Options

Two Worlds - I heard it has...ah to hell with that

• Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The Lurker wrote: »
    I'm torn on this game, but I've read some scathing reviews. I've always been a fan of the Elder Scroll style of games...would those of you whom have picked it up recommend it to others?

Sigh, some of the things in the reviews make sense, but a part of me still wants to say yes to this game.

Yea when we got this game in I handed this over to my co-writer to cover and he didn't care much for it. I figure though, as he told me over dinner, that it's kind of, as he calls it, a "broken leg game," in that if you were confined to one place for a long period you could probably get into it.

etoychest on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I hit the store yesterday to buy skate. Sold out. Hit a second store. Sold out. So I got my second choice, Two Worlds.

You know what? A few hours in and I'm really enjoying this. Oh, sure, it's all sorts of flawed, but in an odd way that helps it escape from the genericville Oblivion suffered from, making it kind of quirky and unique in an appealing way. It's not a triple-A game by any means, but so far it looks like it has a lot to offer. The hilarious voice acting is part of the charm. The world seems like it's HUGE. Very cool weapons upgrade system. Terrible interface. Decent quest log. Cool and varied lands to explore.

I'm digging it.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really do want to give this game a shot, but when I have huge graphical errors almost right off the bat, I get kind of discouraged.

If you have a radeon card you probably shouldnt even bother buying this game, honestly.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If you were to compare this with Gothic III, which one would come out on top?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lets say I accidentally deleted the American Server on the PC version. Whats the address to get it back? :D

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, does anyone know if the patch came through? I hope it did, muti is really laggy. Still up for some coop though.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hm, with XBL they might patch the 360 version too, right?

I'm thinking of picking this up for the 360... I hear it has issues, but, is it fun enough to work around them?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    I'm thinking of picking this up for the 360... I hear it has issues, but, is it fun enough to work around them?
    I think so. I've been playing it for a week now, and if you're willing to embrace its quirks it has a lot to offer. It's a fun game that may fall short of its huge ambition but which is, in my estimation, better than the mediocre reviews would suggest.

To put it how I put it in an Oblivion thread, it's not nearly as polished as Oblivion. Some take that for suck; for me it's kind of quirky and endearing. The voice acting and dialogue is hilarious, the combat simplistic, and the menus really need a dose of polish ... yet the world feels much bigger, varied and more interesting than Oblivion's, the teleport system rocks, and the whole thing has a unique vine that's hard to explain. It feels somehow less generic than Oblivion, despite Oblivion having GREAT lore and despite both sharing influences in western fantasy.

Oh, and the weapons customization system rocks my socks. It's a lot of fun goofing with combining items and all that.

Two Worlds is Oblivion's awkward drooling psycho virgin cousin who visits for two weeks every summer, eats paste and poops his pants. Creepy and off-putting at first, but it turns out he's a super cool guy with a heart of gold who is fun to be around if you give him a chance.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I gotta go with a big thumbs down on this guy. It's just, clumsy I think. And ugly.

How ugly you ask?

I popped in my copy of Crimson Skies for the first time right after Two Worlds, and Crimson Skies looked sooooo much prettier.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Silpheed wrote: »
    If you were to compare this with Gothic III, which one would come out on top?

Gothic 3. But this one is ok too.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yay, the thread resurfaced, giving me the opportunity to post more of my screenshots.

These are from a little ways ago, so I look cooler now.
    screen0000ra1.jpg

screen0002hq0.jpg

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    MalachMalach Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So, Gamefly dropped this off for me today and I popped it in... From the word go it is easily the ugliest game I have ever seen on my 360. The animations are horrible looking, the characters, the graphics. I knew what to expect going in, or at least I thought I did. I expected it to suck but I figured ah hell, it may be fun to see how bad it is. So, before I even got control of my character my girlfriend and I were laughing at the horrible fucking everything from the word go.
    And then I got control...and it got worse. I walked a bit, and we cracked up at animations that were utterly disgusting to look at. And then I got into a fight, and was blown away at how horrible the combat system seemed to be. There is one, possibly two Mortal Kombat-like blood splatter animations, plus the sword swing animation is just...unpleasant.
    I had to strain to read the text in the menu's, which were also shit.
    The dialogue is ridiculous...for a minute. Then you realize it just keeps going...and you realize it's just boring.

So, I will cop to the fact that I played for all of 10 minutes before I turned this pile of shit off. But I had to share that my stomach actually started to hurt because this was so horrible. It was physically painful to play.
    I think I have to play Oblivion to get the taint off...or maybe I'll just play Mount&Blade because its graphics feel less ugly and its actually fun.

Malach on
    Lynch2028.png
  • Options
    earthlessearthless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man... where to even start?

This has to be one of the worst games I have ever played in a very long time. And that goes for any console and PC gaming included.

The graphics were akin to what I remember playing on my PS1 on a 19" tube TV with an RF connection. And this was on my fancy shmancy 62" Samsung HDTV with a VGA connection.

