As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tom Clancy's [The Division] 2: The Division x Resident Evil Crossover Feb 2 - 15

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The other thing about skill mods is that it basically requires you to keep a fucking library of skill mods (which share space with gear mods) to account for different skill power requirements. They should just have mods give a bonus to a thing, with the bonus automatically scaling to skill power (maybe with minimums or tier thresholds) with the differentiation being maybe better mods have better scaling factors, or multiple bonuses, like with gear mods.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The other thing about skill mods is that it basically requires you to keep a fucking library of skill mods (which share space with gear mods) to account for different skill power requirements. They should just have mods give a bonus to a thing, with the bonus automatically scaling to skill power (maybe with minimums or tier thresholds) with the differentiation being maybe better mods have better scaling factors, or multiple bonuses, like with gear mods.

Also rework a bunch of skills right now that are just meh. Like the firefly drone or pulse (give me that god damn medic pulse the black tusk use holy shit).

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Yeah, some kind of fixed value tied to rarity would probably be better for the skill mods.

But! The mods are tricky and all over the place atm anyway. The across the board adjustments didn't necessarily fix things so much as make things weird with our existing mods.

I have a purple +1 ammo mod that I got long ago, that only costs me ~400 skill to use. I have a purple, higher gear score +1 ammo mod for a thing that costs like 1.1k, and another HE +1 ammo mod that's like 1.5k... and it's like... why would I ever use the higher gear score mods? Not to mention the lack of rarity selection in crafting skill mods, which they are aware of.

I kind of think it'd be better if they nuked all our mods and started over with some kind of normalcy vs what they did.

edit: I like firefly, but it needs like twice the base range to be usable, or just auto targeting... I couldn't even target the sledge rushers in the morgue with it.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I've said this before, skill mods should give a base bonus that gets enhanced based on your skill power. Having to keep numerous cooldown reduction mods based on their power requirements is extremely clunky.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    There is also an issue with armor mods that blue low level quality ones are superior to high end ones for stats. Whover is in charge of itemization at massive is just I dunno at this point.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Yeah, some kind of fixed value tied to rarity would probably be better for the skill mods.

But! The mods are tricky and all over the place atm anyway. The across the board adjustments didn't necessarily fix things so much as make things weird with our existing mods.

I have a purple +1 ammo mod that I got long ago, that only costs me ~400 skill to use. I have a purple, higher gear score +1 ammo mod for a thing that costs like 1.1k, and another HE +1 ammo mod that's like 1.5k... and it's like... why would I ever use the higher gear score mods? Not to mention the lack of rarity selection in crafting skill mods, which they are aware of.

I kind of think it'd be better if they nuked all our mods and started over with some kind of normalcy vs what they did.

edit: I like firefly, but it needs like twice the base range to be usable, or just auto targeting... I couldn't even target the sledge rushers in the morgue with it.

It also needs better pathfinding because it has a tendency to slam itself into crates or tiny posts that should have easily avoidable.

As far as auto targeting, it will auto target weakpoints or skill proxies, but hammer bros have neither.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I was trying to blind them

edit: it could also be that I had the wrong mode picked.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I dont think I’ve been able to activate either of my skill mods since their “Fix”.

Gear mods are fucking all over the place too.

Also how can you mention exotics underperforming and not even mention Pestilence? Like what the fuck is the point of the damn thing?

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I dont think I’ve been able to activate either of my skill mods since their “Fix”.

Gear mods are fucking all over the place too.

Also how can you mention exotics underperforming and not even mention Pestilence? Like what the fuck is the point of the damn thing?

To get people into the dark zone to get chunked by rogues?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I was trying to blind them

edit: it could also be that I had the wrong mode picked.

Hah, fair enough. I constantly forget that other variants of skills exist.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That would work better if the exotic wasnt a useless pile of garbage.

• Options
    That would work better if the exotic wasnt a useless pile of garbage.

Never underestimate peoples desire to be a completionist.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Do saved loadouts remember which variant of a skill you're using?

• Options
    Do saved loadouts remember which variant of a skill you're using?

I believe so.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Re skill and gear mods:

Could be they are trying to address those strange rounding errors (like blues having better stats at lower cost than yellows) by saying they will also let you craft "worse" mods. Which could work out, as we literally have players making alts now to farm low level mods because they have better stats.

I do like the principal of what they are going for, but everyone copy pasted that from Diablo 2, where it was situational anyway. Basically, the same way gear score means an item can potentially roll better stats, a blue gets higher rolls for a single stat but that's supposed to be balanced by a yellow having more stats. The problem is, in Diablo 2 there were a bunch of different stats that are worthwhile, so that system does balance out. In most other games, div2 included, only a few stats matter. If you could have all blues that were +6% primary weapon damage, why would you give that up for +1.5% damage and 2% weapon handling? All armour, health, and most utility mods are also worthless, so of course people would prefer a level 16 green mod that is 5% weapon damage but can be slotted anywhere. I'm still using a level 14 blue mod because it has 2% total armour and that beats every single 500gs yellow armour mod I can slot combined.

