As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, I just saw Pathfinder kobolds mentioned and based on my own experience running them and playing against them didn't feel they were particularly maligned in that system compared to, say, Goblins or even Halflings or something.

That's why I specifically mentioned Pathfinder and laid out why I didn't think they were particularly set up as a joke option.

BUT that's also just what I think on the matter.

EDIT: I also 110% get the angle of the "present races as better/worse at things than other races" and think that's pretty valid criticism. I like having diversity in abilities overall and "biological form" is a... Relatively decent shorthand way to get across "oh this is why this character has these weird abilities"

I'm also a bit of a traditionalist in most of my tabletop ways so beyond sighing and admitting that it's an issue I don't have any real fixes for it. There's the option of "just let whoever play whatever as whatever" with whatever statblock workaround which I've done before, but things also just got messy with that group for other reasons.

MechMantis on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I like giving races actual distinct biological differences. Like Dwarves etc having darkvision, or Dragonborn getting a breath weapon, or Tieflings having some innate magical ability no matter their class, etc

Those are all cool and extremely appropriate ways to mechanically demonstrate that they're all different at a pretty fundamental level.... Without then saying they're inherently better or worse at X thing than any other race via something as core and important as ability score modifiers.

I've played a Kobold in Pathfinder too, and I had to super duper minimax him to make him potent and useful for the nature of the campaign and what the party needed at the time with the loss of my Monk. I had to take lots of feats and really focus on specific methods of mitigating the flaws (and also buy another source book to get some alternate racial traits to remove the daylight sensitivity trait) just to make him at all relevant in typical combat situations. I didn't really feel more satisfaction in a job well done than I would have if the kobold statblock was just balanced against the other race options to begin with. I enjoyed it despite the flaws, not because of them.

But yeah there's definitely folks out there who enjoy that element. So just gimme an optional racial trait that rebalances the statblock to be on par with the regular races and I'll be totally happy.

Playing against NPC Kobolds is a totally different thing and has always been great though. Mostly because as a GM you consistently get to leverage their capabilities and have like 20 of them take on a party at once to make up for their flaws, etc

Anzekay on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know if I gave an update on our last session but, we had a hiatus of a couple weeks that turned out to be that two of our players, who were dating, Extremely Broke Up, and we took some time for the DM to recalibrate for one of them leaving the group

So in our next session, the departed member's character, a Tabaxi, made a leap and grab for the Macguffin and snagged it easily, and then revealed himself as the lead henchman of one of the villains in disguise

Before he absconded with the stone he made sure to tell us that he had only replaced the real Tabaxi in the last day or so; he'd taken a payout and skipped town entirely, the motherfucker

and then tonight we learned that the stone he got was a fake anyway, and now we've been hired to break the forger out of jail to get him to tell us where the real one is

it's been a ride!

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    That is a neat bit of plot work to compensate. Props to the DM there

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    I know I agreed with the two posts where you posted that compromise @Anzekay but that is a good compromise and I like it a lot.

My current big homebrew mega-campaign project has an entirely different method for doing character creation with regards to attribute bonuses

you get +1 to one of 2 different stats for your race
    +1 to a stat for your background
    and +1 to one of two different stats for your class

you cannot have +3 total to the same stat

it's something that I feel makes the creation process much more interesting, without straying too far from the existing rules

if I were to remake it entirely I'd remove the racial stat bonus entirely and you'd get +1 from background, +1 from class and +1 from subclass

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    I dunno, I kinda like having races/classes with downsides and penalties that you have to work around. I've always been the type that gets drawn to those types of challenges. It allows for an off the beaten path type of character build where you can look back say, "Yeah, I made -that- work!". Its not for everyone, I understand, but there are plenty of us who like to take disadvantages to use them as both puzzles for the player and as a fulcrum for the roleplay of the character. I get that a fair number of people also just want to play a hero without all the bullshit of having to carefully figure out how to make a goblin fighter work, but I think there's room for having "puzzle" races for people who like the challenge of it too.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »
    if you gave me full control and re-released all the 4e books i could make a massive improvement in balance just by removing or numbers-fixing bad options with back of the napkin math checks. Would take 1 guy about 2 days.