But after some five minutes in I thought to myself, "Nah, I will give it a chance and not be so damn superficial... give the actual gameplay a shot.."

Boy was I wrong, dead wrong.

The controls were absolutely horrible. Simply trying to kill some wild boars encountered after the first scene was a major task. Dying twice is the only thing that got me through those damn walking bacon bits.

I could go on and on.. but I really only was able to bear 15 minutes of this game. I simply could not believe how bad it is and felt pain in my gamer heart for those that went and bought the game. Let alone those that actually sprung for the "collectors edition".

earthless on
    earthless.png
  • Options
    falling_stonefalling_stone Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    the opinions on this game are so Black and White!!

I guess I'm going to rent it and imbibe some mind opening potions to enjoy this game :-(

falling_stone on
    This sig is too small - Elki :P
    snowfalling.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    the opinions on this game are so Black and White!!
    They really are!

I hated the first 20-30 minutes and almost regretted buying the game, but things started to fall into place for me. Nine hours in and I'm really enjoying this game. For all its quirks, it's got a vast, fun world to explore.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    earthlessearthless Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I'm I just an idiot (well I am) but why is it so hard to fight three simple boars right at the onset of the game?!

earthless on
    earthless.png
  • Options
    Kid_CasualKid_Casual Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    earthless wrote: »
    I'm I just an idiot (well I am) but why is it so hard to fight three simple boars right at the onset of the game?!

This game has possibly the worst opening evar. Starts off very difficult. Once you start stacking weapons and making potions it gets super easy.

This game makes me feel very confused. Its terrible, with a low framerate, combat that feels like you are trying to fight in a swimming pool, and probably the worst dialogue and voice acting ive ever heard. On the other hand, its a huge world, that can be very beautiful, and is alot of fun to explore.

If you can suffer through the first half hour or so, it starts to get better. Also very helpful in combat is the jumpback button. All the enemies seem to have a tell right before they swing, so you can dodge if you are fast enough.

Kid_Casual on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    earthless wrote: »
    It's not you, it's the game. The first few combats are very tough, especially that first batch of wild creatures. You have pretty much nothing in the way of equipment, so yeah, you'll get killed a few times.

Things get easier very fast. When you get down the hill to the village you'll get some gear. By the end of the first hour you'll have okay equipment and plenty of gold. (Never be shy about spending money in this game. The gold comes fast and furious.) From there you should roll just fine.

I had trouble with my first orc encounter, coasted for a long while, and got beaten up pretty badly in my first encounter with giant beach scorpions.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, the dodge button is key, and get yourself a two handed weapon if you can. That increases your range and your swing arcs are pretty wide, so you don't have to get so close and you can end up hitting an entire group with your swings.

But renting it first seems to be recommended. Just make sure you play a little more than five to ten minutes. It does start off a little bad. Screw the main story, too. Take your guy out to all the villages around the game world and do side quests.

And if you decide you like it, consider getting it for the PC. The graphics are far better than on the 360, and I know this owning both. The textures in the 360 version are so muddled and blurry compared (mainly clothing/armor textures) to the PC one, that I couldn't take it anymore. The multiplayer is also better on the PC. And the SDK has been released, so we have the possibility of getting some mods (there's already a site dedicated to Two Worlds and mods; so far it's just retextured equipment and a mod to change your gender or race in the singleplayer game).

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Say, anyone know a site with potion recipes? I have an inventory filled with ingredients, but when I try to do perm effect potions with perm effect ingredients, I get totally unexpected results. What happened to the perm effects? I don't know. Gah!

I'm not interested in trying all sorts of combos, saving and reloading until I get the results I'm looking for. I'd sooner get right to the good stuff so I can clear my inventory and get back to slashing dudes up.

Thanks in advance.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Say, anyone know a site with potion recipes? I have an inventory filled with ingredients, but when I try to do perm effect potions with perm effect ingredients, I get totally unexpected results. What happened to the perm effects? I don't know. Gah!

I'm not interested in trying all sorts of combos, saving and reloading until I get the results I'm looking for. I'd sooner get right to the good stuff so I can clear my inventory and get back to slashing dudes up.

Thanks in advance.

If you're trying to make a potion with perm ingredients, throw a mana potion into the mix. That will ensure that you get a perm stat-boosting potion as the result. It HAS to be a mana potion.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    FANTASTIC, thanks. Though I'm playing a hack and slash warrior, I've been scooping up all those mana potions regardless. Glad I did.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Geez, or I could have looked here at the keen alchemy simulator this site has. Not a bad little tool, that.

That's what I get for not Googling before asking.

Anyway, thanks, Samphis. The tip is much appreciated.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Gamefly has this on special for a limited time for 32$. I'm giving it a shot.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Geez, or I could have looked here at the keen alchemy simulator this site has. Not a bad little tool, that.

That's what I get for not Googling before asking.

Anyway, thanks, Samphis. The tip is much appreciated.

I miss the days when we were allowed to just say, "http://www.google.com, mother fucker! Do you use it?" when someone asked a question without consulting the all-powerful Google.

