As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think the thing I would do actually is change the wording - change drawback to shortcut.

That way the way you have the die rolls makes sense still, and the idea of continually taking shortcuts to get to the fun part faster fits in well with the idea of wizard vs. warlock.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Oh I was just using that for shorthand here. In my little document it's literally "you've been up to late, browsing the restricted section, wracked by nightmares you draw a dark rune in your spellbook..."

Three dark runes and you summon a demon, perhaps entering a pact. From there you enter a different stage of play that's less structured. Perhaps you overthrow your demon master? That's up to the player.

The alternative is the seven runes dark or regular. Where your magical spells and studies somehow reshape the world. Again. Up to player interpretation.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    So, Ghouls.

Ghouls are gross.

nevermind, forget ghouls. Ogres.

Ogres are an interesting foe. Entirely too hungry, stronger than a horse, able to punch through a human being with general ease.

What would you want to use against an ogre.

Of course polearms and crossbows and such but what would you, internet friend, knowing there is an ogre near by and you must arm yourself or perish, use?

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    So, Ghouls.

Ghouls are gross.

Ogres are an interesting foe. Entirely too hungry, stronger than a horse, able to punch through a human being with general ease.

Of course polearms and crossbows and such but what would you, internet friend, knowing there is an ogre near by and you must arm yourself or perish, use?

Just what's immediately nearby and to hand?

I've got a couple of sneakers under my desk that are probably alright to run in and I'm pretty sure I'm faster and fitter than my manager.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    So, Ghouls.

Ghouls are gross.

I mean probably a bunch of guns, I live in the southeastern USA.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, Ghouls.

Ghouls are gross.

A car? That's about all I got.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    So, Ghouls.

Ghouls are gross.

I mean probably a bunch of guns, I live in the southeastern USA.

yeah but do you have guns? your neighbours would likely want to keep their guns to avoid having to fight the ogre.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Traditionally in D&D, mid range undead are fucking terrifying because ability damage is miserable to deal with

I don't care what level you are, a 2e Wight is scary

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3.5e skeletal archers taught an entire generation the meaning of fear.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Update on the campaign I'm playing in:

- I got the Dust Devil spell; I've named the elemental spirit it summons Dustin
    - I leapt through a window dramatically to stab a dire wolf as I landed, then took forever trying to climb back inside (also I had to pay for the window)
    - Me and another character followed a "suspicious" guy who was being a dick to us earlier to his apartment where we found him trying to eat oatmeal; my partner distracted him while I used Mage Hand to grab his spoon, and when he said to my partner "I'm just trying to eat my oatmeal" I yelled "GOOD LUCK WITHOUT A SPOON" before running away

Hexmage-PA on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'm trying to think of more inspiration for the Seers of the Throne besides the obvious illuminati influences. I have the Reign of the Exarchs book, but not sure how compatible the mythology is with the 2nd edition of Mage the Awakening. I want to get the Seers involved, but trying to think of good ways to do so.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm trying to think of more inspiration for the Seers of the Throne besides the obvious illuminati influences. I have the Reign of the Exarchs book, but not sure how compatible the mythology is with the 2nd edition of Mage the Awakening. I want to get the Seers involved, but trying to think of good ways to do so.

They're bootlickers. They serve the 'gods' because they're convinced they'll get a piece of the pie if they help make sure no one else can get any amount of power enough to threaten the status quo

Alternatively, you could run them with the attitude of 'better to serve in heaven than rule on Earth' with a sort of Agents-from-the-Matrix like disdain for this 'so-called real world'

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    For tonight's session, I decided to bake

One of the easier recipes I have is for dwarf cake, taken from the Discworld cookbook

I then rewrote the plot slightly so that my players will be meeting a Dwarf eating dwarf cake

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular

In one of DaveB's AP threads he talks about them not as the jailers, but as the snitches. They can be useful as an all-powerful shadowy organisation, but the most compelling depictions I've seen are flawed people trying to survive. They've seen the beings sitting on the throne and they are terrified.

The other factor is that they are agents of the status quo. Think about how the world is fucked up and who would want it that way. Are they doing it to keep humanity quiescent, or to keep temporal power for themselves? Where does one end and the other begin?

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Last thread I shared a link for Space Madness, the game based on the prompts "atompunk", "wand", "mythos" where you play a Space Ranger in a silver-age sci-fi inspired setting with cold war and lovecraftian mythos elements.

