As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Corpses and Coteries: The Tabletop Games Thread Rises

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I kind of like the way that armor works there. It makes regular armor still workable but also not like, just a robot putting on a robot costume.

Yeah but the changes and the loss of different stat choices means I can't make a Warforged Monk with 22 AC at level 8 now...

Sorry to say, you couldn't have an AC that high before the change, unless you were using magic items. It's a common mistake, and various WotC-affiliated twitters seem to answer questions about AC calculations pretty much daily. All calculations below assume only Monk levels, no magic items, and no build choices that would boost AC in a way that interferes with core Monk traits, many of which require you to use no shield or armor.

A Monk's Unarmored Defense trait offers an AC calculation of (10 + Dexterity Modifier + Wisdom Modifier) so long as you're unarmored and not using a shield. By level 8 your maximum AC using that formula would be 18, assuming use of the Envoy subrace to start with a 16 Dexterity and 16 Wisdom, and you'd hit your maximum AC of 20 with that calculation by level 16 at the earliest. Using the New Warforged rules, your maximum AC with this calculation by level 8 would still be 18, because you couldn't start with both your Dexterity and Wisdom modifiers at +3 at level 1, only one of them, and the other at +2. Your maximum AC by the time you reach level 16 would be 21 though, because the +1 bonus does explicitly stack.

A Warforged's Integrated Protection trait under the old UA model offers three different AC calculations, and the Monk class qualifies only for the lowest package, Darkwood Core. This has a formula of (11 + Dexterity Modifier (+ Proficiency Bonus, only if proficient with Light Armor, which Monks are not)). Assuming you used the Skirmisher subrace and started with a Dexterity score of 17, then used one of your Ability Score Increases to acquire the Lightly Armored Feat, you could pull off an AC of 19 at most by level 8, and cap your AC at 22 by level 17. Using this calculation is still explicitly called out as Unarmored, even though it's boosted by having proficiency in light armor, so it wouldn't interfere with any of your other monk traits. But you couldn't use both Integrated Protection: Darkwood Core and a Monk's Unarmored Defense at the same time, just like you couldn't stack either of them with Mage Armor.

The new flat +1 to AC is certainly less interesting, but it's also probably better for all but a handful of edge cases. The old version was balanced around the idea that lack of magic armor would be a moderate drawback, which is a reasonable assumption for a setting as rich in magic items as Eberron, but breaks down in most other D&D worlds and put low-level Warforged a bit ahead of the curve.

Oh I didn't mention that I had been thinking about the Kensei feature that gave you +2 AC after a melee weapon attack.

DarkPrimus on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I wanna make a Warforge Monk who was sent with a small contingency of troops to eliminate a group of monks during the war but instead fell in love with their ideas of beauty and philosophy and dedicated the next hundred or so years to joining them and meditation. When the last of the monks finally passes away he decides to go back into the world, to seek the true, living version of himself. He will be a Monk of the Astral Body and his astral form will slowly begin to look like him as a human. With big hair and a sweet jacket.

His name is "He Who Seeks Truth Of Self"

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    My warforged artificer, an artillerist, for a game starting this week: built near the end of the Last War to serve as a battlefield engineer (mostly to scout out and defuse minefields and other hazards. They’re not people, you see!). Worked as a grease monkey after the war repairing lightning rail engines and skyships. Was forced to leave for the coast when anti-warforged sentiment grew, and found a group of similarly disenfranchised warforged. They learned rumors of a former Cannith engine of creation that had escaped destruction or decommissioning after the war, set out to find it, and did. They were in the process of starting it back up, to resume creation of new warforged, when factions emerged within the group. One wished to make a conquering army, the other - including my character - wished to create a new warforged civilization. Fighting broke out, the engine was damaged, and a great release of energy catapulted my character and some number of others into a different realm. I’m discovered by an order of monks, and off we go.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    We reached the conclusion of a characters arc this week in my eberron game, shit got real weird.
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    unknown.png

like, 'delve into a mindscape to fight strange angels with your dead companions and then fight a ghost army on a mountain and then the ghost army turns into a giant end-of-inside flesh monster that screams prayers to heaven in a dead language' weird

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I kind of like the way that armor works there. It makes regular armor still workable but also not like, just a robot putting on a robot costume.

