As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Actually, on second thought it's less "you touched it, you own it"

and more

"Everything is network"

Bellevue's accounting application is slow? That must mean the network is slow! Give it to networking!

Listen. We all know it's always the antivirus.

What is this I don't even.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I thought it is always DNS.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Motherfuck

Last year we had one of those Microsoft SAM things. They stopped responding halfway through.

Now they just contacted me and want to start over with a new assessment.

I really hate doing these.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Motherfuck

Last year we had one of those Microsoft SAM things. They stopped responding halfway through.

Yeah, I would tell them to fuck right off with that shit. Alternatively they are free to assess this photo copy of my ball sack.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Motherfuck

We just started replying "Thanks for your interest. We understand these audits are voluntary - as we are in the middle of a project right now, we are going to decline at this time. Regards, _____"

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    So I didn't get the job I really wanted, but a client just heard I was leaving and emphatically asked me to send them my resume

That feels nice

The CEO just called me asking if there was anything he could do to keep me, and was making all kinds of promises about flexibility and compensation

Even if I hadn't seen other people go for this and then get burned, there's no way that's ever a good idea

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So I didn't get the job I really wanted, but a client just heard I was leaving and emphatically asked me to send them my resume

That feels nice

The CEO just called me asking if there was anything he could do to keep me, and was making all kinds of promises about flexibility and compensation

Even if I hadn't seen other people go for this and then get burned, there's no way that's ever a good idea

I think it depends on the company.

There are times where I think about my decision to stay, and wonder if I made the right choice.

Obviously I still feel that I did. But I'm a worrywort, so I worry whether I made a bad decision.

The truth is this job's pretty good.

Also that grooming me for taking over everything started happening a few weeks ago. Which has filled me with a sense of elation and terror, simultaneously.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

That feels nice

Once you're planning on leaving, leave. The feeling that maybe you should stay is being partly powered by how good it feels that you're wrapping up everything you did previously and planning not to do it in the future.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    You're leaving for a reason.

Unless they make that reason go away, and often they can't, then staying is just going to put you right back where you are at regardless of more money.

There's the whole thing about how often it falls apart to stay also.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Motherfuck

We just started replying "Thanks for your interest. We understand these audits are voluntary - as we are in the middle of a project right now, we are going to decline at this time. Regards, _____"
    Huh

I thought it was "voluntary"

Sent an email declining.

Motherfuck

Huh

Sent an email declining.

let me know how it goes!

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    A few of our clients got SAM reviews last year and after they asked me to provide them with the volume license keys and other things Microsoft already has access to I just ignored them. One of my clients has volume licensing but doesn't know their login info and doesn't respond when asked for anything so I'm not wasting my time trying to chase down something Microsoft should have already.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    so this $thing that I was testing about a month ago and had working perfectly. a Month later, I go to do $thing, not having changed a goddanmed thing with $thing, and it's broken.

I hate everything.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited May 2019
    Welp. All done with that job.

I guess I have a desk waiting for me next Monday at my new position.

Excited to get to work on systems that are realitivly modern.

Seidkona on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Welp. All done with that job.

I guess I have a desk waiting for me next Monday at my new position.

Excited to get to work on systems that are realitivly modern.
    Until then, enjoy the benefits of being unemployed without any of the negatives, knowing you have a new job in 5 days. It's like a mini-vacation!

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.

That feels nice

Once you're planning on leaving, leave. The feeling that maybe you should stay is being partly powered by how good it feels that you're wrapping up everything you did previously and planning not to do it in the future.

Yeah, the call from the CEO was basically an attempt at emotional manipulation and I'm not going to fall for it.

edited May 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »
    so this $thing that I was testing about a month ago and had working perfectly. a Month later, I go to do $thing, not having changed a goddanmed thing with $thing, and it's broken.

I hate everything.

update: it's now working. I've done nothing extra to make it work.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Motherfuck

Huh

Sent an email declining.

let me know how it goes!
    Worked out okay I think!

Got a form letter back, and they said they wouldn't contact us again

Thanks for saving me a whole lot of work!

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

I hate everything.

update: it's now working. I've done nothing extra to make it work.

Another well earned paycheck

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    This is quite nice.

No one has asked me to fix a damn thing and it's almost 11 on a Thursday.

Just me, some coffee, and a beautiful morning on my porch.

