As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warmest Regards, the [job] thread

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So glad the flonase is working for me. Stupid sinuses.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    I had leftover salmon for lunch today.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    After almost 6 years I am finally off of the goddamned front desk at work.

The downside is that now I'm in a cubicle in a different building so I have a much longer commute and I can no longer have a window out of which I can see deer and eagles and stuff. Work giveth and work taketh away.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    @Drake Chambers It might be worth heading over to your hotel. Telling them that you arrived early might get you checked in earlier, or at least be able to leave your bag at the desk instead of hauling it around with you.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    Man, I wish gas was under a dollar per litre. :(

yeeeup. We're at about $2.30NZD/litre right now for regular/91.

if we're lucky we get a 6 cent/litre coupon from the food shop.

Luckily since we drive minimally, we're really only filling up the car every 3-4 weeks.

That seems pretty on par with prices over here. At the moment were at about 1.40€/l which seems to be right in the middle of European prices which at the moment apparently range from 1.10€/l in Poland to over 1.70€/l in the Netherlands.

2.30 USD/gallon converts to a bit over 0.60€/l. That seems ridiculously cheap.

Y'all have taxes large enough (theoretically) to actually maintain infrastructure.

I'll take the expensive gas if I could also have bridges that don't fall down all the god damn time

But how is our finance minister going to keep his "black zero" for the budget? You can't just invest money, dont you know? No new debt ever!

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You know, maybe call volumes would be lower panicking executives if you didn’t follow this pattern so exactly every time

- Make sweeping change to an important customer interaction.
    - Not consult frontline staff and inevitably something goes wrong anyone with two seconds experience could give you a heads up on
    - Send out letters to customers apologising
    - Whoops turns out the letters are so confusing as to be actually incomprensable to the average customer. (A perfect example is letters advising payments are being increased because you’re in a credit balance. Whilst both can technically be true, payments are based on an annual amount averaged out for a utility that fluctuates heavily due to seasons I.e you may have £30 credit now but it’s november and winter is coming Jon Snow. It’s clear the letter algorthim is just your payments are <insert change> because <your balance is X> because of course whoever wrote this clearly knows nothing about how the payments work)
    - Promise to be better next time and consult staff and improve proofreading
    - Repeat unchanged for eternity.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I had to find an example entity for the Musicians category in our taxonomy and you'd better believe I spent the time to find a bagpiper with a website

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    So don't microwave fish, but can I microwave roast beef?

If you know how to use the Power setting

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I had to find an example entity for the Musicians category in our taxonomy and you'd better believe I spent the time to find a bagpiper with a website

Reminds me of a thing I heard on This American Life way back, where researchers composed music containing people’s least favorite things in songs to see if they would end up with the Worst Song Ever. As I recall, it included operatic vocals, a chorus of children, and an oompah accordion backing.

It was kind of amazing.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I had leftover salmon for lunch today.

That salmon better have been ice fucking cold

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Me at work last week: "Watch out, some asshole microwaved fish"

Coworker: ....was it you?

Me: "Yes" 8-)

Al_wat on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Ok I've spent like 4 hours trying to figure out how to implement a machine learning method in python. I think it's time to take a break

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    10:45 am chicken and waffles. This worked out alright!

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

I'm boiling a roast.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The only thing that troubles me about that spicy food story was the fact the op had gotten a lawyer to threaten the employer. I'm assuming it was an American and thus they were likely in an at-will state, so my assumption would be that the attorney would have just said that there's no case because employers can fire you for no reason or any reason at all. Though I suppose it's worth it sometimes to write a threatening letter even if you know you don't stand a chance in court. Maybe that's why I wasn't a very good lawyer, but I always tried to be straight with my clients about their odds off success.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Ok I've spent like 4 hours trying to figure out how to implement a machine learning method in python. I think it's time to take a break

As a CS grad, google is your friend. Not your "copy and paste the answer" friend, but your "figure out how someone else solved the problem, understand it, then solve it like that for yourself" friend, to be clear.

If you ever end up spending that much time bashing your head against the desk, I highly recommend it as a solution. It also prepares you for a future job as a programmer, where you'll probably use google extensively!

• Options
    El Skid wrote: »

As a CS grad, google is your friend. Not your "copy and paste the answer" friend, but your "figure out how someone else solved the problem, understand it, then solve it like that for yourself" friend, to be clear.

If you ever end up spending that much time bashing your head against the desk, I highly recommend it as a solution. It also prepares you for a future job as a programmer, where you'll probably use google extensively!

True for lots of jobs. Learning how to research on in your field is extremely useful no matter what you do and Google is a great start for like 90% of all research.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    El Skid wrote: »

Oh I've spent 4 hours bashing my head against google looking for how other people did this and nothing exists

• Options
    For anyone interested I'm trying to implement backwards subset selection in Python. One answer I found focused on the p-value for the variables in a model, but I think we're supposed to focus on the R^2 or similar value.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The only thing that troubles me about that spicy food story was the fact the op had gotten a lawyer to threaten the employer. I'm assuming it was an American and thus they were likely in an at-will state, so my assumption would be that the attorney would have just said that there's no case because employers can fire you for no reason or any reason at all. Though I suppose it's worth it sometimes to write a threatening letter even if you know you don't stand a chance in court. Maybe that's why I wasn't a very good lawyer, but I always tried to be straight with my clients about their odds off success.

