As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I had someone who had her dual monitors set up backwards (i.e. to go from right monitor to left you had to move the mouse off the right side of the monitor) for a solid year. When I asked her why she didn't ask anyone about it she said she didn't think it could be fixed and just got used to it.

And now they don't want it switched because they'd have to relearn it, right?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I hate hoops as much as the next guy but I really wish users would stop harping on me for not downloading "official" source packages from unofficial sources.

Just reset your password and save us all the headache.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This is your friendly daily reminder that Users are all liars.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    This is your friendly daily reminder that Users are all liars.
    My favorite corollary is that sometimes they don’t even know they’re lying.

• Options
    The only time they ever tell the truth is when they are trying to lie to you and simultaneously wrong.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    What are users?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    What are users?

Who are users?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    What are users?

Who are users?

Why are users?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    I am so happy someone got that.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Thawmus wrote: »
    What are users?

Who are users?

Why are users?

Users are why?

Edit:
    Users, are why?
    Users are, why?

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Mmm.. lots of mails marked as spam. Going to check at various points; internal servers: OK, DMZ mail appliances: OK. No changes in SPF, no changes DMarc/DKIM. Nothing mentioned in Office365 portal/service center. But luckily one of my colleagues had MSFT365Status on twitter and the issue was reported there.

Nice, those 5 billion communication streams from Microsoft where none is the one and only Official Word of MS.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I think I might be trying to learn too many new things at once. I'm trying to use lando to set up a dead simple api server for local development, but between lando, nginx, and docker, I'm not sure where my problem lies.

My lando project is a lemp stack and I'm trying to set it up such that when I go to <lando-url>:<port>/api/foo, I'm served /api/index.php?q=foo.

My lando file:
    name: project
    services:
      app:
        type: php:7.2
        via: nginx
        ssl: true
        webroot: web
        config:
          server: config/nginx.conf

config/nginx.conf:
    # based on http://brainspl.at/nginx.conf.txt

{{#if NGINX_DAEMON_USER}}{{#if NGINX_DAEMON_GROUP}}
    user {{NGINX_DAEMON_USER}} {{NGINX_DAEMON_GROUP}};
    {{/if}}{{/if}}

worker_processes  auto;

error_log  "{{NGINX_LOGDIR}}/error.log";
    pid        "{{NGINX_TMPDIR}}/nginx.pid";

events {
        worker_connections  1024;
    }

http {
        include       mime.types;
        default_type  application/octet-stream;

fastcgi_buffers 16 16k;
        fastcgi_buffer_size 32k;

add_header X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN;
        client_body_temp_path  "{{NGINX_TMPDIR}}/client_body" 1 2;
        proxy_temp_path "{{NGINX_TMPDIR}}/proxy" 1 2;
        fastcgi_temp_path "{{NGINX_TMPDIR}}/fastcgi" 1 2;
        scgi_temp_path "{{NGINX_TMPDIR}}/scgi" 1 2;
        uwsgi_temp_path "{{NGINX_TMPDIR}}/uwsgi" 1 2;

log_format main '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] '
                        '"$request" $status  $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
                        '"$http_user_agent" "$http_x_forwarded_for"';

access_log  "{{NGINX_LOGDIR}}/access.log";

# no sendfile on OSX
        sendfile        on;

tcp_nopush     on;
        tcp_nodelay       off;

#keepalive_timeout  0;
        keepalive_timeout  65;
        gzip on;
        gzip_http_version 1.0;
        gzip_comp_level 2;
        gzip_proxied any;
        gzip_types text/plain text/css application/x-javascript text/xml application/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript;

ssl_protocols TLSv1 TLSv1.1 TLSv1.2;

map $http_x_forwarded_proto $lando_https {
          default '';
          https on;
        }

map $http_x_forwarded_proto $http_user_agent_https {
          default '';
          https ON;
        }

include "{{NGINX_CONFDIR}}/vhosts/*.conf";

# HTTP Server
      server {
        # port to listen on. Can also be set to an IP:PORT
        listen {{NGINX_HTTP_PORT_NUMBER}};

rewrite ^/api/(.*)$ /api/index.php?q=$1 last;

location /status {
          stub_status on;
          access_log   off;
          allow 127.0.0.1;
          deny all;
        }
      }
    }

This is the default nginx conf file from the lando documentation with the exception of the rewrite at the end, but I've never come close to getting it working. I can visit <lando-url>:<port>/api/index.php?q=foo and it works fine, so I know that's not the problem.

