As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Million To One Shot Now Odds On Favourite

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

The Telegraph can exclusively reveal that... no-deal Brexit might be a bad thing after all. Thanks, Telegraph. Thanks.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    But what about all the good things that we'll get from a no-deal brexit? Why is no-one reporting on those?
    You know, like uh... Hmm...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    they are positioning for either getting eu to make concessions or the general election so this is their only politically viable play if they want to have a hope of getting back the brexit party votes

Yep. Boris needs to be seen as willing to leave on no deal to keep Farage from being a spoiler if the government is brought down. Boris also needs to be seen as wanting a deal in order to keep on the fence conservatives from defecting to the Lib Dems. I think we have 4 possibilities which I can't begin to rank since there are so many balls in the air and so much palace intrigue prediction is impossible.

1. No deal Brexit
    2. EU blinks and Brexit on revised "no backstop" deal
    3. Tory remainers team up with opposition to bring down government and a non Tory gets to form new government and sets up a new referendum
    4. Tory remainers team up with opposition to bring down government and Boris gets to form government which leads back to 1.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    But what about all the good things that we'll get from a no-deal brexit? Why is no-one reporting on those?

Northern Ireland should get an increased demand for fencing and small booths.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Blue passports!
    Innovative jams!
    MUH FREEEDUM SOVEREIGNTY!

• Options
    PantsB wrote: »

Northern Ireland should get an increased demand for fencing and small booths.
    Glaziers should see an uptick in business from all the broken windows after bombings, too.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    they are positioning for either getting eu to make concessions or the general election so this is their only politically viable play if they want to have a hope of getting back the brexit party votes

Yep. Boris needs to be seen as willing to leave on no deal to keep Farage from being a spoiler if the government is brought down. Boris also needs to be seen as wanting a deal in order to keep on the fence conservatives from defecting to the Lib Dems. I think we have 4 possibilities which I can't begin to rank since there are so many balls in the air and so much palace intrigue prediction is impossible.

1. No deal Brexit
    2. EU blinks and Brexit on revised "no backstop" deal
    3. Tory remainers team up with opposition to bring down government and a non Tory gets to form new government and sets up a new referendum
    4. Tory remainers team up with opposition to bring down government and Boris gets to form government which leads back to 1.

I cannot even begin to consider 2 as a realistic possibility. Only in the wildest empire fetishists wet dreams.

• Options
    Apparently bookies are giving something like 55% odds that Nigel is going to be the next PM.
    We were in the darkest timeline, this is now infra-black.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Apparently bookies are giving something like 55% odds that Nigel is going to be the next PM.

Fuck me.... When you thought the world has hit rock bottom, some people just break out the shovels.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Blue passports!
    Innovative jams!

also:
    350m pounds for the NHS per year week.
    No immigrants and anyone that isn't up to snuff will be deported.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Blue passports!
    Innovative jams!

also:
    350m pounds for the NHS per year week.
    No immigrants and anyone that isn't up to snuff will be deported.

Oh, but those *****s who run the corner chip shop, they're all right, they can stay. They're "good ones."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    @Commander Zoom that's legitimately a slur, please do not use that term.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Oops, sorry. Meant to mock, but lacked full context (different culture), didn't check or educate myself, went too far. Fixed. Sorry.

Fuck. :(

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    This does remind me of the Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch with Rowan Atkinson at a Tory Party Conference:
    "Now, I like curry. But now that we've got the recipe, is there any reason for them to still be here?"

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

This is something I didn’t consider as even a remote possibility.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Boris left his meeting with Nicola Sturgeon via the backdoor to avoid protesters boo'ing his ass again as they did when he arrived.

(Lynsey Bews is a BBC Scotland Correspondent)

Sturgeon said she can't recall a time when any visiting head of government has done so. So of course now people are calling him Back door Boris and asking how he intends to negotiate with the EU if he skulks off when faced with angry Scots. Good job limiting the bad press in a meeting that was ever going to go well Boris.

Sturgeon doesn't even have to try with this fool.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Cue Boris coming up with a new hobby involving back doors.

• Options

I really want to agree with you, but I'd have said that about a lot of things in the last few years and been wrong each time.

