Options

Two Worlds - I heard it has...ah to hell with that

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yall wrote: »
    Have there been any reviews? I can't get to many sites through my firewall here at work. If anyone finds anything, please post a summary. Thanks!

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/twoworlds?q=two%20worlds

Try metacritic. Sometimes the site will go through the work firewalls.

Thanks man...:) I actually did look at metacritic before, but the reviews are form the PC version. I want to hear what the 360 co-op/multiplayer is like.

Oh well, I can't buy it until Thursday anyway. Hopefully someone will review it by then.

Yall on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    so I went to buy it today at EB and I see it on the counter and there are telling me I can't buy it untill tomorrow...so i'm kinda pissed as it's 30 min drive to EB games, and Zellers or wal-mart aren't going to have it in for a while. I mean the sell date on the xbox website is the 21st...so I'm wondering why she couldn't sell me one of the copies there on the counter...I'm sad now...I want some hack 'n slash action...

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dixon wrote: »
    so I went to buy it today at EB and I see it on the counter and there are telling me I can't buy it untill tomorrow...so i'm kinda pissed as it's 30 min drive to EB games, and Zellers or wal-mart aren't going to have it in for a while. I mean the sell date on the xbox website is the 21st...so I'm wondering why she couldn't sell me one of the copies there on the counter...I'm sad now...I want some hack 'n slash action...

My personal quandry over purchasing this game actually got me to re-up with GameFly. If it sucks? Oh well, back in the mail!!!

Yall on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    hmm can you use gamefly in Canada? and do you have to pay shipping and such?

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You should ask that question here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=33098&page=2

Yall on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Bump.

So does anyone have it for the 360 yet? Thoughts?

Yall on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

We have www.gameaccess.ca

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    regroxregrox Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey suplex, do you have any experience with gameaccess?

found another person that was also inquiring about them: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=2700946

Back from the derailment: That description of two world's gimped multiplayer described earlier really dissuades me from purchasing this.

regrox on
    RegRox.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yea, the game got delayed two days (lawl)... manufacturer f-up.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »

And those boxes were display boxes, not the actual game.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

As much as I would love an Oblivion-like game, the developers of this title have just been waaaay too flakey in regards to release dates and then going, "Hey! You know what? We should make this part MMORPG!" for me to put cash down on it.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

As much as I would love an Oblivion-like game, the developers of this title have just been waaaay too flakey in regards to release dates and then going, "Hey! You know what? We should make this part MMORPG!" for me to put cash down on it.

PC demo.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

PC demo.

Thanks for mentioning the PC demo! I'm about to check it out.

EDIT: I absolutely love the music track on the demo installer. It's this great synth/orchestra/rock fantasy thing. It's glorious.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    brynstar wrote: »

PC demo.

Thanks for mentioning the PC demo! I'm about to check it out.

EDIT: I absolutely love the music track on the demo installer. It's this great synth/orchestra/rock fantasy thing. It's glorious.

Give us your impressions later, man.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, here are some PC demo and 360 full version impressions.

I played the PC demo for a bit last night. It has no real story context, but does let you customize a character and play a chunk of the beginning of the game. The character has to be male and truthfully, you can only make him look so different. Class customization is handled like Diablo, but without picking a class at the beginning. You're a "mercenary" and you start off with basic proficiencies and stats, and you level up and earn points to spend on whatever you'd like, thus molding your hero. The inventory screen is the classic grid-based system with the paper doll for equipping. The RPG component seems pretty well integrated.

On my Core 2 Duo 6420 with an Nvidia 8600, the demo ran smooth at 1280 x 720 on max settings (I haven't tried any other resolutions yet). The graphics are decent on the PC, though the character models are a little chunky in some cases. I'd say it's not nearly as polished as Oblivion, but it still has a similar aesthetic and looks nice. The voice acting ranges from horrible to great, and the dialog all feels like it came out of some generic fantasy novel that you'd pick off a discount book rack.

Still, after playing it for a while, it reminded me a lot of Gothic, and that's not a bad thing. The combat in particular has a rhythmic quality and is overall satisfying even though you don't have a lot of move options. Spells and bows can auto-target which comes in handy given the forced third person perspective for fighting.

