As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    It happened guys. I got a formal job offer from that dealership chain for $26/h. I told him I needed a day to think over the offer and give notice before formally accepting. Tomorrow I am going to sit down and talk with my current boss about getting a counter offer and/or giving notice. I would consider staying at my current job if they can meet the new offer but I highly doubt they'd give me a 25% raise like that.

Do you also get a free car?

Sort of? I would designate one of the dealerships as my home base. I would take my car to home base and use a company car from there. They said that eventually I might be able to take a company car home with me.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I hope the dealership network is with a good brand that has cars that are actually worth driving then. :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    I hope the dealership network is with a good brand that has cars that are actually worth driving then. :rotate:

2 of the dealerships specialize in luxury cars. The really nice one is the farthest from where I live, though. Honestly, I might take the longer commute if it means I can drive an EV everyday. You guys know how much of an EV slut I am.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    It happened guys. I got a formal job offer from that dealership chain for $26/h. I told him I needed a day to think over the offer and give notice before formally accepting. Tomorrow I am going to sit down and talk with my current boss about getting a counter offer and/or giving notice. I would consider staying at my current job if they can meet the new offer but I highly doubt they'd give me a 25% raise like that.

Congrats!

I feel like we say this a lot, but remember when you're considering this that you weren't looking for a new job just for a pay bump. There were other things about your existing gig that you don't like -- what are those worth? Are they worth a 25% bump vs. taking it somewhere else? And what will your employer's reaction be once they know you've been looking? In general, unless you went to get an offer for the sole purpose of getting a raise where you are (which is arguably a bad idea), be careful about staying for just a matched amount.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Thread SLA

5 9's in recommending leave your damn job.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    twmjr wrote: »

Congrats!

I feel like we say this a lot, but remember when you're considering this that you weren't looking for a new job just for a pay bump. There were other things about your existing gig that you don't like -- what are those worth? Are they worth a 25% bump vs. taking it somewhere else? And what will your employer's reaction be once they know you've been looking? In general, unless you went to get an offer for the sole purpose of getting a raise where you are (which is arguably a bad idea), be careful about staying for just a matched amount.

My current employer will be cool if I leave. I'm not looking to burn any bridges so I'm going to give 2 weeks notice. Hardly anyone has ever been fired from my current company so the vast majority of the attrition is on good terms. There are indeed a lot of things I don't like about my current job. Like some of the working conditions and how some of the clients treat us. Honestly, either of those could be up in the air with the new place. I'm trading doctors for car salesmen. I honestly have no idea which one would be more unreasonably demanding. Though, based on my conversations with everyone thus far, my workload will be lighter. All of the dealerships combined are probably around the same size as just 1 (the largest) of my 4 flat-fee clients. I'll technically always be on-call but there will seldom be after hours work to do. Thus far they have gotten by (albeit with some trouble) with no local IT guy. I can't imagine the after hours workload being anywhere near what it is being on-call for an entire MSP for an entire week at a time. I'll probably still have to climb under desks, up ladders and into dirty spaces. I'll still have to run the occasional cat6 drop and terminate ends.

Really, I'm almost definitely going to take the new job, even if I get a competitive counteroffer from my current job. Heck, maybe I'll leave for 18 months, hate it and got back to my current job for even more money. At least, that's what the guy who hooked me up with this new job did a while back.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hello.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    I talked to my boss this morning and laid out my new offer for him. I told him I hadn't made any decisions yet. He wanted to talk it over with his business partner (and brother) to come up with a counteroffer. I think I'll have a counter offer on Monday. I'm unsure if I would even take the counteroffer but I have resolved to give myself the weekend to think about it more.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm not sure I could go to my boss and even want to have a counter be made to me. I feel like it would F up the working relationship quite a bit were I to accept the counter.

That's just a personal thing though, and I don't subscribe at all to the "it's just business" mantra*. More power to you either way though; whether you like the counter and want to take it, or decide to move on.

* Partially (mostly?) because people who say that suddenly take things very personally when they feel they're being fucked over.

iTunesIsEvil on
    I'm not sure I could go to my boss and even want to have a counter be made to me. I feel like it would F up the working relationship quite a bit were I to accept the counter.

