As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Void Bastards, Outer Wilds, Draugen & Atmocity out today!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Aistan wrote: »
    How are they so bad at this. This whole online store via a dedicated launcher for video games thing isn't a new concept.

Just take your fortnite money bin, point at one of the existing storefronts, and tell your devs to do that.
    Shorty wrote: »
    you know how when a company launches a CCG for the first time, they do a bunch of dumb shit, especially in organized play, that Wizards of the Coast already did, and then fixed, two decades ago?

*gestures vaguely at Epic*

turns out it's pretty easy to not learn from those who went before you

Also depending on their timeframe of going "We need a store!" and launching there might not have been time to do it right. There is certainly an acceptable level of bugginess that people will be ok with that lets them launch early and strike while the iron is hot. That Fortnight money might not be there next year, or who knows what else might come up. Steam has been riding a deep swell of ill will lately so I can totally see Epic rushing out a competitor to try to leverage that, while having one of the hottest games in the world to back it up.

It's a fine line to walk though, and they are definitely stumbling. Personally the bare bones nature of the epic store doesn't bother me that much, but I've never deep dived into Steam features either.

I remember when Steam launched. People were PISSED. It was going to be the end of gaming. We'll see how this pans out. Which company will end up being shittier?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Now come on, guys, you can't criticise Epic's store for not being as good as Steam, they've only been running a few months, whereas Valve have been developing and changing Steam for years

Also, we need the Epic store because Valve are lazy and don't earn their cut and have been sitting around doing nothing for years

Bong wibble kerplunk

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    The base price changes to Hades have been reverted.

boy I wonder what happens now for all the people who purchased it during that window

As one of those people, I requested a refund of the difference. We'll see what happens.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    On a related note, Hades is hella fun. How does it play with a controller? KBM is making my hand hurt.
    On another related note, can I add Epic games to my steam launcher so I can play them via my steam link so I don't have to hook my controller back up to my PC via a barely accessible USB port?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet devs are looking at this clusterfuck and thinking twice

Which is doubly bad for epic cause I feel like that one indie dev just did a great bit of free PR for them like less than 48 hours ago

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Now come on, guys, you can't criticise Epic's store for not being as good as Steam, they've only been running a few months, whereas Valve have been developing and changing Steam for years

Also, we need the Epic store because Valve are lazy and don't earn their cut and have been sitting around doing nothing for years

Bong wibble kerplunk

it's possible to think they're doing a bad job and also think there's nothing wrong with someone making a service to compete with steam you know

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Playing some more Surviving Mars with the new DLC and it is just a fun relaxing game. theres been some good quality of life changes over the last year and I can't wait to dig into the end game with the new terraforming tech.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    All I can think of when I think about Steep is that E3 demonstration where a guy dies horribly by impacting a mountain while gliding on a wingsuit and nobody really acknowledging it.

"Ze mountain takes its toll."

It did, actually. Not to bring the room down, but pro skier Matilda Rapaport died during promo shoots for Steep

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/pro-skier-dies-during-film-shoot-for-ubisofts-new-/1100-6441963/

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Kadith wrote: »
    why do rich people get to be so stupid with money

if you work with the developer and both lower prices you both increase sale of units and make margins on the economy of sale

if you take a $10 loss on every game you

take a lot of loss.

they are desparate to grow their user numbers, and are sitting on a giant warchest of fortnite money

so they're just eating a $10 loss on every single sale, just to get people in the door

they just seemingly did an incredibly poor job of communicating/coordinating that

Yeah this is basically them attempting to purchase market share. If it was executed with more competence I would call it a smart move. Even with the fuckups it probably still is a smart move.

