As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    KhepraKhepra Registered User regular
    Thanks Thawmus, appreciate the input! I reckon I'll just check both options out, see if I can't divine which one will cause me less headache down the road when I have to explain to the students how to use the system :] Much obliged.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I love getting a ticket escalated to me that is a complete clusterfuck of too many cooks going off on wild goose chases and other mixed metaphors

"We were getting a vaguely defined error in this application so we tried to install an older version of the application but that didn't work so we found another server that had the old application installed and cloned that and changed the IP and now nothing works, can you please help? oh by the way this needs to be fixed in two hours"

heh. sucks to be you, I guess.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My users are in general, too stupid to work from home. At least computer stupid.

I would MUCH rather fix a problem in person in 2 minutes vs talking over the phone with someone who in 2020 can't understand the correct formula for their work email (first.last@companyname.com).

And then management expects us to somehow be able to control what users at home print....on their home printers and personal computers - without just preventing printing in Horizon. Because these people you hired and pay, can't be trusted to shred stuff at home instead of the office I guess.

Bigity on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Bigity wrote: »
    My users are in general, too stupid to work from home. At least computer stupid.

it's not just your users

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Yep, user had an error. I fixed it at 10.00, but it was Exchange so I always cover myself allowing for replication time and said "should no longer happen starting tomorrow." 10 minutes later, I receive a reply "It's not fixed, this morning I still had the issue at 9.00") I haven't bothered to reply, probably just close the ticket tomorrow.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I would MUCH rather fix a problem in person in 2 minutes vs talking over the phone with someone who in 2020 can't understand the correct formula for their work email (first.last@companyname.com).

And then management expects us to somehow be able to control what users at home print....on their home printers and personal computers - without just preventing printing in Horizon. Because these people you hired and pay, can't be trusted to shred stuff at home instead of the office I guess.

One of the first things I did was tell folks printing wasn't going to be a thing anymore. I wasn't going to set up printers, I wasn't going to support them, fuck off with printers.

"Well what do we do when we need to do X?" said they.

"We investigate why you're printing to do X and we stop printing to do X," said I.

And so we did.

And it was good.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    cover letters are literally the worst. I usually don't bother applying to any company that outright requires them because I find them super dated and not really all that useful. But I know a guy who works at this one place and the fit is really good for my skillset so I bit the bullet. It just feels so dumb typing a one pager about how good I am at my job and how I'd be a good fit at a random place when it's almost always just cookie cutter crap.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

One of the first things I did was tell folks printing wasn't going to be a thing anymore. I wasn't going to set up printers, I wasn't going to support them, fuck off with printers.

"Well what do we do when we need to do X?" said they.

"We investigate why you're printing to do X and we stop printing to do X," said I.

And so we did.

And it was good.
    I had multiple people ask me if/how they could set up printing at home and I was like “the policy states that you cannot plug in a non-company device to your computer.”

“But I have this printer at home that I could just use.”

“The policy states that you cannot plug in a non-company device to your computer.”

“So you’re not going to help me with this?”

“The policy states that you cannot plug in a non-company device to your computer.”

(I know a few people just took their departmental printers home but guess what? Maybe people didn’t need to print most things!!)

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    cover letters are literally the worst. I usually don't bother applying to any company that outright requires them because I find them super dated and not really all that useful. But I know a guy who works at this one place and the fit is really good for my skillset so I bit the bullet. It just feels so dumb typing a one pager about how good I am at my job and how I'd be a good fit at a random place when it's almost always just cookie cutter crap.

I haven't done one in awhile but I would probably only consider it if there was something really, really clutch about the job. "I see you're interested in X custom system. I basically invented that shit, lemme tell you about it."

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Our solution to the printing at home problem was that certain individuals, if their job description requires it, were allowed to print to their closest company office and one of the few remaining onsite workers would retrieve their print job and mail it to wherever it needed to go.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

I haven't done one in awhile but I would probably only consider it if there was something really, really clutch about the job. "I see you're interested in X custom system. I basically invented that shit, lemme tell you about it."

Yeah, for me it was "oh hey the last job I worked was in a very similar industry so I have a pretty good idea how your type of organization operates without having to be taught"

we'll see. I've sent in a whole bunch of resumes and the only call I've gotten was from a place that wanted to pay me 25% less than my last job.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    For the record, I'm hiring right now and have not read a single cover letter. Bigger challenge I see is good resumes that aren't a total dumpster fire of non-working links, bad grammar and vague statements. If I'm hiring you for an experienced corporate position, at least spellcheck your shit.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I think a good cover letter can set you apart from other applicants. It shows that you are willing to put forth the extra effort to tell someone why you're good for the job before an interview even starts.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I think a good cover letter can set you apart from other applicants. It shows that you are willing to put forth the extra effort to tell someone why you're good for the job before an interview even starts.

I don't even get cover letters from my recruiter, just resumes. Unsure if any had them, just warning all for what it's like on the hiring side.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    gosh I don't think I've touched my resume in a decade

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    last time I thought about updating I was venturing into 2 pages so I just opted not to

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Government resume. I tailored my resume to the job description. The mantra is "longer is better". The resume I submitted last week was 9 pages long.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think cover letters might make sense for much smaller orgs you might apply to, where they aren't using recruiters?

If they're using recruiters, the recruiter screen is basically the cover letter replacement.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    The manager who really really really wants O365 is still pushing the idea that "O365 makes backups easier"

How?

"They're easier to manage in O365"

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The manager who really really really wants O365 is still pushing the idea that "O365 makes backups easier"

How?

They’re so easy they don’t even exist!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »

How?

Sounds pretty easy to me!