That's just a personal thing though, and I don't subscribe at all to the "it's just business" mantra*. More power to you either way though; whether you like the counter and want to take it, or decide to move on.

* Partially (mostly?) because people who say that suddenly take things very personally when they feel they're being fucked over.

In all honesty, my boss is way to cool to get all pissey about someone leaving. Like I said before, almost all of the people who have left, have done so on good terms. One was even hired back after 18 months at another job. I have never been anything but up front and honest in our interactions and he has reciprocated. I'm honestly more on the fence today than I was yesterday. I think it's good that I'm taking the weekend to mull it over.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

In all honesty, my boss is way to cool to get all pissey about someone leaving. Like I said before, almost all of the people who have left, have done so on good terms. One was even hired back after 18 months at another job. I have never been anything but up front and honest in our interactions and he has reciprocated. I'm honestly more on the fence today than I was yesterday. I think it's good that I'm taking the weekend to mull it over.

I never recommend taking the counter offer. But. If you love your boss that much, you should consider the counter offer. How few of us ever trust and admire our bosses?

What is this I don't even.
    Friday afternoons before a long weekend are simultaneously the best and worst thing.

(Canadian Thanksgiving is on Monday)

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I'm sitting and waiting for Solidworks to finish installing on two systems. They have been going for over a half hour now.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Just force restart them.

Damn-it guys. This is a really hard decision. My boss emailed me after our conversation to ask me if leaving was just about money or if was also looking to change my role. It got me thinking and it got me typing. I've spent the last few hours working on a reply. I really do respect him, even if I feel he's a little out of touch with the sentiments of the techs. I'm trying to be as honest and up front about my thoughts and feelings as I can. Honestly it's better that I do this via email since I can edit down my thoughts into something more coherent.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I'm sitting and waiting for Solidworks to finish installing on two systems. They have been going for over a half hour now.

What's your installation method? Solidworks can be a ridiculously long install if done via network source instead of copying the files down. And by ridiculous i mean, if i didn't want to copy the source down to a local drive I'd let these installers run for 2 hours on the regular.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Any installer over like 50M, I will always copy locally before extracting or installing.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

Feral wrote: »
    Any installer over like 50M, I will always copy locally before extracting or installing.

I mount 4gb ISOs directly from a UNC network share. Come at me, bro.

Just have network shares that are faster than local storage. Problem solved.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Damn-it guys. This is a really hard decision. My boss emailed me after our conversation to ask me if leaving was just about money or if was also looking to change my role. It got me thinking and it got me typing. I've spent the last few hours working on a reply. I really do respect him, even if I feel he's a little out of touch with the sentiments of the techs. I'm trying to be as honest and up front about my thoughts and feelings as I can. Honestly it's better that I do this via email since I can edit down my thoughts into something more coherent.

What do you want if you stay? Do you want to be in control of business decisions with the techs, basically taking over his role and freeing him up to more business oriented tasks?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Myiagros wrote: »

What's your installation method? Solidworks can be a ridiculously long install if done via network source instead of copying the files down. And by ridiculous i mean, if i didn't want to copy the source down to a local drive I'd let these installers run for 2 hours on the regular.

Was going over the network on spotty wifi to boot. I'm definitely going to copy it next time.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

A legitimate apology:

I should have prepared you for this, because it's what happened to me last year about this time when I kinda/sorta negotiated with another job offer. My employer suddenly asked me what I wanted and was willing to move mountains and I didn't know how to answer the most basic of questions:

"What do you want besides more pay?"

Because you don't know the answer off the top of your head, and you feel embarrassed now because you're wondering if you made a mountain out of a mole-hill, and are those problems you complain about real problems, etc etc etc.

It's a good lesson for everyone to learn, I think, is that if you've been somewhere long enough, your employer might surprisingly be willing to bend over backwards to make you happy, and you should know what you want, above and beyond more pay.

A good lesson to not learn the hard way, I'd say! And I should have shared it when you were talking about this last week. But I didn't, because I wasn't paying attention!