So what I'm saying is, I'm probably still making an alt to farm low level dark zone when I get home

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Speaking of loadouts, why when I save a loadout does it say 11/12 equipped? I just saved it! It's 12/12!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    ... How low level are we talking to get these blue mods?

Having 6% LMG/AR/SMG damage blue generic mods (that can be put in yellow slots) would open some really damaging builds for me.

Just stupid that level 500 High end mods cant even roll anything as good.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    People are rushing to level 15-20 range and then farming dark zone (so they don't gain xp and still get plenty of drops). You can get blues and greens there that are generic, so can slot anywhere, and roll 4-6% individual weapon damage. There are videos and such Talkin about it if you Google "division 2 blue mods"

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Weird how scattered info is for such a popular game. I keep reading and hearing references to data that I cannot source. For example, people say that "optimist" scales differently depending on the weapon (makes sense), but what are the numbers? Can't find them.

stream
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    What do you mean by scales differently? It's supposed to go up every ten percent remaining, correct? Depending on the size of the magazine weapon, the rate of scale would vary a lot.

One thing that would modify it could be the bonus rounds? Does it only kick in during the base remaining? Does an uptick only trigger once even if multiple increments happen at once?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    May have been confusing myself because there were buggy in-game descriptions

stream
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Speaking of loadouts, why when I save a loadout does it say 11/12 equipped? I just saved it! It's 12/12!

I suspect there is some sort of 12th gear slot coming, but who knows.
    On the apparel screen there is also an empty box that could be some new thing in an xpac maybe.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Plainly that's the flashlight slot.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    you jest, but i think it the datamines there is (was) some sort of flashlight weapon mod

stream
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    So I just rolled into the middle of the true sons and outcasts fighting over a control point, and

1) you can't call your buddies into a three way brawl.
    2) because I cleared it out, I think they are casually walking to the CP now from the Campus... (500m away)

so now I have to wait for them to show up...

and now I have to wait for them to stop milling and claim this base in the name of Campus.

edit: true sons decided to attack the CP and after fending their patrol off, the team decided that they would in fact take the base.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So I just rolled into the middle of the true sons and outcasts fighting over a control point, and

1) you can't call your buddies into a three way brawl.
    2) because I cleared it out, I think they are casually walking to the CP now from the Campus... (500m away)

so now I have to wait for them to show up...

and now I have to wait for them to stop milling and claim this base in the name of Campus.

edit: true sons decided to attack the CP and after fending their patrol off, the team decided that they would in fact take the base.

i ended up in the same situation the other day. it took so damn long, i resolved that next time i'd go take a different cp first THEN take the one i wanted once the two factions figured their shit out

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely going to to do that now, and if I attack a CP and it's almost done before they arrive, just wait to kill the last guy.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

This is where I get to show a different point of view again. I'm finding the "best" skills to use the in DZ are the shooty drone and the shield. I can pop the drone and send it after someone and they can't just ignore it. It does -loads- of damage, usually a few thousand per bullet, and because it's a tiny little moving target they have to give it attention, usually from an angle that I'm -not- in. Which means I can focus on hitting them in the back of the head. And the shield block more than enough damage to allow for a straight-up shootout in many cases.

I guess my point is more-or-less what Preacher said upthread. One-size-fits-all balancing isn't going to work.

On another note, is there going to be scheduled maintenance tonight in addition to the 3 hours they were down last night? I actually had a spare hour but the servers were down so I started watching Ultraman on netflix instead...

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

This is where I get to show a different point of view again. I'm finding the "best" skills to use the in DZ are the shooty drone and the shield. I can pop the drone and send it after someone and they can't just ignore it. It does -loads- of damage, usually a few thousand per bullet, and because it's a tiny little moving target they have to give it attention, usually from an angle that I'm -not- in. Which means I can focus on hitting them in the back of the head. And the shield block more than enough damage to allow for a straight-up shootout in many cases.

I guess my point is more-or-less what Preacher said upthread. One-size-fits-all balancing isn't going to work.

On another note, is there going to be scheduled maintenance tonight in addition to the 3 hours they were down last night? I actually had a spare hour but the servers were down so I started watching Ultraman on netflix instead...

Not really sure how that follows my post that the mods are tricky and all over the place, or that their adjustments didn't just make things weird with our current mods?

Another example of what I was taking about would be the Vac Pack mode for Firefly... I have the following copies of it:

GS 240 Superior: +1 Max Targets (498 SPR)
    GS 240 Superior: +1 Max Targets (741 SPR)
    GS 276 High End: +1 Max Targets (666 SPR)
    GS 386 Superior: +1 Max Targets (741 SPR)

o_o

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Also, tonight I unlocked the Distinguished Service Distinction. yay! I can not play this game for a night or two. <3<3<3

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Nah, I agree that mods are all over the place. Even at my lowbie level 30, I'm seeing the exact same thing.