Can you give me a taste of what this would look like? I'm not intimately familiar with the numerical ecosystem of 4e, but I always feel like balancing large numerical systems like this is a nightmare task at best and impossible at worst. What would simple-but-significant fixes look like?

Not really, just because I don't have the books or Compendium / CB. It's been too long and I don't have the google-fu to find the duplicates again. Just quick glance, Alertness and Agile Hunter both seem bad. If they don't show up in any of the enworld guides as at least black tier, and I can't build a thing in the character builder that wouldn't prefer one of the orange or blue tier feats, delete both.
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I'll be honest but saying that 1 person could just solve the balance problems in all the 4e books with back of napkin math in 2 days kinda makes me laugh a lot

a whole lot

I said it wasn't a binary! I can't fix the balance problems but I could make a huge improvement by just changing numbers or deleting options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I'll be honest but saying that 1 person could just solve the balance problems in all the 4e books with back of napkin math in 2 days kinda makes me laugh a lot

a whole lot

Nah Morgan you just don't get it - the dozens of people involved in designing these game systems and the hundreds of playtesters who helped fuss out the details before release are ALL complete morons who aren't just bad at their jobs, but literally have no idea what they are doing at any one time.

I can't even with this! I didn't say anything close to this and in the post in question was responding to the notion that it can't be done with a comment that you could get a lot closer

plus the people who playtested phb feats didn't have access to the martial power 2 feats that would be released years later that made them bad?!?

i dunno why this tone is necessary at all

When you say "remove the duplicates", do you mean that different classes have duplicate abilities, or something along those lines?

The same classes have duplicate or shadow-duplicate options from different books. So it looks as if there's a Human Soul feat that gives Revenant race characters +1 to reflex, will, and fort if they meet the prerequisite of having once been a human before their death. Then Essentials gave a feat called Improved Defenses that gave any character +1 to reflex, will and fort, increasing to +2 at 11 and +3 at 21. There might be a Drow feat called Shield of Shadows that's a strictly worse version of Lightning Reflexes - I can't see the wording on that one and the worse feat is later, so maybe it's not a feat bonus and can stack with other feats or something. Mettle and Evasion might be straight dupes. Spell Accuracy probably obviates Warcaster Tactics, though maybe a hobgoblin druid would want it or something?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    There is absolutely room for 4E to be slimmed down without rewriting the entire thing from the ground up. I think in many ways it's the tightest version of D&D - particularly in the much narrower variance between "uber" builds and characters built by throwing darts at a board - but that makes the occasional weird niggling issue, especially some of the fundamental math issues that the game launched with, stand out more.

A cleaned-up 4E is still my personal dream.

rRwz9.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    There is absolutely room for 4E to be slimmed down without rewriting the entire thing from the ground up. I think in many ways it's the tightest version of D&D - particularly in the much narrower variance between "uber" builds and characters built by throwing darts at a board - but that makes the occasional weird niggling issue, especially some of the fundamental math issues that the game launched with, stand out more.

Of all the editions 4e could really use a "x.5" process of just a review pass over everything with no presumption of carrying things forward.

I'm not convinced there's money to be made in TTRPG rules, but this is a product that would be great. As would a 4e-based video game :mad:

sig.gif
    Blarghy wrote: »
    I dunno, I kinda like having races/classes with downsides and penalties that you have to work around. I've always been the type that gets drawn to those types of challenges. It allows for an off the beaten path type of character build where you can look back say, "Yeah, I made -that- work!". Its not for everyone, I understand, but there are plenty of us who like to take disadvantages to use them as both puzzles for the player and as a fulcrum for the roleplay of the character. I get that a fair number of people also just want to play a hero without all the bullshit of having to carefully figure out how to make a goblin fighter work, but I think there's room for having "puzzle" races for people who like the challenge of it too.

it's entirely possible for a system to offer both, honestly

I just still kinda find the whole stats based on race thing a bit gross, is all

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Of all the editions 4e could really use a "x.5" process of just a review pass over everything with no presumption of carrying things forward.