Yeah but the changes and the loss of different stat choices means I can't make a Warforged Monk with 22 AC at level 8 now...

Sorry to say, you couldn't have an AC that high before the change, unless you were using magic items. It's a common mistake, and various WotC-affiliated twitters seem to answer questions about AC calculations pretty much daily. All calculations below assume only Monk levels, no magic items, and no build choices that would boost AC in a way that interferes with core Monk traits, many of which require you to use no shield or armor.

A Monk's Unarmored Defense trait offers an AC calculation of (10 + Dexterity Modifier + Wisdom Modifier) so long as you're unarmored and not using a shield. By level 8 your maximum AC using that formula would be 18, assuming use of the Envoy subrace to start with a 16 Dexterity and 16 Wisdom, and you'd hit your maximum AC of 20 with that calculation by level 16 at the earliest. Using the New Warforged rules, your maximum AC with this calculation by level 8 would still be 18, because you couldn't start with both your Dexterity and Wisdom modifiers at +3 at level 1, only one of them, and the other at +2. Your maximum AC by the time you reach level 16 would be 21 though, because the +1 bonus does explicitly stack.

A Warforged's Integrated Protection trait under the old UA model offers three different AC calculations, and the Monk class qualifies only for the lowest package, Darkwood Core. This has a formula of (11 + Dexterity Modifier (+ Proficiency Bonus, only if proficient with Light Armor, which Monks are not)). Assuming you used the Skirmisher subrace and started with a Dexterity score of 17, then used one of your Ability Score Increases to acquire the Lightly Armored Feat, you could pull off an AC of 19 at most by level 8, and cap your AC at 22 by level 17. Using this calculation is still explicitly called out as Unarmored, even though it's boosted by having proficiency in light armor, so it wouldn't interfere with any of your other monk traits. But you couldn't use both Integrated Protection: Darkwood Core and a Monk's Unarmored Defense at the same time, just like you couldn't stack either of them with Mage Armor.

The new flat +1 to AC is certainly less interesting, but it's also probably better for all but a handful of edge cases. The old version was balanced around the idea that lack of magic armor would be a moderate drawback, which is a reasonable assumption for a setting as rich in magic items as Eberron, but breaks down in most other D&D worlds and put low-level Warforged a bit ahead of the curve.

Oh I didn't mention that I had been thinking about the Kensei feature that gave you +2 AC after a melee weapon attack.

Friend of mine was looking at an Elf Barbarian and was coming up with similar AC values using the Revenant Blade feat.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I have definitely heard the CIA uses board games as teaching tools for game theory type stuff relevant to espionage.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Grog wrote: »
    Grog wrote: »
    Had the first proper mage session yesterday, with the player a fully fledged member of the mysterium. They got an exceptional success when rounding up fellow neokoros for a ritual casting, which ended up netting them fourteen bonus dice to their spellcasting pool.

It was a postcognition spell to discover the circumstances around a spell cast on a mysterious book so they amped up the spell up to a month's duration to get the fullest context. This meant they could scrutinise the person casting the spell, bypassing the Mystery's opacity and getting two bits of Deep Information I was going to parcel out as they Scrutinised.

I'm so proud of this babby mage.

The mysterious person who cast the spell had a weathered face and wild scraggly hair; and when examined with Supernal Vision, their Gnosis had a strange... hollowness.
    62ep2sjlce0l.png
    We all know Tom Waits is a lich, right?

Solo mage has been clattering along at ever increasing speeds over the last few sessions. Session 2 was nice and sedate, lots of schmoozing and favour trading as befits a mystagogue, following up on the clues from the precognition and scrutinising. They gave an impression of the mystery man's nimbus to their Guardian contact to see if there was a match on their database.