All of the above impressions also apply to my first hour with the 360 full game, which I picked up today. Turns out the plot is about a mercenary who's sister has gone missing, and he's looking for her. It's not too deep, and you're thrown right into things. This is definitely nothing like Oblivion. It has a much more PC, old school vibe to it in spite of the fact that it's an action RPG. The game has like a 1 minute tutorial that teaches you how to move and hit stuff, and aside from that you can also press the back button to bring up help screens. You pretty much are just thrown in the thick of things. This was weird at first, but actually refreshing after the long hand-holding first dungeon of Oblivion.

The framerate is all over the map on the 360, and the graphics seem slightly knocked down from the PC version. It's still playable, but if you need a solid framerate to enjoy a game then stay away until you can see someone else play it or watch a gameplay video. The menu screens are a little awkward on a pad but everything is still functional.

At first with both versions I was like "ugh" but then also for some reason I just kept playing. It scratches my western RPG itch quite nicely, and although it veers from decent to "So bad it's funny," it has kept me compelled so far. The combat is punchy and entertaining, though also pretty button mashy if you want it to be.

If you're looking for something more like Gothic, or like Diablo with a dose of old-school PC RPG, you will want to at least rent this. If you're looking for the next Oblivion, this is not it, in terms of style, story, or technical merit. It's very much a "Mid-Budget European RPG." Now I've been a fan of old-style PC RPGs and action RPGs for a long time, so it really is growing on me.

If you've a choice between the two versions, get the PC version as the technical niggles on the 360 do slightly hamper the experience.

I'd be happy to try and answer any questions!

TL;dr The game is a middling Gothic-esque RPG that's not much at all like Oblivion in spite of slight graphical similarities. It's really scratching my RPG itch though, and the 360 version has framerate issues. It also has enough different voice actors and performances that everyone doesn't sound like everyone else. Half of the VA is horrible, the other half is good. At least try it if you like PC-esque RPGs, but don't expect a revolution or even a great game. Just average.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I picked up the PC version today. Gamestop has a nice trade-in promotion going (30% bonus if you trade in three games, and you can add 10% if you have the card), so I used that to pay for it. I went straight into multiplayer, and connection issues aside (you'll need to open two ports), it wasn't that bad. I created a PvP and RPG characters and did some quests with a few people. We had some fun.

It's also nice that the US version ships patched. The latest patch, 1.5, is over a gig in size. The original version was pretty buggy, but you have to give them props for having a good support team. They've added in a lot, and even upgraded the graphics and animations.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I picked up the PC version today. Gamestop has a nice trade-in promotion going (30% bonus if you trade in three games, and you can add 10% if you have the card), so I used that to pay for it. I went straight into multiplayer, and connection issues aside (you'll need to open two ports), it wasn't that bad. I created a PvP and RPG characters and did some quests with a few people. We had some fun.

It's also nice that the US version ships patched. The latest patch, 1.5, is over a gig in size. The original version was pretty buggy, but you have to give them props for having a good support team. They've added in a lot, and even upgraded the graphics and animations.

The 360 version is supposed to include this patch too, from what I understand, hence part of the reason for the delay. How is the multiplayer? I've not had a chance to try it yet. The 360 manual doesn't really talk much about the RPG mode.

The manual is also quite enthusiastic, which makes it an entertaining read.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

The 360 version is supposed to include this patch too, from what I understand, hence part of the reason for the delay. How is the multiplayer? I've not had a chance to try it yet. The 360 manual doesn't really talk much about the RPG mode.

I believe the 360 and PC version multiplayer are quite different. They added in "MMO" elements to the PC version's multiplayer. It's kind of like Guild Wars. Cities act as hubs. You can trade, form guilds, battle in the arenas, and even get together to go on missions. You choose what mission to play, then it loads an area where you can do quests. As you complete more missions, you unlock more areas and cities.

I don't believe the 360 version has the hubs. You'll have to try it and tell me. I don't think I'll be getting the 360 version, though, as I already have the PC one.

Dashui on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    what was that german FPS shooter that looked really nice at parts but was clearly developed and programmed by sea otters? you know it was like heavily armored warriors in a 1v1 FPS setting.

anyways this game reminds me of that, and that is a bad thing.

I think the old Shock may have spoiled me, I was expecting it to be a little more .... gripping.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know i'm judging the combat animations just by a few videos but...

They look like LARPers swinging swords and maces. O_o

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I believe the 360 and PC version multiplayer are quite different. They added in "MMO" elements to the PC version's multiplayer. It's kind of like Guild Wars. Cities act as hubs. You can trade, form guilds, battle in the arenas, and even get together to go on missions. You choose what mission to play, then it loads an area where you can do quests. As you complete more missions, you unlock more areas and cities.