I've also tried
    location ~ /api/ {
      rewrite ^.*$ /api/index.php?q=$1 permanent;
    }

but it doesn't work either.

Should either of those work? I've read the lando documentation a hundred times for PHP and nginx configuration and I can't tell if lando isn't using my config file or if the rewrite is wrong, or something else.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Do the server logs show anything?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Hmm. I found this:

app_nginx_1 | DEBUG ==> 'nginx.conf' not found. Applying bitnami configuration...

So I think the lando documentation must be wrong. Which sucks, because I can't find anything that suggests the right way.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Hmm. I found this:

app_nginx_1 | DEBUG ==> 'nginx.conf' not found. Applying bitnami configuration...

So I think the lando documentation must be wrong. Which sucks, because I can't find anything that suggests the right way.

What is the full path to nginx.conf? can you specify that full path in the lando file instead of just config/nginx.conf (e.g. /home/delzhand/config/nginx.conf or whatever it is).

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    People can interpret Twitter.

They can interpret Instagram.

They can interpret Reddit.

But email bounces? Fucking impossible.

• Options
    People can interpret Twitter.

They can interpret Instagram.

They can interpret Reddit.

But email bounces? Fucking impossible.

Email system: Sorry, I can't deliver this email to a;sldjqwoij22;3iotnq;nfq16576843215351:a233323, it doesn't appear to be a valid email address.

User: The email server must be down, I better tell my director!

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Jesus this Mac has more issues with sleep than early 2000's Linux.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Having now finally worked extensively on every major OS, I have zero idea why Mac is a luxury brand. I really don't. Maybe their hayday was just in the past? Because Macs currently are garbage machines and garbage to support.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Having now finally worked extensively on every major OS, I have zero idea why Mac is a luxury brand. I really don't. Maybe their hayday was just in the past? Because Macs currently are garbage machines and garbage to support.

We just had a programmer retire who could make his macs sing. He was manipulating that thing like I'm pretty sure I should be manipulating my linux workstation, but it was just magical. Whenever I was over his shoulder he was just doing magic.

But everything he bought always had the latest and greatest processor in it, and he never let the company spare any expense when it came to his machine at all.

I think most people cheap the fuck out when they buy their macs.

• Options
    I can make Linux sing.

This stupid thing mostly just cries in the corner.

• Options
    I guess I should say I can make a tiling window manager sing and amathyst is a bad substitute.

• Options
    edited September 2019

This is exactly it. Let me take you back to 2006, with the release of Windows Vista. So, Vista was/is not as bad as people remembered, but the problem was that in 2006, it ran like ass on anything less than a $1500 windows computer. and in 2006 every windows computer, whether it be $500 or $1500, was a cheap plastic box that felt like trash. Where Macs were made with high quality plastics (the white plastic macbook felt great), or Aluminum/metal and had fantastic build quality. So, if you wanted to spend $1200-1500 on a computer around then, Macs were just made better, and were worth the premium. Even with Windows 7 and the birth of the ultrabook, the Macbook Air was just built a little better, and a little nicer, for generally the same ballpark price as an ultrabook. I have a 2011 11" Macbook air, and while I don't use it on a regular basis anymore, I pull it out every so often when I need to look at something Mac OS related. If it wasn't for the fact that the screen is only 1366x768 and bezel-tastic, that machine is still very viable today. It's still pretty fast, the keyboard is great, and I love the trackpad. It's a genuinely good piece of hardware.

