As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Education] - Where Silicon Valley Is What's The Matter With Kansas

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    The middle schools delayed their start times by 40 to 60 minutes, and high schools delayed theirs by 70 minutes to ensure they started at or after 8:30 a.m.

What madness is this, they were starting at 7:30???

How else are they going to finish early enough to get home in time to do the afternoon milking?

I think a lot of the current reasons are sports-related? Gotta finish early enough to be able to fit a couple hours of sports after school and before dinner.

Not sure if that's accurate or just a bad guess :D

I wonder about this. Schools here have been starting in the 8-830 range for as long as I can remember. Louisiana is a deep football state too, so I would think the pull would be there. It could be New Orleans is just a little weird on this one as it tends to be weird in general.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    The middle schools delayed their start times by 40 to 60 minutes, and high schools delayed theirs by 70 minutes to ensure they started at or after 8:30 a.m.

I teach at two schools currently. The tardy bell for one is 7.09; tardy bell for the second is 7.25.

• Options
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »

I teach at two schools currently. The tardy bell for one is 7.09; tardy bell for the second is 7.25.

If I remember right you are in Louisiana too right? I am pretty sure I remember where from past posting. It is so weird that the normal start time is so different between the areas. There goes my attempt to say no to sports being the cause.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

If I remember right you are in Louisiana too right? I am pretty sure I remember where from past posting. It is so weird that the normal start time is so different between the areas. There goes my attempt to say no to sports being the cause.

I am, yes! I really wish standardized start times were a thing, but I know exactly how that discussion would go....

I think around here it started as zero hour creep more than sports related. But it was a while back and I wasn't in public education at the time, so I'm not sure. People in semi-important positions keep bringing up the "teenagers work better with later start times!" idea, but it hasn't gone anywhere. I would love it though. We had a storm delay last semester and started an hour later, and just that one hour made such a HUGE difference.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    7:17 start bell for me all through high school. My father is a math teacher and I would ride in with him to work to get there at 6:15 because I would have to wake up even earlier to catch the hour and a half bus ride to school.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

I am, yes! I really wish standardized start times were a thing, but I know exactly how that discussion would go....

I think around here it started as zero hour creep more than sports related. But it was a while back and I wasn't in public education at the time, so I'm not sure. People in semi-important positions keep bringing up the "teenagers work better with later start times!" idea, but it hasn't gone anywhere. I would love it though. We had a storm delay last semester and started an hour later, and just that one hour made such a HUGE difference.

At this point it's been happening for so long there could be a hazing aspect to it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the whole thing with sleep and early school starts has been known for like... thirty years, at least.

But good luck trying to change the opinion of asshole MAGA types who thinks sports are second only to God and that kids trying to actually learn anything should just fuck off anyway.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I always figured it was a practical reason: schools are cheap, buses are expensive
    you usually have three sets of students who need to get to and from, cheaper to deliver them at different times with the same buses
    the window gets spread out enough that some school is always starting at butts oclock in the morning

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    From my experience up here, I would suspect some of it is trying to minimize the number of buses and such needed. So you stagger school start times so a bus can deliver kids to one school and then pick up and deliver to another.

Fucking 7:10am is insane though. When I was going to school it started at 9am and the teachers kept gradually creeping it forward every year till it was 8:30 by the time I left. I think when I sister went it had made it to 8:15.

The other big thing early start-times do is push more after-school-care responsibilities and thus more costs onto parents.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Some of it to get the older kids are home to watch younger siblings. My start times were like 720, 750, 830 HS, MS, Elementary.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    From my experience up here, I would suspect some of it is trying to minimize the number of buses and such needed. So you stagger school start times so a bus can deliver kids to one school and then pick up and deliver to another.

Fucking 7:10am is insane though. When I was going to school it started at 9am and the teachers kept gradually creeping it forward every year till it was 8:30 by the time I left. I think when I sister went it had made it to 8:15.

The other big thing early start-times do is push more after-school-care responsibilities and thus more costs onto parents.

I doubt it was the teacher's moving the times forward but more likely school boards, politicians, and/or administrators, aka people who would never be affected by the time change. So it goes.

I'm sure Bush's failure of No Child Left Behind act and the resulting pressure that caused also forced schools to start earlier in order to cover enough so they weren't stripped of their already minimal funding.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I doubt it was the teacher's moving the times forward but more likely school boards, politicians, and/or administrators, aka people who would never be affected by the time change. So it goes.

I'm sure Bush's failure of No Child Left Behind act and the resulting pressure that caused also forced schools to start earlier in order to cover enough so they weren't stripped of their already minimal funding.

Nope, it was the teacher's union, You can news about them doing it in many places in my experience. Although the google searches are a bit polluted these days with COVID news.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I remember reading news articles on this going back to the late 90s. I remember it distinctly because reading it I though that 9am would be a great start time until I realized where they started. Start times in the 7am range have just been a stupid thing since forever. I don't understand it at all. I was barely functioning when I rolled in for 815-830 range. I was no use to actively hostile before that.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    In highschool I was real particular about getting my first period teacher on side about not marking me tardy when I would circumvent the main entrance and sneak into class like a half hour late.

