Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Sysadmin] Cause of your issue found: sunspots

1568101136

Posts

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    It wouldn't bother me so much if yesterday I hadn't fielded two questions in a row from an IT helpdesk where the questions themselves indicated fundamental conceptual misunderstandings that would have been ameliorated if the tech had read the documentation I wrote (for the first question) and my emails (for the second question)

    Dim brain: not writing documentation
    Woke brain: writing documentation
    Galaxy brain: not reading documentation and instead going to the person who wrote it and pestering them

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    SeidkonaThegreatcowNaphtaliDrovekbowenFeldornTL DRDarkewolfeThawmusMugsleya5ehren
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I'm starting to believe that galaxy brain is never documenting or explaining anything because people are going to ask me about it instead of reading what I've written anyway.

    DrovekFeralbowenRandomHajileBahamutZEROShadowfireThawmusa5ehren
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    I'm starting to believe that galaxy brain is never documenting or explaining anything because people are going to ask me about it instead of reading what I've written anyway.

    Partner with an elementary school to run a literacy program; forward all your phone calls to children who get their reading experience by reading your documentation to the users and techs.

    DrovekFeldornSeidkonaBlackDragon480ThawmusMugsleyRadiation
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    twmjr wrote: »
    I'm starting to believe that galaxy brain is never documenting or explaining anything because people are going to ask me about it instead of reading what I've written anyway.

    Partner with an elementary school to run a literacy program; forward all your phone calls to children who get their reading experience by reading your documentation to the users and techs.

    lp42j0jq8qhi.jpeg

    steam_sig.png
    ThawmusMugsleyAuralynxRadiation
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Dell. Why are you calling us on a Friday afternoon at 5 o-fucking clock to follow up on an SR? Do you actually want to get ahold of someone for reals, because that's not how you do it. Also, why did you call the help desk and not the contact numbers left on the SR?

    FeralDrovekSeidkonawunderbarTL DRThawmus
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited April 27
    On Call.

    High priority ticket comes in.

    Someone used the wrong case for echo when they modified a script. . .

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    DrovekwunderbarFeldornThawmus
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Who's up because storage went down?

    This girl.

    Who won't give a shit in a few weeks?

    Same person.

    Does your current job know yet?

    Nope. I got the offer today. My start day will be on the 20th.

    I am going to give notice on Monday and then take a week off in between.

    I'm in a similar spot, except my current job won't allow PTO after you give notice. They also want 4 weeks or they won't pay out PTO, which is obviously not happening, so I'm taking a vacation and giving them 2 weeks when I return.

    SeidkonaDrovekLD50
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Who's up because storage went down?

    This girl.

    Who won't give a shit in a few weeks?

    Same person.

    Does your current job know yet?

    Nope. I got the offer today. My start day will be on the 20th.

    I am going to give notice on Monday and then take a week off in between.

    I'm in a similar spot, except my current job won't allow PTO after you give notice. They also want 4 weeks or they won't pay out PTO, which is obviously not happening, so I'm taking a vacation and giving them 2 weeks when I return.

    Four weeks? Are you like the designer of everything they run on prod or something? Geeze.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    DrovekDarkewolfeThawmus
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 28
    Those days when you spend multiple hours troubleshooting something because the admin asking for help from your engineering team didn't flush their dns after you made their requested changes.

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    FeralSeidkonawunderbar
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Who's up because storage went down?

    This girl.

    Who won't give a shit in a few weeks?

    Same person.

    Does your current job know yet?

    Nope. I got the offer today. My start day will be on the 20th.

    I am going to give notice on Monday and then take a week off in between.

    I'm in a similar spot, except my current job won't allow PTO after you give notice. They also want 4 weeks or they won't pay out PTO, which is obviously not happening, so I'm taking a vacation and giving them 2 weeks when I return.

    Four weeks? Are you like the designer of everything they run on prod or something? Geeze.
    ......yes.

    SeidkonaThawmus
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Who's up because storage went down?

    This girl.

    Who won't give a shit in a few weeks?

    Same person.

    Does your current job know yet?

    Nope. I got the offer today. My start day will be on the 20th.

    I am going to give notice on Monday and then take a week off in between.

    I'm in a similar spot, except my current job won't allow PTO after you give notice. They also want 4 weeks or they won't pay out PTO, which is obviously not happening, so I'm taking a vacation and giving them 2 weeks when I return.

    Four weeks? Are you like the designer of everything they run on prod or something? Geeze.

