Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PlayStation 5] Details revealed.

RoeRoe Registered User regular
edited April 17 in Games and Technology
PlayStation-Logo-796x416.jpg

Lots of talks about creditable sources leaking new PS5 info has been in the news. Yesterday a member of sony confirmed the leaks as well as given some info about the new console.
A Techradar article said:
Running off a bespoke version of the third generation AMD Ryzen chipset (8 cores with the company's new Zen 2 microarchitecture), the forthcoming console will be capable of supporting ray tracing – a complex lighting technique that has so far been the reserve of incredibly high-end PC GPUs. The chipset will also be capable of delivering a new "gold standard" in immersive 3D audio, particularly for those that enjoy playing with a headphone headset attached.
Sony showed a demonstration of an early devkit to Wired in the interview. During a game of Spider-Man a fast travel loading screen took 15 seconds on a PlayStation 4 Pro, but the same task took under a second on the next-gen devkit. It's estimated to be some 19 times faster than a standard SSD in terms of read times.

Gamespot has an article posted aswell.


The console is also supposed to be backwards compatible with PS4 games. It will be able to run games at 8k resolution. The console will still accept discs, but at the same time will use cloud gaming.

Rumors are that the PS5 will cost 500 dollars and there will be a camera inside of the dual shock 5. These rumors have not been confirmed yet.

Roe on
«1

Posts

  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Hmmm the backwards compatibility might be just the thing that makes me skip buying a PS4 this year (and instead just wait for the PS5).

    The hi-def audio sounds nice. Would that require proprietary headphones from Sony, or would any APT-X headphones benefit from that?

  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    $500, eh.

    Hope I don't get get laid off between now and then.

    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    It'll take a hell of a lot to get me in on a console at launch. My pro is only ~1.5 years old, and another year or two is still faster than I'd wanted to make that jump again, especially if the pricetag potentially ends up in the ~$750 Canadian range after exchange and taxes, before games.

    Definitely curious to see what they do, but it'll take a lot to get me onboard as an early adopter.

    ... don't tell Sony, but the words "Launch Title: Horizon Zero Dawn 2" might just seal the deal.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    ShadowhopeRchanenemp123
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I know it's been going on for a while, but this generation of consoles feels like it was incredibly short for some reason. Definitely not feeling like it's time for a new Playstation to come out just yet.

    JazzMan in the MistsRickRude
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I haven't bothered to get a Pro, so now I'll probably wait it out. I still have some work funbux from my anniversary which should take a good bite out of the price.

  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 17
    Burnage wrote: »
    I know it's been going on for a while, but this generation of consoles feels like it was incredibly short for some reason. Definitely not feeling like it's time for a new Playstation to come out just yet.

    Based on the first release date of the primary releases (like, ignoring the Slim and Pro versions and whatnot), Sony has been pretty consistently releasing a new generation every 5-7 years.

    Going by the NA release dates;

    PS: Sept 9, 1995
    PS2: Oct 26, 2000
    PS3: Nov 17, 2006
    PS4: Nov 15, 2013

    Extrapolating from that, a PS5 around Nov 2020 would be 7 years between major revisions, no different than the 3 to 4, and longer than the earlier generation gaps.

    Now, noted, for those of us who joined this generation on the later end of things (Like, Nov 2017, I think), ~3 years is kind of 'quick' feeling to me too, but I get that factually there were people who'd already been into the console for nearly half a decade when I joined in.

    I think part of it is the unfortunate reality of the time scale for these generations of consoles; it feels like it takes years for teams to master whatever quirks are involved and make the games shine, reaching their full potential. Which isn't to say that release titles are inherently bad, but years of experience does show too.

    Of course, that also ignores other console releases that might be adding to the feeling that there's a constant stream of the things coming out.

    Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Hahnsoo1DemonStacey
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    PS4 sales have been dropping, hence it's "time" for PS5. That's always how it works.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I know it's been going on for a while, but this generation of consoles feels like it was incredibly short for some reason. Definitely not feeling like it's time for a new Playstation to come out just yet.

    Based on the first release date of the primary releases (like, ignoring the Slim and Pro versions and whatnot), Sony has been pretty consistently releasing a new generation every 5-7 years.

    Going by the NA release dates;

    PS: Sept 9, 1995
    PS2: Oct 26, 2000
    PS3: Nov 17, 2006
    PS4: Nov 15, 2013

    Extrapolating from that, a PS5 around Nov 2020 would be 7 years between major revisions, no different than the 3 to 4, and longer than the earlier generation gaps.

    Now, noted, for those of us who joined this generation on the later end of things (Like, Nov 2017, I think), ~3 years is kind of 'quick' feeling to me too, but I get that factually there were people who'd already been into the console for nearly half a decade when I joined in.

