As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    We have Mint Works and Mint Delivery. As stated by above posters, Mint Works is far better than Mint Delivery. Just be warned, try to avoid taking them on an airplane. I had them in my carry on and they made me pull over and open them. The X-ray machine can't see inside the tins.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Solar Storm is another small box coop currently on Kickstarter which looks substantially better than Mint Coop to my eyes

Also Machi Koro legacy is apparently a thing which exists

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I skipped Machi Koro Legacy and went for Tiny Towns. Apples and oranges, but probably smart.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I’m curious about machi Koro legacy in that I would love to rip all of the cafes in half.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Very glad to see Magic Pink posting! Hope all has been well.

It has not. People keep dying and I keep getting hit by cars wtf people don't run me over already.

Dark Domains is a very nice worker placement with a pasted on theme but really we all have like 50 of these now.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Vast: Mysterious Mansion showed up and I am turgid as hell to play this game.

Also, Mythic Games you are officially sloppy greedy assholes in my book.

What did they do?
    Time of Legends is so loaded with errors, poor translations and misprints it's pretty much unplayable (for me anyway). I have to wait for their next Kickstarter to get a replacement pack to make it work easily.

Everything else from them is getting delayed and I am not happy.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Pandemic Legacy: Season 2: Prologue (no spoilers really here)
    We played the prologue once a couple weeks ago, and lost. My team was confident, however, I convinced them to play the prologue again, and after the first two plague cubes hit the board, it seemed like we had chosen correctly. London is our weak spot. In the first game, and now this game, it has come up as an epidemic city, and then gotten the plague before we can react. This time though, we were more familiar with the rules and paths and managed to keep the cities from getting overrun. We swapped out the radio operator for the laborer due to needing to build supply centers and the limited city cards. Funneling the cards through the laborer from the instructor and using the administrator to allow other transfers to happen meant we got those built pretty nicely. It wasn't simple or fast, but we didn't feel like it was a close game. With a win in the books, we cracked open the legacy deck.
    Radio operator never used their special power at all that first prologue game, as it never seemed we had cubes that needed to be moved around. So for now it's a spare character. In the future though, I could see it replacing the farmer or instructor as the objectives change and we move further away from the havens/supply centers.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2: January
    Starting luck! The cards dealt gave the laborer 2 black cards, and there were enough around the table to get a supply center built in one round. We place it in Cairo since we need one there for exploring later (with the mindset from season 1 that we can potentially make it permanent and as a travel location). Then the game decides to turn that joy into panic as turn 1 we get hit with an epidemic. We draw the card from the bottom of the deck, and lament the lost cubes wherever they may get pulled from. London. Of course it's London! This is now the third game where that city has plagued us. There are now 2 London cards in the discard. We shuffle and infect. London! No time to worry about that now though, as the goal is to build supply centers and recon in Washington. Card draws from the first round are supplying the blues we need.
    We take a round to breathe, restock, and one of our players drops 6 supply cubes in London. Hopefully it doesn't get drawn from the bottom. Another round to put out some fires and begin passing around blue cards. Things aren't looking good in Africa or South America, and even Triploi ends up with a plague cube. The plan is set though. We've managed to work out how to drop 2 supply centers and recon NA in 5 turns. However, we're infecting 3 cities a turn now, and supply cubes are getting low. We can't travel and still hand off the cards we need to win. Then, our administrator spots a possibly better plan. We were too focused on getting the laborer the cards. Instead, the administrator will build the Washington supply center, by pulling New York from the laborer! This drops us down from 5 turn win, to 4. Three fewer cities will get infected, but we still need to survive 12 draws, and 8 draws that could contain an epidemic.
    The administrator flies to the laborer and snags New York, then travels to Washington to build the supply center. The instructor hands a black card to the farmer in Jacksonville, then travels to New York and gives that city card to the laborer, replacing the one the administrator took and bringing them up to the 3 blue we need to recon. The farmer travels to Instanbul and builds a supply center there. Epidemic. We use some of our cards to drop some cubes and take out some cities from the discard pile. It's a 50/50 chance though that we'll still draw the city we didn't pick. Draw 1: Instanbul, we picked correctly and remove a supply cube. Draw 2: Lagos, another plague cube. We're at 6 at this point. Draw 3: Jacksonville, remove it's last supply cube. We did it! Laborer moves from New York to Washington, and recons NA, ending the game!