I don't believe the 360 version has the hubs. You'll have to try it and tell me. I don't think I'll be getting the 360 version, though, as I already have the PC one.

I checked out the multiplayer and yeah, the 360 version just uses a standard browser-esque series of setup menus. You load up people in your room, and then launch an area rated by difficulty. It seems alright, though there are some technical issues with it (lag, etc.). Much complaining has ensued on the official message boards.

Also, I've noticed that some of the sound effects on the 360 version are placed on the right of the soundstage instead of the middle for no apparent reason. I didn't have this problem with the PC demo. Footstep noises, dialog, and some fighting sounds are all coming from the right side no matter what type of audio output I try. Strange! I'm still really enjoying the game though.

Nalouto it seems has confused Two Worlds and Bioshock, something I may do myself if I keep playing them concurrently! :)

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I checked out the multiplayer and yeah, the 360 version just uses a standard browser-esque series of setup menus. You load up people in your room, and then launch an area rated by difficulty. It seems alright, though there are some technical issues with it (lag, etc.). Much complaining has ensued on the official message boards.

Also, I've noticed that some of the sound effects on the 360 version are placed on the right of the soundstage instead of the middle for no apparent reason. I didn't have this problem with the PC demo. Footstep noises, dialog, and some fighting sounds are all coming from the right side no matter what type of audio output I try. Strange! I'm still really enjoying the game though.

Nalouto it seems has confused Two Worlds and Bioshock, something I may do myself if I keep playing them concurrently! :)

Maybe you should return the 360 version ("it's defective!") and pick it up for the PC. Then we can create a guild, climb up the guild ladder, battle monsters, and battle other people in the arena! I was also wrong about what I said in regards to PvP. Actually, I was only half-right. While you can create a PvP only character who is pre-made, your RPG character can also partake in arena combat. The only thing with that is, you can fight any level character with any equipment, where as a PvP character is set in stone with items, abilities, level, and statistics.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmm Dashui, an intriguing proposition! I'm going to keep plowing through the 360 game for a few days (achievements achievements lol) and if I am still enjoying it as much as I do now then I might just get the PC version as well! (Besides then I can consider it a "job expense" if I review it for the magazine I write for ;) ). I appreciate hearing that the PvP mode keeps things balanced regarding characters. I've only tried the RPG mode so far, and I liked what I saw outside the minor tech problems.

It sounds like the PvP and RPG modes are more integrated in the PC version, is that right? In the 360 version, you pick either/or from a menu.

brynstar on
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So is there lots of different loot to be had? Or is it just generic, short sword then long sword then fine long sword etc? I like a hack and slash style rpg to have lots of various loot to keep it interesting.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That stacking loot concept sounds interesting. I got the demo last night, dunno if I'll get any playtime today.

captaink on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm considering this, but I'd like to know if the eight-player option is available over a network? I don't want to play this online, considering that some of my friends have less than stellar connections to the 'net.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    There's an incredible amount of loot to be had, and it's also randomized. And you can combine equipment of the same type to increase their stats. As far as weapon types, there's also a lot. There are swords (short, long, two handed, sabers), axes, bludgeons (clubs, long-sticks, hammers), magic wands, halberds, daggers, bows, and more. There's a skill where you can have a weapon in each hand, too.

The game has a lot of depth. A lot. It has some mediocre parts, of course, but if you look at the whole package, there's plenty of content in the game. The combat engine is nothing more than button mashing, the voice acting is pretty bad, the animations aren't the best, but there's so much to do and gain. I like the character creation/class system, and I have fun just exploring, doing quests for the factions, and upgrading all my weapons with the stack system.

And Rohan, there's only online play, no LAN.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    man this is ridiculuous the game was supposed to be out on the 21st here then I heard it was getting a delay for a day for the patching or whatever but I cannot find it anywhere...I'm in canada btw. I want to play this so bad I'm dying for something diablo-esque, and I need my fix. So anyone else having the same problem finding it? or can someone give me a tip of where would be the best place to look?

Dixon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I had to return something to Best Buy, and I couldn't resist getting the 360 collector's edition. I didn't really pay anything for the PC version, so I didn't mind much (I can always use the PC version for it's superior multiplayer). I think I like playing it better on the 360 due to the controller. Spamming the left mouse button can be tiresome, but it's not so bad on the gamepad. It's definitely easier on the hands.

