strategy in camp placements, and in an auction that can be activated in town. Good family game.

New York Slice is a I split, you choose set collection game. Good fun.

Leaping Lemmings is about getting your lemmings to a cliff and getting them to jump off with the most amount of style, avoiding hawks on the way. There are bushes to hide in and poop to sort through to get bonuses. More fun than I thought it'd be, somewhat owing to the fact that all your lemmings are named, and you get a little invested in them.

The Flow of History is a tableau building building game. Bid on cards, but risk having them sniped away from you. Wasn't terribly impressed.

Between the Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Drafting game, I like it better than Between Two Cities. This has gone onto the "to buy" list.

Inuit: The Snow People. Nice filler game, the "Great White" grows, and you recruit, hunt, and perform rites that help you or hurt your opponents.

Tiny Towns was fun. On your turn you select a type of resource to add to your grid, certain patterns of resources can be turned into building which will score in various ways. Everyone gets a special building only they can build. Also on the "to buy list".

Spring Meadow. Another game from Uwe Rosenburn where you put tiles on a board. I haven't played Indian summer yet, but between Spring Meadow and Cottage Garden, it'll be cottage garden every time.

Managed to pick up Food Chain Magnate second hand for about half of current retail, so I'm happy with that.

I only correct this because I've recently been looking into Tiny Towns and you're sort of underselling the most critical parts of it. On your turn, you pick a resource that ALL players have to add to their board, which can make things a bit more interesting for sure. Honestly though, I'm far more interested in the deck of cards to just cut down on the players-analyzing-each-others'-boards-trying-to-make-the-best-worst-decision factor. Either way, yeah, the game is a standout little title.

• AetherAether Registered User regular
        Yeah, we played the players choose rules, if I play again I'd use the deck.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
        Roxley have a Kickstarter up for more Iron Clays, the ultra fancy chips that came with Brass

But maybe I deserve more

I may or may not have bought the box of 200 on the advice of a child.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

But maybe I deserve more

I may or may not have bought the box of 200 on the advice of a child.

I am holding strong as the 22 chip fill out costs 50% of what a new 100 chip set would cost and it seems silly to buy another set that wouldn't fit inside my Brass box.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
        Unpopular opinions. Played Root again last night, had to be cat again and while they got buffed significantly by letting them save all warriors killed with one card instead of one card each, I still don't like how they can't stop someone from winning and also advance. The game was Cat vs Woodland Alliance vs Birds vs Vagabond. Eventually woodland alliance and I had to spend all of our turns stomping the Vagabond then the Birds. The Bird player got a bunch of wild cards and put them all in Build and Battle making it quite easy for him to stay out of turmoil. We finally had to root out all of his mouse clearings to mess up his recruit. The vagabond still seems insanely overpowered to me. You can never stop them, just make them take a turn out at the cost of your entire turn. You can't keep them down either, they always get free reign for one turn after being stomped. It feels weird to need to spend your early turns wasting resources to kill the vagabond when they are in last place over and over but it seems like the only way to stop them since late game you really can't. I think it would play better if you got some VP from whacking the Vagabond, or at least got some passive VP for controlling area.

I still think Chaos in the Old World is better since you can still gain position in the game while stomping on the winner. You don't have to throw the game to do so.

I also got to play Glen More which is a game about building up your clan holdings in Scotland. A circle of tiles are laid out and the person at the back of the line picks a tile. Then if they are still at the back of the pack they get to go again. If there is a really good tile you can jump up and get it, but then you might miss several turns of tiles. Just like Tokiado. Unlike in Tokiado, when the game ends everyone who has more tiles than the person with the least tiles eats -3VP per tile they have above the player with the least amount of tiles. The tiles also produce resources which can be used to purchase some tiles or turn into victory points in various ways. I had a blast playing this. I went for a whiskey heavy strategy and ended the game with the smallest amount of tiles. Lost the game by one point and would love to play again.

38thDoE on steam
        🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I'm not sure that's a particularly unpopular opinion at this point. I'd say anyone who doesn't really enjoy Root has long since stopped playing it, is all.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
        edited June 2019
        Picked up Seafall where we left it off some months ago

Immediately ran into the same problems:

-rising victory point condition makes the game longer every time, with no real counterbalancing, so each game is now easily 3-4 hours long

-current milestones are either nearly impossible (our current one relies on drawing a single advisor from the deck before you do all the other stuff for it) or completely mysterious

-can already see runaway leader problems, and ganking the leader costs/risks you nearly as much

-the game actively assumes you hate exploring, the only fun part

Getting to whatever the good part of this campaign is continues to be a torturous grind

Astaereth on
        ACsTqqK.jpg
      • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
        I love teaching games

Learning them, however

A friend had Three Kingdoms and gave it to me to learn so we can play and I have hit that “head in my hands, losing faith in my brain’s capacity to retain any more information” stage that these heavy games get me to

Learning Food Chain Magnate was a PROCESS

6F32U1X.png
        Mr. G wrote: »
        I love teaching games

Learning them, however

A friend had Three Kingdoms and gave it to me to learn so we can play and I have hit that “head in my hands, losing faith in my brain’s capacity to retain any more information” stage that these heavy games get me to

I'm the designated teacher of my group. Unfortunately, since I learn about 75% of the rules from the book, the other 20-25% (leaving room for those rules you never do figure out or don't encounter) I learn from playing which causes issues when halfway through a game I'll respond to someone "Oh, that works like this." which leads to 1 or 2 other players calling foul because they totally would have played differently if they had known that.

