As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well my wife kept saying "You have the money right now, treat yourself" and insisted if I didn't she would so I will be getting some of those Dispel dice in...2021....shit.

See our financial circumstances are changing and while I REALLY REALLY want to back the Kickstarter for a few sets of dice (the Marianas Trench one, omggggggg), I really can't justify it. I've got 5 sets of Level Up Dice (which is just soooooo indulgent already) from when we could afford luxuries like that and I might have to accept that that's it. Done.

Blake did also reassure me that given the rate at which the Dispel Dice KS has blown up, you're not likely going to see the dice for a few years anyway, so we're just better of waiting until they are available on the regular (if the Kickstarter hasn't imploded from overwork by then) when our circumstances become more stable.

Yeah my delivery date is in 2021, but she said at this point she's looking to just open her own shop to make these because they're millions of dollars in when they weren't sure they'd sell 20k worth. So that might speed it up.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    gavindel wrote: »
    White Wolf as a system is only functional by the barest strings of mutual consent from the governed. I'm aware that all roleplaying games require a group consensus, but WW takes that to the next level of handwavium. It has all the narrative of a war game with the cohesion of a diceless story system. As much as I love the themes and flavors of Mage the Awakening, the thing is just a goddamn mess.

If they put a good index in, somebody might realize their game system was a broken, shambling monstrosity of poor design decisions in 2004, and it hasn't improve since.

I don't feel like any of this is true! Maybe it was about the actual White Wolf games from the 90s, which sound like they needed a lot of table consensus and houserules to do anything and still often went off the rails, but the NWoD games were all relatively solid system-wise; the vast majority of people's complaints I've seen about them have been lore ones (Requiem 1e was dull, Mage 1e didn't tell you what you were meant to be doing, Geist 1e was inexplicable) rather than system ones. But they've universally improved in their 2E versions in both respects. Requiem 2E is tight as a drum. Mage 2E has, as far as I'm concerned, the best freeform magic system ever made.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Well my wife kept saying "You have the money right now, treat yourself" and insisted if I didn't she would so I will be getting some of those Dispel dice in...2021....shit.

See our financial circumstances are changing and while I REALLY REALLY want to back the Kickstarter for a few sets of dice (the Marianas Trench one, omggggggg), I really can't justify it. I've got 5 sets of Level Up Dice (which is just soooooo indulgent already) from when we could afford luxuries like that and I might have to accept that that's it. Done.

Blake did also reassure me that given the rate at which the Dispel Dice KS has blown up, you're not likely going to see the dice for a few years anyway, so we're just better of waiting until they are available on the regular (if the Kickstarter hasn't imploded from overwork by then) when our circumstances become more stable.

Yeah my delivery date is in 2021, but she said at this point she's looking to just open her own shop to make these because they're millions of dollars in when they weren't sure they'd sell 20k worth. So that might speed it up.

Yea happily she had a consultant who knew their shit while setting this up, so it sounds like there were contingencies in place for if this blew up.

I think what really caught them off guard was the speed. I bet they would have turned off the 2020 orders sooner. I wonder if well see the 2021 get locked and a 2022 pop up.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    white wolf rules-lite?

that was intensely not my experience

i never needed to ask anyone how anything would function

i guess i was in the new stuff exclusively

sig.gif
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Alright gimme those sweet fantasy name generators, I need to name my new tiefling character.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    For Tieflings, I figure out what I want them to be, and name them something from that. (My last Tief, a bard, was named Legacy, as she was something of an archaeologist, trying to find evidence of a lost tiefling empire)

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My upcoming Tiefling is a musician called Baroque

'Roque music is his style, but known as Barry to his friends

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

On the other hand, there's dice I'm still waiting on from like five years ago from that artisan wooden dice venture that blew up in Texas.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Okay so people who play DnD:

I've currently got a level 4 Battle Master whose stat line is 14 16 8 16 10 10.

I took ritual caster to take advantage of the int.

Currently thinking about the trade off of going for a 1 level splash into wizard to pick up all the extra utility cantrips (particularly mage armour as I'm trying to act as a spy more than a front line tank).

It's either that or just taking Magic Initiate at level 6 but it feels like I gain significantly more spell wise from making it a wizard level.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    lvl 1 in wizard would give you Mage Armor, but also Disguise Self, which a spy could find quite useful

save your feat for something else, or to up one of your stats

• Options
    lvl 1 in wizard would give you Mage Armor, but also Disguise Self, which a spy could find quite useful

In general between the fact that I actively hate a level up being for something as boring as "Your stats grow to match the monsters stats, better do it," and that I'm already pushing to just be a weird niche (Everything fighter with no Con, magic, moth race stuff and the criminal background so I can be a criminal asshole) means I will almost certainly never take a stat increase over a feat.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Session zero today!

I haven't run d&d in...uhh.. when did 3rd come out?

I'm fine. This should be fine.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    gavindel wrote: »
    White Wolf as a system is only functional by the barest strings of mutual consent from the governed. I'm aware that all roleplaying games require a group consensus, but WW takes that to the next level of handwavium. It has all the narrative of a war game with the cohesion of a diceless story system. As much as I love the themes and flavors of Mage the Awakening, the thing is just a goddamn mess.

If they put a good index in, somebody might realize their game system was a broken, shambling monstrosity of poor design decisions in 2004, and it hasn't improve since.

I don't feel like any of this is true! Maybe it was about the actual White Wolf games from the 90s, which sound like they needed a lot of table consensus and houserules to do anything and still often went off the rails, but the NWoD games were all relatively solid system-wise; the vast majority of people's complaints I've seen about them have been lore ones (Requiem 1e was dull, Mage 1e didn't tell you what you were meant to be doing, Geist 1e was inexplicable) rather than system ones. But they've universally improved in their 2E versions in both respects. Requiem 2E is tight as a drum. Mage 2E has, as far as I'm concerned, the best freeform magic system ever made.

