Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    So. Has anyone in here hired an electrician to run extra outlets in an existing house? Even better if it’s someone in the semi-rural South? I’d just like to have an idea of the price range i might be working with before I start thinking about getting estimates.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    So my new house has a single wall jack with 3 ethernet ports labeled CAT5e.

I haven't found out where they go yet. Let the detective work begin!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    So. Has anyone in here hired an electrician to run extra outlets in an existing house? Even better if it’s someone in the semi-rural South? I’d just like to have an idea of the price range i might be working with before I start thinking about getting estimates.

You'll be paying $75-175 an hour for that, so expect it to be in the realm of ~$120 per outlet. Rural will be on the upper end of the spectrum.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, don't @ me
    MNC DoverN1tSt4lker
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Welp, talked with the ethernet guy today. He said they'd need to take down some sheetrock/drywall to run stuff and they don't put it back up, so I'll probably need to hire someone else to do that if I go down that route. I dunno how much it costs to hire someone to replace/mud the sheetrock/drywall they'll take down, but it sounds expensive. I should get a quote back from him for the ethernet stuff next week, so I guess I'll see then.

The thread title has never felt more real :|

That seems excessive just to run ethernet. If you have easy access say from a basement it shouldn't take much more than some drillin' and snakin' to run ethernet in existing walls.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    matt has a problemQanamilMNC DoverSoggybiscuit
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Welp, talked with the ethernet guy today. He said they'd need to take down some sheetrock/drywall to run stuff and they don't put it back up, so I'll probably need to hire someone else to do that if I go down that route. I dunno how much it costs to hire someone to replace/mud the sheetrock/drywall they'll take down, but it sounds expensive. I should get a quote back from him for the ethernet stuff next week, so I guess I'll see then.

That seems excessive just to run ethernet. If you have easy access say from a basement it shouldn't take much more than some drillin' and snakin' to run ethernet in existing walls.

You ever try to fish cat6 cable up an insulated wall?

camo_sig.png
    a5ehren
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Warning: Mothership Reporting Richland, WARegistered User regular

The problem I guess is that the basement already has the ceiling/drywall up and I don't have an attic, so routing stuff becomes a big challenge. I dunno, I might look for someone else in the area to get a quote from them, too. My friend also said that we could probably do it ourselves, tho he hasn't seen the house yet, so idk if the challenge is as serious as the ethernet guy said.

SijLqhH.png
    Steam: stabbitystyle | uPlay: stabbitystyle | b.net: Stabbity#1528 | XBL: Stabbity Style | PSN: Stabbity_Style | Twitch: stabbitystyle
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

You ever try to fish cat6 cable up an insulated wall?

I've done it with speaker wire. It's more work than a hollow wall but I'd still try fishing the line before I resorted to taking down drywall.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    MNC DoverQanamil
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a home inspector around the Kirkland WA area?

Hey @evilmrhenry, Kirkland home owner high five!

I worked at a Home Theater installation company from 2005-2010. While I focused mostly on lighting control, I did PM lots of AV work and ran tons of wires.

The problem with retrofit work is that every job is different, especially if you don’t know what’s behind the wall. Like others have said, you might be able to do it yourself, depending on what's behind the wall. Since you'll probably want a box/plate at the wire's location, you can cut a hole there and have a look at what's behind the wall. Then you can try fishing a wire and seeing if you can reach the location.

Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    Shadowfire
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Well, closed on my house today! Now I just need to get to packing! Also getting the damn low flow fixture certificate from the damn inspector so I can get the damn water account activated with the county!!

Stabbity StyleJebus314JansonN1tSt4lkerMichaelLCMNC DoverbowenschussElvenshaeShadowfireQuiddispatch.oSyngyneJragghen
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I too have been pondering doing some wire fishing myself. Our walls are old and lack any sort of insulation so it should be easier? Do I need any sort of tools in particular, or just start threading wires and see where it goes?

• MugsleyMugsley Registered User regular
    I bought a Greenlee version of this and it's been such a time saver that it's worth it, even though it's a single use tool.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0026TA6RK/

Bullhead
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So my new house has a single wall jack with 3 ethernet ports labeled CAT5e.

I haven't found out where they go yet. Let the detective work begin!