There's been an updated layout made available in draft format:

Link

It has a nicer layout and includes some public domain artwork. The designer has said that whole thing is still a draft and needs more thorough review/playtesting, but there's still lots of good flavour stuff to steal if any of the content overlaps at all with your interests.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm doing a Session 0 for my new Starfinder campaign;
    Starfinder
    ~✭Akiton Nights✭~

it's gonna be science fantasy space noir, set on a planet of ruined factories and abandoned cities and tangled stretches of highway, absolutely brimming with scavengers and bandits and raiders and all sorts of nasty sapients. The wildlife isn't great either. Food is scarce among the ruined permacrete and plasteel and the animals that thrive here will eat fucking anything.

I'm excited. I gotta prepare some stuff though, I was gonna have them run a little dungeon after they made their characters. Give them a chance to breathe and shoot some stuff, figure out their dynamic.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That sounds very neat, although it sounds more post-apoc than noir to me (not that labels matter at all I'm just a pedantic fuck).

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    That sounds very neat, although it sounds more post-apoc than noir to me (not that labels matter at all I'm just a pedantic fuck).

around the factories that are still running are actual cities, and they're going to be starting a "private consulting" practice. But outside the cities it is very post-apocalyptic

double post-apocalyptic, actually, because this takes place in the same universe where they failed to save the day at the end of my last Starfinder campaign, and an apocalypse happened.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Fiiiiiine I’ll buy lancer jesus :P

(it sounds really good)

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

I think there are a few good ways you can play Seers.

- True believers. They go to sleep and dream of a vast iron pyramid and a booming voice chanting to them in a language that never existed. They'll go anywhere and do anything to climb the pyramid, up to and including sacrificing themselves and everything they care about, because they see (or think they see) the bigger picture and believe it's all worth it.

- The self-interested, who are in it for what they can get from it. Some of them are probably Sith-y A-type climbers who enjoy exerting power for its own sake and are always looking to stab the guy above them and paranoid about the guy below them, but I bet just as many are kind of like...the organization is their day job, they murder people and burn forbidden texts when they have to, but really it's just how they buy themselves breathing room to indulge their greed, or their personal vices, or their curiosity or whatever. From the day trader for the Ministry of Mammon who really just wants a big house full of Ferraris and blow to like an amoral researcher who does her superiors' bidding mainly to keep from being hassled while she pursues what she considers actually important.

- People who have been cowed into submission and don't really see an alternative, or might not even be really aware there is an alternative? A lot of Seers are just people who had the bad luck to Awaken when there weren't any Pentacle mages around to give them the straight(er) dope.

Rather than arguing for any one of these as the correct take, I think the most interesting stories about Seers are the ones that use all of them, and the kinds of stories that can emerge from all those different motivations clashing under the same umbrella. The fanatic who sacrificed his own Awakened lover because the pyramid commanded it probably has opinions about cokehead day trader guy, and then off to the side you have a basically normal person who is perpetually covered in flop sweat and tugging their collar because they're surrounded by sociopaths and oh my god did you see what he did to Jimmy just because he dropped the ritual knife oh god

rRwz9.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    GOD I LOVE TALKING ABOUT MAGE

rRwz9.gif
  • ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Fiiiiiine I’ll buy lancer jesus :P

(it sounds really good)
    One of us...

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Reading through the Lancer rules and it's really not complex in the way that say, Shadowrun is. The stats/skills are either broad (mech stats) or narrow-but-narrative (pilot stats), it's impossible to build a "bad" character, and even if you build in a way you don't end up enjoying there's an easy respec rule.

What is has is just an absolute boatload of options. I think 4E is a good comparison because looking through all the mech chassis replicates the feel of looking through pages and pages of class abilities, but rather than ending up with a huge pile of abilities on your character sheet you're going to end up with a wide variety of options from which you'll create focused builds.

I'm still never gonna get to run it because most of my players will get to the mech section and their eyes will glaze over, but still.

I had a group that really, really wanted me to run Battletech for them and run a mix of the rpg and the tabletop rules and lancer just seems.... way fucking easier

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

- True believers. They go to sleep and dream of a vast iron pyramid and a booming voice chanting to them in a language that never existed. They'll go anywhere and do anything to climb the pyramid, up to and including sacrificing themselves and everything they care about, because they see (or think they see) the bigger picture and believe it's all worth it.

- The self-interested, who are in it for what they can get from it. Some of them are probably Sith-y A-type climbers who enjoy exerting power for its own sake and are always looking to stab the guy above them and paranoid about the guy below them, but I bet just as many are kind of like...the organization is their day job, they murder people and burn forbidden texts when they have to, but really it's just how they buy themselves breathing room to indulge their greed, or their personal vices, or their curiosity or whatever. From the day trader for the Ministry of Mammon who really just wants a big house full of Ferraris and blow to like an amoral researcher who does her superiors' bidding mainly to keep from being hassled while she pursues what she considers actually important.

