As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Void Bastards, Outer Wilds, Draugen & Atmocity out today!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    It seems crazy to not hire Obsidian for that, but sure, I'm listening

As long as it wasn't the EE guys, I'm at least going to give it a look

I don't think the Beamdog folks have written any original content that didn't make me cringe

SpoitBroloMaddoc
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The first Divinity OS is a game which I completed but also kind of hate?

The writing is garbage, and while the combat is cool at first, it quickly lost its shine for me. If you want to be anywhere near successful as a non-spellcaster you need to do a ton of crafting, which sucks, and the high level combat turns into a lot of save or die sort of bullshit, which for me meant a lot of reloading.

The personality stuff and the deuteragonist ideas were neat, but I felt they weren't fully developed, and conflicting protagonists got really weird if you were playing by yourself. And from what I heard those were dropped from the second game anyways.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The conflicting protagonists is what made me stop playing the game. I wanted two characters with distinct personalities so I made them conflict a bit. Then it turns out that the personality perks give stat bonuses... so if my assassin isn't a shithead she'll get bonuses to things that I don't want. Well that's fine, she can be the shithead that's cool.

Where it broke down is that i'd then want a specific quest outcome. So the non-shithead character suggests we help this person out (I as a player want to), the shithead says no let's kill them (for the stat bonus) then we rock paper scissors to see who wins. And if the shithead wins the party murders the person and I have to reload the save and try again.

For every conversation in the game.

It was a hell of my own making but every step of the way the gameplay led me down that path.

StraightziMaddocEtiowsaCouscousKristmas Kthulhu
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    I think the combo of completely new systems and new settings turned me off to the recent BG-likes. I realized I didn't like BG-style games, I just like BG. maybe this iteration will hold my interest more

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Shorty
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    yeah honestly even though the BG series is one of my all-time favorites and I can still revisit it, every modern game that tries to tap into that success winds up turning me off

I think Tyranny and Dragon Age were the only ones I was able to complete, and the latter was a real trial

Ubik
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It doesn't help that none of the villians in the successive games have really been as great as Sarevok or Jon Irenicus

but how do you beat David Warner?

ShortyWhiteZinfandel
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The conflicting protagonists is what made me stop playing the game. I wanted two characters with distinct personalities so I made them conflict a bit. Then it turns out that the personality perks give stat bonuses... so if my assassin isn't a shithead she'll get bonuses to things that I don't want. Well that's fine, she can be the shithead that's cool.

Where it broke down is that i'd then want a specific quest outcome. So the non-shithead character suggests we help this person out (I as a player want to), the shithead says no let's kill them (for the stat bonus) then we rock paper scissors to see who wins. And if the shithead wins the party murders the person and I have to reload the save and try again.

For every conversation in the game.

It was a hell of my own making but every step of the way the gameplay led me down that path.

Yeah on one hand I liked the fact that I could actually role play that

But I do wish you could choose which character wins a fight when you're playing single player

I had one character who was usually "correct" about decisions, and I gave him a bunch of social skills so he could more reliably win those fights, but it was still a pain

Original Sin 2 I handled a lot better. Just gave my character the perk that gave ridiculous stat bonuses when alone or with one other person, took one of the other characters and gave them that same perk, then we steamrolled the game up until I got exhausted 35 hours later and gave up playing more.

Kind of a shame though, the big draw of that game was seeing the weird characters they made but if you don't put them in your party they just straight-up die at the end of the tutorial or chapter 1 or whatever. I was looking forward to them being antagonists along the way, or at least peers to my own adventuring group that we run into every so often.

Olivaw
    Moriveth wrote: »
    It doesn't help that none of the villians in the successive games have really been as great as Sarevok or Jon Irenicus

but how do you beat David Warner?

I think the villain from the first PoE comes damn close, honestly

I can't come up with iconic lines in the way that I can with Irenicus, but he's a real good evil mastermind

BrolocaptainkJacobkosh
    pillars of eternity (and Tyranny) also has a really cool setting and great music, both of which are evident in the game's first scene

a lot of the BG-style rpgs make very poor first impressions

Jacobkosh
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    PoE and Tyranny's problems for me were 100% mechanical

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    The work that PoE does to make a unified D&D-style fantasy setting is really quite impressive

So many of even like, the boring enemies you encounter have lore that plays directly into the themes of the game

ShortyCouscous
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I couldn't grasp the mechanics at all. I always felt like I was missing some crucial piece to make an effective character.

Also I gave a kid a knife an then he went and hurt himself, the dumbass

Ubik
    I rolled a cypher and just stunned all the biggest threats

PoE's mechanics can get really weird and granular with certain highly specific things, but I found the basics of them more intuitive than playing AD&D

I guess that's not a very high standard though

Brolo
    Shorty wrote: »
    I rolled a cypher and just stunned all the biggest threats

Turn based mode in Deadfire is just an exercise in making all five of your party members able to effectively stunlock enemies

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The problem with PoE1 was that it was more BG1 than any of the other games. You spent a lot of time just auto attacking because they were inconsistent with per battle/per rest skills, and there was like 4x as many trash mobs to fight as there should be

steam_sig.png
    It probably helped that I had read D&D rules before and had some sort of basic understanding of how most things worked in it.