We ended the game with 3 of our 4 players in plague cities, but because we ended the game when we did, before they started their next turn, no one got exposure! Also fortunate that population only declines by 1 regardless of number of plague cubes because we had 3 cities with 2 cubes each. So kept the damage to a minimum, and Washington recovered a population from the supply center we built.

We also discovered there wasn't a game end upgrade to keep your supply centers, so we picked architect and put it on the laborer, guessing we'll need to keep rebuilding them for now as an objective and that will come in handy.

Three weeks until we begin February.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I played Above and Below and Pipeline yesterday.

Above and Below was fine. It has a hard cap on number of rounds that's a little low, I think. I'd be curious to see a breakdown of the stories and rewards and if they're balanced. I ended up pretty far behind because I didn't very many kinds of goods.

Pipeline was wild. Never have I been so baffled by the setup of a game. You just keep adding tiles and putting things to the side of the board and creating new areas until it takes over your whole booth. Despite all that, once you get playing, it's not super hard to get? You're just buying oil, refining it, and selling it. There's a lot of ways to do that, and some things like upgrades and machines to contend with, but I grokked it relatively quickly once we got going. I also ran away with the scoring because I went for silver oil while the other two players tried for orange. I managed to get a setup with 2 pipes that could refine two steps, then I upgraded it to 3 pipes refining 1, 2, and 3 steps connected to a machine. The last year I bought every cube of silver oil on the board and refined it all.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Pandemic Legacy: Season 2: Prologue (no spoilers really here)
    We played the prologue once a couple weeks ago, and lost. My team was confident, however, I convinced them to play the prologue again, and after the first two plague cubes hit the board, it seemed like we had chosen correctly. London is our weak spot. In the first game, and now this game, it has come up as an epidemic city, and then gotten the plague before we can react. This time though, we were more familiar with the rules and paths and managed to keep the cities from getting overrun. We swapped out the radio operator for the laborer due to needing to build supply centers and the limited city cards. Funneling the cards through the laborer from the instructor and using the administrator to allow other transfers to happen meant we got those built pretty nicely. It wasn't simple or fast, but we didn't feel like it was a close game. With a win in the books, we cracked open the legacy deck.
    Radio operator never used their special power at all that first prologue game, as it never seemed we had cubes that needed to be moved around. So for now it's a spare character. In the future though, I could see it replacing the farmer or instructor as the objectives change and we move further away from the havens/supply centers.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2: January
    Starting luck! The cards dealt gave the laborer 2 black cards, and there were enough around the table to get a supply center built in one round. We place it in Cairo since we need one there for exploring later (with the mindset from season 1 that we can potentially make it permanent and as a travel location). Then the game decides to turn that joy into panic as turn 1 we get hit with an epidemic. We draw the card from the bottom of the deck, and lament the lost cubes wherever they may get pulled from. London. Of course it's London! This is now the third game where that city has plagued us. There are now 2 London cards in the discard. We shuffle and infect. London! No time to worry about that now though, as the goal is to build supply centers and recon in Washington. Card draws from the first round are supplying the blues we need.
    We take a round to breathe, restock, and one of our players drops 6 supply cubes in London. Hopefully it doesn't get drawn from the bottom. Another round to put out some fires and begin passing around blue cards. Things aren't looking good in Africa or South America, and even Triploi ends up with a plague cube. The plan is set though. We've managed to work out how to drop 2 supply centers and recon NA in 5 turns. However, we're infecting 3 cities a turn now, and supply cubes are getting low. We can't travel and still hand off the cards we need to win. Then, our administrator spots a possibly better plan. We were too focused on getting the laborer the cards. Instead, the administrator will build the Washington supply center, by pulling New York from the laborer! This drops us down from 5 turn win, to 4. Three fewer cities will get infected, but we still need to survive 12 draws, and 8 draws that could contain an epidemic.
    The administrator flies to the laborer and snags New York, then travels to Washington to build the supply center. The instructor hands a black card to the farmer in Jacksonville, then travels to New York and gives that city card to the laborer, replacing the one the administrator took and bringing them up to the 3 blue we need to recon. The farmer travels to Instanbul and builds a supply center there. Epidemic. We use some of our cards to drop some cubes and take out some cities from the discard pile. It's a 50/50 chance though that we'll still draw the city we didn't pick. Draw 1: Instanbul, we picked correctly and remove a supply cube. Draw 2: Lagos, another plague cube. We're at 6 at this point. Draw 3: Jacksonville, remove it's last supply cube. We did it! Laborer moves from New York to Washington, and recons NA, ending the game!