But the reality is that if Brexit doesn't implode massively and publicly before an election, the Brexit Party is probably going to get a large chunk of the vote (and the number of people who'll double down and say that any implosion is down to us not brexiting hard enough is probably a lot higher than any of us would like to consider), so we're probably looking at a coalition Tory/Brexit Party government.
    I wouldn't be shocked* if BP got more votes than the Tories judging by how the MEP election went, which would put Nigel in Number 10.

*Horrifically depressed, yes. Shocked, no.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Cue Boris coming up with a new hobby involving back doors.

He's quite into infosec

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I scoffed at the idea of Farage becoming PM a couple of years ago but now there's a definite path to Number 10 for him, and all everyone else has to do is what they've been doing: Johnson promising the Earth and then delivering nothing, Corbyn being useless, etc.

• Options
    It's not as impossible as it was a few years ago but I also think it's slightly hysterical to consider it a realistic possibility. EU elections are not good indicators of voting intention for GEs and giving UKIP more weight than it ever deserved is how we arrived at this mess in the first place.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    There’s some talk that Johnson might have a phone call with Varadkar today. They haven’t spoken yet.

For the record, that’s not at all normal. Every Prime Minister speaks with the Taoiseach within two days of being elected.

Hugh is the political editor of the Irish Independent

Something else to note. This is from the CEO of a communications advisory firm in the UK. There’s nothing to go on but his word, but he’s claiming to have dined with several top Tory Party members and to have noticed a very particular attitude.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    What exactly are they expecting "the Irish" (which seems an insulting way of putting things, why not say "Ireland" or "the Irish government"? Rhetorical question, moving on.) to blink on? The backstop? The freaking thing that's there to minimize the economic pain to both Ireland and Northern Ireland, not to mention the whole murderous violence thing that left 3,500 people dead (mostly in NI). I mean what the hell? What possible reason would there be for Ireland to back off on the backstop? It's good for Ireland, it's better for Northern Ireland, and removing it hurts both countries with zero upside. Except for the idiot Brexit types who want to Brexit and don't care who dies in the process.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ireland is expected to do what it's told. Any attempt by Ireland to act like a real country is resented by Johnson and his ilk. It's there to be cowed, obedient and like it.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »
    What exactly are they expecting "the Irish" (which seems an insulting way of putting things, why not say "Ireland" or "the Irish government"? Rhetorical question, moving on.) to blink on? The backstop? The freaking thing that's there to minimize the economic pain to both Ireland and Northern Ireland, not to mention the whole murderous violence thing that left 3,500 people dead (mostly in NI). I mean what the hell? What possible reason would there be for Ireland to back off on the backstop? It's good for Ireland, it's better for Northern Ireland, and removing it hurts both countries with zero upside. Except for the idiot Brexit types who want to Brexit and don't care who dies in the process.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

• Options
    The irony here is that we can’t blink even if we wanted to. If we gave in completely, if we scrapped the backstop... it would solve nothing. The UK leaves in less than three months. Free movement of goods, services and people ends in less than three months. Businesses both sides of the border start losing transport routes and markets in less than three months.

Boris Johnson and his cronies are waiting on Varadkar to budge, but they haven’t noticed they haven’t actually left him anywhere to go.

• Options
    The irony here is that we can’t blink even if we wanted to. If we gave in completely, if we scrapped the backstop... it would solve nothing. The UK leaves in less than three months. Free movement of goods, services and people ends in less than three months. Businesses both sides of the border start losing transport routes and markets in less than three months.

Boris Johnson and his cronies are waiting on Varadkar to budge, but they haven’t noticed they haven’t actually left him anywhere to go.

As far as I can tell, blinking wouldn't even get Ireland anything. No Deal and No Backstop would seem to have very similar impact on the Republic of Ireland, with No Deal being even worse for the UK as a whole (never mind NI getting rekked by it). The RoI backing off on the backstop would just seem to be getting nothing in return for sorta keeping the pain concentrated in the general area of Ireland.

The UK (or at least Tory) position on this seems to be an even stupider version of the thinking that had them pushing the threat of no-deal in order to try and get concessions from the EU.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

I really want to agree with you, but I'd have said that about a lot of things in the last few years and been wrong each time.

