As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Not much of an update from my game. We did the "all the monsters in America are way higher level" gimmick. Thus the party fought kobolds that had a fire dragon's flame breath and various things of that ilk. Players spent quite a while joking around in totally-not-New-York since everybody but me has actually been there.

No, tonight I think I'll call out the importance of player tolerance for when a GM makes everything up way too late.

Me: "Of course, those beaverbear pelts are a huge export. Very popular in Gallia."
    Players, fresh from Europe: "Nobody said anything about it."
    Me: "Ah, yes. Well, seeing these luxurious beaverbear pelts on display, they do seem distinctly fashionable..."
    Rogue, deadpan, staring me in the face: "Oh. Of course. Those beaverbelt furs. Now that we are talking about it, I do recall regularly seeing elven ladies of high fashion wearing the thing you just made up."
    Me: "Excellent!"

They later encountered a beaverbear in the "low level" dungeon and avoided the encounter by throwing it various kobolds to eat instead.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So apparently we have local vampires trying to revive their elders. The last thing they told us in their audience with the Mistress is "pick a side"

So we might just be completely screwed

Fencingsax on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Pick the side that doesn't leave you completely screwed. What's the worst that could happen?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    New Ebberon book came out. New Artificer is read as hell. New Warforged are not as cool as old UA warforged

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    are they different from the version in the wayfinder's guide to eberron? seems like the wayfinder's guide version is identical to the UA version.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I've gone over this before, but money is essentially meaningless to 5E players beyond like... third level

Unless you have a wizard in your party. Wizards are some cash hungry motherfuckers. Our party mostly uses our loot to subsidize the wizard. Worth it, though.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The Wayfarer's Guide got updated with whatever is in the new book, IIRC. So the old versions of the Warforged and Artificer is gone.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    New Ebberon book came out. New Artificer is read as hell. New Warforged are not as cool as old UA warforged

How close to the UA artificer is the new artificer?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

What happened to Warforged?

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    Had the first proper mage session yesterday, with the player a fully fledged member of the mysterium. They got an exceptional success when rounding up fellow neokoros for a ritual casting, which ended up netting them fourteen bonus dice to their spellcasting pool.

It was a postcognition spell to discover the circumstances around a spell cast on a mysterious book so they amped up the spell up to a month's duration to get the fullest context. This meant they could scrutinise the person casting the spell, bypassing the Mystery's opacity and getting two bits of Deep Information I was going to parcel out as they Scrutinised.

I'm so proud of this babby mage.

The mysterious person who cast the spell had a weathered face and wild scraggly hair; and when examined with Supernal Vision, their Gnosis had a strange... hollowness.
    62ep2sjlce0l.png
    We all know Tom Waits is a lich, right?

Solo mage has been clattering along at ever increasing speeds over the last few sessions. Session 2 was nice and sedate, lots of schmoozing and favour trading as befits a mystagogue, following up on the clues from the precognition and scrutinising. They gave an impression of the mystery man's nimbus to their Guardian contact to see if there was a match on their database.

Session 3 opened with being woken in the middle of the night by the screech of a motorcycle totalling outside their flat and a pounding on the door. Turns out that nimbus belonged to an Arrow who'd died in action several years ago, and their blood-sister (6 feet of self-transubstantiating Arrow herself) was none too pleased with the idea of someone going around copying his nimbus. At the same time she gets a phone call from a gravelly-voiced stranger, who casts Words of Truth down the line so that he can deliver his ultimatum even after she's hung up. The player somehow weathered intimidation and threats of duello, talking them round to working together to catch the mystery man, while said mystery man informs her (words ringing with Truth) that if 'certain people' find out she has the book, they're both in grave danger. He tells her to meet him at a central train station at rush hour.

Session 4 had the most mind-boggling prep, as the player had 4 allied mages in the vicinity in case shit went down and was flanked by an adept of Life and Matter (and punching). They'd created a fake copy of the book in question and veiled their nimbus. They played the part of sleeper-courier perfectly, drawing the mystery man out (he was hiding under a wheely-bin in shadow form and communicating with invisible runes in the air). Though the Arrow got the drop on him, he'd come prepared with an amped up warding spell, so any attempt to target him magically was up against a 6 withstand rating. He tries to flee into a dark tunnel, the player counter-spelling everytime he tries to fling any Death spells at them, until the Arrow finally manages to encase him in a ball of concrete (though not before taking 4 aggravated damage from a withering spell).

Finally the backup arrives and with their powers combined get his warding dispelled so that he can be safely turned into a briefcase. They scrutinise him on the way to the Arrow ice-box, discovering that -gasp- he's been eating souls!