I'm guessing it's because they were fired without the owners approval. Like it probably is at-will but the person that made the decision did not have the authority to do so.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    "Please keep all transport receipts and submit them to us for reimbursement after your trip!"
    ok
    "What is the purpose of the Metrocard you purchased on your day of arrival??!?"
    I dunno I thought it would make a good snack
    what do you think, buster

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    "I wanted a souvenir and it was cheaper than a shot glass."

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

Being fired for cause though can screw with unemployment and future job hunting prospects, even in right-to-fire states. Being told you're being fired for disciplinary reasons because you stole stuff or poisoned a coworker when you did not actually do those things is still going to attract a lawyer
    Shorty wrote: »

Reminds me of a thing I heard on This American Life way back, where researchers composed music containing people’s least favorite things in songs to see if they would end up with the Worst Song Ever. As I recall, it included operatic vocals, a chorus of children, and an oompah accordion backing.

It was kind of amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Much like border security, it rarely pays to be facetious with the financial administration people
    but good god.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    And now I have to drive to Tacoma because even though Puyallup has a walk-in clinic, that clinic is apparently never open.

i feel bad for anybody who has to go to tacoma
    Hey now, I live there!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    "Please keep all transport receipts and submit them to us for reimbursement after your trip!"
    ok

Because of more training i have to next week and the odd hours the classes are i might have to take a ride share but i vaguely heard they will reimburse you for it but i will find out the first day of class

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    And now I have to drive to Tacoma because even though Puyallup has a walk-in clinic, that clinic is apparently never open.

What about Fife? Do they have nothing?

Nope, closest place is Tacoma for urgent care, unfortunately.

I believe it. Nothing good is in Fife.
    Incorrect. Pick Quick is in Fife.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I would think that the spicy firing may constitute a case of slander or libel considering that company would doubtlessly be called for a reference check at some point.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    tynic wrote: »
    ok

haha
    update: I thought I was pretty civil in my response, but the dude must have realised nonetheless how ridiculous the question sounded, because he wrote back saying "thanks, the other approval office was just asking me about it."

i see your buck passing and I accept it.

tynic on
  • Options
    expendable wrote: »

Being fired for cause though can screw with unemployment and future job hunting prospects, even in right-to-fire states. Being told you're being fired for disciplinary reasons because you stole stuff or poisoned a coworker when you did not actually do those things is still going to attract a lawyer

Good point! See, I told you I wasn't a very good lawyer

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I called to follow up about my second interview. I'm glad I did I guess their gm is out of town for some unexpected business and they are waiting for her to get back to schedule something

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I called to follow up about my second interview. I'm glad I did I guess their gm is out of town for some unexpected business and they are waiting for her to get back to schedule something

You did the exact right thing here

This happens all the time and a lot of the time the people who get the second interview are just the people who wanted it bad enough to follow up

Good work!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    This is the first day I missed a day of school or work in probably a decade going back to middle school

and here I am still doing class work and sending emails

someone responded with "get the fuck off your email and go rest"

but i caaaaaaant

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I mean, I wouldn't call it "roasted" that way.

Unless you, like, put it down the whole time it's microwaving, then maybe.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    So I got promoted to manager! But it's awkward because the 3 people now under me are my old coworkers. At least one of them expressed displeasure to our old boss about me getting the job over him (not against me, more just that he wanted it) and I think the other 2 are uneasy about the change in general. What do I do? Should I call an intro meeting? It feels wrong and awkward to just have a meeting to say "Hey I'm your boss", considering they already know that, but doing nothing is also awkward.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    This is the first day I missed a day of school or work in probably a decade going back to middle school

but i caaaaaaant

Seriously dude, go rest. You'll be back in optimal shape faster, it'll be better for everyone.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I'm guessing it's because they were fired without the owners approval. Like it probably is at-will but the person that made the decision did not have the authority to do so.

Also the HR person likely had no previous actions against him and didn't fill out the paperwork right. Also threatening him with a civil suit. Likely by email because they sound incompetent.

If the fired person had the right paper trail it was a slam dunk wrongful termination case.

• Options
    KetBra wrote: »

but i caaaaaaant

Seriously dude, go rest. You'll be back in optimal shape faster, it'll be better for everyone.

I mean I have been, really. I've just been at my computer responding to a few emails and reading for class.

But I'm done with all that for today

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    So I got promoted to manager! But it's awkward because the 3 people now under me are my old coworkers. At least one of them expressed displeasure to our old boss about me getting the job over him (not against me, more just that he wanted it) and I think the other 2 are uneasy about the change in general. What do I do? Should I call an intro meeting? It feels wrong and awkward to just have a meeting to say "Hey I'm your boss", considering they already know that, but doing nothing is also awkward.

Win them over. Take them to lunch or dinner, keep the conversation light, be friendly and let them know they can count on you.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Also it helps to do the "I'm Mr. Manager" bit from Arrested Development. I do that every time I'm put in charge at work.

This discussion has been closed.