Ubik
    The problem with PoE1 was that it was more BG1 than any of the other games. You spent a lot of time just auto attacking because they were inconsistent with per battle/per rest skills, and there was like 4x as many trash mobs to fight as there should be

Yeah I only ever took per battle skills in PoE1 for this exact reason

Brolo
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    yeah the D&D base helped a bunch, trying to learn new systems in the time allowed by my modern schedule did not work out for me

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

Baldur's Gate 2 is what introduced me to D&D

It was like one of those foreign language immersion programs

ShortyBroloCouscousCaedwyr
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Yeah I only ever took per battle skills in PoE1 for this exact reason

The 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 patches for POE1 changed all this up quite a bit too. It also made finding up-to-date mechanics/build guides pretty tricky.

The manuals for BG1 and BG2 were definitely the entire basis for my D&D knowledge for a while. They actually weren't half bad for that, actually.

captaink
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Let me romance Jan Jansen, BGIII.

I love the BG 2 manual, it's just such a sign of the times

there's absolutely no way you'd ever be able to convince any publisher to print a two hundred page spiral-bound book for your game today

captainkAistanCouscousUbikgodmodeSorceTofystedeth
    I wish I knew what happened to mine, honestly

It would just be a cool thing to have

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    BG2 is particularly weird because it's based off an early alpha of D&D 3.0.

So it's like D&D 2.75.
    If you know 2.0, few things make sense. If you know 3.0, it mostly makes sense but random things are different or not there, which can be quite confusing. Like it still having Thac0.
    On top of the choices to make it a videogame instead of a pnp campaign.

BG2 is an alltime favorite gaming experience, but I'm not sure it can be recreated in modern times. It was very savescummy, and had very different experiences based on how you build a character. There are some absolute godmode and total trash builds that both seem the same from the menu.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    I wish I knew what happened to mine, honestly

It would just be a cool thing to have

I have a bunch of that era of manuals in a plastic box. It's too big and they're all different sizes so they don't fit in anything neatly. I've been getting rid of some, but I can't bring myself to throw away most of the IE ones, or TIE Fighter, the good Civ 4 one, etc. I would like to give them to a video game history museum if such a thing existed (and didn't already have a bunch).

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I still have my BG2 box and manual. It's not spiral bound, though. Must be a later edition.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »

So it's like D&D 2.75.
    If you know 2.0, few things make sense. If you know 3.0, it mostly makes sense but random things are different or not there, which can be quite confusing. Like it still having Thac0.

BG2 is an alltime favorite gaming experience, but I'm not sure it can be recreated in modern times. It was very savescummy, and had very different experiences based on how you build a character. There are some absolute godmode and total trash builds that both seem the same from the menu.

I thought it was NWN1 that was like a halfway 3.0?

steam_sig.png
    I think what cracks me up the most about the BG2 manual is that most of it really is unnecessary

the vast majority of it is actually just spell descriptions, all of which are documented in the game!

StraightziMorivethUbik
    Shorty wrote: »
    I think what cracks me up the most about the BG2 manual is that most of it really is unnecessary

the vast majority of it is actually just spell descriptions, all of which are documented in the game!

Hell the BG1 manual had a bunch of 'guide to the area' stuff that wasn't needed either.

Man, I miss chunky game manuals. Those were fun.

BahamutZEROShortyBobbleOlivaw
    My favorite is probably Arcanum's.

A Dabble Of TheloniusJedoc
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

EGS exclusive which kinda sucks but it's a good game and I'm shocked they got the rights back.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I felt like I understood the mechanics well enough, I just thought a lot of the stuff was bad

Attack recovery on armor felt poorly balanced in favor of everyone running around naked, engagement rules end up not mattering to enemies,
    SanderJK wrote: »

So it's like D&D 2.75.

I thought it was NWN1 that was like a halfway 3.0?

NWN was 100% 3.0, 3e had come out two years before NWN so they had plenty of time to work with it

A few months later, Icewind Dale 2 would also be a 3e game

I remember hearing that you could import your BG2 character into NWN and as development dragged on it went from character, to stats, to just name (?!?), and then you couldn't.

Also they never made good on Imoen going to Neverwinter! I was hoping I'd at least run into her!

Yeah I know that the later IE games had the Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Monk from 3.0, but mashed backwards into the 2nd edition that the game was running on otherwise. Not sure what else they took from 3.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Yeah I know that the later IE games had the Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Monk from 3.0, but mashed backwards into the 2nd edition that the game was running on otherwise. Not sure what else they took from 3.

High-Level Abilities were basically proto-feats.

Shorty
    captaink wrote: »

Those classes actually existed prior to 3e

Monk in BG2 is actually, IIRC, essentially a rework of the 1e Monk

Not sure about where Barbarian and Sorcerer specifically came from, but there were various kits and classes printed for 2e for those

Caedwyr
    I always liked Wild Mage and wish that that kind of weirdo class was more common.

This discussion has been closed.