Next session will involve entering the lich's Oneiros, because something fucky is going on with his memories and they need to find out a) where the third volume of their split grimoire is and b) why/how they were using the deceased Arrow's nimbus.

So now I've got to decide how convoluted I want to get. The rough idea I have sketched out is that this lower-ranked lich (a Tremere, no less), has been sent on a mission by their princeps to find a lost House of Tremere. Do I say that their mind has been warped by their superiors implanting missions in them? By the death-sleep (kaoimaomai) they've had to go under so frequently to stay under the radar? Abyssal intrusion into their Oneiros from risking too much paradox?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

pretty different. I love all the subclasses though.

Alchemist makes elixirs and get to do heals/buffs really well
    Artillerist make cannons that can shoot or shield and get magic blasting
    Battle Smith can make a robot to protect them or attack and get to add their Int to attack with magic weapons as opposed to Str or Dex.

New Warforged lose the race variants and instead they get +2 con and +1 to any stat. Instead of the different cores they just get like armor that attaches to them. Heres their abilities:
    Constructed Resilience
    You were created to have remarkable fortitude, represented by the following benefits:

You have advantage on saving throws against being poisoned, and you have resistance to poison damage.
    You don’t need to eat, drink, or breathe.
    You are immune to disease.
    You don’t need to sleep, and magic can’t put you to sleep.

Sentry’s Rest
    When you take a long rest, you must spend at least six hours in an inactive, motionless state, rather than sleeping. In this state, you appear inert, but it doesn’t render you unconscious, and you can see and hear as normal.

Integrated Protection
    Your body has built-in defensive layers, which can be enhanced with armor:

You gain a +1 bonus to Armor Class.
    You can don only armor with which you have proficiency. To don armor, you must incorporate it into your body over the course of 1 hour, during which you remain in contact with the armor. To doff armor, you must spend 1 hour removing it. You can rest while donning or doffing armor in this way.
    While you live, your armor can’t be removed from your body against your will.
    Specialized Design
    You gain one skill proficiency and one tool proficiency of your choice.

Languages
    You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choice.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

- Three subclasses, Alchemist (elixirs/support), Artillerist ("gonne"/turrets), and Battlesmith (Martial/mech pet?)
    - Homunculus is now an Infusion, not tied to Alchemist (so Alchemist can ignore it, and the other two can get it)
    - some new few Infusions (like an armblade)
    - lost the 1st level spell Arcane Weapon, but gained some new ones
    - more details in this here reddit thread.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

What happened to Warforged?

They lost their "change self armor per long rest", and just have +1 to AC. I think they also lost Integrated Tools?

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I kind of like the way that armor works there. It makes regular armor still workable but also not like, just a robot putting on a robot costume.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    Had the first proper mage session yesterday, with the player a fully fledged member of the mysterium. They got an exceptional success when rounding up fellow neokoros for a ritual casting, which ended up netting them fourteen bonus dice to their spellcasting pool.

It was a postcognition spell to discover the circumstances around a spell cast on a mysterious book so they amped up the spell up to a month's duration to get the fullest context. This meant they could scrutinise the person casting the spell, bypassing the Mystery's opacity and getting two bits of Deep Information I was going to parcel out as they Scrutinised.

The mysterious person who cast the spell had a weathered face and wild scraggly hair; and when examined with Supernal Vision, their Gnosis had a strange... hollowness.
    62ep2sjlce0l.png

Solo mage has been clattering along at ever increasing speeds over the last few sessions. Session 2 was nice and sedate, lots of schmoozing and favour trading as befits a mystagogue, following up on the clues from the precognition and scrutinising. They gave an impression of the mystery man's nimbus to their Guardian contact to see if there was a match on their database.

Session 3 opened with being woken in the middle of the night by the screech of a motorcycle totalling outside their flat and a pounding on the door. Turns out that nimbus belonged to an Arrow who'd died in action several years ago, and their blood-sister (6 feet of self-transubstantiating Arrow herself) was none too pleased with the idea of someone going around copying his nimbus. At the same time she gets a phone call from a gravelly-voiced stranger, who casts Words of Truth down the line so that he can deliver his ultimatum even after she's hung up. The player somehow weathered intimidation and threats of duello, talking them round to working together to catch the mystery man, while said mystery man informs her (words ringing with Truth) that if 'certain people' find out she has the book, they're both in grave danger. He tells her to meet him at a central train station at rush hour.

