As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    What would happen if a bunch of Mages (probably a Free Council and Silver Ladder coalition) decided to end world hunger? Food production could be amped up with ley-lines and some basic Life spells, transportation covered by Space. Sure, the Seers might take issue, but if there were multiple groups across the world coordinating would they be able to stop them?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Grog wrote: »
    What would happen if a bunch of Mages (probably a Free Council and Silver Ladder coalition) decided to end world hunger? Food production could be amped up with ley-lines and some basic Life spells, transportation covered by Space. Sure, the Seers might take issue, but if there were multiple groups across the world coordinating would they be able to stop them?

We already have enough food to feed everyone, the reason we don't solve world hunger is that the people in charge of doing that don't want to. The same would apply here, I think.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I really want to read Mage 2e but most of my reading time is spent on games I have to learn for work

I can't decide if that sentence is awesome or horrible.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So a Kickstarter campaign for the "Humblewood" setting (D&D 5e) just finished. With an original goal of $20k, they raised just over $1 million.

The World
    In the world of Everden, nestled between the mighty Crest mountain range and the vast marshes of the Mokk Fields, lies a mystical forest known as Humblewood that hums with the Great Rhythm of nature. It has been ruled for generations by the birdfolk who inhabit the Great Tree-City of Alderheart. Humblewood has endured for centuries thanks to the industry and compassion of its people...

...but now the fires have come, and the Woods have been thrown into chaos. Flames ravage the land and destroy the homes of the humblefolk, stoking a growing resentment against the birdfolk, whose cities have managed to avoid the worst of the fires so far. Hatred burns in the hearts of those who have lost lives they cherished, and these once peaceful peoples now take up the sword and turn to banditry. The disaffected turn their gaze on Alderheart, and threaten to reduce an age of peace to ashes...

...yet there is still hope. Even in these dark times, brave heroes can be found within the Wood. Only they can quell the raging flames that have been unleashed upon the land, and restore balance to the realm. Will you answer the call?

So that's some fluff. Why am I sharing this with y'all? Because you need to see the artwork for some of the playable races.
    et61g4ve0dy1.jpg
    44f9qfnkvwpk.jpg
    dwqxjs9ppe6r.png

WACriminal on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I will die for that Strig. Or any Strig.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Oh my, somebody's awfully fond of deer, aren't they?

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Alright, I kinda need to play a Corvum wizard.

I had a Pathfinder wizard with a raven familiar. The raven could speak, her first language was Infernal or Draconic or Aklo or something along those lines, though the DM houseruled that she could learn more languages with each level. Her name was Quothe.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I will die for that Strig. Or any Strig.

I'm definitely going to adapt as much of this stuff as I can into a region of my campaign's world. Hedgehogfolk are a thing I need in my life, and the ongoing political conflict between the birdfolk and the humblefolk seems like a fantastic shitshow for the players to wander into.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Honestly, while the art is very nice and I'm glad they've found success in their Kickstarter, it feels like an odd fit for a D&D setting.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm gonna back Lancer, I think
    Apparently the full book is like 500 pages, but 80% of that is art and lore, which is totally my jam

• Options
    Grog wrote: »

We already have enough food to feed everyone, the reason we don't solve world hunger is that the people in charge of doing that don't want to. The same would apply here, I think.

Oh of course, I meant more what if a group of mages circumvented that. What would the repurcussions be if those in power suddenly didn't have a stranglehold over the starving, if they didn't even know how it had happened? Who would find out and try to stop them, from outside or inside the pentacle?

Mage seems like the kind of game where you can actually make a difference.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Apparently the full book is like 500 pages, but 80% of that is art and lore, which is totally my jam

It's not 80% lore, but it's only 20% (100 pages) of core rules. It's also about 150 pages of compendium, which has all the frames and equipment, plus 150ish pages of GM support stuff. Lore is another 150ish I think.

You can download the (unedited, basic layout) core rules from their itch.io page if you want to take a look.

admanb on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    GOD I LOVE TALKING ABOUT MAGE

Well then I have a question that I couldn’t find an answer for and want someone else’s feedback on.

