Options

Two Worlds - I heard it has...ah to hell with that

• Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I don't understand the multiplayer. So there's a large single-player game that's somewhat like Oblivion or Gothic 3, where does the multiplayer come in? Is it like WoW or any other MMO, where you can meet people and form a part of eight and go off adventuring, or do you invite seven other people to your game and then go off? Sorry for the questions, but I'm a tad confused about how the game works.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rohan wrote: »
    So, I don't understand the multiplayer. So there's a large single-player game that's somewhat like Oblivion or Gothic 3, where does the multiplayer come in? Is it like WoW or any other MMO, where you can meet people and form a part of eight and go off adventuring, or do you invite seven other people to your game and then go off? Sorry for the questions, but I'm a tad confused about how the game works.

No problem. The PC and 360 multiplayer is different. As far as multiplayer goes in general, you form a party of up to eight players and choose a mission. The mission spawns you in an area, not the entire game world but a part of it, where you can complete a number of quests. Completing these quests opens up new missions and thus new areas. I know it doesn't sound as fun as exploring the entire game world, but it's actually not bad. You can also engage in PvP combat as a PvP character (pre-made, level and items and skills) or as your RPG character (the one you level up and find loot).

As far as the differences between the PC and 360 versions of multiplayer, they play equally. You still form a party and go take on missions or fight in the arena. However, the 360's version of multiplayer is browser based. You see a list of games and you can join or create one. For the PC, they put in MMO elements. Instead of a browser you have cities. These cities are hubs where hundreds of players can gather. You can chat with them, trade with them, form guilds and view the guild ladder, etc. Completing missions opens up new missions/areas but also new cities.

You can see what games are open or create one yourself by just opening up a window. If you're hosting or connected to another player's game, a transparent window will show up on the bottom right showing your name and others who are connected, and you just hit CTRL+F12 to start the mission if you're the host. It's nice on the PC, walking around and saying hello to the people you meet before and checking up on the guild ladder and so forth.

I have both versions, so whichever one you choose you'll be able to play with me. ^_^

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    my store already has a used copy in

a few of us debated buying it, but in the end realized that we are all FAR too bust w/bioshock

Evander on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »

No problem. The PC and 360 multiplayer is different. As far as multiplayer goes in general, you form a party of up to eight players and choose a mission. The mission spawns you in an area, not the entire game world but a part of it, where you can complete a number of quests. Completing these quests opens up new missions and thus new areas. I know it doesn't sound as fun as exploring the entire game world, but it's actually not bad. You can also engage in PvP combat as a PvP character (pre-made, level and items and skills) or as your RPG character (the one you level up and find loot).

As far as the differences between the PC and 360 versions of multiplayer, they play equally. You still form a party and go take on missions or fight in the arena. However, the 360's version of multiplayer is browser based. You see a list of games and you can join or create one. For the PC, they put in MMO elements. Instead of a browser you have cities. These cities are hubs where hundreds of players can gather. You can chat with them, trade with them, form guilds and view the guild ladder, etc. Completing missions opens up new missions/areas but also new cities.

You can see what games are open or create one yourself by just opening up a window. If you're hosting or connected to another player's game, a transparent window will show up on the bottom right showing your name and others who are connected, and you just hit CTRL+F12 to start the mission if you're the host. It's nice on the PC, walking around and saying hello to the people you meet before and checking up on the guild ladder and so forth.

I have both versions, so whichever one you choose you'll be able to play with me. ^_^

Cheers man, I might pick this up on Monday. Pc version, I don't have a 360 ^_^

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    God I'm so torn. Too any things to get and not enough money.

So I shall ask some questions to see if this is worth my money or not, please convince me not to buy it.

Is the online co-op on the 360 functional? Would I theoretically be able to get together with eight freinds and destroy villages and raid cities and such or is the co-op just linear and mission based?

Is the combat fun and functional or is it a button masher?

From what I've seen the dialogue and voice acting is pretty terrible but is the story any good? Or at least remotely entertaining?

Just tell me the pros and cons (for the 360 version) if you don't mind.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hhhm, I'm downloading the PC demo right now, and my buddy on Live just got the 360 version.

He's telling me it's a hybrid of Diablo and the Summoner games. If that's the case, I may go buy this..