Yeah it’s bollocks. Everything since nwod (which is what, 20 years ago?) has been tight, and V5 is the best the system has ever been.

• Options
    95% of it is this
    The ST sets a difficulty for the action (the amount of successes required) and calls for a roll of stat + skill
    Player builds a dice pool consisting of their total dots in that stat + that skill with any modifiers
    Player rolls their dice. 6 or above is a success.

Things like hunger level modify things a little bit and allow for different kind of crits but like, it's a simple system. Even combat is exactly the same but with resisted rolls rather than straight, and against NPCs the rules allow for just doing them as straight difficulty rolls.

• Options
    although in my last game I rolled 4 dice and got 4 ones for an unavoidable critical failure so yeah the system is broken.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Dog Kobolds/Fey Corgis/Whatever: I Like Them

spicherpragmaticgentleman910200__88248.1414425345.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

310?cb=20100628034638
    BhDIKJL.jpg

robyn-jamieson-august-art-fight-101.jpg

GPwm6kW.png

Dt9MdWbVsAAyZcQ.jpg

tumblr_pq5cytNXwj1y87dw0o1_500.png

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

In general between the fact that I actively hate a level up being for something as boring as "Your stats grow to match the monsters stats, better do it," and that I'm already pushing to just be a weird niche (Everything fighter with no Con, magic, moth race stuff and the criminal background so I can be a criminal asshole) means I will almost certainly never take a stat increase over a feat.

I wish leveling occasionally could get a feat anyways, because I also want something more interesting than stats, but also feel the pressing need to "keep up"

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    yeah I don't like the stats/feat choice dichotomy in 5e, I get the feeling they didn't want to have to deal with feats because they've always been a balance thorn in their sides, but felt obligated to put something in because people like feats.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Feats are great, that's why 4e is the best because it had the most feats. :wink:

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Feats are great, that's why 4e is the best because it had the most feats. :wink:

I don't share this fetish for feats, if you will

• Options
    Just got done running the first act of the ALIEN RPG one shot. Will do a proper write up once it's done but we've had two combats:

1) Against a big muscle abomination. Which got burnt up by a power cutter before the guy using it paniced, dropped the powercutter and got pinned down. Limping away after miraculously surviving the follow up attack and locking it behind an air lock.

2) Against the mandatory chest burster scene where the security NPC actually nailed the shot and put it down really quickly even as everyone paniced.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

The combination of wide selection of feats and wide selection of abilities allowed for a level of customization/personalization/individualism for your character in 4e that just isn't possible in 5e.

• Options

The combination of wide selection of feats and wide selection of abilities allowed for a level of customization/personalization/individualism for your character in 4e that just isn't possible in 5e.

While this is true, what also bugged me about 4e was that, for all the options, there were still a surprisingly small percentage of option combos that were objectively good, which could lead to a LOT of disparity of power level between characters

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    While losing the defined combat roles was a dealbreaker for me, and I think the return to vancian casting and the attempt to achieve natural language were both misguided and bad, I really like the advantage system and i think combining non-AC defenses and saving throws was a good call

hey man you never have to justify your feats fetish to us

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah but 4e had the Avenger and that was rad. And the Warlord had an ability called "Rub some dirt on it." Which is amazing.

• Options
    SUCH A LUST FOR FEATS

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    oh man the warlord

5e should get a warlord, straight up

sig.gif
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I hear bahamut has only 1 feet.

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

While this is true, what also bugged me about 4e was that, for all the options, there were still a surprisingly small percentage of option combos that were objectively good, which could lead to a LOT of disparity of power level between characters

Actually to clarify this I think the issue was more the distribution of combos that looked good and/or had synergy, but were kind of actually bad.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    What if

What if every class has a tech tree

Or a grid of... Spheres

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    that's basically what subclasses are

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Actually to clarify this I think the issue was more the distribution of combos that looked good and/or had synergy, but were kind of actually bad.

In my experience, the theory-crafting that took place online in hermetically sealed hypotheticals was not nearly as interesting as the party-wide combinations players could come up with while leveling up at the same time together, taking abilities and feats that would allow them to compliment each other.

• Options
    These days I'm leaning more and more towards "d&d should flatten its progression mechanics a bit"

I also think feats should be the thing that opens up narrative power for characters rather than purely combat power.

• Options
    D&D is always going to be combat-focused, though. That's just what it is.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

At least it's fun combat

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I dunno, when you take that to it's logical conclusion and make a 4E people got very upset

So I don't know if you can say that's what it's Always going to be. And I'm not even saying it has to take much or anything away from the combat focus but rather give the players more mechanical tools to affect to story in interesting ways on top of the combat.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Dog Kobolds/Fey Corgis/Whatever: I Like Them

spicherpragmaticgentleman910200__88248.1414425345.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

310?cb=20100628034638
    BhDIKJL.jpg

robyn-jamieson-august-art-fight-101.jpg

GPwm6kW.png

Dt9MdWbVsAAyZcQ.jpg

tumblr_pq5cytNXwj1y87dw0o1_500.png

hl584nge8em6.png

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

It is but you can tell a story between the fist fights and bar brawls

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

It is but you can tell a story between the fist fights and bar brawls

Sure but that is almost completely ignored by the rules beyond basic skill checks.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I like the idea of down time activities, but then I'm the type of player who thinks about their character's place in the world

Although I guess the type of players who were angry with 4E for "just being about combat" are also that type of player

I maintain that anything that isn't about murderhoboing one's way across a contingent is down to the GM to encourage

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]