We ended the game with 3 of our 4 players in plague cities, but because we ended the game when we did, before they started their next turn, no one got exposure! Also fortunate that population only declines by 1 regardless of number of plague cubes because we had 3 cities with 2 cubes each. So kept the damage to a minimum, and Washington recovered a population from the supply center we built.

We also discovered there wasn't a game end upgrade to keep your supply centers, so we picked architect and put it on the laborer, guessing we'll need to keep rebuilding them for now as an objective and that will come in handy.

Three weeks until we begin February.

S2 cities
    London was a trouble spot for us as well. It starts off isolated at a dead end, making it a nuisance to tend.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Just bought the Trogdor Board Game as they went up for purchase this morning for folks that didn't back the kickstarter version.

Went with the deluxe version simply because the empty space in the box where the plastic figures would be would probably bother me.

Thought about buying the H*R meeple set too but passed on it.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I am happy I did not go for the deluxe version, because I love the Void Tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_d8BhOkQk

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    That is hilarious. Also props for cutting and building that with those gloves on.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    GAMES

Dead Man's Cabal: Cool as hell but has limited replayability I think
    NEW PAC-MAN BOARDGAME: Surprisingly fun and strategical but Pac-Man does not say "wakka" but "Allah" so expect news on my upcoming lawsuit.
    Resident Evil: Yawn
    Evil High Priest: A goddamned blast
    Zombicide Invader: It's more Zombicide but with aliens.
    Glorantha: The God's War: real fun but damn this game be thick.
    Habitats: AMINALS ARE KYUUT

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    GAMES

Dead Man's Cabal: Cool as hell but has limited replayability I think
    NEW PAC-MAN BOARDGAME: Surprisingly fun and strategical but Pac-Man does not say "wakka" but "Allah" so expect news on my upcoming lawsuit.
    Resident Evil: Yawn
    Evil High Priest: A goddamned blast
    Zombicide Invader: It's more Zombicide but with aliens.
    Glorantha: The God's War: real fun but damn this game be thick.
    Habitats: AMINALS ARE KYUUT
    MKWYXgb.jpg
    ?

jakobagger on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I wasn't gonna buy more board games anytime soon.

Then my local store had Pyramid Arcade for $5 because it's missing a single pyramid (I need to go through and double check the condition, I'm pretty sure it's the store's former demo copy), and Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig for %40 off clearance.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Then [I bought more boardgames].

Welcome to boardgames.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I told my wife, "I don't buy a lot of games these days". She laughed at me. I insisted. She took me upstairs and pointed to a pile of games next to the gaming cabinet. I said, "Well, THOSE games were on clearance, I'll probably find them good homes. THOSE games were just given away by a guy, can't just let them go to a thrift store. THOSE games are ones that I already know who they're going to... " and I stopped talking.

I'm no longer curating a board game library. I'm running a board game shelter.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Welcome to boardgames.

HA HA NOT ME THO

*sweats profusely*

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    jergarmar wrote: »
    I told my wife, "I don't buy a lot of games these days". She laughed at me. I insisted. She took me upstairs and pointed to a pile of games next to the gaming cabinet. I said, "Well, THOSE games were on clearance, I'll probably find them good homes. THOSE games were just given away by a guy, can't just let them go to a thrift store. THOSE games are ones that I already know who they're going to... " and I stopped talking.

When we were just dating my then gf (now wife) showed up with a bunch of boardgames from the thrift shop because I like boardgames. This was 10 years ago.
    I still have those games: monopoly, game of life, party&co and stratego.

It's the thought that counts.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Welcome to boardgames.

HA HA NOT ME THO

*sweats profusely*

Ahh then we won't be needing this complementary boardgames members boardgame then will we

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »

When we were just dating my then gf (now wife) showed up with a bunch of boardgames from the thrift shop because I like boardgames. This was 10 years ago.
    I still have those games: monopoly, game of life, party&co and stratego.

It's the thought that counts.

Hey now, Stratego is at least a real game. A couple years ago, my mom sent me a "Shut the Box" for my birthday. After opening it one time to verify that it was indeed that (and not something else just using the package), I dumped it into a donation bin.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    My father has a Shut the Box that he always tries to get me to play every time I visit . :(

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, someone got me all the "classic" games like shut the box, cribbage, and something else because they came in nice wood packaging.