Twitch: Thawmus83
    Thawmus wrote: »

A legitimate apology:

I should have prepared you for this, because it's what happened to me last year about this time when I kinda/sorta negotiated with another job offer. My employer suddenly asked me what I wanted and was willing to move mountains and I didn't know how to answer the most basic of questions:

"What do you want besides more pay?"

Because you don't know the answer off the top of your head, and you feel embarrassed now because you're wondering if you made a mountain out of a mole-hill, and are those problems you complain about real problems, etc etc etc.

It's a good lesson for everyone to learn, I think, is that if you've been somewhere long enough, your employer might surprisingly be willing to bend over backwards to make you happy, and you should know what you want, above and beyond more pay.

A good lesson to not learn the hard way, I'd say! And I should have shared it when you were talking about this last week. But I didn't, because I wasn't paying attention!

Well, that's exactly what happened. My boss decided he really wanted to keep me. He called me in for a meeting just a little while ago. We don't have a specific opening for me to fill but I had a few ideas. We both agreed that it would be best to think on it and meet again next week when we've come up with some new duties and responsibilities that I could be doing. Basically he offered me a $5.50/h raise in line with what the other company offered me and a promotion of sorts.

So, yeah. I'm staying. I'm going to be making a lot more money and doing more work that I want. Evidently I am rather highly valued around here.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Does your boss actually have any control over the things he's offering? Or can other powers simply go over his head and ignore any promises beyond pay?

edited October 2019
    Does your boss actually have any control over the things he's offering? Or can other powers simply go over his head and ignore any promises beyond pay?

When I say boss, I'm actually talking about the owner (and sometimes his brother) of the company. I've been at the company longer than the person who's technically my direct superior and long ago learned not to go to him for such matters. Whenever I need real bossing I go to the owner.

That_Guy on
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    General imposter syndrome post
    I'm currently struggling with the feeling of being unproductive in my new role and I'm not sure if it's because I am used to an overbearing workload or if I'm really not being productive.

I have been given vague directions on what to work toward, but all strings I've chased have ended in blockers or with me having questions about procedures.

Currently what they want me to do and how the project is being run are antithetical to eachother and I hate putting redundant processes in place.

Manager is out this week. So I'm just taking what little tickets there are, evaluating the infrastructure I'm working with and writing up documentation for change w/ reasoning and benefits.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Ugh. . .

This is all broken. . .

*Flips table*

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    If it's a new role, you're gonna feel useless for a while.

No, random employee, going to my manager after you and I had a conversation with a result you didn't like three different times will not result in you getting an answer you like.

No, random employee, going to my manager after you and I had a conversation with a result you didn't like three different times will not result in you getting an answer you like.

But the schadenfreude is palpable. Mmmm delicious.

But what if it does

Feral wrote: »

But what if it does

Where I work it will result in to my manager going to their manager and them getting a result they really don't like.

• mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Rackspace support is really ass these days.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Rackspace support is really ass these days.

All tech support is ass unless you are a big client and yell at your vendor.

Accountant software sucks. Moving a client to a new server and their software dating back 10+ years has to be moved as well which results in over 40 new installations and reconfiguring of the each version of the software.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm glad my plate is kind of light at the moment, and I can justify watching Solarwinds' conference stuff all day today.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited October 2019
    One of my clients updated his iPhone to the latest iOS. Afterwards he started having issues with work emails and notifications. Yesterday I deleted and re-added he account on his phone but it was still not working right. I found out today that he didn't make a backup of his phone before upgrading. I gave him a few options today. He could send it off to apple, just buy a new iphone, or I could attempt a firmware downgrade using iOS images from some sketchy looking phone modding website. He didn't like any of those options and just replied to the ticket with "Is the best you can do is to just tell me to buy a new phone?"

I can't even, sometimes. I replied back telling him that we are not an apple authorized service center and are limited in what we can fix. I didn't tell him that their service agreement with us doesn't even cover smartphones and I just help out with them because I'm nice.

That_Guy on
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Well, that's what I'd tell him right away!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Have him try a different mail client?

This discussion has been closed.