- People who have been cowed into submission and don't really see an alternative, or might not even be really aware there is an alternative? A lot of Seers are just people who had the bad luck to Awaken when there weren't any Pentacle mages around to give them the straight(er) dope.

Rather than arguing for any one of these as the correct take, I think the most interesting stories about Seers are the ones that use all of them, and the kinds of stories that can emerge from all those different motivations clashing under the same umbrella. The fanatic who sacrificed his own Awakened lover because the pyramid commanded it probably has opinions about cokehead day trader guy, and then off to the side you have a basically normal person who is perpetually covered in flop sweat and tugging their collar because they're surrounded by sociopaths and oh my god did you see what he did to Jimmy just because he dropped the ritual knife oh god

So like Pentex and/or the Syndicate, except, with nuance and actually interesting.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I had a group that really, really wanted me to run Battletech for them and run a mix of the rpg and the tabletop rules and lancer just seems.... way fucking easier

my ever present thought has always been "what if I just reskinned everything to be about Battle Armor pilots. Battle Armor got fucking rad."

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682

my ever present thought has always been "what if I just reskinned everything to be about Battle Armor pilots. Battle Armor got fucking rad."

Battle Armor is indeed the best and I am happy that someone else knows this truth.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

They're bootlickers. They serve the 'gods' because they're convinced they'll get a piece of the pie if they help make sure no one else can get any amount of power enough to threaten the status quo

Alternatively, you could run them with the attitude of 'better to serve in heaven than rule on Earth' with a sort of Agents-from-the-Matrix like disdain for this 'so-called real world'
    Grog wrote: »

In one of DaveB's AP threads he talks about them not as the jailers, but as the snitches. They can be useful as an all-powerful shadowy organisation, but the most compelling depictions I've seen are flawed people trying to survive. They've seen the beings sitting on the throne and they are terrified.

The other factor is that they are agents of the status quo. Think about how the world is fucked up and who would want it that way. Are they doing it to keep humanity quiescent, or to keep temporal power for themselves? Where does one end and the other begin?

Thank you very much, all three of you! This is very useful information. In terms of antagonists and npcs, and I had some ideas of the last two Jacobkosh had mentioned, but had not considered true believers. A lot to chew on.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My every two weeks game the guy running it wanted to go back to Mechwarrior....we just...hes obsessed with it and its hard to play it because we wind up being backseat to the lore characters.

So we convinced him to run the trial of the Expanse RPG coming out near the end of May. If we like the trial, were doing a campaign

• ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    We used Lancer specifically because we knew how bad the BattleTech rules were. Lancer works on a hex grid map just fine, too, so it's not like there's a lot of fiddling with materials.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Grog wrote: »

Thank you very much, all three of you! This is very useful information. In terms of antagonists and npcs, and I had some ideas of the last two Jacobkosh had mentioned, but had not considered true believers. A lot to chew on.

One thing I will also say is that I always played it like once you're a Seer? The Exarchs know you and they whisper to you, leave hidden messages that put your hairs on end. Maybe you embrace it, maybe you ignore it, maybe it curdles your blood, but once you're in you're in.

Fuuuuuck Mage the Awakening 2nd ed is so fucking goooood

Solar wrote: »

it is 100% one of my favorite games ever made with the best spellcasting system ever and unf

rRwz9.gif
    edited April 2019
    Yeah I mean if you took the setting and the system was janky? I'd like it, and vice versa

But they're both just amazingly good, it's an awesomely good spellcasting system and the setting is fucking unreal how good it is. And the deeper you go? The more rich and deep it becomes.

Solar on
    Something else I should note about the Seers, which their book makes clear but is sometimes missed, is that once you're past a certain point as a Seer you have 100% done bad shit. You might not feel great about it or whatever, maybe it gives you the screaming willies at night, but past a certain point there are no innocent dupes.

That's something that I really appreciate about DaveB, he wanted to nip that Technocracy "maybe the bad guys are the secret good guys" shit in the bud. There is nothing secretly good-guy about patriarchy, capitalist exploitation, panopticon surveillance, entropy, etc.

rRwz9.gif
    Yeah the Seers are absolutely total bastards who can sleep at night to a greater or lesser extent

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm torn as to what I want to run next for my little group.

Overlight

Numenera

5E

Genesys homebrew.

Decisions! They are hard.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

it is 100% one of my favorite games ever made with the best spellcasting system ever and unf

Have you ever played Mage with a physics major? It is an exciting new setting with fun campaigns that tends to end in massive plasma explosions.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I really want to read Mage 2e but most of my reading time is spent on games I have to learn for work