As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Not giving EA anymore money. Sucks. I'd like to support the talent at Respawn. But my hate of EA is stronger.

Don't work for the devil. That's what I say.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Jedi Outcast, in the end of the day, ending up being a lot of (first person) shooting with a wide variety of weapons (not all of them useful). Less so but still true in Jedi Academy.

Man I thought Jedi academy was the best game in the world when I rented it (ya im fucking old). I didn't even know there were other games like it. I loved flailing around hacking everything to pieces with my twilek jedi.

I want to like this game, but cant really stand the souls games, I think theyre boring. Though i do like monster hunter so i dunno. The part that's killing me is that the main character looks like gerome from Gotham and i hated that character and the actor, and im not sure i can get over than enough to play this. character creation would have been a much better path.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Jedi Outcast, in the end of the day, ending up being a lot of (first person) shooting with a wide variety of weapons (not all of them useful). Less so but still true in Jedi Academy.

Man I thought Jedi academy was the best game in the world when I rented it (ya im fucking old). I didn't even know there were other games like it. I loved flailing around hacking everything to pieces with my twilek jedi.

I want to like this game, but cant really stand the souls games, I think theyre boring. Though i do like monster hunter so i dunno. The part that's killing me is that the main character looks like gerome from Gotham and i hated that character and the actor, and im not sure i can get over than enough to play this. character creation would have been a much better path.

I still heap praise on the Jedi Academy modding scene. Jedi Outcast never grabbed me the same way for that reason (despite being a massive fan of DFII and the expansion).

As far as I can tell, this seems like a mechanically very different game than Jedi Outcast. I'm honestly surprised that we're not making more comparisons to The Force Unleashed and the sequel because, acknowledging the very likely differences in lightsaber combat (you were still mostly flailing around in TFU), those still seem like much closer games overall, eschewing ranged weapons for a lightsaber combat/force powers left hand/right hand approach. Environmental scaling and platforming were also much more of a thing in TFU.

That being said, I'm not trying to turn off anyone from their hype. I remember the TFU games as being the sad dying gasps of pre-bust LucasArts for a reason. This game could very well be learning from their mistakes. I'm also not really a fan of Souls and Sekiro, but it's not like this is setting itself to be a clone in a Star Wars skin, new Battlefront style.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Looks like a Souls-like / Uncharted game. Sounds like fun to me.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

I still heap praise on the Jedi Academy modding scene. Jedi Outcast never grabbed me the same way for that reason (despite being a massive fan of DFII and the expansion).

As far as I can tell, this seems like a mechanically very different game than Jedi Outcast. I'm honestly surprised that we're not making more comparisons to The Force Unleashed and the sequel because, acknowledging the very likely differences in lightsaber combat (you were still mostly flailing around in TFU), those still seem like much closer games overall, eschewing ranged weapons for a lightsaber combat/force powers left hand/right hand approach. Environmental scaling and platforming were also much more of a thing in TFU.

That being said, I'm not trying to turn off anyone from their hype. I remember the TFU games as being the sad dying gasps of pre-bust LucasArts for a reason. This game could very well be learning from their mistakes. I'm also not really a fan of Souls and Sekiro, but it's not like this is setting itself to be a clone in a Star Wars skin, new Battlefront style.

I don't want to turn this into the Jedi Knight thread but bruh, there's a massive modding community around Outcast (as well as Academy) that is active to this day. I had just played through all of Outcast just before the Switch announcement with a plethora of mods to bring it up to modern visual standards.

BTW play Movie Battles 2 and Movie Duels mods for Jedi Academy, you won't regret it.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I don't want to turn this into the Jedi Knight thread but bruh, there's a massive modding community around Outcast (as well as Academy) that is active to this day. I had just played through all of Outcast just before the Switch announcement with a plethora of mods to bring it up to modern visual standards.

BTW play Movie Battles 2 and Movie Duels mods for Jedi Academy, you won't regret it.

To be honest, I don't play either game anymore personally. Though I have meant to try Jedi Academy on Xbox One for the hell of it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Looks like a Souls-like / Uncharted game. Sounds like fun to me.

I'm actually really down for a Souls-like with modifiable difficulty. I love those games, but the exploration and world-building has always been a bigger draw for me than the bosses.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hopefully this leans more Bloodborne than Dark Souls. Not because you can't play Dark Souls fast paced and offensive. It's just that the addition of very high resist shields in Dark Souls gave people a way to play those games uber defensive. For a lot of people they would bounce off and never realize there was a much more interesting, fast paced, way to play the game, you just had to get a little better at timing.

Bloodborne forces the player to play that way. It gives you options to speed up or slow down the play via weapon styles, but at the end of the day controlled aggression with well timed defense is the name of the game.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Hopefully this leans more Bloodborne than Dark Souls. Not because you can't play Dark Souls fast paced and offensive. It's just that the addition of very high resist shields in Dark Souls gave people a way to play those games uber defensive. For a lot of people they would bounce off and never realize there was a much more interesting, fast paced, way to play the game, you just had to get a little better at timing.

Bloodborne forces the player to play that way. It gives you options to speed up or slow down the play via weapon styles, but at the end of the day controlled aggression with well timed defense is the name of the game.

It sounds a lot like Sekiro, with the emphasis on blocks and parries.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Not giving EA anymore money. Sucks. I'd like to support the talent at Respawn. But my hate of EA is stronger.

Don't work for the devil. That's what I say.

I would tend to agree. Though for a singular game that was done right and didn't have stupid amounts of P2W or microtransaction bullshit, I would buy something like that sparingly just to make a point. 5 million people buying and liking a game works as well as 2 million people buying a game and being coaxed into spending twice as much money to be successful.

I haven't bought an EA game in years, but if done right this game might be a rare exception. Last game I bought from EA was Garden Warfare 2, and while I'm tempted to buy Battle for Neighborville, the amount of changes worry me, and I really don't trust them to not do something stupid with it later.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    People don't think about this particular aspect when it comes to the Jedi Knight series, but there was also a fair smattering of light puzzle-platforming here and there, and honestly that's what I feel Fallen Order evokes the Jedi Knight series the most
    Less about the core lightsaber combat style, but a lot of the other stuff

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I swear to god if there isn't a train level

• Options
    People don't think about this particular aspect when it comes to the Jedi Knight series, but there was also a fair smattering of light puzzle-platforming here and there, and honestly that's what I feel Fallen Order evokes the Jedi Knight series the most
    Less about the core lightsaber combat style, but a lot of the other stuff

Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were both heavily distinguished by the "abstract puzzle" implementation--Kyle Katarn even lampshades it in JO, "I bet the switch to this door is three levels up, hundreds of meters away, in a hidden room for some stupid reason." It took the usual id/3dreams/Apogee key collection a step forward. But if you only got into the series from Jedi Outcast, that'd be substantially removed.

Some of the puzzles in Dark Forces are just dumb. "Please admire our amazing implementation of moody lighting! We're going to put a three-switch combination luck in the corner of this dark room, put the relevant symbols in three other rooms, and you can shoot it from across a specific gangplank." But it was an experimental period.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    See I look at these previews and I'm thinking more Prince of Persia: Warrior Within or Two Thrones

Wall running and traversal, major focus on melee combat, lots of powers with utility instead of just combat purpose.

I'm probably picking it up right off the bat.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I swear to god if there isn't a train level

I legitimately associate the background music in that level to that game rather than the scene from which LucasArts cribbed it lmao

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I want to try this. I also want a new Jedi Outcast game. If Doom can come back, Kyle Katarn can.

• Options
    Give it to me.
    Now.

Completely Unsupported Sequel Theory:
    Second game takes place a few years after the first. Cal is frozen in carbonite early on.

And wakes up three years after Rise of Skywalker.

Respawn would have far more freedom without having to cleave to movie canon, and you could bring in the ST characters.

Cal gets his own Padawan.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Give it to me.
    Now.

Completely Unsupported Sequel Theory:
    Second game takes place a few years after the first. Cal is frozen in carbonite early on.

And wakes up three years after Rise of Skywalker.

Respawn would have far more freedom without having to cleave to movie canon, and you could bring in the ST characters.

Cal gets his own Padawan.

I like your theory because I am keen to explore the post-movie setting.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIl2z5wwjdA

Which is pretty good.

GINGERS.

WILL.

RISE.

Play it first on Xbox One.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The Launcher Wars are making strange bedfellows:
    EA Returns To Steam With Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But it still requires Origin? The heck? :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    But it still requires Origin? The heck? :I

Same deal as Ubisoft games and uPlay.

At least buying it this way will give you Steam achievements and other Steam stuff.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I hope the game is mod-friendly.

Also, I was Today Years Old when I realized it’s called “Star Wars Jedi” because they’re 100% making more games.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    That scene in the trailer where he's balancing on a beam and deflecting laser blasts.
    Hawt.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So this is secretly a Souls-like, right? That's what I keep hearing, that it's Dark Souls and Metroid, and it has a corpse mechanic.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So this is secretly a Souls-like, right? That's what I keep hearing, that it's Dark Souls and Metroid, and it has a corpse mechanic.

Not really secretly!

But yea it shares bits with those style games but with adjustable difficulty to be more accessible.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I 100% very much want encounters to be deadly like Souls. I'm excited for this game. Probably more excited than I should be.

• Options
    I never pre-order.

But then they told me you can have an orange lightsaber from the start.

You win this day, Corporate Devil.

• Options
    I 100% very much want encounters to be deadly like Souls. I'm excited for this game. Probably more excited than I should be.

I really like how this game seems to emphasize one-on-one lightsaber fights. Those were the best parts of both the Souls games and the old Jedi Knight games.

• Options

I really like how this game seems to emphasize one-on-one lightsaber fights. Those were the best parts of both the Souls games and the old Jedi Knight games.

Same. One of the things I dislike about TOR is how common lightsaber-wielding enemies are. Duels should feel special. If you’re a non-Force user, fighting any Force user should be a boss fight.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Reviews for Fallen Order have been embargoed until release, which isn't a good sign.

• Options
    With a property like Star Wars, it really means nothing either way.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Reviews for Fallen Order have been embargoed until release, which isn't a good sign.

It's not bad sign either. It's literally no sign because this stuff happens with big releases from some companies.

DOOM 2016 had a late embargo.

Also BOTW embargo was last minute.

It means nothing.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

EA being EA. Most previews suggest the game is quite enjoyable mixing together a ton of what folks love (Metroid-backtracking, Dark Souls combat, Uncharted traversal) all set within the Star Wars universe.

. . .still, it is an EA game and they do not have a great track record with the franchise. My hope is that the Mouse House was paying a bit more attention to this one than they did with Battlefront, especially since it's going to be established canon.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    There's a strong correlation between how early an embargo lifts and how well received a movie is. I'm making an assumption that the same is true for video games, but I guess it's on me to prove that.

Amusingly, I did a quick web search to see if somebody already did the research for me and one of the first hits had people using DOOM 2016 and BotW to claim that embargoes mean nothing. :lol:

Edit: But TLDR don't pre-order.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Some more recent ones:

Red Dead 2

Assassin's Creed: Origins

Every time this happens it's the exact same conversation that's why the other two get brought up because no one is keeping track of the examples they just tend to remember the conversation happening multiple times every year in the gaming community.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Gamestop is doing the 48 hour return policy for JFO as well. So yeah, pre-order, because you get some cool pins.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    There's a strong correlation between how early an embargo lifts and how well received a movie is. I'm making an assumption that the same is true for video games, but I guess it's on me to prove that.

Amusingly, I did a quick web search to see if somebody already did the research for me and one of the first hits had people using DOOM 2016 and BotW to claim that embargoes mean nothing. :lol:

Edit: But TLDR don't pre-order.

I mean it's easy to justify spending 10 bucks on a crap movie for 2 hours than it is to spend 60 bucks on a weak game; so I can see studios withholding scores until the last minute to not "score dampen" first day box-office. I feel like if Fallen Order was an unmitigated disaster we'd be hearing scuttlebutt on the Twitters especially following Death Stranding.

I mean I will absolutely allow that this will be a colossal failure it would just have to have a TON of "EA Executive Notes" to bring it down given who is involved in game direction.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Never pre-order, but games generally take way longer to experience than movies and so some extra lead time where everybody is hunkered away and playing the game isn't necessarily bad, esp if game companies want everybody to be talking about it at the same time.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00