    I think part of it is the unfortunate reality of the time scale for these generations of consoles; it feels like it takes years for teams to master whatever quirks are involved and make the games shine, reaching their full potential. Which isn't to say that release titles are inherently bad, but years of experience does show too.

    Of course, that also ignores other console releases that might be adding to the feeling that there's a constant stream of the things coming out.

    That and, for me, 2016 until now feels like yesterday. We've been going in warp speed every year. Because of a certain something.

    FencingsaxBurnageJazzShadowhopePenumbraIlpalaMoridin889
  • Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    I know it's been going on for a while, but this generation of consoles feels like it was incredibly short for some reason. Definitely not feeling like it's time for a new Playstation to come out just yet.

    Based on the first release date of the primary releases (like, ignoring the Slim and Pro versions and whatnot), Sony has been pretty consistently releasing a new generation every 5-7 years.

    Going by the NA release dates;

    PS: Sept 9, 1995
    PS2: Oct 26, 2000
    PS3: Nov 17, 2006
    PS4: Nov 15, 2013

    Extrapolating from that, a PS5 around Nov 2020 would be 7 years between major revisions, no different than the 3 to 4, and longer than the earlier generation gaps.

    Now, noted, for those of us who joined this generation on the later end of things (Like, Nov 2017, I think), ~3 years is kind of 'quick' feeling to me too, but I get that factually there were people who'd already been into the console for nearly half a decade when I joined in.

    I think part of it is the unfortunate reality of the time scale for these generations of consoles; it feels like it takes years for teams to master whatever quirks are involved and make the games shine, reaching their full potential. Which isn't to say that release titles are inherently bad, but years of experience does show too.

    Of course, that also ignores other console releases that might be adding to the feeling that there's a constant stream of the things coming out.

    That and, for me, 2016 until now feels like yesterday. We've been going in warp speed every year. Because of a certain something.

    I’m sure you’re thinking of something else, but the certain something that makes my life seem to be going by at warp speed is age. They’re not joking when they say that life speeds up when you get older.

    Topically, I’m looking forward to the PS5. All the PC game store bullshit has firmly removed me from the PC gaming camp and returned me to the loving arms of console gaming. (I mean, releasing a game on a platform but having it exclusive to one store? Fuck off with that. It doesn’t help that Linux development is still a bloody shambles, and Steam has turned into a shovelware mine. I’ve been giving serious thought to having them close my account because I’m so annoyed about the whole thing. But I digress.)

    The addition of backwards compatibility has completely sold me, as I’ll be able to trade my Pro in toward the PS5 and still play all the games I’ve bought digitally.

    Something used to be here. It's gone now.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean I've had 3 kids since the PS4 came out. That alone speeds up time... I wish it'd slow down just a bit.

    Descendant X
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The backwards compatibility is making me happy I held off on a Pro. I will gladly grab one of these at launch for $500 if I can just keep playing PS4 games on it as they come out but with faster load times and such.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
    Descendant XRhesus PositiveBluecyan
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The backwards compatibility is making me happy I held off on a Pro. I will gladly grab one of these at launch for $500 if I can just keep playing PS4 games on it as they come out but with faster load times and such.

    One of the many, many, MANY lessons Sony (presumably) learned from hobbling themselves with the PS3. Weird system architectures are no bueno.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    FencingsaxDemonStaceyurahonkyMoridin889
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    If it does have an NVMe SSD (or similar), I wonder how easy/difficult it will be to upgrade the built-in drive to a larger capacity. The last time I interacted with an NVMEe SSD, it was literally just a small circuitboard that you secured into a slot with a single screw. Maybe there will be a specific enclosure that you pull out to replace/service it? Hopefully, it's not integrated into the motherboard in some way.

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
  • Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    If it does have an NVMe SSD (or similar), I wonder how easy/difficult it will be to upgrade the built-in drive to a larger capacity. The last time I interacted with an NVMEe SSD, it was literally just a small circuitboard that you secured into a slot with a single screw. Maybe there will be a specific enclosure that you pull out to replace/service it? Hopefully, it's not integrated into the motherboard in some way.

    If there's one thing that can be said about Sony, it's that they've never made it difficult to upgrade the HDD in their consoles. I doubt that they'll make it difficult with the PS5.

    Something used to be here. It's gone now.
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Wow, thinking of time, I've had my PS4 longer than my daughter (who just turned six today and has been enjoying Vacation Simulator on the rift immensely).

    That's really bizarre and for me puts the time in context. I still can the PS4 "next gen" too! I've become old.

    On topic - the wired article has me excited but I just love new hardware - I'm mostly excited for the Oculus Quest hopefully next month!

