As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Cardboard Action at a Distance

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Dark Moon? I was looking at homebrew rules to make Battlestar Galactica shorter and saw it suggested as an alternative.

The consensus was that it's not great but I can't remember specifics. BSG is weirdly unequalled despite the age

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Speaking of Napoleonic, 19th century tactics, here's Matt Easton discussing the development of the Enfield rifled musket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZkHlbfQWDc

How about someone in period recreation of the rifle, kit and use?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYxknwp7zAs
    Not really Napoleonic as he does mostly Victorian era British army but he does have a Baker rifle

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Had my first play of Dungeon Petz yesterday, a Vlaada Chvatil game that I'd somehow never played. It's ... extremely punishing. I'm not sure I like it. I'm intrigued enough to want to play it again, but the card puzzle of satisfying your pets' needs seems quite dependent on what cards you draw, and there's not an awful lot you can do to mitigate it.

Yeah, it's a brilliant but tough game. You can definitely mitigate a lot of the randomness of your card draw, but it's usually at the expense of some other critical thing. Many games of this type start out hard, and then by the end you're just playing for maximum points. Think of Agricola, where usually the stress of starving is only in the first couple of rounds. But in Dungeon Petz, that stress is constant. It's also less a game of "Rats! You took the stuff I needed!", and much more of, "Oh... oh no. I've completely screwed myself."

I really like it, but it's not a game you pull out casually.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Dark Moon? I was looking at homebrew rules to make Battlestar Galactica shorter and saw it suggested as an alternative.

The consensus was that it's not great but I can't remember specifics. BSG is weirdly unequalled despite the age

I don't think that's a consensus? IIRC most of the reviews I saw of it were positive, but admittedly I have never played it and my memory of reviews I read in the past could be faulty.

I remember having read that it started life as someone's fan attempt to fix the BSG game, and when it was ready to publish they filed off the IP.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

I don't think that's a consensus? IIRC most of the reviews I saw of it were positive, but admittedly I have never played it and my memory of reviews I read in the past could be faulty.

I remember having read that it started life as someone's fan attempt to fix the BSG game, and when it was ready to publish they filed off the IP.

Yep, it was BSG lite or somesuch. I think it was a project that started from Something Awful.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

It's a very successful adaptation if you wanted to play a Battlestar-like game quickly.

It's not really very successful at replicating the whole several-hour experience of deduction and trust, but you do end up resolving who the traitor is in a lot less time.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Abomination showed up yesterday. Heavens but this is a gruesome game. It really puts you in the shoes of your poor, unwilling scientist.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Jesus, one of the action spaces is your scientist going down to the docks to pay a dock worker to kill a dog and carve it up for parts.

what the hell game thas' nasty

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular

Yep, it was BSG lite or somesuch. I think it was a project that started from Something Awful.

BSG Express

Which was adapted into a commercial release called Dark Moon with a generic "The Thing" type sci-fi setting.

It is currently my favorite social deduction game. The dice turn it into a Liar's Dice type scenario which is much better than the overly-solvable card system of BSG.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Tried the 2 new Arkham Horror scenarios in Dead of Night

They seem a lot harder than the base game. We lost both (even with Calvin & Tommy).

A lot more ways to work toward a victory objective open up as the doom/clues progress. The gang war scenario seems to have FOUR different victory conditions you can pursue.

The downside is that managing and keeping track of all the codex cards gets daunting. "Okay we need to get clues and research them to put them on the scenario sheet which can be cashed in at the blue spot but not the red spot, and if I kill this type of monster we get a horror token on the sheet which triggers something separately from the doom but we can also go to the red spot for a different check and both blue and red spots have another check which changes based on the current relationship status of the factions." Whew!

Location encounter decks have doubled in size. That's nice. The unique asset deck has grown. That is...worrying, considering how out of hand those got in Eldritch.

One huge disappointment is the lack of new spells. There are only FOUR new spell cards. The spell deck was anemic in the base game and badly needed to be expanded, as well as the spells themselves needing to be more useful (only about one and a half investigators were viable spell casters, and still needed a hefty equipment setup to match the utility of one good weapon or support item). This was something I was hoping would be addressed in the expansion and it wasn't.