Do Mages know when their spells are withstood? For some spells this might be obvious, like if you withstand being levitated you don’t gloat, but if it is detecting lies would you notice if it is withstood? And if a spell is fully withstood, do you even roll the dice?

Text of the rule from the book:
    Withstanding Magic
    Before dice are rolled for spellcasting, the caster must consider if her subject can Withstand her magic, as it could affect the dice pool and outcome of the casting. The subject of a spell can always choose not to Withstand a spell, but she must consciously choose to do so as a reflexive action.

Withstanding

If a spell must overcome some aspect of its subject to take full effect, it will list a Withstand rating in its description (usually a Resistance Attribute, but spells themselves Withstand dispella- tion using the Arcanum rating of the caster’s highest Arcanum used in the spell). Withstood spells reduce their Potency by levels equal to the Withstand rating. If this leaves the spell with no levels in Potency, it still counts as an active spell against spell control but has no further effect. Spells with multiple subjects apply their Potency against the Withstand rating of each indi- vidual subject, so may take effect against some of them. Each spell in a combined spell is Withstood separately. If a spell has multiple Withstand ratings (for example, a Withstood spell cast with the Sympathetic Range Attainment) it uses the highest rating, +1 for every additional rating.
    Characters may only spend Willpower to increase a Resistance Attribute used for Withstanding if they are aware of a spell being cast upon them.
    Aimed Spells

never die on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Wanna be a raccoon rogue

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    My friends were like "You got the physical book? Why?" and I was like "Because like 50% of it will be Tom Parkinson-Morgan's art."

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Wanna be a raccoon rogue

Jerboa monk to win the floor is lava grand finals and rolling kick someone into next week is probably my jam on toast.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ardent wrote: »
    My friends were like "You got the physical book? Why?" and I was like "Because like 50% of it will be Tom Parkinson-Morgan's art."

Plus a k i l l e r list of guest artists.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Wanna be a raccoon rogue

Needs more stoat

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Wanna be a raccoon rogue

Why limit yourself to just a rogue?

drunk-wizard-raccoon-prints.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Gotta steal stuff with my lil' paws

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    never die wrote: »
    GOD I LOVE TALKING ABOUT MAGE

Well then I have a question that I couldn’t find an answer for and want someone else’s feedback on.

Do Mages know when their spells are withstood? For some spells this might be obvious, like if you withstand being levitated you don’t gloat, but if it is detecting lies would you notice if it is withstood? And if a spell is fully withstood, do you even roll the dice?

Text of the rule from the book:
    Withstanding Magic
    Before dice are rolled for spellcasting, the caster must consider if her subject can Withstand her magic, as it could affect the dice pool and outcome of the casting. The subject of a spell can always choose not to Withstand a spell, but she must consciously choose to do so as a reflexive action.

Withstanding

If a spell must overcome some aspect of its subject to take full effect, it will list a Withstand rating in its description (usually a Resistance Attribute, but spells themselves Withstand dispella- tion using the Arcanum rating of the caster’s highest Arcanum used in the spell). Withstood spells reduce their Potency by levels equal to the Withstand rating. If this leaves the spell with no levels in Potency, it still counts as an active spell against spell control but has no further effect. Spells with multiple subjects apply their Potency against the Withstand rating of each indi- vidual subject, so may take effect against some of them. Each spell in a combined spell is Withstood separately. If a spell has multiple Withstand ratings (for example, a Withstood spell cast with the Sympathetic Range Attainment) it uses the highest rating, +1 for every additional rating.
    Characters may only spend Willpower to increase a Resistance Attribute used for Withstanding if they are aware of a spell being cast upon them.
    Aimed Spells

I don't know, actually! But I would say yes, if you turn your Prime sight on. I feel like a Withstood spell would have a different, weaker, or no Nimbus.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    So a Kickstarter campaign for the "Humblewood" setting (D&D 5e) just finished. With an original goal of $20k, they raised just over $1 million.