Session 4 had the most mind-boggling prep, as the player had 4 allied mages in the vicinity in case shit went down and was flanked by an adept of Life and Matter (and punching). They'd created a fake copy of the book in question and veiled their nimbus. They played the part of sleeper-courier perfectly, drawing the mystery man out (he was hiding under a wheely-bin in shadow form and communicating with invisible runes in the air). Though the Arrow got the drop on him, he'd come prepared with an amped up warding spell, so any attempt to target him magically was up against a 6 withstand rating. He tries to flee into a dark tunnel, the player counter-spelling everytime he tries to fling any Death spells at them, until the Arrow finally manages to encase him in a ball of concrete (though not before taking 4 aggravated damage from a withering spell).

Finally the backup arrives and with their powers combined get his warding dispelled so that he can be safely turned into a briefcase. They scrutinise him on the way to the Arrow ice-box, discovering that -gasp- he's been eating souls!

Next session will involve entering the lich's Oneiros, because something fucky is going on with his memories and they need to find out a) where the third volume of their split grimoire is and b) why/how they were using the deceased Arrow's nimbus.

So now I've got to decide how convoluted I want to get. The rough idea I have sketched out is that this lower-ranked lich (a Tremere, no less), has been sent on a mission by their princeps to find a lost House of Tremere. Do I say that their mind has been warped by their superiors implanting missions in them? By the death-sleep (kaoimaomai) they've had to go under so frequently to stay under the radar? Abyssal intrusion into their Oneiros from risking too much paradox?

Radddddd, an Oneiric dive is something I've wanted to run in Mage for years and the opportunity never came up.

I feel like the answer to your question is how sympathetic or at least tragic you want your soul-eating monster man to be. Having missions shoved in his mind by the Tremere, being programmed maybe against his will like Jason Bourne, makes him at least a little bit of a victim. On the other hand, if he's all gunked up with Abyssal taint from tossing Paradox around, fuck him.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Darn I actually liked arcane weapon

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I was listening to an episode of the C-Team Season 1, and in it Jerry was describing a treasure room full of gold, with that gold being part of a magical trap and moving around the room in waves according to some magical intent. Combined with the recent discussion we had about non-typical dragon hoards, my mind immediately jumped to: a dragon made of coins.

I see two directions to go in: (1) a dragon that is a hoard; and (2) a hoard that is a dragon.

For (2), I'd probably say that a particular hoard belonged to a dragon for so long, the dragon has been in physical contact with the hoard for so long, that some of the "dragoniness" has rubbed off on it. Now the actual dragon's gone (dead, probably), and the magical energy that's rubbed off on the piles of gold and treasures has animated it, and is making it behave like its old owner. Whether the hoard recognizes that it is treasure acting as a dragon or whether it is 100% convinced that it's a regular flesh-and-blood-and-magic dragon is left to the GM's preferences.

For (1), I'd say that a dragon has realized that it's very difficult to secure and keep track of a large hoard absolutely, and so has conducted a complicated ritual to transfer its mind and power into the hoard. So now it is the hoard, and keeping track of where each coin is located feels more like keeping track of where all your fingers are.

The image of a large body moving through piles of gold coins (so the players think something's swimming through it like Carl Barks drew it), and then the pile just raises up to become the shape they were expecting to see inside seems like a neat visual. In a combat scenario, I'd flavor the breath weapon like this: when the dragon takes a deep breath, the loose coins on the floor are drawn into its body (not through the nose/mouth, just through anywhere they come in contact with the body) like it's a vacuum cleaner, and the actual breath weapon is a cone of coins that can have whatever effects you need it to.

Having the body = the treasure is tricky for non-combat situations. If the dragon can't have any part of its hoard-body be too far away from the rest without feeling pain, then the players probably can't take any of the treasure away without combat happening; on the other hand, scooping handfuls of coins into your pockets would constitute doing a few points of damage. In a more plot-hooky direction, if some of the treasure can be removed from the immediate vicinity without the dragon coming to harm and with the treasure still being a part of it, then the players can take a coin with them and be able to communicate with the dragon through it, maybe get some advice or have the dragon work minor magic through the coin. To go all out, the dragon might intentionally send parts of the hoard-self out to circulate, so that it has - effectively - eye and ears wherever its money is being handled; this is like a plotting spider at the center of the web who also is the web.

edited November 2019
    The Wayfarer's Guide got updated with whatever is in the new book, IIRC. So the old versions of the Warforged and Artificer is gone.

you sure? it still looks the same as the UA entry to me today on Beyond. no wait you're partially right, they didn't change the page in the actual wayfinder's guide (yet?) but they added a generic warforged race page with the new version that you can find by searching, and deleted the UA version page. Last night there was no generic warforged page and the UA version was still up.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    It might depend on what content you have unlocked on dndbeyond. If you’ve already created a character using those rules, it will remain using the old rules unless you bought the new sourcebook (I think). DndBeyond has a Twitter post explaining it. By canon, the new sourcebook rules are definitive and they supplant the UA/wayfinders rules though.