I mentioned this in another post but Fox Hounds are fucking amazing. Plug one end into the plug, then wave the wand around the wall and follow the wire back to the source. I use them all the time.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    MugsleyBullheadMNC Dover
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    There's a server rack in our basement with a half dozen ports that lead to different rooms in the house. I always feel bad that it goes unused but can't think of anything to do with it.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    There's a server rack in our basement with a half dozen ports that lead to different rooms in the house. I always feel bad that it goes unused but can't think of anything to do with it.

Where are you setting up your main network in the house? There's a few things that you could do with the rack for relatively cheap.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Shadowfire
    Our modem and router are both in the basement, just on the other side of it.

RedTide
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Do you know if the connections to the rooms are live? If so, are any to rooms where you have networked devices? Currently in my home, I have a managed switch as my network backbone, and unmanaged switches in the living room and master bedroom to accommodate all the devices in each. If it's feasible to move the router or run a cable over to the rack, you could get a managed switch to get those ports live.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Do you know if the connections to the rooms are live? If so, are any to rooms where you have networked devices? Currently in my home, I have a managed switch as my network backbone, and unmanaged switches in the living room and master bedroom to accommodate all the devices in each. If it's feasible to move the router or run a cable over to the rack, you could get a managed switch to get those ports live.

Running a length of coax with a coupler in the middle is a simple way to move that modem, special if it's just from one side of a basement to the other.

But

Why

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    There's a very complicated dance of finances and sanity going on for me at the moment. The punchline is the usual "avoid mixing property and family", but the problem is it's this side of impossible to convince my father that DIY renovating a 100 year old house with bad foundations (bricks with lime mortar on clay) is a waste of time and not saving any money.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    But

Why

Think of all the money you could be making losing, with a bitcoin mining operation an expensive space heater!

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    Elvenshae
    There's a very complicated dance of finances and sanity going on for me at the moment. The punchline is the usual "avoid mixing property and family", but the problem is it's this side of impossible to convince my father that DIY renovating a 100 year old house with bad foundations (bricks with lime mortar on clay) is a waste of time and not saving any money.

Tell him if he thinks it can be done better DIY, then he should do it

Bullhead
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Just ordered a Nest E thermostat. My heating system is an older single-stage hydronic system with baseboard radiators. Unfortunately, I only have two thermostat wires, R and W. Went with the Nest because it claims it can work without the C wire. Though, my research indicates that it's essentially a 50/50 gamble whether it can steal enough power to keep its batteries charged. Figure I can keep the old thermostat in the closet as a just in-case it fails out during the coldest, and then figure out how to DIY fish thermostat wiring through my walls (finished above and below, so not so simple.)

Stabbity Style
    edited December 3
    nm

electricitylikesme on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    ExtreaminatusQanamilSporkAndrewStabbity StyleElvenshaeAbsoluteZeroJragghen
    Simps, we had the Gen 1 Nest and it had a Mini-USB plug (not Micro). I'm assuming the E has a charging connection as well. So if it dies for whatever reason, you just need to plug it into the wall or a battery pack. Or top it off if there's a cold snap coming.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    I thought with the Nest systems they basically come with a power pack you install on the furnace end of your system if you do not have a powered thermostat which in turn powers the Nest.

I could be wrong of course considering I do not have one.

edited December 3
    My power company is having a massive sale today and had like a 50%+ off on some LED bulbs and smart thermostat so I grabbed the newest ecobee ($249/200->$99) and like 8 LED bulbs ($15->$2).

If any of you have national grid and are in the north east/NY you might want to check them out.

https://marketplace.nationalgridus.com/

bowen on
    Stabbity StyleElvenshaeBullheadJragghen
    We are besieged! First rain of the season + the ruckus of moving out and moving in to this house has unleashed a plague of earwigs and spiders. Ok, it's like not that many but gross! I've been exterminating them as best I can, but I'll have to take a perimeter run when it dries out with some Ortho or something. Man I hate friggin' earwigs.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    In my old house I had a fence that was absolutely infested with earwigs one year. I could go out and kick the fence and would seriously see no less than hundreds of them. It was fucking gross.
    I learned a lot about earwigs in those days as I was essentially a one man earwig terminator. Honestly the most effective and cheap way to kill them is with soapy water as it coats their exoskeleton and suffocates them.