The World
    In the world of Everden, nestled between the mighty Crest mountain range and the vast marshes of the Mokk Fields, lies a mystical forest known as Humblewood that hums with the Great Rhythm of nature. It has been ruled for generations by the birdfolk who inhabit the Great Tree-City of Alderheart. Humblewood has endured for centuries thanks to the industry and compassion of its people...

...but now the fires have come, and the Woods have been thrown into chaos. Flames ravage the land and destroy the homes of the humblefolk, stoking a growing resentment against the birdfolk, whose cities have managed to avoid the worst of the fires so far. Hatred burns in the hearts of those who have lost lives they cherished, and these once peaceful peoples now take up the sword and turn to banditry. The disaffected turn their gaze on Alderheart, and threaten to reduce an age of peace to ashes...

...yet there is still hope. Even in these dark times, brave heroes can be found within the Wood. Only they can quell the raging flames that have been unleashed upon the land, and restore balance to the realm. Will you answer the call?

So that's some fluff. Why am I sharing this with y'all? Because you need to see the artwork for some of the playable races.
    et61g4ve0dy1.jpg
    44f9qfnkvwpk.jpg
    dwqxjs9ppe6r.png

Everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is awakening 2e like

can you play that game now

or is it a cool system that you would never ever want to run ever like mage has always been

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No it's totally playable

It gives you a much stronger concept of day to day mage shit that's way more focused as basically modern occult investigators

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2019
    Awakening 1e was a bunch of construction materials that someone left lying around and forgot to build a house with (but that also had an ok magic system so a lot of people just played Ascension with it).

Awakening 2e actually builds a cool setting, ditches some dumb shit or just excess lumber that doesn't fit any more (like coincidental magic), and adds new cool shit. It answers the question of what mages actually do with their time: they solve mysteries, but their insatiable curiosity is their Achilles heel, like a vampire's hunger, and it gets them into shit sometimes.

This is combined with my favorite flexible magic system ever. The gist of it is that there's a basic spell effect and then you apply all these sliders to it. Like, okay, say you want to do the most basic roleplaying thing possible and cast a healing spell. By default, you know how to cast a healing spell that takes an hour to cast, heals 0 damage, and requires you to touch the person.

Want to heal more damage? Well, now you're adding difficulty. Want to heal more than one person at a time, or do a big area spell? You're adding difficulty. Want to do it instantly, or in a minute, instead of an hour? You're adding difficulty. Want to do it at range? Difficulty. Want to do it across time, to heal someone in the future? Difficulty!

So...the difficulty stacks up fast. But then there's shit you can do to take it back down again. Are you using a magical tool that fits your character's chosen vibe (a wizard's staff, a cross, a magician's wand, a deck of cards, etc)? Now it's easier. Are you being assisted by a throng of helpful cultists? Now it's easier. Is there something spiritually or symbolically significant about the time and place you're casting the spell, like it's in a church or hospital or other place of healing, or you're a wiccan and there's a full moon out, or whatever? Easier!

Characters have a quality called Reach, which measures how far they can extend themselves, magically. It's a function of your Gnosis, your power stat (like Arete). If you have high Reach, you can do the thing and not risk Paradox. If your Reach is less than the level needed, you can still cast the spell...you just risk more and more Paradox the bigger the gap in your competence is.

Put this all together and what it means is that your character can do trivial, mundane magic easily without a lot of chart-looking-up and dice rolling. Want to detect magic at a crime scene? You just do. It's easy. You don't need to fuck around with the rulebook.

But if you want to do something big and cool, like a lightning spell that homes in on its target from across the city, that takes more work, and you are given strong mechanical incentive to roleplay it out - to describe how your character dresses and acts, what kind of magical tool they use and how it helps, what the sanctum you're casting the spell in is like, etc, and for the really big stuff you'll want to get assistance from friends and allies and so forth. So to make a spell a big deal mechanically you make it a big deal in the story. It feels like you're actually doing magic.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Is awakening 2e like

can you play that game now

or is it a cool system that you would never ever want to run ever like mage has always been
    2e is very playable. Usual pitfalls of White Wolf-style games, of course, like not setting good ground rules.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I played one of the old Mage games a while ago

we were doing really well up until our first like, big deal spell, which we fucked up so it unraveled one of us into living yarn

that character spent most of the short campaign with one character's witch grandma, being knitted back into a human shape so we could try and fix him

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Alright, I kinda need to play a Corvum wizard.