Also, the artificer looks super rad and I’m going to play one in my next campaign starting later this week. Warforged artillerist blasted from Eberron into a different realm in a magical accident.

warforged got kind of gutted it looks like, no more subraces with interesting features.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I was listening to an episode of the C-Team Season 1, and in it Jerry was describing a treasure room full of gold, with that gold being part of a magical trap and moving around the room in waves according to some magical intent. Combined with the recent discussion we had about non-typical dragon hoards, my mind immediately jumped to: a dragon made of coins.

I have definitely seen art of that. It was years ago so probably in Dragon/Dungeon or the like.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I once had the Party discover an ancient hoard of gold and chests and jewels. Except, you see, a Mimic or two was left as a trap and over the years, they had been eating the treasure and having baby mimics.

every single piece of treasure in the room was a mimic, from the coins and gems to the traditional chests. I think I had a shipping container mimic breach a pile of coins like a whale.

They had to hide in a side room and tuck a cloak under the door to keep the baby mimics out while the wizard drew a teleportation circle very quickly.

I have definitely seen art of that. It was years ago so probably in Dragon/Dungeon or the like.

There’s also the Opulence encounter from a recent WoW raid.

edited November 2019
    that's more of a treasure golem
    or a treasure elemental maybe

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Monster-made-of-treasure, yeah. The visuals could be a useful reference.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I kind of like the way that armor works there. It makes regular armor still workable but also not like, just a robot putting on a robot costume.

Yeah but the changes and the loss of different stat choices means I can't make a Warforged Monk with 22 AC at level 8 now...

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    that's more of a treasure golem
    or a treasure elemental maybe

The fight has both, really. You start off fighting two treasure golems and then fight an elemental made of gold.

I hope that it's the result of future-me going back in time and getting this idea published, and not current-me having derivative ideas.

(The reality is that this is a relatively obvious end to reach, I'm sure lots of people over the decades have had the idea "Wait, what if dragon... but money???")

I once had the Party discover an ancient hoard of gold and chests and jewels. Except, you see, a Mimic or two was left as a trap and over the years, they had been eating the treasure and having baby mimics.

every single piece of treasure in the room was a mimic, from the coins and gems to the traditional chests. I think I had a shipping container mimic breach a pile of coins like a whale.

They had to hide in a side room mimic and tuck a cloak mimic under the door mimic to keep the baby mimics out while the wizard drew a teleportation circle very quickly.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It's mimics all the way down!

Also I feel like Hoarddragon perhaps procreates somehow through adventurers taking some of the hoard away. Maybe the stolen hoard becomes inert, but when combined with more treasure of X potency can manifest as a new Hoarddragon

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The dungeon is a giant stone and steel angler fish burrowing under the world and the treasure room is its glowy bait thing.

It's like Planescape's cranium rats: a single coin is just a single coin. A couple of coins together in a wallet are starting to think that hey, they're a pretty important and big deal. A sack's worth of coins is pretty sure that everyone else is an insect. A cave of coins is a fully-megalomaniacal dragon.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    hey gang, guess what I just spent a cool hundo on

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    there's only 3 left in stock btw in case you also have stupid money

https://www.elderwoodacademy.com/product/elderwood-spellcircle/

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

62ep2sjlce0l.png

Radddddd, an Oneiric dive is something I've wanted to run in Mage for years and the opportunity never came up.

I feel like the answer to your question is how sympathetic or at least tragic you want your soul-eating monster man to be. Having missions shoved in his mind by the Tremere, being programmed maybe against his will like Jason Bourne, makes him at least a little bit of a victim. On the other hand, if he's all gunked up with Abyssal taint from tossing Paradox around, fuck him.

I've done a few Oneiric dives in my time with Mage and they're great. Astral Plane stuff can be stupendously cool.

Incidentally one problem I've seen people mention with Mage is like, my Mages are experienced and powerful, outside of having them encounter another slumbering God under London (and absolutely there are a few but they need to be used sparingly) or other powerful Mages, how can I make them feel a bit nervous about directly dealing with other entities and individuals in the game? And my answer is: put the stuff they need in the Astral Realms, because that's where they can be serious challenged all over the place. It's a good source of that comparative danger, when they were less experienced would they ever walk on the Astral Shore where the waters of the Abyss lap horribly on the sands? Nooooo. Now you're powerful enough to go there...