I'm not convinced there's money to be made in TTRPG rules, but this is a product that would be great. As would a 4e-based video game :mad:

For all the manking about how 4e was just WoW, it's a crying shame that it never got adapted into a video game

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    4e seemed to have set out under the idea that it was fixing a lot of "problems" that not everyone had with 3e or 3.5. I absolutely loved everything about 4e. Wardens and Warlords and Avengers and the psionic bullshit and evil paladins and "cooldowns" for everyone to use in combat if shit was going hairy. It was everything I wanted in D&D. Except people seemed to have hated it, so I never got a chance to play it. Every time I see someone post something detrimental about 4e, it's that it took systems designed for videogames and made people do it in pen and paper. Is that a bad thing? That doesn't seem like a bad thing! Videogames are massively popular for a reason!

Though I will absolutely mirror the sentiment that not getting a 4e videogame does absolutely rankle me a bit.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I think the most dramatic change I would make to 4e is I would just have untyped +/- 2/5, non-stacking. You just either have it or you don't. I think that'd do a lot to curb the most min-max-y parts of 4e, while also streamlining a lot of what could bog down combat vis a vis having all the modifiers to track.

I'd probably still allow anything that was basically permanent to stack on top of that, but anything that was situational and/or use-oriented ("oh I have a power that can give you +2!" or "They're marked so they take a -2 to that attack") would just be untyped and non-stacking so that it's to keep track of. Specifically once you got into epic tier play.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    4e was the first edition I ever played, but I struggled with it as it felt very bitsy. I suspect, it’s a good system for people who have played ttrpgs before and can handle that quickly. Now that I feel more confident with tabletop games, I’d like to do like a one shot or even a short campaign with it again and see if I can get the system this time around.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also I'll toss out my periodic baseless claim that had Paizo and WotC developed each others systems and released them backwards (so Paizo giving us Pathfinder with 4e's system, and WotC releasing the Pathfinder system and calling it 4e) there wouldn't have been half as much controversy, and both would probably still be successful today.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    4e did a whole lot of things right

it did a bunch of stuff wrong as well, and 5e has managed to do some of that stuff right... but also some of the stuff 4e got right, 5e has regressed on

it's a very frustrating kind result... but I still think 5e is my overall favourite edition of D&D yet... I just wish it had some more 4e stuff. Which is why my homebrew campaign resources includes that stuff, because I've kinda realised that why not just make my own variants if I miss some 4e stuff?

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    5e has been much better than every early playtest kit and their own "iconic" design philosophy indicated it would be. It still feels way more stifling at character creation than a modern game should be, with too many incorrect, impossible, or trap options.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

For all the manking about how 4e was just WoW, it's a crying shame that it never got adapted into a video game

It was kind of absolutely perfect for making a Tactics game in the vein of FFT or Disgaea, I swear. It was basically the tabletop equivalent of those in the first place!

Steam ID: Right here.
    I haven't looked at a 5e sourcebook in quite some time, but have any base classes been added since the PHB? A cursory google search is telling me it's still the base 12, so there's no Warden or Avenger or Warlord, still?

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I haven't looked at a 5e sourcebook in quite some time, but have any base classes been added since the PHB? A cursory google search is telling me it's still the base 12, so there's no Warden or Avenger or Warlord, still?

The design philosophy seems to be to add sub-classes rather than new classes. Likely to avoid the bloat of prior editions and to provide at least a frame work when someone rolls up with an Artificer, since it's basically 85% PHB Wizard.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The Eberron book that's out later this month has been touted as having the first new class since the PHB, though existing classes have gotten more options with other books.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The Eberron book that's out later this month has been touted as having the first new class since the PHB, though existing classes have gotten more options with other books.