But the reality is that if Brexit doesn't implode massively and publicly before an election, the Brexit Party is probably going to get a large chunk of the vote (and the number of people who'll double down and say that any implosion is down to us not brexiting hard enough is probably a lot higher than any of us would like to consider), so we're probably looking at a coalition Tory/Brexit Party government.
    I wouldn't be shocked* if BP got more votes than the Tories judging by how the MEP election went, which would put Nigel in Number 10.

FPTP to the rescue!
    The folks at Electoral Calculus model potential results given current polling. Not just in terms of number of votes, but also where those votes are - which obviously matters right now. It appears from the generic polling that if BXP split the Tory vote, they also gain a total of...zero to one seats. Current numbers also have the Tories 15 short of a majority.

Make of that prediction what you will.

That said, they also have a section on polling error/swing further down, which is absolute nightmare fuel.

• Options
    CroakerBC wrote: »

FPTP to the rescue!
    The folks at Electoral Calculus model potential results given current polling. Not just in terms of number of votes, but also where those votes are - which obviously matters right now. It appears from the generic polling that if BXP split the Tory vote, they also gain a total of...zero to one seats. Current numbers also have the Tories 15 short of a majority.

That said, they also have a section on polling error/swing further down, which is absolute nightmare fuel.

Between Brexit, Trump, and the Australian elections, I've already got enough polling error fueled nightmares.

Worst thing about the risk of the Brexit Party getting Tory votes in a GE is that it might spur Boris to pull some sort of a Brexit at the end of October, on the quasi-logic that it'll be tough for the Brexit Party to get votes if Brexit has already happened.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

FPTP to the rescue!

Between Brexit, Trump, and the Australian elections, I've already got enough polling error fueled nightmares.

Worst thing about the risk of the Brexit Party getting Tory votes in a GE is that it might spur Boris to pull some sort of a Brexit at the end of October, on the quasi-logic that it'll be tough for the Brexit Party to get votes if Brexit has already happened.

Neither Brexit or Trump were polling errors afaik. Trump for sure wasn't.

shryke on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

FPTP to the rescue!

Neither Brexit or Trump were looking errors afaik. Trump for sure wasn't.

In the last moments, no. But a couple months out, they were pretty much seen as a forgone conclusion the other way. So much so, that more than a few people are on record as sitting out 2016 because it wouldn't matter, or voting FOR Brexit as a protest vote.

While that doesn't take away from the last minute polling, most people don't follow polling closely, and the media have proven to be negligent, if not complicit, in keeping the public less informed. By pushing narrative (horserace!) over providing facts.

People should be more informed. But they're not going to be.

• Options
    Well! Johnson and Varadkar finally had their phone call. It went about as well as you’d expect. Here’s the coverage from Ireland’s public broadcast news.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    MorganV wrote: »

FPTP to the rescue!

In the last moments, no. But a couple months out, they were pretty much seen as a forgone conclusion the other way. So much so, that more than a few people are on record as sitting out 2016 because it wouldn't matter, or voting FOR Brexit as a protest vote.

While that doesn't take away from the last minute polling, most people don't follow polling closely, and the media have proven to be negligent, if not complicit, in keeping the public less informed. By pushing narrative (horserace!) over providing facts.

Nah. Even months and months out Trump was plausible, just unlikely.

The thing to remember is that the edge of the margin of error is still within the margin of error.

Polling, assuming the data is actually available, has generally been fairly solid.

shryke on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

FPTP to the rescue!

The thing to remember is that the edge of the margin of error is still within the margin of error.

Polling, assuming the data is actually available, had generally been fairly solid.

i think the main difference would be the giant blind spot in 2016 where the Midwest and Rust Belt were taken for granted as reliably Democrat-leaning when that clearly was no longer the case and had been trending away from that for at least a decade before

i don't know if there are similar electoral oversights in the UK right now, especially considering recent national voting results showing pretty consistent trends

not saying PM Farage couldn't happen, but i don't think it's likely we'd see the same kind of "coming out of nowhere" like we did with Trump where it went from "laughably unlikely" to "holy shit we fucked up" almost literally overnight

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Well yeah, Boris Johnson and co. believe that anything that's not their rich white English Eton boys are colonial subjects who exist only to enrich the imperial masters like himself. This especially goes for the Scots, Welsh, Irish, and anybody else with a drop of non-English blood. Probably goes double for Varadkar since he's half-Indian in ancestry.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

FPTP to the rescue!