Kami on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ah man, this game world is huge. I'm riding my way south to deliver a message, and I just came over the rise to see this huge field. Straight ahead is a massive city. To my left is a hill that runs down to a large, wide river.

Definitely am enjoying the stacking system. I keep upgrading my mace with cold gems that I keep finding. Those bandits go down fast. :P My character starts laughing as I utterly destroy these bastards.

I'm having fun. I hope more games use a stacking system like Two Worlds. I like being able to find items that I normally would just toss away, but now combine them with my stronger equipment to increase the statistics.

Dashui on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I played the demo but the combat was too floaty and the running was too slow and goofy to enjoy. Don't think I'll be buying it.

captaink on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey fellas,

I was playing the 360 version all weekend, and would love to play online some more. (I actaully played a private game with just me to work on leveling my Necro a bit)

Feel free to send me an invite - gamertag is an easy one 'Yall'

Yall on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Evander wrote: »

a few of us debated buying it, but in the end realized that we are all FAR too bust w/bioshock

Same here. I really need to rent it first because the combat will make it or break it for me.
    Oblivion combat = break, Fable combat = make.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is the story good?

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »

Same here. I really need to rent it first because the combat will make it or break it for me.
    Oblivion combat = break, Fable combat = make.

It's somewhere in between...

Yall on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's honestly not even as good as oblivion combat. Oblivion had active blocking/parrying, which this does not. There was a special "kick dirt in their face" move, but it didn't seem to do anything. I mostly just button-mashed. It doesn't have Fable's lock on and dodge around combat either. Very blah.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    It's honestly not even as good as oblivion combat. Oblivion had active blocking/parrying, which this does not. There was a special "kick dirt in their face" move, but it didn't seem to do anything. I mostly just button-mashed. It doesn't have Fable's lock on and dodge around combat either. Very blah.

Yeah, I really think it compares to Diablo, but instead of clicking the left button, you are pulling the trigger. But then again, I let my skeletons do most of the work.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This game was so laggy last night, that online play was virtually impossible.

There seems to be a lot of talk regarding servers in the US and Germany (with the speculation being the one in the US are'down') but I think this game is actually a P2P setup, and this issue is possibly a persistant one.

I would advise against a purchase until they have this rectified, which is a shame, because with no lag (or at least less lag) it could be a lot of fun.

PS - I have great up/dwn speeds with my connection, and I have yet to talk with anyone who has been in a game for more than a few minutes.

Yall on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the alchemy is crazy broken. I finally had enough points in alchemy to start making some potions with all the ingredients that I had filling up my inventory. I managed to make enough permanent potions that I am now COMPLETELY immune to fire damage, and I tripled my other stats in a couple of minutes.

Samphis on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    I think the alchemy is crazy broken. I finally had enough points in alchemy to start making some potions with all the ingredients that I had filling up my inventory. I managed to make enough permanent potions that I am now COMPLETELY immune to fire damage, and I tripled my other stats in a couple of minutes.

Yeah, thats the bug that appears to not have been fixed.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Definitely am enjoying the stacking system. I keep upgrading my mace with cold gems that I keep finding. Those bandits go down fast. :P My character starts laughing as I utterly destroy these bastards.

I'm having fun. I hope more games use a stacking system like Two Worlds. I like being able to find items that I normally would just toss away, but now combine them with my stronger equipment to increase the statistics.

You're right, this is one thing that should definitely carry over to other games. I like using leather and chain armor but they usually suck to much to be used in most games, but in Two Worlds I can stack them and make leather and/or chain that's actually worth wearing.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, it looks as though you can become insanely powerfull in no time.

Speaking of becoming powerful, some guy joined my match who must have been level 30 or higher and he wouldn't talk or his mic wasn't workin. I was about to cancel the match, because who want to play a laggy game with no vox? Not me.

Anyway he proceeds to attack the villagers and agin I figured I'd stop the match, because if he was doing this for exp, he should just create his own custom one instead of ruining mine. But then I realized he wasn't looting the bodies, so my level 8 necro actuall made a fair amount of gold.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So...the story...good...bad...kittens? What?

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm really torn on this one; I'm a sucker for huge open world type games (I'm one of those people who actually liked getting lost in Morrowind's wilderness) but my plate is really full at the moment. Straightforward combat doesn't bother me as long as there's at least some strategy to be had; even if it's only basic -make sure to have plenty of X item on hand; enemy A is weak against element B- type stuff.