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    but will they allow crossplay? because it's not gonna be backwards compatibility that wins the next generation, it's being able to play with your friends no matter what system they have.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
  • Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    but will they allow crossplay? because it's not gonna be backwards compatibility that wins the next generation, it's being able to play with your friends no matter what system they have.

    I wouldn't put money on it.

    Something used to be here. It's gone now.
    urahonky
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    but will they allow crossplay? because it's not gonna be backwards compatibility that wins the next generation, it's being able to play with your friends no matter what system they have.

    if sony is in the lead again? zero chance. everyone else probably will though. best outcome for crossplay is probably microsoft pulling to parity or a slight lead since they've spoken about opening up crossplay too much to back out now and if they're threatening sony will have to cave. i honestly hope they do i absolutely hate trying to figure out where my friends are playing games, and it leads to me playing multiplayer stuff significantly less because of the hassle.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I think it's about time for this because, and this is just my personal experience... I think the last few years have been good enough that it's going to be really hard to do anything more with the PS4. Nioh, NieR, Horizon, Persona 5, Spiderman, God of War... other than Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding, there's not much else right now down the pipeline. It's gonna be really tough to do better than these last few years, and honestly I'm looking forward to a bit of downtime... I have to catch up on shit.

    wbee62u815wj.png
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    other than Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding, there's not much else right now down the pipeline.

    There's nothing in the pipeline because Sony decided it was time for the PS5. Not the other way around.

    Fencingsax
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    other than Ghosts of Tsushima and Death Stranding, there's not much else right now down the pipeline.

    There's nothing in the pipeline because Sony decided it was time for the PS5. Not the other way around.

    You're probably not wrong, but I still welcome the downtime.

    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I was tempted to upgrade to a pro soon but with bc happening, I'll just wait for this. :D

    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I was tempted to upgrade to a pro soon but with bc happening, I'll just wait for this. :D

    I bought a Pro last week ☹️

  • H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The backwards compatibility is neat, but I want to know how it handles digital game libraries.

    Almost my entire PS4 library is digital since I don't want a bunch of physical stuff cluttering up my room.

    I'm hoping that I'll be able to log onto my PS account on a PS5 and be able to automatically download and play PS4 games, but I'm not putting it past them to make me rebuy stuff until I hear otherwise.

    3DS: 3995-6597-6461 PSN: jthomps_07
    Brainiac 8Rhesus PositiveSnicketysnickurahonkyGenji-GlovesMan in the MistsMoridin889emp123
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So long as I can bring my PS4 games along, I'm in.
    I still won't get one just on faith, but as soon as a title comes along that I need, I'll be there. Odds are it'll be Horizon Zero Dawn 2 or whatever they end up calling it.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The backwards compatibility is neat, but I want to know how it handles digital game libraries.

    Almost my entire PS4 library is digital since I don't want a bunch of physical stuff cluttering up my room.

    I'm hoping that I'll be able to log onto my PS account on a PS5 and be able to automatically download and play PS4 games, but I'm not putting it past them to make me rebuy stuff until I hear otherwise.

    Personally I'm hoping that the architecture similarities will make the cross-generational game period much longer so I can make a move from Pro to inevitable Pro.

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    If it does have an NVMe SSD (or similar), I wonder how easy/difficult it will be to upgrade the built-in drive to a larger capacity. The last time I interacted with an NVMEe SSD, it was literally just a small circuitboard that you secured into a slot with a single screw. Maybe there will be a specific enclosure that you pull out to replace/service it? Hopefully, it's not integrated into the motherboard in some way.

    If there's one thing that can be said about Sony, it's that they've never made it difficult to upgrade the HDD in their consoles. I doubt that they'll make it difficult with the PS5.

    Well it really depends on how this new SSD tech is implemented, If its just a standard NVMe drive on a PCI-E 4 slot that they let you remove then yeah no problem. The way I see it is if its more of a custom solution then there may be a bigger issue.


    The the real issue here two fold:
    1. price, once you get past 1TB SSD's get really fkin expensive.
    2. speed, if the system is being designed in such a way that developers can count on this speed like the Spider-Man demo what do you do to guarantee that.

    The two solutions would be
    1. the default drive is always there baked into the console with an vacant M2 NVMe slot for end user use
    2. allowing external storage on a USB3 bus that would be used as storage that you would transfer stuff back and forth to the faster drive.

    the second is an inelegant but cheaper solution for the end user

    bloodyroarxx on
    Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got the naked chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular

    tylvh4k5gys0.gif
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I can't believe they'll go for a SSD as the main form of storage, getting up to the sizes they'd need would cost way too much.
    I'd expect them to have a regular drive for storage, and the SSD just for running the OS and active games, kind of like how the 360 originally used the HDD.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm definitely in the camp where things like digital sales and crossplay mean basically nothing to me. I still buy mostly physical games and don't really play multiplayer games. On the very small chance I do it's probably on PC.

