As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Million To One Shot Now Odds On Favourite

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited July 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hey guys, let's all talk about politics in the UK and Ireland because that's fun and not at all like screaming into the orange doughnut black hole we've discovered millions of light years away that frankly sounds like a more fun place to be right now.
Now multiple polls have shown massive swings away from the Conservatives, here is the latest

This poll from the last page of the last thread indicates a splintering of support for the Tories as the Brexit Party (like UKIP, but with slightly less racism) leaps into the charts at number 6. Change UK keeps climbing at number 3, the Tories take a big fall back to number 2 but the new number 1 is an old favourite from the early eighties: it's Jeremy Corbyn's Labour.

They're here tonight, live in the studio, it's the band themselves with their smash hit, Stalin Wasn't All Bad, You Know!

Bogart on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I know what the scariest costume will be in Halloween

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Bogart wrote: »
    Hey guys, let's all talk about politics in the UK and Ireland because that's fun and not at all like screaming into the orange doughnut black hole we've discovered millions of light years away that frankly sounds like a more fun place to be right now.

Can't tell if this is a Trump joke or an astronomy joke.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    orange doughnut black hole

Can't tell if this is a Trump joke or an astronomy joke.

It's clearly both, as was Bogart's clever plan all along.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm uncomfortable with Labour getting a bump in support in the wake of the revelation that they are internally anti-Semitic.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm uncomfortable with Labour getting a bump in support in the wake of the revelation that they are internally anti-Semitic.

The poll shows them down three points. They're in the lead in that poll because the Tories are down by 10.

Also drawing a direct link between the anti-semitism and a boost in the polls (which doesn't exist) would probably require some supporting evidence.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Can I just say thank fuck that No Deal didn't happen today

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I'm going to London for a few days over Easter and I'm very happy that there will be food for me to eat.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

I'm currently on holiday in Donegal, if No Deal had happened we were going to cut short our holiday and dash across the border to (London)Derry.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »

I'm currently on holiday in Donegal, if No Deal had happened we were going to cut short our holiday and dash across the border to (London)Derry.

Fuel up in Bridge End first, it's cheaper and they take Sterling

Do that anyway

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Happy 21st birthday, Good Friday Agreement

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So where's Northern Ireland on the whole power-sharing/government thing? Last I remember hearing, there was no progress and no indication of any progress in the future?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    So where's Northern Ireland on the whole power-sharing/government thing? Last I remember hearing, there was no progress and no indication of any progress in the future?

Not much change.

• Options

As yet unresolved. So yes, while all this Brexit has been going on, Northern Ireland has been quietly left without a devolved government and is more or less back under direct rule.

Since January fucking 2017.

• Options

As yet unresolved. So yes, while all this Brexit has been going on, Northern Ireland has been quietly left without a devolved government and is more or less back under direct rule.

Respect, Honesty and Integrity

• Options
    Viz is often very good.

So we've got six months. Time enough to really buckle down and hammer out some sort of compromise in Parliament, hopefully put to a people's vote, but there isn't a second to lose!

Parliament is immediately buggering off for half hols at 5pm today.

• Options
    PS I know that MPs are massively stressed right now (the ones that aren't feckless wasters like Johnson or David Davis, anyway) and have taken to literally hiding in cupboards so they could probably do with a break.

• Options

So is there no failure state for this to trigger elections, or a way to just lock them all in a room until they show they've reached a decision by sending white smoke out of the chimney?

• Options
    So is there no failure state for this to trigger elections, or a way to just lock them all in a room until they show they've reached a decision by sending white smoke out of the chimney?

I think the government realises that setting absolute deadlines is a bad idea when you're dealing with nutters like the DUP, who take ultimatums as a challenge, so it'll just dribble along with no end in sight. So far I think we've had deadlines that then get pushed back and pushed back and essentially it feels like they're waiting for another election.

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    BBC News are reporting that Assange has been arrested!

*edit* Beat’d by one minute... damn mods and their damn absolute power.

There’s been some sort of prosecution of Wikileaks going on in the US for months now, under the radar for the most part. It’ll be interesting to see who steps up to charge him directly.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Wait, arrested and then removed? I thought it had to happen the other way round to be legal. Did Ecuador kick him out and the cops grabbed him as soon as he set foot on the street, or did they actually hand him over?

• Options
    There’s been some sort of prosecution of Wikileaks going on in the US for months now, under the radar for the most part. It’ll be interesting to see who steps up to charge him directly.

He'll be charged with skipping bail. That's probably it for the time being.

• Options

President of Ecuador. They basically told him to piss off because he was incredibly annoying and a giant douchebag.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I hope his cat is alright.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Jazz wrote: »
    I hope his cat is alright.

Presumably going back to his old job at MI6, having managed to extract the target from a foreign embassy using some real 'out of the box' shi-thinking.

I'm reassured a little that the -10 drop in support for the Conservatives didn't all go to Brexit and UKIP.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

President of Ecuador. They basically told him to piss off because he was incredibly annoying and a giant douchebag.

Plus his increasing resemblance to Uncle Albert off Only Fools and Horses was freaking them out.

cdp8m8qzxq2d.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Is this in relation to the sex charges or the Wikileaking? Were the sex charges just pretext?

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Is this in relation to the sex charges or the Wikileaking? Were the sex charges just pretext?

Breaking bail iirc

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Odds on the US trying to extradite him as he kept insisting they were gonna?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Odds on the US trying to extradite him as he kept insisting they were gonna?

Considering what we know now of Wikileaks' behavior? Almost certainly.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

He's being arrested for skipping bail, which he did while he was being investigated for the sex offences. His supporters argue that he's done nothing wrong and every charge is the result of a vast conspiracy against him. The alternative explanation is that he's a douchebag and a sex case and is getting exactly what he deserves.

• Options
    Holy shit. I thought the photo above was just poor quality or something, but if anything the video from CNN is worse. He looks like he's aged thirty years, and he looks downright crazed as they drag him out.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Jeysus

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So is Assange going to be in more danger considering The Trump administration is in charge and Trump has a hardon for punishing leakers. Or in less danger because his leaks helped Trump win thee election?

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So is Assange going to be in more danger considering The Trump administration is in charge and Trump has a hardon for punishing leakers. Or in less danger because his leaks helped Trump win thee election?

I lean towards the latter, because what Trump really punishes is leaks that make him look bad.

• Options
    This is from the lawyer of the woman who accused Assange of rape. They seem cautiously optimistic.

And this is from the Swedish police. I’m told it says a prosecution can be opened so long as it’s not time barred, and in this case the charges would be time barred from August 2020.

Swedish speaking forumers confirming the translation would be appreciated!

• Options
    This is from the lawyer of the woman who accused Assange of rape. They seem cautiously optimistic.

And this is from the Swedish police. I’m told it says a prosecution can be opened so long as it’s not time barred, and in this case the charges would be time barred from August 2020.

Swedish speaking forumers confirming the translation would be appreciated!

@Honk @Echo @Chanus

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Local council by election today in Edinburgh for Leith Walk ward.

SCons back to being the Ruth Davidson No To a Second Referendum party

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I woke up to this news and it was an amazing way to start the day.

• Options
    Look, this Tory doesn't make people instantly sick with contempt when they see her! Let's put her on every bit of campaigning literature we can.

This discussion has been closed.