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Feldorn wrote: »

How?

it chaps me a little

me, for years, to my boss and to our legal team: "Hey, what's our retention policy? I need to know so I can base our backup system around it"
    them: "we don't have one yet but we're working on it"
    me: "okay, but we only have enough offsite storage for 90 days of backups assuming we back up everything"
    them: "that's fine, just keep 90 days until we figure it out"

^ that, over and over again, for over four years

one year ago, HR, to me: "hey, how long do we keep email backups?"
    me: "90 days."
    HR: "that's not long enough!"
    me: "somebody needs to tell me what our goal is, and then we can build around that. I've been asking for a retention policy for four years"
    HR: "really? that's unacceptable! we'll work on it right away!"

me, three months ago, to HR: "hey, I'm evaluating some new backup systems, but I would love to get a retention policy first so I know what to budget"
    HR: "oh yeah, we decided on seven years. we figured that out months ago! didn't anybody tell you?"

this manager: "one of the reasons we want to move to O365 is because we've been having problems with backups with on-prem Exchange. apparently we've only been able to keep 90 days of email backups. we want O365 so backups are easier"

• Options
    wait didn't this same set of posts happen like a month ago

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

yes, but we might have lost them due to retention policy changes. didn't HR tell you?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited July 2020

maybe, probably

he's been at it for a little while

and I keep trying to politely and professionally correct him but he keeps going back to his bullshit

Feral on

• Options
    when we migrated to O365d we wanted to implement a proper set of retention policies instead of the 10 years that we currently keep everything...

but IT wasn't going to be the one to decide that, we would implement what legal told us was appropriate based on the record type.

they decided to continue to save everything for 10 years rather than figure out what is appropriate and require staff to properly categorize their emails. :rotate:

i would like to implement a proper backup that could restore a mailbox state. every 2-3 months i get a ticket from someone that a folder or date range has been nuked from their mailbox, often to be found in the Recoverable Items, but that doesn't maintain a folder structure. i can never find any audit log entries about these either, my intuition says it's a sync issue with Outlook...

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

I just thought the thread automation bot was still running posting for all of us.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I ask out of ignorance and frustration: WTF is a "generic bounce message" and why do I smell bullshit every time someone says it?

Thawmus on
  • Options
    blacklisted IP I think encounters stuff like that in SMTP

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Probably a message with a only a bounce code in it, I guess? Never heard the term generic bounce message, but if you don't have any experience with mail, you probably are unable to figure out that the difference between say... 5.2.2 or 5.5.3 and don't think the error code actually matters.

Short version: Your sense of smell is probably correct.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    blacklisted IP I think encounters stuff like that in SMTP

At worst I would get "Couldn't establish an SMTP connection" and that would still point me in the right direction.

I would understand, "We don't have bounces turned on with our auto-mailer," because I run into that a lot and it kinda makes sense to not have an actual mailbox for such services, but to say you don't use bounces because they would just be "generic bounce messages" is a crock of shit. Okay but do you have logs? No logs? Okay cool it totally makes sense for you to sit on this high horse and tell me my shit's broke with zero evidence on your part nor any way of compiling evidence either.

• Options
    SurveyMonkey?

"Yes, I don't care if you don't use bounces, but can you prove that the email was even sent? No? It's not in my logs, so my best guess is no, no it was not."

• Options
    I ask out of ignorance and frustration: WTF is a "generic bounce message" and why do I smell bullshit every time someone says it?

"Generic bounce message" (noun) - An NDR that the end user is too lazy to forward to you.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular

"Generic bounce message" (noun) - An NDR that the end user is too lazy to forward to you.

Right.

"So you're saying you have the only piece of evidence, and you're refusing to send it to me?"

"Guess we're done here."

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Hopefully simple home network question here:

My fiber model has a built in router. Can't have one without the other. But it's wireless is pretty weak so I bought an R9000 Nighthawk. So the only thing connected to the modem+router is the R9000 and all other devices in the house connect to that.

Everything is working great but one annoyance has come up: port forwarding. When I want to forward a port to a device in the house right now I have to add that forwarding to both the modem+router and the R9000. Is there some setting that would automate this or generally forward all ports to the R9000?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DMZ to the nighthawk would probably accomplish that, but you won't be able to port forward to anything in front of the new router.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It varies based on your gateway, yeah.

The magic Google search term is usually "<model> + true pass-through mode" and you'll get a thread on broadband-reports about your gateway that will have instructions to get it as close as possible.

• Options
    Just put the R9000 in AP mode. A few routers don't have this option, the R9000 does.

That way it's literally just an access point, you only have to make port changes on your modem/router. DHCP is still handled by your modem/router, port forwards, DMZ settings, everything. No managing stuff on two different devices aside from the wireless settings on the R9000.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    WELL THIS IS NEW AND SHOCKING INFORMATION:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/upshot/coronavirus-response-fax-machines.html

FAX IS APPARENTLY TERRIBLE?!

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    WELL THIS IS NEW AND SHOCKING INFORMATION:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/13/upshot/coronavirus-response-fax-machines.html

FAX IS APPARENTLY TERRIBLE?!

There are other alternatives but none are as ubiquitous as the fax machine.

There's also "Direct" (formally direct messaging) that is basically email with certificates because TLS/SSL requirement on email servers was too onerous they had to design a whole new system... yet almost no one has it or uses it other than hospitals because it's $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Then you've got things like cisco and HIPAA email systems that are basically hosted pages with SSL that mimic email for $$$$$$$ instead of Direct's price tag.

All this because people can't figure out TLS for email servers and think HIPAA is going to sue them into oblivion if they send PHI over email.

This discussion has been closed.