The thing that really intrigues me is the faction system; is it as robust as it's made out to be? Does the game have lots of interesting quests with logical progression (above and beyond typical fetch quests)? Lackluster is one thing but is there anything in the game that stands out as being outright stupid? Basically is this game worth checking out if I'm a fan of the genre?

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

You're right, this is one thing that should definitely carry over to other games. I like using leather and chain armor but they usually suck to much to be used in most games, but in Two Worlds I can stack them and make leather and/or chain that's actually worth wearing.

Can you explain the 'stacking'?

I got this from Gamefly so I don't have the manual.

Yall on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yall wrote: »

If you have two of the exact same item, you can combine them together. When you hover over an item in the inventory that can be stacked with another item, the other item will glow green. Press the Y button, then the X button, then the X button again to confirm. (I think that's the button presses, use the Back Button help menu just to be sure). After you do this, the two items will become one item.

In order to do it, they must be the same item with an identical name. So a "Short Sword" and a "Short Sword" can be combined to make a Class 2 Short Sword. But you couldn't then combine that with a "Short Sword of the Light" since the name is different. Hope that helps!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Novus wrote: »
    I'm really torn on this one; I'm a sucker for huge open world type games (I'm one of those people who actually liked getting lost in Morrowind's wilderness) but my plate is really full at the moment. Straightforward combat doesn't bother me as long as there's at least some strategy to be had; even if it's only basic -make sure to have plenty of X item on hand; enemy A is weak against element B- type stuff.

The thing that really intrigues me is the faction system; is it as robust as it's made out to be? Does the game have lots of interesting quests with logical progression (above and beyond typical fetch quests)? Lackluster is one thing but is there anything in the game that stands out as being outright stupid? Basically is this game worth checking out if I'm a fan of the genre?

I havne'y played around enough in single player to get involved with the factions, but I think combat is a bit more interesting than just pushing a button. The biggest downside to the game (or what falls into your 'outright stupid' category) is the fact that you can only have 3 active spells at a time. There are slots where you put spell cards and if you have spells x, y, and z ready to use, but need a, b, or c all of the sudden, you have to go through a fairly cumbersome process.

brynstar wrote: »

If you have two of the exact same item, you can combine them together. When you hover over an item in the inventory that can be stacked with another item, the other item will glow green. Press the Y button, then the X button, then the X button again to confirm. (I think that's the button presses, use the Back Button help menu just to be sure). After you do this, the two items will become one item.

In order to do it, they must be the same item with an identical name. So a "Short Sword" and a "Short Sword" can be combined to make a Class 2 Short Sword. But you couldn't then combine that with a "Short Sword of the Light" since the name is different. Hope that helps!

I had no idea you could do that. Thanks!!!

Yall on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited August 2007
    There are slots where you put spell cards and if you have spells x, y, and z ready to use, but need a, b, or c all of the sudden, you have to go through a fairly cumbersome process.

Is it through a menu or do you have to actually travel somewhere?

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    In a menu, but not a good thing to have to do when in combat.

Yall on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Why does the world hate answering my questions? )':

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I decided to possibly Gamefly this after waiting for a bit of reaction, and despite the REALLY negative responses of some, I still had enough hope left to give it a shot. I'm glad I did, because I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's far from perfect, and I'm still having a bit of trouble adjusting to the way some things work (due to the awkwardness inherent in its control setup), but there's something about it that's just sort of inviting.

Oh, and I've got a cool pointy stick now that poisons the hell out of my enemies. That's pretty fun.

Also, one of my absolute favorite things to do is to run a pack of wolves into a group of bandits and watch them all kill each other. Even better, though, was the time I was able to lure an ogre into a military camp, where he was attacked by at least a dozen soldiers. I then led him back outside the walls, waited for the soldiers to start wailing on him, and then ran back inside and closed the gate. Awesome.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't usually watch TV but last night I did and saw an ad for this game. The character animations were so choppy and laughable I couldn't beleive they would show me this to convince me to buy the game. "The most EPIC rpg!!" The ad only convinced me I shouldn't even bother renting it.