    Oh, that's just what the handbook says for every salaried employee. It's been a gradually-increasing level of "fuck you" from management to the workers for years now.

    SeidkonaThawmus
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited April 28
    What a lovely on call weekend.

    Just got a critical incident ticket to check to see if a server is up that someone reported earlier in the ticket was running fine.

    You have a network problem. How many people do you need to wake up to confirm it?

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    FeralThawmus
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    That NPO I said I had to leave? I just found out it has mostly collapsed.

    There are only a few people left operating there under a different company name doing a much different thing than before.

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    ThawmusFeralShadowfirechrishallett83Radiation
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 29
    I spent the entire morning writing documentation and now this afternoon I'm the designated break/fix ticket intake person.

    so basically the worst Monday.

    wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    SeidkonaThawmusTL DR
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    GCP has no way to rename VMs/Instances...if you want to rename it you have to clone it to a new VM with a new name..and they also don't support transferring static reserved internal IP's from one VM to another so you need a new IP as well...ffffuuuuuu google wtf.

    WII U NNID- talios
    steam-taliosfalcon
    XBL-AdeptPenguin
    Drovek
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Dear everybody,

    No, we cannot stop scam calls.

    No, blocking caller ID does not work.

    No, there is literally nothing we can do.

    Please stop complaining about it.

    Sincerely,
    IT

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    a5ehrenThegreatcowThawmus
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Dear everybody,

    No, we cannot stop scam calls.

    No, blocking caller ID does not work.

    No, there is literally nothing we can do.

    Please stop complaining about it.

    Sincerely,
    IT

    Addendum: Please badger your congress-critters to change the laws surrounding phone number spoofing so that phone companies are forced to change the system

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    FeralThawmusBahamutZEROMvrck
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Today's theme is meeeeeeeeeetiiiiings.

  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Dear everybody,

    No, we cannot stop scam calls.

    No, blocking caller ID does not work.

    No, there is literally nothing we can do.

    Please stop complaining about it.

    Sincerely,
    IT

    Dear IT,

    My friend Tammy at Acme Inc. told me that Acme did, in fact, stop all scam callers. Could that be because they use macs instead of windows?

    Sincerely,
    Jennifer

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    FeralThegreatcowThawmusShadowfireSeidkonaDarkewolfeNaphtali
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    That NPO I said I had to leave? I just found out it has mostly collapsed.

    There are only a few people left operating there under a different company name doing a much different thing than before.

    Go on..

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Drovek
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Dear everybody,

    No, we cannot stop scam calls.

    No, blocking caller ID does not work.

    No, there is literally nothing we can do.

    Please stop complaining about it.

    Sincerely,
    IT

    Addendum: Please badger your congress-critters to change the laws surrounding phone number spoofing so that phone companies are forced to change the system
    Yes, this is definitely going to work. Certainly no Congresspeople who have a vested interest in keeping the status quo.

    bowen
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    That NPO I said I had to leave? I just found out it has mostly collapsed.

    There are only a few people left operating there under a different company name doing a much different thing than before.

    Go on..

    I don't know what there is to say. There's more details but they wouldn't mean much to anyone who didn't work there.

    The guy who became Executive Director who I complained about constantly got his ass handed to him and he was forced to step down and is back to being the head of finance.

    So there's that.

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    Here is an update on the ticket you are requesting so urgently. In the last 10 minutes since you had helpdesk call me: I have woken up, gotten out of bed, and I am just now logging into the VPN.

    Super helpful?

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    DrovekDarkewolfeShadowfireThawmusThegreatcowchrishallett83MvrckFeral
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Here is an update on the ticket you are requesting so urgently. In the last 10 minutes since you had helpdesk call me: I have woken up, gotten out of bed, and I am just now logging into the VPN.

    Super helpful?

    It shouldn't take more than 20 seconds to unlock an AD account.

    Feral
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Here is an update on the ticket you are requesting so urgently. In the last 10 minutes since you had helpdesk call me: I have woken up, gotten out of bed, and I am just now logging into the VPN.

    Super helpful?

    It shouldn't take more than 20 seconds to unlock an AD account.

    Dohohohoho...that would imply that the users in question actually remembered about the self service portal, remembered their security questions for said portal and figured out how to type in the CAPTCHA field determining if they are robots or not. Either my users are all robots or...well...

  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    This is what drives me crazy between "computer people" and "everyone else". It's not easy for me to reset passwords or remember security questions or "make things look easy" because I just get it or 'see the code' matrix style. I just put in more than 5 seconds of effort.
    Stop throwing your hands up in the air because you give up looking for how to save or tab over, and take 10 seconds to look. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    DrovekShadowfireFeral
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    Upper management is at a cyber security meeting.