The Artificer, specifically. I think the final version will look fairly different from a Wizard since it's a half-caster. That will be the first published new base class.

They have released playtest material for the Mystic, but it was hideously unbalanced, way too good. It's unclear if it is planned for a future sourcebook.

They have sort of blessed Matt Mercer's Bloodhunter class by allowing it on DND Beyond. It's not really 'official' but it's more prominent than any other homebrewed base class.

They added a bunch of new subclasses in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, and have been putting more out in other books and as playtest material. Based on the amount of recent playtest material they've been putting out, I think another Xanathar's style book is on tap for next year.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Xanathar's Guide to Everything Else

Maddoc on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

It was kind of absolutely perfect for making a Tactics game in the vein of FFT or Disgaea, I swear. It was basically the tabletop equivalent of those in the first place!

It pretty much 100% was that. Like the reason I want a math cleaned up version of 4 is because it's a dope tactics engine. Just from a wargaming front 4e was a fun table top skirmish game. It's absolutely a shame that there was no tactics style video game to go with it.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

This would probably be a bad naming strategy in terms of actually selling the book, like the WiiU, but I would love it.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The thing that most appealed to me about 4e was that all the super-powers that classes get are standardized and codified in power description blocks (the number of scenarios in which I would prefer natural-language rules over codified keywords is very small), and that all the classes are on the same schedule in terms of how many super-powers they have and when do they get them.

I know that a lot of folks complained that this made the classes too samey. I get it, but also I think that consistency is a more worthwhile goal than having different systems that are relevant to only 1-2 classes each. Anyway, I also think that the number/type of powers that classes get is less important than the kinds of effects those powers produce for establishing a class identity. If a druid can turn into a dire bear, a wizard can summon a raging fire elemental, and a bard can explode someone's head by shredding a sweet tune on her lyre, I don't care that those are all "once-per-combat" abilities or whatever. They have different theming and in-game effects.

• ElddrikElddrik Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Xanathar's Lost Notes to Everything Else is a DM's Guild product >.> (it's a collection of Guild Adepts and is a mithral bestseller).

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Xanathar Explains It All

see317 wrote: »
    Xanathar Explains It All

But can Xanathar see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I played a mystic and basically had to deliberately nerf myself, because otherwise I was extremely overpowered.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The thing that most appealed to me about 4e was that all the super-powers that classes get are standardized and codified in power description blocks (the number of scenarios in which I would prefer natural-language rules over codified keywords is very small), and that all the classes are on the same schedule in terms of how many super-powers they have and when do they get them.

I know that a lot of folks complained that this made the classes too samey. I get it, but also I think that consistency is a more worthwhile goal than having different systems that are relevant to only 1-2 classes each. Anyway, I also think that the number/type of powers that classes get is less important than the kinds of effects those powers produce for establishing a class identity. If a druid can turn into a dire bear, a wizard can summon a raging fire elemental, and a bard can explode someone's head by shredding a sweet tune on her lyre, I don't care that those are all "once-per-combat" abilities or whatever. They have different theming and in-game effects.

4E set themselves up with a solid action economy, moreso than any edition past or since.

Like all economies, it suffered from inflation, and it was complicated enough that people were able to find all sorts of loopholes. But as a base action economy, I think the 4E system is really strong, and I would love to see some work done to either rehabilitate it or make a new system functioning off of that same basic structure (perhaps one without the D&D commitment to releasing constant new material).

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I commissioned art of my Wizard for my Thursday game.

Leo comes from one of those Wizard clans. The kind whose family tree has roots in as many planes as Yggdrasil, and a sprawling estate in Sigil. The kind that wouldn't look at all out of place co-hosting the occult community social event of the season with the Addams Family. The kind that has a consistent pattern of its scions hurling themselves wholeheartedly into their research passions, digging too deep and too greedily, and getting chased out of town by a mob because somebody forgot to lock up the Gibbering Mouther breeding pen overnight. Wherever they're found, the Caradocs have old money and older magic, and it's become damn near impossible for anything short of a city-wide riot to actually enforce consequences against any of them.