FYI the alternate art for the Eberron book is absolutely gorgeous in person.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    When you're printing player aides at work and the printer jams.

Whoops

*cough*

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

62ep2sjlce0l.png

I've done a few Oneiric dives in my time with Mage and they're great. Astral Plane stuff can be stupendously cool.

Incidentally one problem I've seen people mention with Mage is like, my Mages are experienced and powerful, outside of having them encounter another slumbering God under London (and absolutely there are a few but they need to be used sparingly) or other powerful Mages, how can I make them feel a bit nervous about directly dealing with other entities and individuals in the game? And my answer is: put the stuff they need in the Astral Realms, because that's where they can be serious challenged all over the place. It's a good source of that comparative danger, when they were less experienced would they ever walk on the Astral Shore where the waters of the Abyss lap horribly on the sands? Nooooo. Now you're powerful enough to go there...

I feel like, to a certain extent, as Mages become more powerful, the threats they face should become so as well, and so you just don’t focus on the small stuff as much. Also hubris can come to bite them in the ass. Mages can dance around vampires for example (though underestimating an elder vampire will still get a Mage fucked), other creatures like Demons, Werewolves, Changelings, etc. can be surprisingly tough. Werewolf powers has some absurd upper limits, demons are crazy powerful, etc. So tossing political tensions between those groups can be good. Cause even then yeah, the Mages could probably brute force a single Changeling or werewolf, but being too aggressive is going to bring all of the local lodge or pack down on them. And that is going to get nasty.

Also hubris, both mechanically and the actual term, is going to become more dangerous for them. As the threats are increased, not taking them seriously, not planning properly, and/or being surprised becomes a bigger risk. Because for all of their power, Mages are still human, and can be splattered very easily if caught off guard

On top of that, Atlantean ruins can always be a challenge, because who knows what will happen there? Magic can behave differently, the areas there aren’t as easily manipulated, or too easily manipulated, and unknowable entities reside within.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

Yeah but the changes and the loss of different stat choices means I can't make a Warforged Monk with 22 AC at level 8 now...

Sorry to say, you couldn't have an AC that high before the change, unless you were using magic items. It's a common mistake, and various WotC-affiliated twitters seem to answer questions about AC calculations pretty much daily. All calculations below assume only Monk levels, no magic items, and no build choices that would boost AC in a way that interferes with core Monk traits, many of which require you to use no shield or armor.

A Monk's Unarmored Defense trait offers an AC calculation of (10 + Dexterity Modifier + Wisdom Modifier) so long as you're unarmored and not using a shield. By level 8 your maximum AC using that formula would be 18, assuming use of the Envoy subrace to start with a 16 Dexterity and 16 Wisdom, and you'd hit your maximum AC of 20 with that calculation by level 16 at the earliest. Using the New Warforged rules, your maximum AC with this calculation by level 8 would still be 18, because you couldn't start with both your Dexterity and Wisdom modifiers at +3 at level 1, only one of them, and the other at +2. Your maximum AC by the time you reach level 16 would be 21 though, because the +1 bonus does explicitly stack.

A Warforged's Integrated Protection trait under the old UA model offers three different AC calculations, and the Monk class qualifies only for the lowest package, Darkwood Core. This has a formula of (11 + Dexterity Modifier (+ Proficiency Bonus, only if proficient with Light Armor, which Monks are not)). Assuming you used the Skirmisher subrace and started with a Dexterity score of 17, then used one of your Ability Score Increases to acquire the Lightly Armored Feat, you could pull off an AC of 19 at most by level 8, and cap your AC at 22 by level 17. Using this calculation is still explicitly called out as Unarmored, even though it's boosted by having proficiency in light armor, so it wouldn't interfere with any of your other monk traits. But you couldn't use both Integrated Protection: Darkwood Core and a Monk's Unarmored Defense at the same time, just like you couldn't stack either of them with Mage Armor.

The new flat +1 to AC is certainly less interesting, but it's also probably better for all but a handful of edge cases. The old version was balanced around the idea that lack of magic armor would be a moderate drawback, which is a reasonable assumption for a setting as rich in magic items as Eberron, but breaks down in most other D&D worlds and put low-level Warforged a bit ahead of the curve.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    When you're printing player aides at work and the printer jams.

Whoops

*cough*

You've just gotta get a job as the printer maintenance guy like me

"No, trust me, it's imperative to test the printer by printing out the entire chapter of spells"