Session 3 opened with being woken in the middle of the night by the screech of a motorcycle totalling outside their flat and a pounding on the door. Turns out that nimbus belonged to an Arrow who'd died in action several years ago, and their blood-sister (6 feet of self-transubstantiating Arrow herself) was none too pleased with the idea of someone going around copying his nimbus. At the same time she gets a phone call from a gravelly-voiced stranger, who casts Words of Truth down the line so that he can deliver his ultimatum even after she's hung up. The player somehow weathered intimidation and threats of duello, talking them round to working together to catch the mystery man, while said mystery man informs her (words ringing with Truth) that if 'certain people' find out she has the book, they're both in grave danger. He tells her to meet him at a central train station at rush hour.

Session 4 had the most mind-boggling prep, as the player had 4 allied mages in the vicinity in case shit went down and was flanked by an adept of Life and Matter (and punching). They'd created a fake copy of the book in question and veiled their nimbus. They played the part of sleeper-courier perfectly, drawing the mystery man out (he was hiding under a wheely-bin in shadow form and communicating with invisible runes in the air). Though the Arrow got the drop on him, he'd come prepared with an amped up warding spell, so any attempt to target him magically was up against a 6 withstand rating. He tries to flee into a dark tunnel, the player counter-spelling everytime he tries to fling any Death spells at them, until the Arrow finally manages to encase him in a ball of concrete (though not before taking 4 aggravated damage from a withering spell).

Finally the backup arrives and with their powers combined get his warding dispelled so that he can be safely turned into a briefcase. They scrutinise him on the way to the Arrow ice-box, discovering that -gasp- he's been eating souls!

Next session will involve entering the lich's Oneiros, because something fucky is going on with his memories and they need to find out a) where the third volume of their split grimoire is and b) why/how they were using the deceased Arrow's nimbus.

So now I've got to decide how convoluted I want to get. The rough idea I have sketched out is that this lower-ranked lich (a Tremere, no less), has been sent on a mission by their princeps to find a lost House of Tremere. Do I say that their mind has been warped by their superiors implanting missions in them? By the death-sleep (kaoimaomai) they've had to go under so frequently to stay under the radar? Abyssal intrusion into their Oneiros from risking too much paradox?

Radddddd, an Oneiric dive is something I've wanted to run in Mage for years and the opportunity never came up.

I feel like the answer to your question is how sympathetic or at least tragic you want your soul-eating monster man to be. Having missions shoved in his mind by the Tremere, being programmed maybe against his will like Jason Bourne, makes him at least a little bit of a victim. On the other hand, if he's all gunked up with Abyssal taint from tossing Paradox around, fuck him.

having thought this over while putting together a playlist of tom waits songs for the journey, i'm gonna go with a mix of koimaomai weirdness (seems in keeping with it's cousin, torpor) and abyssal extra-weirdness.

because how is this song not from the perspective of an acamoth invader?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wrw-ojKZtE

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

The COIN series is genuinely notable in that it's very clearly someone in the know making a 'wargame' about how war is a fucking myth compared to the political hellhole dealings these days.

Like it's grim and depressing as shit but yeah, if you wanna talk political board games COIN is definitely really a key thing of the last decade.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Our group fought some djinn and ended up with a couple wishes, any good suggestions? Knowing they will almost certainly be twisted into uselessness/harm?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Wish that sucker into a lamp and get yourself a daily summon.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Turkey sandwich, on rye bread, with lettuce, and mustard, and... I don't want any zombie turkies, I don't wanna turn into a turkey myself, and I don't want any more weird surprises.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Wish for a spectral carriage that drives itself and a really nice top hat.

It’s... it’s all I’ve ever truly wanted.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    But tell the you don’t want the turkey to be dry.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Wish that sucker into a lamp and get yourself a daily summon.

That is wildly evil and completely against my character...but also a really good idea, so I will recommend it to the group in our out of game chat.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to play d&d as DM but no one ever finished making their characters and now I'm pretty sure interest has fallen off entirely... :(

Uriel wrote: »
    I want to play d&d as DM but no one ever finished making their characters and now I'm pretty sure interest has fallen off entirely... :(

Crack that whip! Sometimes there’s a hump you have to get your players over.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    But tell the you don’t want the turkey to be dry.