I have reached the point where I need a fourth game shelf, but I'm afraid to admit it to my wife, so things now are just precariously stacked on the top. I'm sure it's not noticeable.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hey cribbage is great don't go knocking cribbage

• Options
    I've never learned cribbage, it was always the game played by old people in TV shows, and looking at the scoring potentials in SUSD's how to play, I don't think I could ever learn it well enough to play.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So I ended up helping out a lady looking for a board game in a upscale toy store after seeing the salespeople fumble around with suggestions of Mastermind and Monopoly, then hearing she was looking for something strategic because they didn't have her original choice of Captain Sonar. I suggested Small World and she seemed intrigued by the variety of powers in the game (strategic for eight players is a hard ask). Hopefully she'll enjoy her purchase!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Does Small World support 8? I thought it capped at 5.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    The trick to managing your board game collection: Gather so many that you can use the boxes to build an annex to your house. Then use that annex the store the rest of your board game collection.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Does Small World support 8? I thought it capped at 5.

It goes to six with the expansion. So yes, not an eight player game.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Yup, not an eight player game. But there are no eight player games that aren't party games in the store, and I reiterated it to her that it plays up to five, so hopefully she understood.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The trick to managing your board game collection: Gather so many that you can use the boxes to build an annex to your house. Then use that annex the store the rest of your board game collection.

Ah yes, the Magic Pink Method.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Now, the best solution I probably could have done was to tell the lady to go check out the other dedicated board game store with people who know their stuff (a short walk away), but the two salespeople were hovering around like buzzards and I have no way of telling her that without getting the Evil Eye.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    8p strategy is kind of an impossible ask. In the year I spent as a game store "expert" the closest I have to a satisfying answer is that 7 wonders can play up to 7. The real answer is have two 3-5p games but a lot of people aren't satisfied by that. Sometimes you can convince them to give up on strategy and commit to yelling at their friends while betting on a wacky camel race

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    I've never learned cribbage, it was always the game played by old people in TV shows, and looking at the scoring potentials in SUSD's how to play, I don't think I could ever learn it well enough to play.

Cribbage is a good combination of "just playing" and "oh, I can extract some advantages here". Just look at the rules while watching an example round or two and you'll get it. It's also pretty chill. If you find another person who is willing to while away some time on a simple card game on a regular basis, maybe even while listening to something or knitting or whatever, it's great.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    8p strategy is kind of an impossible ask. In the year I spent as a game store "expert" the closest I have to a satisfying answer is that 7 wonders can play up to 7. The real answer is have two 3-5p games but a lot of people aren't satisfied by that. Sometimes you can convince them to give up on strategy and commit to yelling at their friends while betting on a wacky camel race

With cities expansion it can do 8p, but it's not ideal.
    At 8 your better of playing 2x4 strategy within a acceptable time frame.
    With 8 we play secret Hitler ,code names or sidereal confluence.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019

No? There are games that fit the bill
    Sidereal confluence, Mega Civ, TI3,...

It's not masses but it's not impossible

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah, someone got me all the "classic" games like shut the box, cribbage, and something else because they came in nice wood packaging.

I have reached the point where I need a fourth game shelf, but I'm afraid to admit it to my wife, so things now are just precariously stacked on the top. I'm sure it's not noticeable.

Oh god, in addition to Shut the Box, last month I attended an extended family reunion at a lake cabin.

Every moment of indoor game time they all wanted to play Cribbage . :(

I'm...not an expert at it, buuuuuuuut I'm going to go ahead and put forth that it's an extremely low skill ceiling and once you hit that, it's 95% luck and the whole thing just plays out predetermined. It's as skill based as Solitaire is skill based. In fact, it feels like you're playing multiplayer Solitaire. I hated every minute of it and when they finally switched to Milles Borne, it felt like Race for the Galaxy by comparison.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Huh, so after years and years of disappearing, the Unity Games convention in Danvers, MA is back.

Rebranded as "Reunity Games"

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/reunity-games-tickets-64182884736

I just might be going.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    At 8 players you just have to have something with simultaneous turns or real-time.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    At 8 players you just have to have something with simultaneous turns or real-time.
    Or some sort of team mechanic, but that's just simultaneous turns split among the different teams.

8i1dt37buh2m.png