Leo somehow matured in this environment of decadent eccentricity without fully embracing it, and instead developed opinions about the Ethical Use of Magic. As soon as he was experienced enough to conclude his apprenticeship (mentored by a belligerent and overbearing warmage aunt and a detached and neglectful theorist uncle who split custody down seasonal lines), he struck out on his own and began the study of Abjuration in earnest. He hopes to develop a skill set that could serve as a check against other Wizards, and all their Wizard Bullshit, and eventually to find like-minded individuals to try to assemble some kind of occult oversight organization. This is what ultimately brought him to Acquisitions Incorporated, the desire to dig into the secret techniques of the Obviators and see if that style of tactical analysis could help him develop arcane countermeasures. To distance himself from his family, he affects the style of an impoverished wayfarer, threadbare garb kept long past its retirement age, even though he knows he could call on nigh-unlimited family resources any time he cared to ask.

Stolas, his horrible owl familiar, is straight out of the Ars Goetia, because those critters are classics for a reason. Stolas is also one of many indications that Leo isn't as innocent of his own Wizard Bullshit as he may wish. Even with the best intentions, Wizardry is a path that changes the people who walk it.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The Artificer, specifically. I think the final version will look fairly different from a Wizard since it's a half-caster. That will be the first published new base class.

They have released playtest material for the Mystic, but it was hideously unbalanced, way too good. It's unclear if it is planned for a future sourcebook.

They have sort of blessed Matt Mercer's Bloodhunter class by allowing it on DND Beyond. It's not really 'official' but it's more prominent than any other homebrewed base class.

They added a bunch of new subclasses in Xanathar's Guide to Everything, and have been putting more out in other books and as playtest material. Based on the amount of recent playtest material they've been putting out, I think another Xanathar's style book is on tap for next year.

They also adder Mercer's Gunslinger subclass for Fighter which I really wanna do

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The gunslinger fighter is broken as hell last time I played in a game with it.

It has the range of a warlock and hits like an assassin rogue.

It made my barbarian totally ineffectual because by the time I got to the places the enemies were they were already dead.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I finished building a fighter with that unarmed fighting style

1d8 damage if both hands are empty, automatic 1d4 each round on a grapple, and I took both the Tavern Brawler and the Grappler feats.
    The fighting style and feats all kinda step on each other's toes, but they each bring a critical little something that is gonna make this guy work.

I'll have to look into silvered/magical gauntlets to punch with. or just also have a weapon I guess

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Have your bare fists enchanted.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I think you mean BEAR fists.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, I played a mystic and basically had to deliberately nerf myself, because otherwise I was extremely overpowered.

I'm playing a Mystic (Wu-Jen, to be precise) right now and honestly all I'm doing is "stay in my subclass discipline-wise and pick disciplines in elemental wheel order instead of cherrypicking all the best disciplines without any thematic consistency", and I'm pretty sure both the Paladin and the Wizard are perceptibly more powerful than I am. Mystic is in this weird spot where depending on your choices you can end up anything from severly underpowered to severely overpowered, because the disciplines are nowhere near balanced between themselves.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I'm playing a Mystic (Wu-Jen, to be precise) right now and honestly all I'm doing is "stay in my subclass discipline-wise and pick disciplines in elemental wheel order instead of cherrypicking all the best disciplines without any thematic consistency", and I'm pretty sure both the Paladin and the Wizard are perceptibly more powerful than I am. Mystic is in this weird spot where depending on your choices you can end up anything from severly underpowered to severely overpowered, because the disciplines are nowhere near balanced between themselves.

I did Nomadic mind, and basically any skill check I could get at least trained in, if not advanftage, had all saving throws trained, had multiple abilities where I could give an attacker disadvantage, and only didn't do a lot of combat damage by choice.