(if you like being totally surprised by the scenarios' story elements, DO NOT read the expansion instructions. They give away a very big and very surprising mechanic that will be coming up)

MrBody on
  • Options
    Tried Exit: The Haunted Rollercoaster over the weekend.

The best of the "easy" 2 circle difficulty games so far (I think Sunken Treasure and Mysterious Museum were the others). This one doesn't even try to pretend it's not aimed mostly at young kids. Our neighbors played it with us and their 9 year old loved. She ended up wanting to take a bunch of the strange objects home as souvenirs (they almost seemed to be designed as Happy Meal toys for kids).

It's similar to the other 2 circles in that it's linear and you only have to worry about 1-2 pages of the book at a time rather than the entire thing being open to every puzzle. Challenge was a bit higher than Sunken and Museum, but still not frustrating.

Well...there was one frustrating puzzle. Not for the difficulty, but because it forced you to read lots of texts off tiny components. So small that only one person could read them at a time. That put a damper on the entire group trying to play.

They are REALLY ramping up their effort to force you to destroy components. A couple we had to and couldn't just scan/copy like we normally do.

So, the best of the easy entries, better than the middling offerings, but not as good as the great ones (Cabin, Orient Express).

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I finally found a group of eurogame players in San Antonio that doesn't think math is the devil... I'm dusting off Brass Birmingham to meet them on Friday!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Crush them

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sine Tempore is FINALLY on the god damn way

jesus talk about extreme fucking delay. i barely remember my own name anymore and they expect me to organize 11 boxes of minis and rules now? f to that

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Realized this morning I never posted about March!

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2: March - Win!
    March started off very well. Only a single city was double pulled at the start, and it was a 3 population city one step from a haven so we could handle that first turn. March meant 3 objectives needed to be done, and having won Jan and Feb, we had no rationed events. First turn complete, and we pull an epidemic. Of course we do. It actually turned out just fine though, spreading evenly and not causing alarm.
    March actually ended up being quite an uneventful month, considering how the game could go. We went around a few rounds without fear of a second epidemic. Restocked supplies on all the concerned cities, made good progress towards card collection for supply centers, recon South America, and planned to either connect more cities to the grid or search two cards if the opportunity presented itself. It was about mid-game, when things were starting to come together, and that's when things started to fall apart.
    NY got two plague cubes, while the two players over on the east US coast were planning to travel to Chicago to connect cities and trade the card for a supply center. We would have to choose one or the other. The Mediterranean cities all got drawn, leaving all three of them without any supplies at all while the closest player was in London. And we needed at least two more rounds of pure action economy to pass cards and travel to necessary cities to complete our objectives.
    That was when we made the choice to burn one of our produce supplies action card boxes. Fortunately, we were holding one with 3 boxes, so the card wouldn't be destroyed, but we used it to stock up all across the map. We spent a round moving and dropping cubes in every city that may need it, accepting that if we didn't, we'd certainly succumb to plague cubes before we could finish our objectives.
    With that done, we went hard on objectives. We had only pulled 1 search card to this point, and we needed to use the card to build a supply center, so we decided to connect cities rather than do two searches. We got 2 supply centers built, one city connected, and needed one more round. This is when planning went down. I was in London, built a supply center there. I needed to get to black, to build our third. Another player needed to get to SA to recon (we had previously put a permanent supply center there), which meant she wouldn't be able to restock the black cities, leaving them vulnerable to plague cubes. However, we were sitting at 2 or 3 plagues right now, so we weren't too concerned other than the "permanent" population drop. That's when we realize, I'm holding the London card, but I need cubes to use my special power since I only had 3 black cards. No problem, haven to the left of me has cubes. I move over, grab cubes, move back to London, drop the card to fly anywhere, hit Cairo and build a supply center. Now we can choose London or Cairo if we want to make another permanent one for the next game's recon mission. Another plague cube, in Cairo. Next player moves to South America and recons the area. Next player connects a city to the grid. Bam, we win.

