As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Correcting my internal monologue to avoid misgendering people

FryFry Registered User regular
It's recently come to my attention that some people I interact with socially on a semi-regular basis prefer they/them pronouns. In my head, I've been referring to those individuals with gendered pronouns for a while, and I'm finding it challenging to break that habit. Indeed, even writing this post has been a challenge not to gender them.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for ways I can go about re-training my brain to address those people correctly?

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Practice. The more you use the new pronouns, the more automatic it'll get. Tell yourself stories about them in your head, if it helps - just silly inconsequential stuff like "they went to the store" "they ate a banana" etc., while picturing them doing that thing, to help build the mental association between the person and the pronouns.

I have a cousin who used to use female pronouns and now prefers male. I don't see him very often, and obviously I don't want to misgender him out of habit when I do see him, so this is basically what I did. Currently I'm at a point where thinking of him as "he" isn't quite automatic, but "she" feels clearly wrong, so, progress?

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Start they'ing everyone?

"Where's [person]? They were putting their laundry away the last time I saw them."

Doesn't seem like it would ruffle any feathers or draw many odd looks.

Preprogrammed phrases are what give me trouble. I've recently started making progress saying "Thank you, much" because I can't break the cadence of "Thank you, (ma'am/sir)" and need to fill in a third word or the others will tumble out.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Default "they" helped me a lot. This may or may not help you but I play a lot of digital card games and I realized that in my internal monologue I would always default to "he" for my opponent. I forced myself to switch to "they" and it has had a huge effect not only when I'm playing the games.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    You could just use their name, too.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Always remind yourself of their pronouns when you're thinking about them. Remind yourself constantly, until you've internalized them. If you get it wrong, correct yourself. I don't know that there's any magic method to it, it's just repetition until you've internalized it.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2019
    Fry wrote: »
    It's recently come to my attention that some people I interact with socially on a semi-regular basis prefer they/them pronouns. In my head, I've been referring to those individuals with gendered pronouns for a while, and I'm finding it challenging to break that habit. Indeed, even writing this post has been a challenge not to gender them.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for ways I can go about re-training my brain to address those people correctly?

Do you have a pet?

Well, now they are a non-binary pet! They're surprised you didn't pick up on it sooner.
    My wife had some training where someone suggested a gender neutral pet to get used to working with people with gender neutral pronouns. This was the day before we got our cat, so now we have a non-binary cat and it's great. There's a note in their chart that Squid is non-binary because our vet is amazing. Also, it's very interesting to see who ends up not noticing that the cat is non-binary in conversation but genders them male.

Anyway, that seems like a joke, but it's actually super useful and I would recommend it, if you have a pet. At least, it's useful for getting used to they/them pronouns. It probably will help with changing to them, too.

Shivahn on
  • Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    I have an interesting anecdote that's.. Kinda the opposite problem?

I'm a social worker, (specifically as a DSP at the moment), so I've been trained to ask for and use preferred pronouns by reflex at this point - but the people I support currently expect a Sir/Ma'am as a matter of respect and consistency, so when I avoid using gendered language, they notice and call me out for it.

But yeah, as to Ops request, the best practice I had was a co-worker who was willing to aggressively correct me, at my request. I actively tried not to mess up, but it took a while and the occasional embarrassing public correction, but once it was the default, it just comes as easily as the original gendered language.

I'd also like to add - in my experience, most folks who have preferred pronouns are also understanding of mistakes as long as your making an effort. The folks who jump straight into righteous indignation were looking to argue, not correct or problem-solve.

(And I guess for some more background, my wife, although filling traditionally female roles and pronouns, considers herself non-binary. So the dynamic can be much more complex than just pronouns too =p)

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    When my sister told me she was trans the main thing that helped me was not making a distinction between memories before she told me and ones after. So, for example, one of my earliest memories is of when my parents brought her home from the hospital. Even though for 20-odd years I'd have said "him," that was just me being mistaken.

(Interestingly, I was in the middle of an Arabic course when she told me and my teachers noticed when I started using different gender forms talking about my family. That was a lot of fun to explain to native Arabic speakers. At least English is comparitively pretty easy on the gender markers.)

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I avoid nouns...because my memory is shit and I can't remember names very well. So I'll just start conversations with a greeting, morning, afternoon evening, maybe even good if I'm feeling salty.

Then just talk to them. At work "Hey I sent that thing to you." If you just avoid it at all you won't need to mis-gender anyone because there is no spoon.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does English have a decent gender neutral sir/ma'am?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Brody wrote: »
    Does English have a decent gender neutral sir/ma'am?