I had a Pathfinder wizard with a raven familiar. The raven could speak, her first language was Infernal or Draconic or Aklo or something along those lines, though the DM houseruled that she could learn more languages with each level. Her name was Quothe.

My brother played a Tengu Rogue in Pathfinder with high intelligence and charisma, and focused on bluffing and taunting.

He also max-ranked Linguistics. You see, Tengu, instead of learning ONE language per rank in Linguistics, learn TWO.

With the high base int he was speaking something like six languages. With the ranks in Linguistics he was speaking another twelve.

He always, always made sure to taunt people in their native tongue. And since he was a Tengu he also did his damndest to taunt them in their own voice.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    and nothin' beats a Tengu for infiltration

got them sneaks and their voice trick is tops for distraction and positioning

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Don't hire a tenga though

They are bumbling fools

They will probably just get beaten by the power rangers

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm going to MD with my wife in July and I've been asked to help her godson "learn how to play RPGs". I feel like the best thing is to learn by doing, right? So I've asked them to invite like two of his friends for an afternoon so we can do a one-shot.

But what should I play with them? I'm leaning towards running some sort of Fate Accelerated thing. I could conceivably show up with character sheets already done for DnD, but he's 12. I'm not sure about throwing him into a system that takes more than like ten minutes to explain, which is part of the appeal of Fate: I feel like you can jump straight into character creation without understanding the rules and jump right into playing so long as you explain the Golden Rule.

I could also use one of the many one-pagers that uses the same skill system I first heard about in Lasers & Feelings.

Thoughts?

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I'm going to MD with my wife in July and I've been asked to help her godson "learn how to play RPGs". I feel like the best thing is to learn by doing, right? So I've asked them to invite like two of his friends for an afternoon so we can do a one-shot.

But what should I play with them? I'm leaning towards running some sort of Fate Accelerated thing. I could conceivably show up with character sheets already done for DnD, but he's 12. I'm not sure about throwing him into a system that takes more than like ten minutes to explain, which is part of the appeal of Fate: I feel like you can jump straight into character creation without understanding the rules and jump right into playing so long as you explain the Golden Rule.

I could also use one of the many one-pagers that uses the same skill system I first heard about in Lasers & Feelings.

Thoughts?

There's always Roll For Shoes.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Thoughts?

Assemble a cheap p.c. out of old parts, install Diablo 2, give it to him.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Awakening 1e was a bunch of construction materials that someone left lying around and forgot to build a house with (but that also had an ok magic system so a lot of people just played Ascension with it).

Awakening 2e actually builds a cool setting, ditches some dumb shit or just excess lumber that doesn't fit any more (like coincidental magic), and adds new cool shit. It answers the question of what mages actually do with their time: they solve mysteries, but their insatiable curiosity is their Achilles heel, like a vampire's hunger, and it gets them into shit sometimes.

This is combined with my favorite flexible magic system ever. The gist of it is that there's a basic spell effect and then you apply all these sliders to it. Like, okay, say you want to do the most basic roleplaying thing possible and cast a healing spell. By default, you know how to cast a healing spell that takes an hour to cast, heals 0 damage, and requires you to touch the person.

Want to heal more damage? Well, now you're adding difficulty. Want to heal more than one person at a time, or do a big area spell? You're adding difficulty. Want to do it instantly, or in a minute, instead of an hour? You're adding difficulty. Want to do it at range? Difficulty. Want to do it across time, to heal someone in the future? Difficulty!