All in all, plague cubes did minimal damage due to also appearing where we had supply centers previously (NYC, putting it back to 3), or where we put them this game (Cairo), keeping the same.
    We used another of our 3 supply center permanent upgrades in London. Probably should have gone Cairo since it's two steps to a haven, but likely we'll need to recon that next since black is still impossible (4 unique, but only have 3 cities right now), and yellow is unlikely (5 unique, but we do have 5 cities).

We're sitting pretty happy and pretty with our 3 wins in a row, but I know we're using up those permanent upgrades maybe a bit too soon. I'm sure they're there to tempt you to do just that, but it has been helpful. Hopefully it doesn't bite us too badly later. We were also tempted to upgrade my character again, but I was hesitant to put too many upgrades immediately on a single character. None of us have exposure yet, but it can go south pretty quickly in a single game. We instead upgraded my wife's character (administrator - move pawns to other pawns) with her first upgrade.

Got a lot of new cities with searches, so that will likely be the next objective we attempt, and curious about this lost research center objective. I suspect it is in Atlanta, but we didn't pull that card.

Then we opened up the legacy deck for post March. MORE EPIDEMICS?! We are going to be shuffling in 7 next game. This is going to be interesting.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah... this is where S2 gets evil.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Heaven save me from all these new mini based co-op Kickstarters. I've got more Kickstarter minis than I'll ever need already.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I backed Calico because it's cute and my wife and I like puzzly tile laying games like that. That's my only outstanding Kickstarter, and I might cancel and just wait for retail but we'll see. I realized that Kickstarter boardgames are stupid I think.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    I finally found a group of eurogame players in San Antonio that doesn't think math is the devil... I'm dusting off Brass Birmingham to meet them on Friday!

Hey, this reminds me, I recently posted about Steam, and how much I liked it, but realized that I haven't played many other Martin Wallace games, whether older or newer. So I wanted to ask about the well-reviewed newer games of London, Railways of Nippon, and Brass: Birmingham. Do any of them feel like spiritual successors to Steam? For example, fairly easy for new players to learn (at least with the non-bidding rules), but also having a claustrophobic resource-delivery and network-building struggle between the players?

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    jergarmar wrote: »

Hey, this reminds me, I recently posted about Steam, and how much I liked it, but realized that I haven't played many other Martin Wallace games, whether older or newer. So I wanted to ask about the well-reviewed newer games of London, Railways of Nippon, and Brass: Birmingham. Do any of them feel like spiritual successors to Steam? For example, fairly easy for new players to learn (at least with the non-bidding rules), but also having a claustrophobic resource-delivery and network-building struggle between the players?

I've not played Steam but that description is Brass

• Options
    I'm looking reeeeeeeal hard at Oathsworn.

Someone talk me out of it maybe.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Heaven save me from all these new mini based co-op Kickstarters. I've got more Kickstarter minis than I'll ever need already.

LISTEN TO YOU

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

You have come to the wrong place to look for advice like that...
    I saw this yesterday and am also in the "quick someone talk me out of this" category.

• Options
    Pink, I just can't take you specifically seriously with a "don't buy the game" recommendation!

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Pink, I just can't take you specifically seriously with a "don't buy the game" recommendation!

This is a new, changed Magic Pink post-hiatus. We should respect his new anti-game position.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited October 2019

I've not played Steam but that description is Brass

It's hard to gather from the reviews I've read and images I've seen -- is there a lot of text and/or symbology? Like on cards/tiles? How much looking up of rules?

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I backed Calico because it's cute and my wife and I like puzzly tile laying games like that. That's my only outstanding Kickstarter, and I might cancel and just wait for retail but we'll see. I realized that Kickstarter boardgames are stupid I think.
    Mmm, there's definitely good and bad campaigns, and what those are probably differ from person to person. I also backed Calico but am considering backing out because I just ordered Terramara after realizing its first printing wasn't getting a general release. I do have several outstanding kickstarters though. However I've also taken to trying to get my local store to pick up retail pledges when possible, so ... I think that's an interesting alternative when it's offered.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Mmm, there's definitely good and bad campaigns, and what those are probably differ from person to person. I also backed Calico but am considering backing out because I just ordered Terramara after realizing its first printing wasn't getting a general release. I do have several outstanding kickstarters though. However I've also taken to trying to get my local store to pick up retail pledges when possible, so ... I think that's an interesting alternative when it's offered.