Apple cashed in at exactly the right time, and they got a generation of computer buyers to think that apple products are better. combine that with aggressive marketing of "well if you have an iPhone, it just makes sense to have a mac" and you get people that kept buying macs.

Nowadays, Windows ulttrabooks are cheaper, better, and are way smarter buys. the current mac lineup trades on name only. but if you've been buying macs since 2007, it's really hard to switch. Or, the real dirty little secret, the average person doesn't need more than a $300 chromebook anymore, and that's the real threat, both to apple and microsoft.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Dirtier secret:

Linux is fine for most people.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    It also helped that Apple has been aggressively marketing to schools and children since their early days. Selling cheap Apples IIs and later, iMacs to schools got entire generations hooked on Apple products.

• Options
    Dirtier secret:

Linux is fine for most people.

While you're not wrong, I'd still tell people to buy a chromebook over a pure linux distro. At least the chrome name is at least familiar.

• Options
    I agree because frankly I don't want to be involved in most people's home pc purchasing decisions, and that's the easiest way through that conversation.

Also there's several chromebook linux distros out there, so if they get interested there's that too.

• Options
    And really, people use their phone for 90% of their computing now anyway. the people in this thread are likely not in that demographic, but the average person just users their phone, and only uses a laptop/computer for work/specialized tasks. My mom has been iPad only since about 2012 at home. It does what she needs.

Hell, even for me, for truly personal use, I could use a chromebook for 90% of what I do on a computer outside of gaming. A $300 chromebook is more than enough for almost all of my "couch computing" needs. The only/main reason I still have a windows laptop is that a couple years ago there was one streaming video website that i use *a lot* on a laptop that didn't play nice with chrome os for whatever reason, and it was enough that it was a dealbreaker for me. I'm sure that's resolved by now, and when I do need to replace a laptop, a chromebook is more than enough.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

We just had a programmer retire who could make his macs sing. He was manipulating that thing like I'm pretty sure I should be manipulating my linux workstation, but it was just magical. Whenever I was over his shoulder he was just doing magic.

But everything he bought always had the latest and greatest processor in it, and he never let the company spare any expense when it came to his machine at all.

People always seem to get impressed when I swish and swoosh across desktops and windows with gestures.

I don't use alt-tab much at all in macOS, I usually do a four-finger sweep.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

People always seem to get impressed when I swish and swoosh across desktops and windows with gestures.

And windows has had similar gestures for years.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I would recommend ChromeOS to most home users except for one thing: driver support and especially getting consumer printers working.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I would recommend ChromeOS to most home users except for one thing: driver support and especially getting consumer printers working.

Any printer released in the last couple years should fire right up once your printer is on your network. I've had trouble with printers shared from other devices but that's been a mess lately anyway.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Install all printers as network printers.

• Options
    and realistically, do people actually print a lot at home anymore? Not many people I know actually own a printer at this point.

• Options
    and realistically, do people actually print a lot at home anymore? Not many people I know actually own a printer at this point.

I've got a cheap b&w Brother laser printer at home. The best thing about toner is that it never dries out. I've had the same starter cart sice I got it back in 2013. I mostly use it for printing out important forms that have to be be on paper.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

And windows has had similar gestures for years.

Virtual desktops and using CTRL+Win+arrows to switch between is like magic (especially for switching between full screen RDP sessions).

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

I've got a cheap b&w Brother laser printer at home. The best thing about toner is that it never dries out. I've had the same starter cart sice I got it back in 2013. I mostly use it for printing out important forms that have to be be on paper.

Yeah, I have whatever the Brother laser multi-function is. It is nice to be able to scan stuff and send it off.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular

10.4 was a great OS.

It's been going downhill since.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »

Yeah, I have whatever the Brother laser multi-function is. It is nice to be able to scan stuff and send it off.

The best use I've found for it is getting a high quality scan of my best signature to stick on forms before I print them out. It saves so much time being able to fill out and sign digital forms before handing them off.

This discussion has been closed.