I guess I was reacting more to your final (edited) line about firefly needing a boost. It made me think about some of the skills that people are calling useless or underpowered and how, in a different situation, they really aren't. I mean, maybe there is a gameplay situation where the current firefly design absolutely shines! I'm not aware of one, but there might be, you know?

26904.png
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Whee, good times. I've been getting a great deal of work out of Pulse, now that I'm running On The Ropes. Rare to spot in the wild.

It is not an ideal skill in terms of cooldown cycling, as it has a baked in delay after activation where it remains active, but I don't mind rear loading my weapon damage buff a little if it means my team can see exactly where the six baddies we missed tagging are hiding. The default range is distressing, but it is typically the fellows over yonder cover that are most likely to end you.

With six charges in my Healing Launcher I'm free to drop them every time I engage, when I feel lonely, if a team mate is visibly suicidal, when I'm on fire, whatever. It's great. I go whole hog and stack goo with Patience. Somehow I still go through armor plates. I plainly don't play safe at all.

My fight routine must look odd.
    Salute Ash from Housewares with Sawn Off Shotgun.
    Ready LMG The First.
    Drop goo.
    Drop goo.
    Pulse baddies.
    Drop goo in cover.
    Grenade baddies.
    Unload LMG The First.
    Drop goo.
    Unload LMG The Second.
    Load Sawn Off, Salute Ash From Housewares.
    Unload LMG The First... 

The holster perk wot reloads all guns when you reload one is glorious.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    I kind of like that the exotics in div2 have little puzzles around them. There are a bunch of things like that that make it interesting. Now people have figured out the masks and the keys, and it's just a waiting game for the exotic sniper rifle, hopefully they move on to figuring out the old war bunker and any possible connection it has to the Underground faction. The devs haven't said anything, so I assume the quest does go somewhere and isn't bugged out.

What does annoy me is the way they made certain blueprints gated to weeklies but also randomized them. There's a mod for shotguns thats+20% reload speed, the exact one I need, and I have zero ways of getting it other than hoping that it drops next week. And if it doesn't, I have to keep waiting because once you do all the control point blueprints they stop dropping because that's a separate pool for some reason. Some poor sap out there got the shotgun mod and is cursing the devs because all he wants is that +20 rounds mod and I'll get that but we've no way to trade. It's dumb.

+20% reload speed spring is a Control Point blueprint.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I FINALLY GOT BOOMERANG! (the general forum math is that with a normal crit chance it will proc in about 1 in 3 bullets)

1886 went from 800-900k deeps to 1.2milllllllon. :D
    And because this game is dumb, once i got it once it dropped like 4 times and i got one on an mk17...... but it had a low damage roll (womp womp)

The issue im having now is..... 'when to hand load' and 'when to keep shooting' as the proc is a barely visible blink on the ammo counter. I now never know how many are in the chamber :)

I am super concerned that running the 1886 will hinder my crew at higher levels (heroic)- but i do big numbers quickly.... and the gunplay forces me to the back where i buff the rest in front of me. And to aim gud.

Also- Roosevelt island's last fight with pugs turns me into this guy.... its the only thing in the game that gets me tilted....

Dev thoughts "Lets make a 20 minute fight with no checkpoints and the final wave of purple and gold will come from behind. The players will love it."

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    There is value in burst deeps, just as there is in suppressing those four dudes over there, or being in a position to toss heals or make calls. Sounds like you're having a good time!

I'm toying with grabbing a higher burst lmg for my second slot. My primary does great sustain, but now and then I want to kill a rusher. I /really/ want that rusher dead. And also the second rusher right behind them. Gotta examine my high fire rate low mag options.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I just need a damn backpack for the true patriot set. But no said the man in washington it belongs to the poor!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I want those blue mods but I'm afraid I might burn out on the game if I try to make an alt just for that, who the hell designed a system were generic blue mods at low levels are the strongest and didnt see an issue with this?

That HE mods always split stats in 3 parts is not in its own favor, more often than not 1-2 parts of the 3 is something you dont really want.

• Options
    I want those blue mods but I'm afraid I might burn out on the game if I try to make an alt just for that, who the hell designed a system were generic blue mods at low levels are the strongest and didnt see an issue with this?

That HE mods always split stats in 3 parts is not in its own favor, more often than not 1-2 parts of the 3 is something you dont really want.

I wouldn't bother, they'll probably fix that before they fix why people want those mods.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    There is value in burst deeps, just as there is in suppressing those four dudes over there, or being in a position to toss heals or make calls. Sounds like you're having a good time!

I'm toying with grabbing a higher burst lmg for my second slot. My primary does great sustain, but now and then I want to kill a rusher. I /really/ want that rusher dead. And also the second rusher right behind them. Gotta examine my high fire rate low mag options.

I was doing a Bounty in a park last nite and all of the Mooks-- all of them-- came at me down the same sidewalk. "It can't be this easy, can it ?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsuSpei9cf8