    With no IT staff present.

    I feel a headache coming on...

    steam_sig.png
    Mugsleya5ehrenSeidkonawunderbarShadowfireArcSynMvrckFeralLD50RandomHajileAustinP0027
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Upper management is at a cyber security meeting.

    With no IT staff present.

    I feel a headache coming on...

    They're gonna talk about bike racks the whole time.

    Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.
    ThawmusbowenSeidkonaFeralDrovekSwashbucklerXX
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    Just accepted my offer.

    Time to be a Cloud Engineer.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    TL DRNaphtalilwt1973ThawmuswunderbarInquisitor77ThegreatcowAegisStraygatsbyLD50AiouaShadowfireDrovekRandomHajileMvrckCiriraDarkewolfeMugsleyRadiationSwashbucklerXXAustinP0027chrishallett83
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I just saw your predecessor's review on Glassdoor

    gkq7531hf94o.png

    wunderbarSeidkonaDrovekMvrckMugsley
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Here is an update on the ticket you are requesting so urgently. In the last 10 minutes since you had helpdesk call me: I have woken up, gotten out of bed, and I am just now logging into the VPN.

    Super helpful?

    It shouldn't take more than 20 seconds to unlock an AD account.

    Dohohohoho...that would imply that the users in question actually remembered about the self service portal, remembered their security questions for said portal and figured out how to type in the CAPTCHA field determining if they are robots or not. Either my users are all robots or...well...

    I meant they were waking up the on-call because of an AD lockout, and that Entaru is being overtly entitled because it only takes 20 seconds...

    Feral
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    I don't even know what AD is.

    What repo do I get it from?

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    ThawmusLD50Drovek
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    I don't even know what AD is.

    What repo do I get it from?

    Probably EPEL.

    steam_sig.png
    SeidkonaDrovek
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Here is an update on the ticket you are requesting so urgently. In the last 10 minutes since you had helpdesk call me: I have woken up, gotten out of bed, and I am just now logging into the VPN.

    Super helpful?

    It shouldn't take more than 20 seconds to unlock an AD account.

    Dohohohoho...that would imply that the users in question actually remembered about the self service portal, remembered their security questions for said portal and figured out how to type in the CAPTCHA field determining if they are robots or not. Either my users are all robots or...well...

    I meant they were waking up the on-call because of an AD lockout, and that Entaru is being overtly entitled because it only takes 20 seconds...

    Most of our on-call tickets are password lockouts.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feldorn
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited April 30
    This was actually root full because someone on the app team is a moron and doesn't know you don't put huge files in /

    Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    ThawmusLD50
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    Broke: staffing the helpdesk the same hours as our offices are open (8-6, 7 days a week)

    Woke: staff the helpdesk 9-6 M-F and let unanswered helpdesk calls roll into the on-call queue

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    TL DRSeidkonaMvrck
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    Here is an update on the ticket you are requesting so urgently. In the last 10 minutes since you had helpdesk call me: I have woken up, gotten out of bed, and I am just now logging into the VPN.

    Super helpful?

    It shouldn't take more than 20 seconds to unlock an AD account.

    Dohohohoho...that would imply that the users in question actually remembered about the self service portal, remembered their security questions for said portal and figured out how to type in the CAPTCHA field determining if they are robots or not. Either my users are all robots or...well...

    I meant they were waking up the on-call because of an AD lockout, and that Entaru is being overtly entitled because it only takes 20 seconds...

    Most of our on-call tickets are password lockouts.

    Sounds like you need to use your copious free time to implement a self-service portal for this

    SeidkonaFeralThawmus
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I just got my requested security review conversation for our in-house infrastructure. You know, the RMM tools that, if compromised by someone who knows what they have their hands on, gives them access to every endpoint at all of our clients.

    Google, how do I short the stock of a privately-held company?

    SeidkonaMvrck
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    The guy I share an office with is studying for his CCNA and has been silent with his head buried in study material all morning

    He just abruptly stood up, said "Fuck the OSI model", and walked out of the room

    EchoDrovekSeidkonawunderbartaliosfalconRandomHajileBlackDragon480
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    The guy I share an office with is studying for his CCNA and has been silent with his head buried in study material all morning

    He just abruptly stood up, said "Fuck the OSI model", and walked out of the room

    Tell him about layer 8.

    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    TL DRDrovekwunderbartaliosfalcon
Sign In or Register to comment.