Why? Dry turkey is pretty awesome.
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I wanna make a Warforge Monk who was sent with a small contingency of troops to eliminate a group of monks during the war but instead fell in love with their ideas of beauty and philosophy and dedicated the next hundred or so years to joining them and meditation. When the last of the monks finally passes away he decides to go back into the world, to seek the true, living version of himself. He will be a Monk of the Astral Body and his astral form will slowly begin to look like him as a human. With big hair and a sweet jacket.

His name is "He Who Seeks Truth Of Self"

I was thinking earlier today of making a warforged monk based on the angel 82 White Chain Born in Emptiness Returns to Subdue Evil from "Kill Six Billion Demons." Like a martial artist peacekeeper that follows a strict personal code

JtgVX0H.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Our group fought some djinn and ended up with a couple wishes, any good suggestions? Knowing they will almost certainly be twisted into uselessness/harm?

Hire a lawyer.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Alternatively there’s systems that are lighter and include character generation on the sheet like Mothership so you don’t need to ‘whip crack’ a social activity.

Character idea: TR-808 (“Bob”), a warforged bard.

You might say he's a drum machine.

Alternatively there’s systems that are lighter and include character generation on the sheet like Mothership so you don’t need to ‘whip crack’ a social activity.

No. These are players that would think any other game that isn't d&d is some hipster shit.

It’s a figure of speech. Sometimes groups need reminders in order to get a game off the ground.

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Do a big belch right in the DM's face and then wish for more wishes.

I read that as "a big blecch" and now I'm imagining Alfred E Nuemann as a rpg character.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    My friend made the mistake of having me play in his game rather than DM, so now he has to contend with Zak "Beef" Huggins, a halfling monk adventuring to save the rec center.

Zak is proficient in glassblowing and playing the bongos. I am also buying a 3-legged chihuahua named Beans. Trying to get him to let me a: reflavor my darts as hackeysacks and b: reskin any healing potions I buy as nacho supremes. He is very upset about Beef...

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Cool, have fun pissing off the guy who's taking the time to run something for you, I guess :?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    Cool, have fun pissing off the guy who's taking the time to run something for you, I guess :?

I mean hopefully astrobstrd knows their friend and the person's limits and isn't just kind of taking a deuce on the social contract but in general I just find this conception of "D&D" that seems to mostly consist of coming up with gimmick characters to recount as a joke on a forum kind of exhausting after a while

like how long is a character with a name like Farty McMurderpants actually funny? I guess I feel like if the real joy is in your friend group one-upping each other with outrageous gags you could be playing Jackbox or Telestrations or something

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    Best character names are obscure references that people probably won't notice because it would involve reading the 1000 word backstory that you put up on the shared Wiki page and/or knowing a different language

Best character names are obscure references that people probably won't notice because it would involve reading the 1000 word backstory that you put up on the shared Wiki page and/or knowing a different language

Let me tell you about my kenku called Ruffle Crowe.

I stand corrected

• GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    i feel like d&d, being a generic fantasy thing with deep cultural touchstones, demands that characters be exceptional and quirky in some way to escape being generic and overplayed

that ends up being either po-faced lonewolf duel-longsword OCs, or jokey funtime characters. yes, you can thread the needle and find something outside those, but they're both big holes that are easy to slide into.

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular

I mean hopefully astrobstrd knows their friend and the person's limits and isn't just kind of taking a deuce on the social contract but in general I just find this conception of "D&D" that seems to mostly consist of coming up with gimmick characters to recount as a joke on a forum kind of exhausting after a while

like how long is a character with a name like Farty McMurderpants actually funny? I guess I feel like if the real joy is in your friend group one-upping each other with outrageous gags you could be playing Jackbox or Telestrations or something

I mean...I'm also going to be the only adult playing with 2 kid PCs. I wanted to make a character that wasn't directly driving the plot and wouldn't be expected to make crucial story decisions. Meatballs Bill Murray meets Failure to Launch McConaughey seemed like a good way to do that while also ensuring I wouldn't be bored playing grimdark fighter #30.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Had a friend join one of our in-progress games as a blue goblin warlock with a bat familiar. His gobbo was named Sir Ender, his bat was named Niel, and he eventually acquired a pony that he named Ordie.