Nothing established. I don't know if people have tried to invent any.

There are gender neutral terms to refer to people ("Friend" is one. "Nerd" is another.) but they all carry baggage.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    "guys" gets used as one, but that's not great.

edited April 2019
    MichaelLC wrote: »

"Guys," like "dudes," may be considered to be gender-neutral by some, but historically speaking they were used as masculine-coded words, so there's understandably a portion of people for whom terms like that don't feel gender-neutral at all.

But there's only a lack of singular gender-neutral terms for usage in English. For addressing more than one person, "y'all" is gender-neutral.

DarkPrimus on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

"Guys," like "dudes," may be considered to be gender-neutral by some, but historically speaking they were used as masculine-coded words, so there's understandably a portion of people for whom terms like that don't feel gender-neutral at all.

But there's only a lack of singular gender-neutral terms for usage in English. For addressing more than one person, "y'all" is gender-neutral.

I usually try and use y'all or folks for plural address, but I was curious more about the formal application.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    I mean, I suppose you can use something like "everyone" or "all of you" if you're worried about appearances in more formal situations... but I'm also not a huge fan of formalities for the sake of formality.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

I usually try and use y'all or folks for plural address, but I was curious more about the formal application.

I always just default to title and last name at work when sending an email to someone I don’t know.

“Area Director ______”
    “Inspector ______”

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

"Y'all" is singular. "All Y'all" is plural.

I grew up under the impression that "all y'all" was for addressing a group of people larger than you can count on both hands.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure "all y'all" is exclusively for when the next word is going to be "motherfuckers."

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »

What? No.

Y'all is for a small group, but always more than one person. Else you would say "You" "Y'all come back now, ya hear?" and "You come back now, ya hear?" and so forth. Its a contraction of you and all to begin with.

All Y'all is for multiple groups, or for a very large group and emphasizing that fact. Same as with "All of you All" being used in non-southern slang to specific, specifically, that the speaker is addressing each and every one in a group.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Madpoet wrote: »

What? No.

Y'all is for a small group, but always more than one person. Else you would say "You" "Y'all come back now, ya hear?" and "You come back now, ya hear?" and so forth. Its a contraction of you and all to begin with.

All Y'all is for multiple groups, or for a very large group and emphasizing that fact. Same as with "All of you All" being used in non-southern slang to specific, specifically, that the speaker is addressing each and every one in a group.

The extent of my knowledge on this comes from a southern comedienne saying it, and a friend laughing in agreement, but in looking for that clip I found something interesting: The idea that y'all can be singular might come from northerners misinterpreting the fact that southerners will use it to address a single person who is a member of a larger group. From that article:
    You can walk into a store and say to the clerk, “Y’all got any eggs?” But every Southerner knows that this is not really a form of singular address. The “y’all” in that case means “you and your associates.”

That said, and to bring this back to the actual subject, if we can bend the rules around "they/them", then we can do so for "y'all" as well, and I've been using it in that way for a while.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Hello fellow human being.

This is not a joke post.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Peeps is another one. Cept for around easter you'll just make everyone crave sugar

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    A recent favourite group address I've heard used by a theatre troupe I love to death is "guys, gals, and non-binary pals".

As for internalizing the they/them pronouns, yeah, it's just practice. I've gotten better at it lately in part because I have a few friends who prefer non-gendered pronouns and partly because I've started working in admin in a school where there are many students from lots of different cultures and honestly I'm not always sure of their gender when reading their name, so if I'm talking to parents and I'm not sure, "they" has become my safe bet.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Anome wrote: »
    A recent favourite group address I've heard used by a theatre troupe I love to death is "guys, gals, and non-binary pals".

As for internalizing the they/them pronouns, yeah, it's just practice. I've gotten better at it lately in part because I have a few friends who prefer non-gendered pronouns and partly because I've started working in admin in a school where there are many students from lots of different cultures and honestly I'm not always sure of their gender when reading their name, so if I'm talking to parents and I'm not sure, "they" has become my safe bet.

"Guys, gals, and non-binary pals" a bit of a mouthful but I like it.

For groups I generally default to "Hey, people" or if it's late enough and people are drunk enough "Hey, shitheads" :P

Singular I find that just "hey" is usually enough to get someone's attention.

• AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    Anome wrote: »

"Guys, gals, and non-binary pals" a bit of a mouthful but I like it.

Oh it totally is. It's less for every day use and more used to address and audience in a theatre. But I love it and like to share it in case people are likely to be in a public speaking context and want to add a little flourish :)