This is quite nice.

We all know that based on how much they needed you, there is a non-zero chance they are going to still call you for help.

And I sincerely hope and pray that a shit-eating grin crosses your face when you tell them you're busy.

Thawmus wrote: »
    This is quite nice.

We all know that based on how much they needed you, there is a non-zero chance they are going to still call you for help.

And I sincerely hope and pray that a shit-eating grin crosses your face when you tell them your hourly rate.

This is quite nice.

And I sincerely hope and pray that a shit-eating grin crosses your face when you tell them your hourly rate.

My hourly rate I quote people outside of work is $200/hr, 2hr minimum.

I feel Entaru should double that.

SQL backup wasn't working. was throwing authentication issues, even though nothing had changed.

created new SQL maintenance plan with the exact same settings, and it works.

I hate computers.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    This is quite nice.

My hourly rate I quote people outside of work is $200/hr, 2hr minimum.

I feel Entaru should double that.

$300 is a good number, 1.5-2x that in emergencies or overnight situations, 3x on holidays.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This conversation made me realize that my previous workplace never called to ask for help after I left, which is surprising.

But then I realized that I set all my contact info at my previous workplace to the google voice number from my corporate gsuite account.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    So the answer is to set up a personal ticketing system, give the info to previous employers, then ignore all tickets that come in ...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    I left my last job a year ago, and they contacted me for help last week.

Apparently I was the only administrator on their linked in page, and they wanted access to it. :P

I still get their office 365 invoices / subscription changes to my personal email.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Apparently I was the only administrator on their linked in page, and they wanted access to it. :P

I still get their office 365 invoices / subscription changes to my personal email.

I hope you weren't embarrassed to admit the password was "fuckthisplace".

It's incredibly dumb how linked in does company pages. The administration of them are tied to your personal linked in page. So, I logged in with my account to give admin permissions to someone else.

I suggested they set up a dummy account to manage it when I was there, but they didn't want to do that for whatever reason.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

thirteen characters and just three low-vocab english words? I'd be embarrassed!

I'd tell them the password was "fuckeverybodyatthisplaceandtheequinestheyroadinon"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

thirteen characters and just three low-vocab english words? I'd be embarrassed!

I'd tell them the password was "fuckeverybodyatthisplaceandtheequinestheyroadinon"

You should have made the password "TWO WORDS ALL LOWERCASE".

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Salesforce fall down go boom.
    Entire office has resorted to prostrating themselves around the Coffee and Soda coolers
    We are running low on Diet Coke.
    I am out of time...

The scratching has stopped now...

I do not understand how, in the year of our Lord 2019, there are still white collar workers who don't know how to set their own default Windows printer.

I do not understand how, in the year of our Lord 2019, there are still white collar workers who don't know how to set their own default Windows printer.

I don't understand how they don't know how to do it on Linux, either. It's the same fucking thing. Go to printers. Click "Make default" by the one you like the most. Done.

Bounced a server in the middle of the day hoping nobody would notice.

Got away with it.

:+1:

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    About to send out tickets to ~100 teams telling them to fix some shit with their services.

Dev VM which hosts my ticket making script is all fucked, crap. Start going though the rebuild process.

A hour or so later, rebuild just finishing: my boss comes up "oh hey even though I already approved the ticket here's like 10 changes you should make!".

That dude sure is lucky I horked up my machine.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Ain't nothin' like a full stack reboot of a platform at 3:30 on a Friday. 11 of the 17 nodes are easy peasy. The 6 app nodes are the bitch, starting each one at a time, which takes 12-20 minutes per node. After starting the service, you have to tail 3 of the logs and wait for a very specific message to show up before you can move on to the next one. If you don't, the DB connection will crash and bring the whole platform down, at which point you have to start the whole process over to bring the system back online again.

So much for leaving early. At least I have free beers waiting for me at the bar. The bartender got a new laptop and wants help setting it up.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Work: "We planned this maintenance window for after Memorial Day for a while. We're moving it up a week so it now starts Tuesday. We made this decision at 245pm on a Friday in May with good weather. "

Me: *internal screaming*

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

I had to train ~60 new clerks this year. This was one of the steps.

Naturally, one clerk midway through had their computer mysteriously lose their default printer that then wasn't discoverable even though it was right there I mean COME ON

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
This discussion has been closed.