So...the difficulty stacks up fast. But then there's shit you can do to take it back down again. Are you using a magical tool that fits your character's chosen vibe (a wizard's staff, a cross, a magician's wand, a deck of cards, etc)? Now it's easier. Are you being assisted by a throng of helpful cultists? Now it's easier. Is there something spiritually or symbolically significant about the time and place you're casting the spell, like it's in a church or hospital or other place of healing, or you're a wiccan and there's a full moon out, or whatever? Easier!

Characters have a quality called Reach, which measures how far they can extend themselves, magically. It's a function of your Gnosis, your power stat (like Arete). If you have high Reach, you can do the thing and not risk Paradox. If your Reach is less than the level needed, you can still cast the spell...you just risk more and more Paradox the bigger the gap in your competence is.

Put this all together and what it means is that your character can do trivial, mundane magic easily without a lot of chart-looking-up and dice rolling. Want to detect magic at a crime scene? You just do. It's easy. You don't need to fuck around with the rulebook.

But if you want to do something big and cool, like a lightning spell that homes in on its target from across the city, that takes more work, and you are given strong mechanical incentive to roleplay it out - to describe how your character dresses and acts, what kind of magical tool they use and how it helps, what the sanctum you're casting the spell in is like, etc, and for the really big stuff you'll want to get assistance from friends and allies and so forth. So to make a spell a big deal mechanically you make it a big deal in the story. It feels like you're actually doing magic.

It also leads to crazy bullshit that could easily backfire and kill everyone, but is beautiful when you pull it off. In my last session, Ember the Obrimos cast a spell on a car they were driving up to an ambush to make it go like 5 times faster (it had a top speed of like 400 mph), Tul-Val the Moros enhanced the durability to make it bullet proof, and they proceded to ram it through an ambush of MIB dudes with smgs in front of a cave. They took out the head MIB going at max speed, the npc driving the car managed to not crash into the cave wall and go into the cave mouth, Ember used a spell to turn the car around (Turn Momentum weee) so they flew back out the cave mouth, hitting a car and killing two more MIBs, and flew back into the woods. All in 3 seconds.

Mage is crazy awesome.

(Note: If they had fucked up any of that, they would have died due to hitting a cave wall/mountain at 400mph, and the collision rules stated they would have taken way more than enough for everyone to die).

I also really, really like the way paradox works in this edition, where it is an escalation for using magic dangerously. Use magic in fronts of a lot of mundane people? The lie threatens to smack back. Reach farther than you have the ability to? Invite paradox into the world and you can do it. Fuck around with something from the Abyss or dangerous magic? That could invite paradox. And I like the fact that the next step if a paradox does happen is to put pressure on containing the paradox, or letting it run rampant into the world. Finally, if you contain a paradox within yourself, it can corrupt and damage you, giving the players even more roleplaying and story opportunities. It's super fun.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I feel like Humblewood is what happened when a group of friends got together to play Root and went, well, what if we made this into a campaign?

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I feel like Humblewood is what happened when a group of friends got together to play Root and went, well, what if we made this into a campaign?

Root is also getting an RPG that's properly licensed.

Though I'm not really sold on that setting as an RPG hook considering it's 90% good art.

• Options
    edited April 2019

Thoughts?

One-pagers are a good idea if you feel like they'll get bogged down by mechanics and paperwork and a good introduction to what's great about RPGs: having fun making up a collaborative story.

Grog on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular

When I read the pitch that was posted I was like "This got a million dollars?" But then I saw the little owl with a shield and suddenly it made more sense. People love them some cute animal warriors.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    so, i guess the thing i'm looking for is some kind of fantasy horror thing, i guess? Somethign with high stakes and everything is scary. where an encounter with a monster isn't just a straight fight, but fighting around its lair trying to escape and survive.

is there any system that does that well that isn't someone saying Kingdom Death?

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    so, i guess the thing i'm looking for is some kind of fantasy horror thing, i guess? Somethign with high stakes and everything is scary. where an encounter with a monster isn't just a straight fight, but fighting around its lair trying to escape and survive.

is there any system that does that well that isn't someone saying Kingdom Death?

i mean that's just every osr game, at least in theory