As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Enlighten me about power supplies

LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm trying to put together a PC for someone, and, while I did this a number of times back in the day of Socket A and Pentium 4, the new technology presents some problems for me. Namely, I see all kinds of power supply specifications available at Newegg, and the only requirement I know for my current project is that it fit in an ATX case, (and preferably support SLI, even though I'm only buying one video card initially, for added value). What does all that other stuff mean (e.g. what is "ATX12V"?), and what do I need, or how do I find out what I need? I'm not even sure how to figure out a desirable wattage, though I'd probably figure 500 to be safe.

I don't want to sit on my thumbs for a month RMA-ing components and paying 15% restocking fees because I bought a PSU without the right connectors, or worse, frying components. I already ran into trouble on my last build when I discovered SATA needed a special connector, and I keep hearing murmurs of more technical worries on tech sites that I comprehend not at all.

LoneIgadzra on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Bump

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would imagine all the new power supplies work with all the new components. The ATX12V thing is another plug on the motherboard. All the new motherboards I've used had it and all the new power supplies I've used provided it. Like the regular plug, it's asymmetrical, so you can't screw it up. Just make sure it's plugged securely.

If you're eventually going SLI, you definitely want 500+ watts.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    PSUs aren't much different from what you did during the P4 era. Just pick up an ATX powersupply (make sure it has the pin for SLi which is usually noted) and anywhere above 500W is fine.

I'd pick up an Antec because of their reliability, but a few clicks around newegg.com and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The biggest thing I know about the current technology and power supplies is that, in the cases of your higher end graphics cards, you'll need to meet the cards' minimum specs. The ATI x800 I had in 2005 needed a 350 Watt. The x1600 I bought to replace it with needed 400 Watts (More?). I'm not certain if CPUs have reached the point of needing hefty power supplies like this, but between the CPU, DVD/CD, MB, and the crapton of fans needed to keep a machine cool, you'll be looking at something nasty.

Regardless, one of the brands I've found to be the most reliable is Antec. Some will say they suck, though. If you're building a current generation gaming rig, anything less than 500 Watts is gonna cause some system shutdowns and possibly shorts. Some will likely say more.

Doronron on
  • Options
    wave_existencewave_existence Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I just wanted to emphasize how important it is to have a decent PSU. If you buy a shitty power supply, it will fuck up. Cheap PSUs are notoriously unreliable.
    Antec PSUs are excellent.

wave_existence on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How much do you want to spend?

If you want to get something high end for him then your choice is simple:

Corsair 520

- $10 Google Checkout and free shipping you have one of the best PSUs on the market for $85.

I just put one in the machine I built a couple of weeks ago and it is wonderful, deserves it's high recommendations from people that it gets. Silent, solid, and the detachable cords are wonderful to keep clutter down.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If we're talking brands, I've used Enermax for years and they've been the most reliable part of my computers. :P Also, if you can afford it, modular power supplies are awesome for keeping your case interior organized.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I just wanted to emphasize how important it is to have a decent PSU. If you buy a shitty power supply, it will fuck up. Cheap PSUs are notoriously unreliable.
    Antec PSUs are excellent.

I just had an antec go balls up on me after 8 months of use.
    I replaced it with this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182044
    Great PSU so far.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanks for the info!

LoneIgadzra on