StraygatsbyDoodmannMugsleyElvenshae
    Just be nice to spiders and put them back outside (while continuing to close up cracks and gaps)

BullheadBlackDragon480N1tSt4lkerchrishallett83Brainleech
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Just ordered a Nest E thermostat. My heating system is an older single-stage hydronic system with baseboard radiators. Unfortunately, I only have two thermostat wires, R and W. Went with the Nest because it claims it can work without the C wire. Though, my research indicates that it's essentially a 50/50 gamble whether it can steal enough power to keep its batteries charged. Figure I can keep the old thermostat in the closet as a just in-case it fails out during the coldest, and then figure out how to DIY fish thermostat wiring through my walls (finished above and below, so not so simple.)

If the wires move at all you could use a bunch of electrical tape to wrap new wires to the old and fish them through that way.

If someone stapled the wires, RIP.

Shadowfire wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »

If the wires move at all you could use a bunch of electrical tape to wrap new wires to the old and fish them through that way.

If someone stapled the wires, RIP.

Yeah, the wire was zip-tied to the conduit that feeds power to the boiler itself, then heads up into a finished ceiling. I should try to stick my phone up into that cavity and try get a picture inside and see if I can still see zip ties. If it's just in the unfinished closet or if it's behind the drywall too. I mean I'm not beyond ripping out some of the drywall ceiling in my basement, but I'd really rather not, especially if it works without.

The wire having zip ties on it isn't a big deal. But if they're stapled to studs, they're staying put until you rip open sheetrock.

First rainstorm of the season survived (and monster 7 day storm no less). No leaks or weird runoff, so I'm feeling pretty good. Still gotta get up and clean out the gutters for realsies when it all dries, though.

Pest control and tree trimming scheduled. Now it's time to go to home depot and bed bath and beyond and just pretend I'm on some kind of game show that I definitely won't have to pay for later...ugh...yay?

MichaelLCDoodmannJragghen
    Congratulations on the Will Ferrell in Old School part of home ownership.

DoodmannStabbity Style
    Progress. A relatively large amount of money will disappear to capital gains tax, but the result will be I guess me and Bulgarian girl can demolish this house and build a new one with modern features like concrete foundations, actual cement in the brick mortar, and no random asbestos fibre cement panels on like, one-wall just to make it more expensive and dangerous to renovate.

CarpyCptHamiltonchrishallett83webguy20Jragghen
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Congratulations on the Will Ferrell in Old School part of home ownership.

I just hope KFC is still open.

Progress. A relatively large amount of money will disappear to capital gains tax, but the result will be I guess me and Bulgarian girl can demolish this house and build a new one with modern features like concrete foundations, actual cement in the brick mortar, and no random asbestos fibre cement panels on like, one-wall just to make it more expensive and dangerous to renovate.

the piece of mind you get from building new is pretty solid

chrishallett83MichaelLCElvenshaewebguy20
    What's the best way to deal with burying abandoned low voltage wiring in walls? Finally got around to tearing out the bedroom closet to renovate it. Finally got around to sawing through the hinges of this strange lockbox we never got a key to. Turns out it wasn't just some sort of lockbox, it was a control panel for some long abandoned security system. I don't even know where the sensors/zones might be. Battery backup was long dead. I'm not reading anything over .05v AC on any of the wires. Do I just cut everything to different lengths, and tape it all up and shove back inside the wall like I would do with abandoned telephone lines? At least on of the lines is marked at least a source from a 110v AC transformer, but that reads dead. However who the hell knows what switch or whatever (there's a lot of switches we have that we can't figure out what they do) would activate it.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 7
    Does anyone know of a corner tv-mount that can change height? I'm thinking about mounting a TV to an L shaped wall that is about 4 feet tall, if mounted in the corner I could easily elevate it to a comfortable height and put a small desk or corner media stand beneath it. I've always kind of just rigged things that look like shit because I lived in apartments, I'd like to do something classy(er) this time.

The other option is just getting a traditional corner entertainment cabinet and bolting the tv to the top of it using the little stand it comes with. My problem is that I have cats who will definitely knock the TV over if it's not secured to something.

image of corner

Edit: The other option is mounting above the gas fireplace, I'm hesitant though. I'd have to get a mount that allows you to pull forward and lower the TV so it's at an appropriate height and I don't like the idea of wrenching on whatever securing device/screws would be going into a thin wall with a vent for a fireplace.

dispatch.o on