If they can't capture market share from Steam then their store idea is fucked. Steam is so entrenched that Epic needs to make bold moves to compete. Personally I hope they succeed in becoming a viable competitor to Steam, but I also hope that they stop making stupid mistakes and have a store that doesn't suck balls to use.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Bong wibble kerplunk

it's possible to think they're doing a bad job and also think there's nothing wrong with someone making a service to compete with steam you know

Conversely, it's possible for them to fail on their own merits. Just being a competitor to steam doesn't excuse their mistakes. You don't see people making these same kind of bizare excuses for uplay or origin

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bizarre excuses like what?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

There were some pretty nuclear hot takes during the whole "datamining your PC files without asking" thing

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I thought that in the end, the datamining thing was shown to be bullshit?
    It does the same thing steam does, except possibly more inefficient, which means it's making more calls?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I thought that in the end, the datamining thing was shown to be bullshit?
    It does the same thing steam does, except possibly more inefficient, which means it's making more calls?

IIRC, that was some fearmongering about them passing the data on to tencent? Which wasn't part of the initial accusation, anyway. AFIAK, other people than the OP were able to see it scanning the local files

EDIT: Ok, double checking, they scanned the local files regardless, but supposedly only actually send it to their servers when the user requests a friend sync. Supposedly it's only a hashed list of your friends, but the file is encrypted (the steam version of the file is just in plaintext), so who knows what it actually contains

Regardless, steam does have a public API for the kind of info in that file, which supposedly is what other companies who do "find you steam friends" use. And it might actually respect the privacy settings that people set on steam?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    what a shitshow

yeah, I mean I've been pretty bullish about the epic store in this thread, but like...yikes dudes. This is a complete layup to get more people into the store, and now the story is "what a bunch of dumb idiots"

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    The base price changes to Hades have been reverted.

boy I wonder what happens now for all the people who purchased it during that window

As one of those people, I requested a refund of the difference. We'll see what happens.

Appsrently they can't do partial refunds, but they did give me a full refund so I can rebuy it at the lower price.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The knowledge that fresh meat, vegetables and fruit prevent scurvy fell in and out of maritime history until the 18th century, it is extremely easy to not learn from the past

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Last Juneish, I resolved to clear my Steam backlog. With the completion of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun last night, it is done.

Age of Wonders III
    Ancient Space
    The Banner Saga
    Bioshock Infinite*
    Borderlands 2*
    Breath of Death VII
    Celeste
    Cthulhu Saves the World
    Dark Souls
    Fallout 4*
    From Dust
    Frozen Synapse
    Grow Home
    Gunpoint
    High Hell
    Jotun
    Just Cause 3
    Kentucky Route Zero
    King's Bounty: The Legend
    King's Bounty: Armored Princess
    King's Bounty: Crossworlds
    Life is Strange
    Marlow Briggs
    Mirror's Edge
    Monkey Island 2
    Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun
    Sleeping Dogs
    Supreme Commander 2
    Undertale
    The Witcher 2

* Last 5-10% only

Games incomplete, but permanently retired:
    Bully: Unstable on Windows 10 even with fan patches. Got to the second chapter before crashed reached every 15 seconds
    X series: Did the tutorial for X3 back in 2010 and never went back

Now to play Assassins Creed: Odyssey.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So basically, Epic is still the kid from the movie Parenthood, who puts a bucket on his head and repeatedly runs into a wall.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Mugsley wrote: »
    So basically, Epic is still the kid from the movie Parenthood, who puts a bucket on his head and repeatedly runs into a wall.

FG8h2Bg.jpg
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06232005

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Well my days of not trusting the Epic store to handle things appropriately and with forethought are certainly coming to a middle.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I've been all about epic because I wanted a legit steam competitor to try to get steam to clean up their act for a long time. I was willing to let slide the featureless store because they've got a road map showing how they'll be adding to it in the future, and the conspiracy theory stuff has always been bullshit.

The way they've utterly botched this sale though has me pretty upset and certain that they don't know what the hell they're doing.

• Options
    Spoit wrote: »

There were some pretty nuclear hot takes during the whole "datamining your PC files without asking" thing

I haven't seen a definitive answer about the truth of that rumor one way or the other other than from random people who heard about a random post about it from some guy on reddit, which is a totally unimpeachable source that should definitely be trusted to know what the fuck they're talking about right?

So if that's the only example I'm wholly unconvinced there is an epic store dick-sucking brigade problem.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I haven't seen a definitive answer about the truth of that rumor one way or the other other than from random people who heard about a random post about it from some guy on reddit, which is a totally unimpeachable source that should definitely be trusted to know what the fuck they're talking about right?

