As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel! FINE I'LL CHANGE THE TITLE NEW STUFF BLADE IS BACK

19495969798100»

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    The us needs to keep starting wars so frank castle will always have somewhere to have fought

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    The us needs to keep starting wars so frank castle will always have somewhere to have fought
    The US has been in the Middle East for around 18 years, so there's that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    I think finding in text reasons to deal with the fact these characters are still operating/don't age/or are tied to increasingly distant history is supremely unnecessary. Like we all get it, it's fiction. The Simpsons don't age and neither does Tony Stark.

Marvel characters do age, though. Slowly, but they do. Peter Parker graduated High School in 1967. Kitty Pryde was 14 in 1981, and she's twenty-something now.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think we can acknowledge that at a point they stop aging. Or will constantly reboot to late twenties/early thirties.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    most characters reach the ripe age of Adult Whose Age Is Not Relevant To The Story

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I mean in the sense that comic book dead is a pretty meaningless state you bounce back from in like two story arcs

Right, but my point is that in universe, she has already gone dark and villainous extremely recently.

Killing Tony Stark is an act of purest heroism

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    So History of the Marvel Universe #3, out this week, has invented the idea that the Vietnam War, here called the "Siancong War", lasted for decades, and that Reed Richards, Ben Grimm, James Rhodes, and Frank Castle all fought in it.

the vietnam war did last decades. There is no official war declaration date, but it's largely considered to have started in 1955 and lasted until 1975

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I have faith in the ability of the US to keep getting into wars.

(I also have faith in the ability of the mods to provide us with a new thread.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    also history of the marvel universe sounds like it suuuuuuuuucks
    I was into it when it was announced cause Javier Rodriguez kicks ass and I like Waid like 70% of the time

But christ it is genuinely just dry ass wiki narration for 6 issues

Who thought that would be compelling???

i dunno, but he's currently writing x-men

As someone who likes Hickman, this still cracked me up.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It is just wild to see disney weaponize their fanbase for... contract negotiations

Why do you think Disney is doing this? D23 is tomorrow and Tom Holland is going to be there.

Why would Disney want this to get out days before their big event?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Closing this thread out with a @WeedLordVegeta alert

They are bringing back 2099 for a series of one shot specials

Including

Doom 2099

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Marvel 2099 animated movie pl0x

• Options
    nkbo686fagwp.jpg
    This is very stupid and very good

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Marvel is also teasing Spider-Man and Black Cat getting married in a Black Cat Annual, which is pretty funny to me.

https://www.newsarama.com/46635-marvel-planning-spider-man-and-black-cat-marriage-this-november.html

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    nkbo686fagwp.jpg

Wow, way to rip off The Warlord?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    It is just wild to see disney weaponize their fanbase for... contract negotiations

Why do you think Disney is doing this? D23 is tomorrow and Tom Holland is going to be there.

Why would Disney want this to get out days before their big event?

That seems like perfect timing to weaponize a fanbase for contract negotiations

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    nkbo686fagwp.jpg
    I liked it better when it was called X-O Manowar.

• Options
    Y'all remember that "Iron Man and X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal" video game? The 90s were wild.

• Options
    Apparently Star Wars is ending with November's #75.

Bummer that Pak and Noto are getting such a short run, I really liked that first issue.

Fully expect a big relaunch just in time for Rise of Skywalker hype

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I wonder with the new trilogy ending if they'll bump the title up to the modern Star Wars time period. Gotta start codifying that as the main one I imagine.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Y'all remember that "Iron Man and X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal" video game? The 90s were wild.

I think I had that on my Sega Saturn, it was alright.

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I wonder with the new trilogy ending if they'll bump the title up to the modern Star Wars time period. Gotta start codifying that as the main one I imagine.
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the big mystery thing they are teasing for December

Both of their SW minis will end in December and Doctor Aphra is wrapping up a run titled "Rogue's End"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    So Star Wars takes place a long time ago, right? Anyone ever explore what that universe looks like in the present day?

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I dunno about present day, but there was a comic series set a decent amount of time after, with a resurgent Sith Empire and Cade Skywalker, Luke's descendant, who smoked Deathsticks to keep Luke's force ghost from hassling him about not saving the galaxy.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    So Star Wars takes place a long time ago, right? Anyone ever explore what that universe looks like in the present day?

This is honestly what I’ve been hoping for from Rian’s trilogy. Rather than just being locationally different.

How crazy would it be to start a movie with “Right now in a galaxy far, far away”

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »

This is honestly what I’ve been hoping for from Rian’s trilogy. Rather than just being locationally different.

How crazy would it be to start a movie with “Right now in a galaxy far, far away”
    Unless that movie ends with a Skywalker IRL bursting through my living room wall and telling me that I have to come with them, because I am their galaxy's only hope, no deal.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, the only reason to set it in modern times is to be able to have Star Wars stuff show up on earth, which I'm not super into.

EDIT: Unless they sidestep the "why do humans exist in another galaxy long before we even had the viable ability to go to our own moon?" by having all characters be weird starfish aliens and explain that the Star Wars WE watched was just humanified for our benefit.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i thought humans in star wars were aliens that just so happen to look like humans

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Yeah it's called Warhammer 40,000

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the only reason to set it in modern times is to be able to have Star Wars stuff show up on earth, which I'm not super into.

EDIT: Unless they sidestep the "why do humans exist in another galaxy long before we even had the viable ability to go to our own moon?" by having all characters be weird starfish aliens and explain that the Star Wars WE watched was just humanified for our benefit.

I disagree, I think it would just be a funny play on words/expectations and a way to communicate that it takes place eons after the Star Wars stories we know. In my mind it’s still too far away to ever reach Earth

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    We never got Star Wars in the modern day, but we did get it in the 1940s:

18lr796mmhowojpg.jpg

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-lost-indiana-jones-star-wars-crossover-was-really-d-5805510

This discussion has been closed.