Dashui on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man this is ridiculuous the game was supposed to be out on the 21st here then I heard it was getting a delay for a day for the patching or whatever but I cannot find it anywhere...I'm in canada btw. I want to play this so bad I'm dying for something diablo-esque, and I need my fix. So anyone else having the same problem finding it? or can someone give me a tip of where would be the best place to look?

From what I hear it's coming out in Canada on the 29th.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So for those of us that have it, or will have it, what system? We'll have to get together to play online. The PC version's bonus towards multiplayer is that cities act as hubs. You can chat, trade, form guilds, and form parties to go and quest or battle together. The 360 version just has a regular game list browser. I'd honestly prefer online on the PC, but either way it doesn't matter much to me. Anyways, my gamertag is Vacorsis, and my character is Vacorsis on the PC, too.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well I'll be getting it when it comes out here in Cananda and we'll be playing live, GT is Dixonater, add me and we'll hit up some multiplayer

Dixon on
  • Options
    WhoolzYourDaddyWhoolzYourDaddy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got it on the 360, but I haven't opened it yet. I might give it a whirl Monday night.

WhoolzYourDaddy on
    WhoolzYourDaddy.minblack.gif
    whoolzyourdaddy6zk.jpg
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I got it on the 360, but I haven't opened it yet. I might give it a whirl Monday night.

Me too, still getting through Bioshock.

Can you learn two or more magic schools for a single character? I'm planning on a Fire/Necro mage.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Me too, still getting through Bioshock.

Can you learn two or more magic schools for a single character? I'm planning on a Fire/Necro mage.

Yes, you can mix schools, at least in single-player. Well, it appears most of us have the 360 version, so I guess we'll have to get together for that. We'll have to add each other so we can play. I'd still prefer PC online, but I'll take what I can get. :P

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Couple of questions for you guys playing it:

1 - Combat. Does the combat feel as floaty as it looks in the videos? Meaning, you swing the sword, but there's no real "impact" to be had? The animations looked cool, but you just looked like a badly choreographed movie fight where you swing the weapon a lot, and bad guys fall down.
    Also, is Hand to Hand cool?

2 - Mounts. I kept reading "mounted combat, while on a horse, lizard, or more!" So.. what's the more?

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Better than Gothic 3 at least?

Because I would compare Gothic 3 to Ultima IX, unfavorably.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Better than Gothic 3 at least?

Because I would compare Gothic 3 to Ultima IX, unfavorably.

Hmmm. Gothic 3 might have a little more polish. That series is huge in Germany, and they actually good funding for it. However, Two Worlds has far more depth. I love the equipment stacking and alchemy systems and the sheer amount and randomization of the loot. Each time I create a character, I never get the same equipment, especially after stacking them to form newer, better items. It kind of has a draw to it.

Anyways, I've been really enjoying the 360 version. It's multiplayer isn't as deep, but the game is made for a gamepad. Spamming the left mouse button to attack in the PC version hurts my hand a lot. It's far easier on the muscles with the gamepad. I'll still probably use the PC one for multiplayer, though. It's fun to run around a city chatting and trading and forming up with tons of people. You can't do that on the 360's version.

Dashui on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

There's a single-player sub-forum on their forums, and one of the aspects of the game listed on the main page is "multiplayer". Is there a strong single-player game present? Is LAN play really not possible?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rohan wrote: »

There's a single-player sub-forum on their forums, and one of the aspects of the game listed on the main page is "multiplayer". Is there a strong single-player game present? Is LAN play really possible?

Yes, there's a strong single-player game present. I only meant as far as multiplayer goes, there's only network play and no LAN play. The single-player game and game world is fairly large. The main campaign can be beaten in about 30 hours, but there are a great deal of side-quests and factions to get yourself involved with. And things you do in factions effect the world around you. Unlike Oblivion, you can't just join every faction. Some factions are at war. You can even prevent towns from being destroyed, or you can ignore their pleas and come back to find a town in ruins. The game world is also quite huge. There's plenty to explore.

Edit: I should just say again that this game won't be for everyone. It has a lot of mediocre parts, but as a whole it's quite deep and enjoyable if you just want to sit back and slash, or blast, some monsters and collect loot [instead of nitpicking every mechanic or detail]. It fills my open-world RPG needs quite nicely.

Dashui on