So if that's the only example I'm wholly unconvinced there is an epic store dick-sucking brigade problem.

As far as I can tell, the store was looking for steam files so it could import Steam friends and such. They got into some hot water for this because they were collecting the information without the user authorizing it. Epic says they just collected the info, and upon authorization actually sent it back to the Epic servers. They acknowledged that they absolutely should have waited for user authorization before even looking for the info, but they were just in such a rush they didn't do things properly, but now that it's been noticed by the public they'll fix it.

“You guys are right that we ought to only access the localconfig.vdf file after the user chooses to import Steam friends. The current implementation is a remnant left over from our rush to implement social features in the early days of Fortnite. It’s actually my fault for pushing the launcher team to support it super quickly and then identifying that we had to change it. Since this issue came to the forefront we’re going to fix it.”

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I saw that Bloodlines was pulled from the store for the duration of the sale but I missed all the Hades drama and the other delistings.
    It really looks like Epic launched this sale without actually letting any of the publishers know they were going to do it.
    I honestly think they figured since we're paying the $10 difference what will they care if we're selling it $10 cheaper than normal.
    With no concept of devaluation. If consumers know a game was once $8.50. Are they gonna want to buy it for $20. There's all kinds of price trackers out there these days.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    lol I bought hades during that window because I was like "there's no way they'll lower the price, that would be the dumbest thing"

guess I'm out five bucks! thanks, epic!

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yeah looks like they didn't really really let people know about the extra $10 thing very well.
    Kotaku article on the game pulls.
    A little later, Galyonkin made another comment on the same site, saying that he initially thought Paradox was aware of how the sale would affect its games, but “after a little investigation, it turned out that I was wrong.”
    Also since the sale was just taking $10 dollars off the price instead of a percentage discount is was leading to very deep discounts in some regions.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    lol I bought hades during that window because I was like "there's no way they'll lower the price, that would be the dumbest thing"

guess I'm out five bucks! thanks, epic!

you can apparently refund the more expensive version and then buy the one that's on sale now

still not as good as the original sale, but it will save you a bit

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Yeah looks like they didn't really really let people know about the extra $10 thing very well.
    Kotaku article on the game pulls.
    A little later, Galyonkin made another comment on the same site, saying that he initially thought Paradox was aware of how the sale would affect its games, but “after a little investigation, it turned out that I was wrong.”
    Also since the sale was just taking $10 dollars off the price instead of a percentage discount is was leading to very deep discounts in some regions.

Yeah, I was seeing on reddit that people in India were getting VtMB2 for $16, its nuts

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Yeah the GameDeals subreddit had a thread of people discussing playing with their VPNs. A few even got saves and libraries to transfer to their native country accounts. (allegedly)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I honestly think that steam sales and the subsequent race-to-the-bottom mindset were pretty bad for gaming in general, so it's not a big selling point for the Epic Store for me.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's certainly a different age. Hard for me to think back on the pre-online sales era

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNpgKytPcc4

God I love this trailer.

Only a couple months left!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Expectations of deep discounts are something a lot of developers and publishers have been working against for the higher tier games, including the bigger indie games, for a while so a $10 discount on anything $15 and above is something many of them would hate even when the discount is coming out of another company's pocket. A lot of people are not going to make the distinction of a massive discount funded by a third party and a regular massive discount.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

God I love this trailer.

woah how did this slip under my radar

is this timeskipped, and those are BJ's daughters?

is that a co-op Wolfenstein?

oh lord thank you for this blessed gift

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

God I love this trailer.

Yes and yes.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Anzekay wrote: »

God I love this trailer.

Yes and yes.

I think they're gonna hit a hat trick here, holy crap

Anzekay on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I love how 80s action movie it all is

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I love how BJ's daughters appear to be100% jock meatheads.

Like, yep, those are BJ's kids alright.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I just want Arkane Studio to continue to make stuff so I am excited for Youngblood.

This discussion has been closed.