I'm not against Kickstarter per se, I have just come to realize that personally I have a much better track record buying games that are actually available and known qualities. There are approximately a zillion more of these games than I can afford or have time to play, so why would I gamble that a theoretical game might be good in a year or three when I could get an actually truly excellent game right now.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yeah, if a game is worth your time it will be available again. I tend to save my kickstarter money for known quantities with a good deal and proper crazy oddities that will likely not ever hit retail. My two current outstanding campaigns being Champion of the Wild and 1,001 Odysseys which are good examples of each.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ah, yes, sanity. I've never been totally thrilled with a Kickstarter board game, meanwhile any games that were great the I own and were on KS, I just bought at retail.

• Options

I can confirm that the minis come to life at night and seek out scrotal sacks.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Speaking of Kickstarter, there's a campaign for a game called Virtue Signalling which is exactly as frustrating as it sounds, and I was really disappointed with Kickstarter for not doing something about it after a bunch of reports had been sent (I know this having sent one myself, and seeing a bunch of comments on the page about groups organizing reports). So unfortunately a bunch of "moderate-center" types will get their product, but on the plus side, BGG is refusing any edits to the game's page so it's stuck with just a cover photo and description, and they're actively moderating the game's forums too.
    It's actually making me want to cancel my Calico pledge more than anything else, because I'm just so frustrated they won't take action on something that's a product of hate (something that's literally in their terms of service). :|

• Options
    Speaking of Kickstarter, there's a campaign for a game called Virtue Signalling which is exactly as frustrating as it sounds, and I was really disappointed with Kickstarter for not doing something about it after a bunch of reports had been sent (I know this having sent one myself, and seeing a bunch of comments on the page about groups organizing reports). So unfortunately a bunch of "moderate-center" types will get their product, but on the plus side, BGG is refusing any edits to the game's page so it's stuck with just a cover photo and description, and they're actively moderating the game's forums too.
    It's actually making me want to cancel my Calico pledge more than anything else, because I'm just so frustrated they won't take action on something that's a product of hate (something that's literally in their terms of service). :|

Yeah, I reported it too. It's pretty fucking pathetic but shit like that pops up on KS all the time. They just want their money and they leave the enforcement of their policies to whether the public ignores it or not.

• Options
    The Prêt-à-porter Kickstarter isn't being managed well at all.

The latest arse up was an update declaring all UK copies had shipped. But nobody in the UK has had any shipping confirmation and nobody has yet seen anything arrive. The comments are just people asking where their copy is and if something has gone wrong. All to the classic radio silence.

Portal Games Kickstarters are probably best avoided.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    The Nemesis kickstarter should have been a turn off for me. I backed that thing like a year and a half ago and I'm still waiting.

Didn't stop me from backing On Mars though!

• Options
    `

Well, I get why BGG would have the forum on lockdown, and I'm no fan of the tone, but what makes it a violation of the Kickstarter TOS? At first glance I thought it would just fall into that category of offensive party games like CAH.

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    `

Well, I get why BGG would have the forum on lockdown, and I'm no fan of the tone, but what makes it a violation of the Kickstarter TOS? At first glance I thought it would just fall into that category of offensive party games like CAH.

They're making frequent rape and consent jokes; absolutely against the TOS.

• Options
    The Nemesis kickstarter should have been a turn off for me. I backed that thing like a year and a half ago and I'm still waiting.

Nemesis isn't that late. They thought April 2019 so only six months ain't bad at all.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Nemesis isn't that late. They thought April 2019 so only six months ain't bad at all.

The kickstarter still says estimated delivery to be September 2018. I actually don't really mind the wait since I'm not itching to get my hands on it. But the problem with kickstarter in these situations is that during the delay, I've kind of lost interest in this style of board game.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The kickstarter still says estimated delivery to be September 2018. I actually don't really mind the wait since I'm not itching to get my hands on it. But the problem with kickstarter in these situations is that during the delay, I've kind of lost interest in this style of board game.

That's only if you paid for 2 shipments.