    The super fast loads times is the number 1 thing I'm excited about. Updated graphics is nice but honestly games that look real good now still look real good. Just being able to keep that quality up with smoother performance in bigger games with fast load times is all it needs to do to sell me on it.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    MS, hopefully, are unlikely to make such massive stumbles again as they did for the Xbox One announcement and pre-launch cycle, so if they're in a reasonable position of parity this time around that would certainly help push the crossplay argument enough for Sony to have to give it more consideration. I for one would love to see that, even though I don't play a ton of multi.

    These load times have me interested, if only because of how they'll balance out having enough solid state storage versus the end cost of the machine. We're already well into the era of 100+ GB games; if they're targeting 8K (for the love of God, why?) that'll push install sizes up even more, so does anything less than 2TB really cut it?

    And where is the next Xbox going to be positioned alongside it?

    It'll be interesting to watch, most definitely.

    Fuck 8K, though :lol:

  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    idk how you would use some sort of small working SSD without very long startup load times as you read the entire game off the HDD into SSD memory

    but yea anything less than 1TB disc space is functionally a non-starter with how many 100gb games I have.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    MS' strategy right now is clear - zero barriers, full crossplay, the XBox is merely one possible entry point to their broader gaming ecosystem. I think that's a very progressive strategy that will work well for them. My impression is that Sony is more conservative, for instance they are extremely reluctant about crossplay which I think will hurt them. If I want to play a multiplayer game with friends, I'd rather play on the "XBox + PC + Switch" combined platform than the "PS4 Only" platform.

  • Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    I suspect there are still a lot of people for whom brand loyalty is primary and will buy the PS5 regardless of cross-play.

    Something used to be here. It's gone now.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    klemming wrote: »
    I can't believe they'll go for a SSD as the main form of storage, getting up to the sizes they'd need would cost way too much.
    I'd expect them to have a regular drive for storage, and the SSD just for running the OS and active games, kind of like how the 360 originally used the HDD.

    Not really. You can get a Crucial 1TB NVMe drive for 129 bucks right now on Amazon. That price is falling all the time. Given that Sony can get those drives way, way cheaper than we can at scale, and those prices are likely to be reasonable enough by a late 2020 PS5 release.

    Unless you want one of the high end Samsung or Intel drives, you can get plenty of cheap SSD storage at this point.

    GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Don't SSDs fail pretty consistently after 3-4 years?

  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    With Epic Games stating they'd be openly sharing their tech that allows for crossplay, hopefully more games and consoles will see the light.

    Console exclusives can be some frustrating bullshit, but I could accept a year or two of them being the focus to drive hardware sales. Once someone is committed and has it, why not just start allowing people to buy games they can play with their friends? I have doubts there are that many people who say "boy, I wish I could play *Insert New Game Here* with my friends, but I lack the console... okay I'll just buy the game and the console!".

    I'm aware that across the whole lifespan of the system/generation, there's always new people buying in, but I still think it's frustratingly short sighted all the same.

    Maybe if we're lucky, more companies will follow EG and be like 'oops, how'd that happen, oh well now we have crossplay', but I guess making billions per year put Fortnite into a unique position not many third parties or subsidiaries will ever be able to pull off.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Don't SSDs fail pretty consistently after 3-4 years?

    they get about 100,000 cycles for each bit. if you're constantly writing and rewriting, that can be not very long at all, or extremely long.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    For a playstation, though.

  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Don't SSDs fail pretty consistently after 3-4 years?

    they get about 100,000 cycles for each bit. if you're constantly writing and rewriting, that can be not very long at all, or extremely long.
    Yeah, it really depends on how often you are writing to the disk. Theoretically, for normal console gamer usage (where you are installing large games once, adding occasional patches, along with save data and video/image capture), it should last much longer than a SSD under normal Home PC or Enterprise usage. Current NVMe M.2 SSDs range from 160 Terabytes Written (TBW) to over a thousand (if we are talking about the new Samsungs). Intel Optane is even more reliable, but it's not NAND, and it's proprietary (and unlikely to be used in this case).

    Let's say excessive usage is writing around 20GB a day (games can be in the 100s of GB lately, but you are only going to install it once, and then you'll play it for a while). Even at the low end (160 TBW), we are talking about 20 years of use at that level of usage. Older drives (which is a possibility) are around 70TBW, but that's still over 9 years at that level of usage.

    I mean, I can definitely see instances where someone might exceed 20GB of writing day per day as a gamer, but that would be on the level of console game reviewer or streamer (who would constantly be installing/removing games), and you'd have to work pretty hard to have that level of churn in terms of writing data.

    This all depends, of course, on how much the OS is writing to the drive as well, which could add some overhead.

    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MHGU: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.