Now we get in trouble when we do it. :(
    I know, it's an asshole thing to say to someone, but sometimes I'm an asshole.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Finally started adventuring south of the river and was pleasantly surprised by the variety of terrain and locations. Just about everything north of the river is generic Western European countryside, not unlike Oblivion. It's fine, but rather samey. In the south you get all sorts of flavors. Bamboo forests, barren lava-strewn wastelands, deserts complete with dust storms and twisters, lush forests, misty and dank forest, swampy fields. Good stuff! I'm totally digging exploring this area.

Oh, and I managed to get a horse to teleport with me on the 360 version. It's not that hard once you get down the timing. Yay! Saves a lot of hassle.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I would kill an entire town of NPCs for a "Summon Horse" spell.

Samphis on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Oh, and I managed to get a horse to teleport with me on the 360 version. It's not that hard once you get down the timing. Yay! Saves a lot of hassle.

Feel free to share Mr Not Sharing Guy.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Feel free to share Mr Not Sharing Guy.
    Ahhh, sorry. I could have sworn it was discussed back in the thread, but that may have been on another board.

It's pretty easy, really. Go to a teleporter. Stand on the opposite side of the teleporter as your horse, just about on the fringe of the structure.

Whistle for your horse.

If all goes well, he'll run inside and be standing right over the teleport.

Now go inside. You'll notice the icons switch back and forth from teleport to horsie when you move.

Here's the tricky part. Click to get on your horse. As your guy gets on his horse, the icon should switch to the teleport icon. If you press it just as you're about to finish sitting in the saddle so that the port activates just as you finish, the horse will come with you.

Works on both 360 and PC.

Once I got that down, I moved some horses near ports so that if I lost one in the field, I could quickly port over, grab a new one and bring him back to where I left off.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    I would kill an entire town of NPCs for a "Summon Horse" spell.

"Samphis - Now with More Richard III"

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Wow, I'm actually surprised how much fun this is. The graphics are nothing to speak of but it's certainly not bad. I'm getting pretty sick of wolves every 10 feet tho.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Early on I hacked up every wolf. Pain in the ass when you're on horseback. Now I tend to just roll past them unless I'm directly attacked. When you get to higher levels they're annoying pests of the worst sort.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I liked exploring the vast and varied world this game provides, but wow is that ever a crap ending. The whole main quest, in fact, is shallow as a puddle of piss. The early bit with the warring factions is cool, and the rest feels like total filler.

Cool sandbox game, shitty "epic quest" game.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just rented this, and I actually like the battles, the inventory menu, the general feel of the game.

I have this on the 360 and am about to go out and buy it and tell my buddy to do the same.

but first I want to know how many hours we're looking at, excluding the main quest.

Are there many quests to do?

I really liked the quests and exploration of Morrowind, is this like this?

and what about lag? Does anybody play this on 360 over live? How is the lag? I guess I can try it out for myself, but have any of you played a few hours into Live? what was that experience like?

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I stopped playing the game after about 30 hours. Finished it, with only about half that playtime devoted directly to the main quest. Maybe less a bit less. I still left quite a few quests undone and a LOT, I mean a LOT, of territory unexplored. I'd say there are a solid 15-20 hours of sidequests to do, and loads and loads of territory unrelated to any quest but ripe for exploration. You could double your play time just exploring the map and digging around in the dungeons scattered across the world.

Keep in mind, I rarely teleported, preferring to make my way around on horseback. That may have extended my playtime somewhat.

I haven't played it online, so I can't speak for the lag.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thank Shoe

Can anyone elaborate more?

I mean, I've played Morrowind, and anyone who's played that (on the Xbox anyways) knows it's very laggy and had very bad issues.

I don't mind though, becauser I absolutely love this game.

I just hope it won't become unplayeable a bit later, or at all over Live.

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but can anyone tell me how this game is for multiplayer on PC?

Have they fixed the crashes? What exactly can you DO in multiplayer?

I imagine Oblivion but running along with a friend or 7 as you complete quests. Am I wrong?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I dunno, I played the demo for about 5 minutes and vowed never to touch this piece of garbage again.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=47859&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
    Set several years after the original, The Temptation is an add-on that will put a greater emphasis on the Elves, a race that played only a marginal role in Two Worlds. The expansion will feature all-new regions to explore, new enemies (giant spiders, flying demons, etc.), improved AI and NPC behavior, reworked Drak'ar and Oswaroh environments, the ability to actively repel hits with your shield and much more. Developed by Reality Pumps, The Temptation, originally the name for the PS3 port, is currently scheduled for Q2 2008.

Well, yay. Maybe they can make it fun too.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    They have some screenshots of the new expansion, too. The graphics look improved. I'm glad you can block with a button now instead of just not attacking and hoping you block.

Here are the three pictures they have up:
    2W_TT_01_1280.jpg
    2W_TT_02_1280.jpg
    2W_TT_03_1280.jpg

Dashui on