Polling, assuming the data is actually available, had generally been fairly solid.

i think the main difference would be the giant blind spot in 2016 where the Midwest and Rust Belt were taken for granted as reliably Democrat-leaning when that clearly was no longer the case and had been trending away from that for at least a decade before

i don't know if there are similar electoral oversights in the UK right now, especially considering recent national voting results showing pretty consistent trends

not saying PM Farage couldn't happen, but i don't think it's likely we'd see the same kind of "coming out of nowhere" like we did with Trump where it went from "laughably unlikely" to "holy shit we fucked up" almost literally overnight

I have the impression - which might have become very inaccurate over the past couple of years! - that UK political polling is massively amateurish compared to the USA's at the best of times. Certainly in a situation like we have right now where all assumptions should pretty much be left at the door then polls are going to be hugely prone to error.

One obvious example of something that's going to make polling models dodgy is the existence of the Brexit party. Do you just assume that all UKIP voters will migrate to it? But UKIP still exists. Maybe a percentage? What if their support amongst the electorate collapses just before the election for whatever reason? Do you base their level of support on their performance during the MEP elections? That's an issue because the relationship between performance in those elections and general elections has never been hugely strong.

There are a lot of variables, a lot of blanks to fill in, and for a lot of them the best guess is "fuck knows".

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

FPTP to the rescue!

I have the impression - which might have become very inaccurate over the past couple of years! - that UK political polling is massively amateurish compared to the USA's at the best of times. Certainly in a situation like we have right now where all assumptions should pretty much be left at the door then polls are going to be hugely prone to error.

One obvious example of something that's going to make polling models dodgy is the existence of the Brexit party. Do you just assume that all UKIP voters will migrate to it? But UKIP still exists. Maybe a percentage? What if their support amongst the electorate collapses just before the election for whatever reason? Do you base their level of support on their performance during the MEP elections? That's an issue because the relationship between performance in those elections and general elections has never been hugely strong.

There are a lot of variables, a lot of blanks to fill in, and for a lot of them the best guess is "fuck knows".

UK polling might be amateurish but the British Public are a pretty fickle bunch.

We had one election decided by a picture of a man eating a sandwich, and one by a nonsense slogan on a bus.
    Its hard to accurately predict what the hell the people will vote for.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    It's entirely possible there are other confounding factors. I only mean to say Trump's victory doesn't guarantee a need for concern about a potential Farage PMship. I don't think the situations are all that comparable outside of the "how the fuck could we let this happen?" similarity.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

FPTP to the rescue!

Part of the issue is that there's way more game theory with UK elections. Because they have multiple parties, and those parties all contest, it matters not just who you want to vote for, but who you think will win.

In AU, we have instant runoff, so I can vote for the party I want first, but if I'm wrong in picking a winner, my vote still counts towards the party I prefer, rather than the party I oppose. Our major conservative coalition takes it a step further, by having the two parties that make it up, not contest each other's seats, at least for the most part.

The US get around it, because they accept that FPTP doesn't really work for third party candidates (with a few exceptions), and so have settled onto the two-horse race, with third party votes most often being used to protest the two party system.

It's hard to predict a UK election, where 60% of the electorate are liberal and 40% are conservative, if there's one conservative candidate, but two liberal ones. If the electorate don't vote for one liberal over the other by more than double, the conservative wins.

So polling is a lot swingier, because any movement in polling or general sentiment might see people move towards the person they think is more likely to win, that reflects SOME of their values, rather than the candidate they'd prefer, because that's better than letting the candidate they don't want, because the votes got split.

• Options
    It's entirely possible there are other confounding factors. I only mean to say Trump's victory doesn't guarantee a need for concern about a potential Farage PMship. I don't think the situations are all that comparable outside of the "how the fuck could we let this happen?" similarity.

Not to mention political inertia is a thing, people don't vote in large numbers for brand new political parties, I would be a lot more worried if Farrage had managed to sieze control of the Tory party like trump did with the republicans.

This discussion has been closed.