As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"The Suffering : Ties That Bind" - worth a play?

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So I recently found The Suffering : Ties that bind for £2.50, and I never played the first one. I vaguely seem to remember one of the two games being said to be better than the other, but can't remember which it was. I have also not played the 1st game at all, will it matter if I jump straight into the second.

Thanks a bunch.

LewieP on

• Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    For a couple of... quid? I think that's what you call it over there in Europeland. Yeah, that's a good buy, if I recall correctly.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The first one is better but for £2.50 Ties that Bind is pretty alright.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    The first one is better but for £2.50 Ties that Bind is pretty alright.

I guess it's more of a "is it worth my time" question.

I have a bit of a backlog, is it simply 'entertaining' or is it something that if I leave it unplayed I am missing out on a great game.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    You're not missing out on much, if that's the case. See if you can find the first, that one's worth the time.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I haven't played the sequel, but if you can find the first one I definitely recommend that one. Lots of atmosphere, and the action is lots of fun.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I really enjoyed The Suffering, it was a great blend of fast-paced and brutal action with Silent Hill psychological horror, and it had some class acting and writing for much of the cast. I actually liked listening to Dr. Killjoy ramble on about Torque's mental problems and his own brand of pseudoscience, simply because the actor managed to sell it. The good-evil paths actually having an effect on an ending was a really nice touch, and overall it's a solid game.

Ties That Bind... well, the action was still fun, the voice acting was still great for the most part, the horror was still there, but something about it was just off. A few things, actually. I was sick to death of Blackmore babbling on about "the game" (seriously, every other sentence was some cliche gangster nonsense about "the game") after barely an hour, and Torque's wife seemed way too bitchy and nagging this time around. The horror elements, specifically the malefactors, seemed more random and less interesting, and the 'captain' variants of common monsters were just irritating. And then, regarding the ending:
    Seriously, what the hell. I can buy physical manifestations of mankind's unceasing brutality and torment, but Torque is Blackmore? Come the fuck on.

Still, there were some neat bits. Fighting the human enemies was fun for a while, and some of the friendlies seemed more interesting this time around, like
    Consuela, Ernesto's wife, who was captured by the Foundation. Seeing her grab a tommy gun was a fun little nod to the first game. Meeting Ranse Truman - the guy who writes those loading screen notes - near the end was pretty cool, too.

In short, it's skippable, but decent in its own right. Supposedly the things some characters say depends on whether or not you have save data from the previous game, which indicates what ending you got, though I jumped from PS2 to PC with the sequel so I can't say for sure.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I, too, picked up Ties that Bind for $5 on clearance at Gamestop like 8 months ago but havent bothered to play it.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ties That Bind is certainly worth it for this price. It isn't as claustrophic or creepy as the original is, but it's short and sweet.

The original is very much worth getting. It came out in that Deadly Alliance/Midway Arcade Treasures 1/Defender/etc. period where Midway was packing tons of extra content onto their games. They go to great lengths to sell the concept of the original suffering with a documentary about an actual prison that's reputed to be haunted, concept art, in character journal entries, the works. It's successful.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's pretty decent. It's a lot more action heavy than the first one and replaces the prison setting with an urban one.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 'next-gen' sequel, though I'm not sure what it would cover, really.

Also, the pimp dude was awesome.

Magus` on
  • Options
    bloodriotbloodriot Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    It was awesome on the pc less glitches, or none I think, loved and I never played 1 it wouldn't run on my PC for some reason? :(

bloodriot on
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Magus` wrote: »
    It's pretty decent. It's a lot more action heavy than the first one and replaces the prison setting with an urban one.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 'next-gen' sequel, though I'm not sure what it would cover, really.

They need to go in the direction all horror franchises go when they run out of ideas: Space. Pinhead, Jason, Warwick Davis, Torque will decompressing shuttle bays, it's just a matter of time.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »

They need to go in the direction all horror franchises go when they run out of ideas: Space. Pinhead, Jason, Warwick Davis, Torque will decompressing shuttle bays, it's just a matter of time.

Dino Crisis...

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png