Is it really so hard to make smooth animations? Most games manage to do pretty fine in that respect.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really wish that I could get my hands on a freeform RPG that would combine the whole epic feeling that Oblivion was supposed to give you while including some of the more basic things, such as the need to eat and sleep. I know that a lot of people doesn't equal this with fun but imagine trying to trek across a mountain range or a deep forest in order to find whatever goal you are pursuing. Where you need to survive on your wits and survival knowledge as much as your competence in magic or your weapon.
    I guess I'm basically looking for a cross between Daggerfall and Robinsons Requiem :P

Silpheed on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Novus wrote: »
    I'm really torn on this one; I'm a sucker for huge open world type games (I'm one of those people who actually liked getting lost in Morrowind's wilderness) but my plate is really full at the moment.
    Same here. Even if it lacks polish, having a big world to explore could be fun for a little while, but there are a number of other games to get to at the moment, not to mention a slew of expenses in the coming month or so. At the moment my gaming cash has to go to top priority games and top priority games only ... and right now. this isn't.

I want it to be, though. Big open world, lots of exploration, plenty of depth yet an easy control scheme? Sounds right up my alley.

I reeeallly wish there was a 360 demo for this.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I really wish that I could get my hands on a freeform RPG that would combine the whole epic feeling that Oblivion was supposed to give you while including some of the more basic things, such as the need to eat and sleep. I know that a lot of people doesn't equal this with fun but imagine trying to trek across a mountain range or a deep forest in order to find whatever goal you are pursuing. Where you need to survive on your wits and survival knowledge as much as your competence in magic or your weapon.
    I guess I'm basically looking for a cross between Daggerfall and Robinsons Requiem :P
    Survivorman: The Game of the Show.

I'd buy it.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So any guys up for co op? Most of the guys I've been playing with are idiots who just run around and kill the guards and don't want to quest or work together. I'm up for a game tonight.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Jast wrote: »
    So any guys up for co op? Most of the guys I've been playing with are idiots who just run around and kill the guards and don't want to quest or work together. I'm up for a game tonight.

Xbox 360 version, I assume? I actually traded mine in because of how superior the PC version was. The blurry textures were kind of getting to me, too. It's so much sharper on the PC.

Here's my dude in the PC version so far. :)
    screen0001kl0.jpg

Dashui on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, I meant the 360 version. Nice character you got there, i'm barely 10 minutes into the singleplayer game, ha.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Are there other mounts than horses? I keep reading on the Two Worlds site that you can ride giant lizards but it wouldn't surprise me if this is something that the developers cut out of the game and forgot to update on their site.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    The LurkerThe Lurker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm torn on this game, but I've read some scathing reviews. I've always been a fan of the Elder Scroll style of games...would those of you whom have picked it up recommend it to others?

Sigh, some of the things in the reviews make sense, but a part of me still wants to say yes to this game.

The Lurker on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Lurker wrote: »
    I'm torn on this game, but I've read some scathing reviews. I've always been a fan of the Elder Scroll style of games...would those of you whom have picked it up recommend it to others?

Sigh, some of the things in the reviews make sense, but a part of me still wants to say yes to this game.

Its like the First Person Shooter fan in me that made me buy Stalker against my better judgment. Only I hear this game is way worse than Stalker.

Prohass on
  • Options
    D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can someone please explain everything I need to use 'DeathStrike'?
    I've bought the skills (Sneak lvl 2 included), And I have a Dagger (Deadly Shadows)

Do I need to raise my sneak skill more? Because sneaking around at night does not even give me the supposed eyes above NPC heads. I've even bought the pickpocket skill :S

All I want to do is stab someone in the back...It's putting me off the game.

Edit: All sorted now, This game really isn't that bad, More I play more I like it.
    A refreshing change to Oblivion. And the gold flows into my pockets which is something I was peeved at with Oblivion.

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    After playing the PC Demo, I'm absolutely hooked on board for Two Worlds. I am ready to buy it (albeit flat broke at the moment), but I have a small problem. My DVD rom drive just upped and stopped working, and I imagine it has more to do with either the IDE or the motherboard than the drive itself. I would have no problem just... downloading... the full game and then tossing on the purchased CDKey after I install it, but from everything I've read, the ripped versions of the game do not work in multiplayer, even with legit CDkeys. So, has anyone seen it on any D2Drive sites?

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.