So I feel your pain, and salute your efforts and ability with those heavy games!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
        For anyone considering the Iron Clays kickstarter...I have questions / suggestions?

The Iron Clay chips are 9.5g. Splendor poker chips, when they first came out, were ~13.5-14g. The reduced quality splendor chips are ~6-7g, from most reports.

"Real" clay poker chips are ~9-10g, depending on which casino you're in. Personally, I have a couple sets (1 set of 500, 2 sets of 1,000) from when I used to run Hold 'Em tournaments in college. I have an 11.5g set of high quality clay chips, a 13.5g set of slugged clay chips, and a cheapie 9.5g set of unknown origins.

I enjoy the 13.5g set of slugged clay the best. You can grab a set of 200 for ~40 from several places, like here. They're blank, so you'd need to just agree on what color represents what denomination. But there are also tons of various styles of poker chips you can grab. You can also spend significantly less money by getting lighter poker chips, if you're so inclined.

You can get cheap acrylic trays like this one to hand out during play for individual players.

You can also get all kinds of fancy/nice wooden poker chip carriers, though none that are a cute little box like the Iron Clay bank (at least that I could find with a cursory google).

So I dunno. The pricing seems way out of whack for what amounts to "correctly labeled" clay poker chips? I got the deluxe edition of Brass Birmingham (it was the only one available) because I am weak and I like to use purpose-assigned things, so having the little containers in the B:B box works great for my ridiculous brain. But I think the iron clays are about as nice as my cheapie set of 500 unknown origin poker chips, and doesn't hold a candle to my nicer sets of fancy shmancy chips. So unless you really really want the wooden bank to store the chips in, I think folk would be better served by just grabbing regular ol' poker chips?

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
      • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        edited June 2019
        38thDoe wrote: »
        Unpopular opinions. Played Root again last night, had to be cat again and while they got buffed significantly by letting them save all warriors killed with one card instead of one card each, I still don't like how they can't stop someone from winning and also advance. The game was Cat vs Woodland Alliance vs Birds vs Vagabond. Eventually woodland alliance and I had to spend all of our turns stomping the Vagabond then the Birds. The Bird player got a bunch of wild cards and put them all in Build and Battle making it quite easy for him to stay out of turmoil. We finally had to root out all of his mouse clearings to mess up his recruit. The vagabond still seems insanely overpowered to me. You can never stop them, just make them take a turn out at the cost of your entire turn. You can't keep them down either, they always get free reign for one turn after being stomped. It feels weird to need to spend your early turns wasting resources to kill the vagabond when they are in last place over and over but it seems like the only way to stop them since late game you really can't. I think it would play better if you got some VP from whacking the Vagabond, or at least got some passive VP for controlling area.

I still think Chaos in the Old World is better since you can still gain position in the game while stomping on the winner. You don't have to throw the game to do so.

15ish plays in Root and the Vagabond is my least favorite part of the game. Most factions either reward you for whacking them or have more passive ways to interfere with what they're doing; the Vagabond requires you punch it, can easily cost you a ton of time and resources, and earns you nothing.

I love the concept of the Vagabond but I don't think it's fully baked the way any normal meta plays. My group found it really easy to adapt to the pre-nerfs Woodland Alliance, but we still haven't adapted to the Vagabond.

I don't even really think of Root and Chaos in the Old World as the same category of game. Chaos is dudes-on-a-map where occasionally politics decides a game: like Inis or Kemet. Root is a political game with dudes-on-a-map as the method of interaction: like COIN.

admanb on
        admanb wrote: »

15ish plays in Root and the Vagabond is my least favorite part of the game. Most factions either reward you for whacking them or have more passive ways to interfere with what they're doing; the Vagabond requires you punch it, can easily cost you a ton of time and resources, and earns you nothing.

I love the concept of the Vagabond but I don't think it's fully baked the way any normal meta plays. My group found it really easy to adapt to the pre-nerfs Woodland Alliance, but we still haven't adapted to the Vagabond.

I don't even really think of Root and Chaos in the Old World as the same category of game. Chaos is dudes-on-a-map where occasionally politics decides a game: like Inis or Kemet. Root is a political game with dudes-on-a-map as the method of interaction: like COIN.

*I've not played Root*

Reading up on this issue, it does sound like the Vagabond is broken and likely just shouldn't be played.
        I'm curious if someone's tested giving VP for damaging the Vagabond's items? Then there's some incentive/reward at least.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
      • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
        I love teaching games

Learning them, however

Let me tell you about trying to learn ASL....

*sobs*

ArcSyn wrote: »
        admanb wrote: »

*I've not played Root*

Reading up on this issue, it does sound like the Vagabond is broken and likely just shouldn't be played.
        I'm curious if someone's tested giving VP for damaging the Vagabond's items? Then there's some incentive/reward at least.

That's probably flipped too hard the other direction?
        Perhaps the ultimate balance path for the Vagabond is to play 5 players with 2 of them, because with barely any additional item tokens brought into the game they should both be substantially less powerful. :P

(No, I don't actually think this is a solution)

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
        Inquisitor wrote: »
        I love teaching games

Learning them, however

Let me tell you about trying to learn ASL....

*sobs*

Learning ASL isn't learning a boardgame, it's learning a language. And I don't mean that metaphorically because it uses enough acronyms that it is a fucking language.

I knew how to play ASL, once.