He's been a delight to play with because he's great at staying in character and being comedy relief, and he also does voices and stuff.

JtgVX0H.png
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

I agree in principal.

But one of my favorite characters was a conjuration Wizard in Pathfinder: Jayne Majesticpower (of the Magnamarian Majesticpowers!) and his Raven familiar Quothe.

Jayne had a big personality, a desire to create a brand new spell, and could teleport around and control a battlefield like no other.

Quothe could speak Aklo.

So Forum Joke, referency joke, and joke joke, all in one character. But they weren't the entirety of his being.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I would immediately kick a player out of my game if they rolled up and had just straight up made faux Jim Darkmagic, sorry.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Well I just got to briefly roleplay as my deceased Blood Hunter in our Curse of Strahd campaign, talking to their husband from beyond the grave as a spirit trapped in the mists that surround Barovia.

Robin was killed during a terrible fight we had after being ambushed by werewolves... and the first thing they said? It was to express regret and anguish that they didn't see the ambush coming. They trained their whole life to fight the undead and aberrations like lycanthropes, and yet they didn't see them coming at all. They failed their husband, they think, and have now left them alone in this accursed, terrible, land, away from everything else the couple held dear.

I actually threw so much of myself into it that I nearly made myself start crying, welp.

Also my Paladin cast Find Steed, reaching out to their patron deities of Pelor and Lathander for another blessing of their power... But clearly Strahd's influence on the land still clouds her connection to the gods of Sun, Light and Renewal, and instead of a Warhorse blazing with the fury of the sun... a skeletal horse, the remains of a mighty yet long dead steed, tore its way up out of the ground to become my steed. It's still a celestial being, and understands me, and is calm and friendly... But it's obviously a bit offputting to the rest of the party.

I named the horse "Coral", because much like the great barrier reef of Australia, something that should be vibrant and full of life under the sun... is becoming a bleached graveyard, a testament to the corruption that seeps through the land of Barovia.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    My skeleton horse was called Daisy and she was a good horse who used to watch me sleep unnervingly

She got eaten by a Roc and was replaced by Sunshine, a fully normal flesh horse. Sunshine was, however, a dick. I missed Daisy.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I generally fall on the side of not making goofy joke characters, but then I remember I did play a campaign where half my characters (I died a lot) had joke names.

There was Dustin "Dusty" Brown, the stableboy turned trailblazer with his trusty steed Rose; and Bear the dwarven ranger who fought with his animal companion, the bear Hans; and a character who died in the session he was introduced that I can't remember the name of, but was along the lines of Jeremy Clark Haversham the Third, based off of a real person who actually introduced himself at an audition that way (my DM was also my director).

They were all still fairly well-adjusted normal characters beyond their names though. Bear was probably the most of a joke out of them, because I played him as a growly idiot, but he only lasted a couple weeks anyways, I think he died in the same dungeon he was introduced in.

Straightzi on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I would immediately kick a player out of my game if they rolled up and had just straight up made faux Jim Darkmagic, sorry.

The name was definitely a nod, but the personalities were completely different. It's half the DMs fault for mentioning a large family shipping company in Magnamar called Majesticpower Shipping during the session 0 character building time.

...I think it may have actually been Majestic Power-Shipping or something in his notes, but since he only talked about it orally, I ran with the idea that Jayne Majesticpower ran off to wizard college against his fathers wishes. Jayne wanted to do cool things to help people, not go into the family business, and how could he not at least try to be a wizard with a name like Majesticpower?

We had a cool family arc planned out that we nibbled at a bit during some other stuff, but I had to move before we got into it so Jayne's exit from the campaign was Gandalf-ian with the whole collapsing a cave entrance to hold off the hordes pursuing the party and recently rescued prisoners. They waited for Jayne and Quothe to teleport back like they'd done a dozen times before but no poof of smoke came.

Besides, Quothe was just a familiar, but was basically a separate mini-character since she could talk. But it's good to know you'd boot me from a table just for a name reference.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam