As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STAR WARS: Jedi Survivor and Jedi Fallen Order

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I still can't help but still feel a little weird over the fact that I think this franchise just looks like the most generic-ass linear platformy action with the most generic-ass nondescript white guy possible and somehow other people adore it and I just don't get it.

I like the little robot, at least? But he spends the whole time strapped to this goober of a doofus and I can just never connect with the guy.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Functional lightsaber eh?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I still can't help but still feel a little weird over the fact that I think this franchise just looks like the most generic-ass linear platformy action with the most generic-ass nondescript white guy possible and somehow other people adore it and I just don't get it.

I like the little robot, at least? But he spends the whole time strapped to this goober of a doofus and I can just never connect with the guy.

Did you play it at all, or are these just impressions from looking at trailers or whatever?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

Great insight

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Did you play it at all, or are these just impressions from looking at trailers or whatever?

Yeah, of course I played it, poncho collecting and pointless saber-part-collecting and all. Seemed like shortish cut-rate Souls game and felt like an average PS2-era platformer.

I think it was just wrong for me the same way the Uncharted games are wholly unimpressive for me. I couldn't pick a specific thing I would call terrible, the mixed result just didn't get a blip of interest from me.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Maybe you don’t like the game, but others do. There was also a little more to it than poncho collecting and saber part hunting, and I feel like comparing the gameplay to the average ps2 era platformer is a tiny bit ridiculous

Also Luke skywalker was a boring ass white guy so it’s kind of baked into the dna of Star Wars. He was also a perfectly fine character, not really a goober by any metric, and the story around him was well done, at worst he’s just similar to characters in the universe before, so treading old ground

Prohass on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Most generic white male protagonists aren't ginger so

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Yeah, of course I played it, poncho collecting and pointless saber-part-collecting and all. Seemed like shortish cut-rate Souls game and felt like an average PS2-era platformer.

I think it was just wrong for me the same way the Uncharted games are wholly unimpressive for me. I couldn't pick a specific thing I would call terrible, the mixed result just didn't get a blip of interest from me.

Well it's called opinions, you see, and much like assholes everyone has one

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    The trailer looked awesome, lots of variety, and very excited by what looks like team up combat, if it turns out to be an actual thing and not just from a cinematic sequence, fingers crossed for a merrin teamup

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

As a red headed kid who didn't have many heroes that looked like me and was picked on specifically for having red hair I take offense to your stupid "generic white guy" comment. That shit is just as gross as the people who complain about non-white characters.
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Jedi Survivor reveal trailer, out March 17:

where.

the fuck.

are the.

PONCHOS

THE FLAG IS NOT BEING RAISED

I wish I could awesome and agree with this. Hard to be generic when we make up like .0000000008% of the population.

However:

https://youtu.be/KVN_0qvuhhw

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Jedi Survivor reveal trailer, out March 17:

where.

the fuck.

are the.

PONCHOS

Look, something had to be saved for the DLC/Pre-order bonus.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Just allow me to import my unlocks from last game, so I don't have to recollect saber colors again lol

• Options
    Just allow me to import my unlocks from last game, so I don't have to recollect saber colors again lol
    There's no way they will allow you to import your unlocks from the last game.
    (If they do, I will be genuinely astonished.)

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular

Was gonna say

Soft spoken ginger whos largest accomplishment is successfully fleeing the villain isn't exactly Marcus Fenix

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Like, I'm not going to say Fallen Order is going to win prizes, but it's a solid Star Wars story executed with plenty of competence.

Sometimes that's all you need. Not so much innovation, as just doing your thing confidently. And what Fallen Order does is be one absolutely Star Wars-ass story and be good at that.

And honestly Cal's general dorkishness is endearing. I just wish Merrin got more time to shine, she was pretty great.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I’ve never understood the disdain for Cal. Confronting his trauma to move past it, facing evil despite the change to run away, maturing into someone who can make their own choices—that arc is peak Star Wars and it’s well done.

Not every protagonist needs to be a tortured edgelord.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Cal was pretty rad.

And that new saber style looks SO cool. So now we the standard 1 hand, dual wielding for flurries, two sided for aoe, and 2handed for big slow damage?

I am hyped.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I’ve never understood the disdain for Cal. Confronting his trauma to move past it, facing evil despite the change to run away, maturing into someone who can make their own choices—that arc is peak Star Wars and it’s well done.

well you see, he's white and male though

edit - to be more serious, i get the criticism that we need more representation in video games but in this case I think Cal is a extremely well rounded character

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022

And (spoilers for a scene at the end of the game)
    "You would be wise to surrender"

"Yeah... p..probably"

*squares up to DARTH MOTHERFUCKIN VADER anyway despite being terrified and outmatched*

- is one of the coolest scenes in star wars ever. That's real-life style badassery right there, the most awesome kind.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only things I was really unimpressed with were the customization/collectibles. I did not give a hoot for the ponchos at all. And as neat and involved as the lightsaber creation was, it also amounted to a deep customization of something that was a micro millimeter on the screen. Once it was clear that was really it, I lost interest in collecting them. ...I mean I still did it, because I hate myself, but it wasn't something I looked forward to after that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Opposing FarceOpposing Farce Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    I very, very much enjoyed the story because it nailed the (cheeseball) playful sincerity I was looking for in star wars. I also got it for free from that one EA promotion, and context wise I was coming off the sequel trilogy. So a by the numbers Star Wars-ass story stuck the landing.

I found the combat to be mediocre, so this time though ill just set it to easy and call it a day.

But yes the story carried my enjoyment of the game, and it just hit right when I was thirsting for a good star wars story.

Edit: yeah the collectibles were a drag. I did not like the ponchos and the lightsaber collection was weak. Eventually I just looked up the actual useful hidden items like the health boosters because I couldn't be bothered to sus out if this goose chase would be one of the 10% ending in something useful or just filler.

Opposing Farce on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

edit - to be more serious, i get the criticism that we need more representation in video games but in this case I think Cal is a extremely well rounded character

TBH if you gave me the choice between playing as the Night Sister and Cal I know who would lose that decision absolutely every single time. Cal was a bit generic and bland, but he's endearing as an actual character and he really grew on me through playing Fallen Order. So by the end of the game I really liked him. This was also hugely helped by the fact the game didn't make him some sort of special snowflake who could stand up to Vader, but instead the ending of the game is literally you wetting yourself as you flee from him doing whatever you can to survive. It was a great decision and tone for the game IMO. I'm wondering where the sequel will largely take place and also if it is technically canon in Star Wars or not.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

TBH if you gave me the choice between playing as the Night Sister and Cal I know who would lose that decision absolutely every single time. Cal was a bit generic and bland, but he's endearing as an actual character and he really grew on me through playing Fallen Order. So by the end of the game I really liked him. This was also hugely helped by the fact the game didn't make him some sort of special snowflake who could stand up to Vader, but instead the ending of the game is literally you wetting yourself as you flee from him doing whatever you can to survive. It was a great decision and tone for the game IMO. I'm wondering where the sequel will largely take place and also if it is technically canon in Star Wars or not.

So far Disney's stuck to the rule that everything produced under them is canon, along with Clone Wars. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we saw Cal et. al mentioned on-screen, if not a full-on cameo.

Cal reminds me a lot of Kyle Katarn circa Jedi Knight and Jedi Outcast. A skilled but not overly powerful Jedi doing good, important work that doesn't necessarily implicate the fate of the galaxy. Not every hero needs to be an edgelord, not every story needs to be about the end of the world.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

I mean, if you gave me the choice between playing as Cal and playing as a Nightsister... I'd choose the Nightsister, but not because of anything to do with Cal - I just want to play a game that isn't about Jedis. (Still want that Bounty Hunter 2 open worlds game damnit)

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the sequel. I liked the original OK, but I only played it once. I love Dark Souls games and have played all of them multiple times, so while I didn't hate Fallen Order I did have a bunch of problems with it.

I, as well, hated all the excessive collecting and the stupid required parkour. I'm fine if ponchos exist but I resented them being the only armor you could find. I liked the combat (but was sad that double and dual sabers were merely for special moves) and loved the story though.

It just felt so limited in a bunch of ways. Hopefully the next one grows and improves on the first.

• Options

And (spoilers for a scene at the end of the game)
    "You would be wise to surrender"

"Yeah... p..probably"

*squares up to DARTH MOTHERFUCKIN VADER anyway despite being terrified and outmatched*

- is one of the coolest scenes in star wars ever. That's real-life style badassery right there, the most awesome kind.
    I actually super appreciated the way they did Vader in this game. Actually, I think Vader's been fairly well redeemed as a badass since Disney took over. Games like Force Unleashed let you fight him and win, which in turn makes the other Jedi look pretty weak for letting a crippled emo crybaby on life support wipe them out.
    But by and large, he's been turned back into The Dreaded he was described as in the first place. Regular people are just cannon fodder to him, and other Jedi just all follow the guidelines of Don't Fight, Just Run And You Might Survive. Maybe.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Cameron Monaghan did an interview with Star Wars.com

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-jedi-survivor-cameron-monaghan-interview

Mentioning it for this golden nugget:
    “I’d go over [to] their house and they’d be playing it, and it would be really weird,” he tells StarWars.com, laughing. As a joke, Monaghan would sit near friends, echoing the game’s dialogue or Cal’s grunts and screams as they happened on-screen. “I remember my friends being really tripped out. ‘What’s happening?!’”

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Delayed to April 28th.

Actually works better for me but sorry to anyone for whom this is worse for.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yea, that actually works better for me as well. Gives me time to play through the first one again lol.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    It was stepping on Bayonetta Origins and RE4make as it was.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the game release calendar is lighter around that time, so it's a plus for the delay for me.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Ive been waiting for a patch thats coming this week to fix Dead Spaces visual issues on consoles, issues that couldve been fixed at any time before launch in a baffling case of "this didnt even seem rushed, they just kind of didnt bother to make something work right and yet it apparently only takes a week to fix?". So im kind of fine with games taking more time at this point, if anything they should take more time than they think they need

Im sick of studios spending 4 years with all this art and design work and then just kind of completely undermining it with last minute glitches or halfassing on the final layers of polish or processing that would have taken a few days to fix

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Ive been waiting for a patch thats coming this week to fix Dead Spaces visual issues on consoles, issues that couldve been fixed at any time before launch in a baffling case of "this didnt even seem rushed, they just kind of didnt bother to make something work right and yet it apparently only takes a week to fix?". So im kind of fine with games taking more time at this point, if anything they should take more time than they think they need

Im sick of studios spending 4 years with all this art and design work and then just kind of completely undermining it with last minute glitches or halfassing on the final layers of polish or processing that would have taken a few days to fix

Or much more likely, they were aware of the issue and working on it after the game went gold. They just didn't delay the launch date, which would have had very real consequences on their marketing, shipping of physical products, deals with tie-in products, etc.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I get that but I think this issue bugged me because it was across the consoles and was so easily resolvable.

The thing is the issue was solved within like a day or two of the DF guys pointing it out, at least on ps5. Its just mind blowing, like I get that they couldnt delay for a day or two, and im not advocating crunch, but its just such silliness to not fix such an obvious and easily fixable issue (it was essentially a thing not working correctly, which on PC fair enough, but with consoles?) It had to have been there during weeks of final builds and just ignored?

I dunno I feel sympathy for the teams, its obviously the fault of managers and project leads that this kind of thing means launch day is basically like a final beta build before post launch week patches. But often it feels like if there werent advocates like the DF guys these issues would just be ignored. All this art and effort and teamwork to basically be undermined by something that apparently takes a day or two to fix, and the fact that this kind of thing happens so often.

Its just better off these days not playing games day one or even week one

The fact that it was a remake, and so visuals were kind of the main event, made it more galling for me and got me at a "straw that broke the camels back" level of exasperation I havent really previously experienced

its never bugged me this much before when there are issues. But this one just grated because I feel like it ruined my excitement and "first brush" experience, I had to stop the playthrough and play something else to wait while they fix something that wouldve been obviously broken for a long time and relatively simple to fix. It shouldve been as much a priority as any other core element of the production

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Its just better off these days not playing games day one or even week one

It's this. Games aren't finished at launch, don't buy them at launch. If you wait, they'll be better put together and likely cheaper.

• Options
    I have rarely had significant issues at launch.

But hey, someone needs to be buy these games at full price anyway, otherwise we wouldn't be getting them. So ill gladly be the day 1 guy haha.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I like Cal, although I do think it's dumb that he somehow "forgot" how to use the force. I get that they use the acquisition of force powers as the gating mechanism for access to new areas and such. The level design is very Metroid-Prime-feeling to me, which is a good thing! But a Jedi forgetting how to use the force just is kinda dumb to me. But I got over it because the game is mostly good.

I think the platforming and movement side of the game engine could use a bit of tightening up and made a little more crisp and reliable. Some of the jumping and platforming segments are a little rough, because the movement is just a little bit too loosey-goosey.

I like the first game well enough. It's a solid "B" title to me. I will play the sequel. I just hope it addresses some of my control-related concerns.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The platforming felt solid enough to me, outside of some early rope puzzles that felt punishingly difficult before you had pull I didn't have too many complaints. Also no more slidy hills. If the series never uses a slidy hill again it'll still have had way too many slidy hills. Those hills and their bad interactions with the camera need to go away.

• Options
    delay all video games to make them better

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I appreciate that they are being given the time to finish it, hopefully this means they aren't working their employees to the bone to do it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net