As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The historic Notre Dame cathedral was on fire

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    surely even the catholic church would dig deep into its coffers to help rebuild it

I think the catholic church will probably help solicit donations

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The artwork is going to be the biggest loss. Good to prioritize saving that, if they can (and without risking life). I'd also consider the books part of that artwork.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, there’s so much in the building that can’t be rebuilt or replaced.

What a fucking tragedy.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I also feel like a lot of people would feel it somehow profane to build a new building on the ruins of the old. I suppose it depends on whether or not they're able to save anything of substance.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I dunno why this shit got said but it did.

• Options
    oh fuck off

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

the fuck

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hahah! Eat shit you sacks of pus!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I also feel like a lot of people would feel it somehow profane to build a new building on the ruins of the old. I suppose it depends on whether or not they're able to save anything of substance.

St Martin's Cathedral in Ypres, Belgium, which was nearly as old, was almost entirely destroyed in World War 1 and the building was raised and wholly rebuilt from the original plans. There is some precedent.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

One of my favourite moments as a tourist ever was my first time in Paris, climbing Notre Dame as the church bells rang. One of the pictures that I took, looking past a gargoyle and over the Seine towards the Eiffel Tower is in heavy rotation as a wallpaper for me. I had planned to go to the cathedral next week to try to get a better version of that picture with a better camera.

I feel... I can’t even describe how I feel. I imagine it’s worse for the Parisians.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Sweet dog whistle, NYPD

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular

The history and spirit can persist, even if the building does not

Gyeongbokgung Palace in Seoul has also been destroyed and rebuilt. Multiple times.

Burned down and rebuilt twice in the 1500's. Then destroyed in the early 1900 during the Japanese occupation.

The most recent rebuild started in 1989, and still has another decade or two of estimated work before it'll be fully restored.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    there's several amazing castles in Japan that have been rebuilt over and over again and are still amazing places

it's just immensely tragic when stuff is destroyed, even if it can be rebuilt

there are stones and trees that were involved in Notre Dame that were planted like a thousand years ago. Today, they burned. Jesus wept.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just read, and this was from half an hour ago, that Notre Dame staff don't think the fire can be put out.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    This fucking sucks. The building burning is terrible, all of the art that will be lost forever is a tragedy.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Oh man, my bet is one of the renovation workers feels like a real jerk right now.
    There's going to be a lot of people who react in extreme fashion against the worker(s) in question, who probably feel awful enough as it is.

the sorts of people you'd expect this shit from are already spreading conspiracies about the fire being deliberately set by muslims/antifa/fill in the blank

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

Yeah. Me too. I think we'll both have the same impact in the end.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I sincerely hope everyone involved does what they can to prevent the names of the workers who accidently started the fire from being released. The public reaction would be unfathomably bad.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    As a Catholic, I’m fairly gutted right now. At least no one has been reported hurt.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    that building can be replaced

the firefighters can't

praying for them

Xehalus on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It's a building, not a dog. My house didn't die when the roof caved in.

• Options
    I've never looked closely at Notre Dame photos before or really explored what was inside it via photos. So of course I'm seeing this amazingly pretty thing after it's confirmed destroyed. :(

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Boy, I sure wasn't expecting to suddenly get choked up about this when I went to do laundry.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

hey this is maybe not the right time or place to be making this very fatuous and inappropriate comparison!

• Options

this is astonishingly reductive and insensitive to the point that I don't understand what made you think it was a good thing to post right now

• Options
    Lindsay Ellis just tweeted this, making a good point.
    Yeah I wish the "we can rebuild!!" takes would take a backseat. You can't replace an 800-year-old rose window. You can't replace original technological innovations. Hugo's whole focus on the building was as a cultural piece that outlasted its time, and that's no longer true.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Your house wasn't filled with countless pieces of irreplacable art and didn't serve as a cultural icon for an entire nation

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

It was dope when your house was a symbol for an entire nation and collection of people, and bore that collected emotional investment for centuries, and was home to irreplaceable art and history

Side note, totally unrelated - it's really cool when people are sad about a thing and folks chime in to say "it's dumb to be sad about this." It's a good look 100% of the time.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options

cool well glad your centuries old house, which housed irreplaceable artwork and was the cultural centre of a nation was fine

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    It won't be the same anymore, but that it won't have any cultural value left isn't true, either.

• Options
    I'm sitting here in bed unable to sleep because of how much I am crying about this (and how much I am dearly hoping no life was lost)

to think that someone would make some shitty jip about it not being a dog or whatever is just mindblowing to me

• Options
    hey also a reminder that some very smart folks made laser scanner images of Notre Dame (and a bunch of other major buildings) and it's exceptionally comprehensive and thorough

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/150622-andrew-tallon-notre-dame-cathedral-laser-scan-art-history-medieval-gothic/

been delving into some of their images the past half hour or so

• Options
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    apart from the building, I can't think of any building that contains as much western pre-industrial history, in the form of books and art, short of the Vatican itself

I don't know if they took some of this stuff out before renovation (you would think so!), but this is like... Library of Alexandria levels of history burning

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Like, people are gutted when their irreplacable personal mementos, photographs, videos, sentimental items are destroyed by house fires.

This is that but on a cultural scale.

It's one thing to make a joke to try and create some levity, but to just put people down for being affected by such a massive event is just shitty.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It won't be the same anymore, but that it won't have any cultural value left isn't true, either.

why do you feel the need to do this

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    that question was mostly rhetorical and you should go and do something else with your time

• Options
    Even the manner in which the building was constructed in the first place is irreplaceable. Yeah you can reconstruct but it'd be far from the same thing.

• Options
    the stained glass windows might actually be irreplaceable