Sleep on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Basically the major obstacle is making sure that there is someone available to watch the elementary school kids when they are done if you shift schedule. Status quo is they're done 4ish. If you swapped their start time to when high schools start now, they're done between 2 and 3. And if both parents work a traditional schedule you need some sort of child care support. And we're definitely not going to do that.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Basically the major obstacle is making sure that there is someone available to watch the elementary school kids when they are done if you shift schedule. Status quo is they're done 4ish. If you swapped their start time to when high schools start now, they're done between 2 and 3. And if both parents work a traditional schedule you need some sort of child care support. And we're definitely not going to do that.

Another big reason is that people don't want elementary school kids waiting for the bus in the dark in winter.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

Another big reason is that people don't want elementary school kids waiting for the bus in the dark in winter.

The solution in my mind is to then invest in more busses to get kids to school. Pay for it by getting rid of the ridiculous local tax funding situation and tax the hell out of the rich to pay for it. Also, every kid gets to ride to school on a unicorn for their birthday. I figure I might as well put in one realistic goal.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Few years

Modern American education, from pre-k to graduate school, is engineered for the benefit and profit of the wealthy and powerful at the expense of the poor and working class. Public education is designed to break and re-mold children of all dispositions and aptitudes into obedient workers. Attempts to fund anything beyond that are met with resistance. Higher education is a cruel scam, dangling the false hope of independence and security in the faces of young people in a world where those things are in short supply. All you have to do is sign over the majority of yourself. The majority of the fruits of your labor, of your time, of your energy, will go to those who are already wealthy, for an extended period of your time. That’s even if you are able to leverage your education for any advancement at all. More and more, especially lately, the odds go up that you will wind up with zero benefit from your effort while still being expected to pay in full.

I already hated school as a kid without needing special accommodations. Having a special needs child be tortured in this system has left me with a deep, persevering hatred.

By the way, I know we have educators on the forums and I mean no disrespect to them. I absolutely do not want to disparage their hard work and accomplishments.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in what the fuck, it turns out that Ivy League schools have been using the bones of children killed in the MOVE bombing as teaching props - without the permission or even knowledge of the families:
    Two Ivy League institutions, the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton, are facing mounting demands to apologise and make restitution for their handling over decades of the bones of African American children killed by Philadelphia police in 1985.

As calls pour in for action to be taken over the use of the children’s remains as props in an online Princeton anthropology course – without permission from parents of the dead children – there is also rising concern about the whereabouts of the bones.

Fragments belonging to one or possibly two Black children have been held by the universities for 36 years, but now appear to have gone missing.

They are currently in use as a “case study” in an online forensic anthropology course fronted by Princeton that is openly available on the internet. The bones are shown on camera as teaching tools – without the blessing of relatives who were unaware their loved ones’ remains were harboured in academic collections.

Ghoulish doesn't even begin to describe this.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Today in what the fuck, it turns out that Ivy League schools have been using the bones of children killed in the MOVE bombing as teaching props - without the permission or even knowledge of the families:
    Two Ivy League institutions, the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton, are facing mounting demands to apologise and make restitution for their handling over decades of the bones of African American children killed by Philadelphia police in 1985.

As calls pour in for action to be taken over the use of the children’s remains as props in an online Princeton anthropology course – without permission from parents of the dead children – there is also rising concern about the whereabouts of the bones.

Fragments belonging to one or possibly two Black children have been held by the universities for 36 years, but now appear to have gone missing.

They are currently in use as a “case study” in an online forensic anthropology course fronted by Princeton that is openly available on the internet. The bones are shown on camera as teaching tools – without the blessing of relatives who were unaware their loved ones’ remains were harboured in academic collections.

This brings to mind Henrietta Lacks.

And when you think no one could/would be worse than that people always find ways to surprise and disappoint you.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah that's about my general assumption of how Ivy League operates.

• Options
    Bigot teacher sues school district over their not allowing him to be bigoted to students. This is insane - when you publicly say that you will refuse to uphold district policy on treating transgender students with respect and dignity, it should not be a surprise when they decide that you probably shouldn't interact with students.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

This brings to mind Henrietta Lacks.

And when you think no one could/would be worse than that people always find ways to surprise and disappoint you.

Lacks at least has the excuse of being a genuinely novel thing that was very useful for medical research, even if it was still wrong. This is just...what. Even if you need real bones, get them from a volunteer! They're bones, they're not rare!

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Nikole Hannah-Jones tells UNC to go fuck themselves, takes tenured chair at noted HBCU Howard University:
    “I cannot imagine working at and advancing a school named for a man who lobbied against me, who used his wealth to influence the hires and ideology of the journalism school, who ignored my 20 years of journalism experience, all of my credentials, all of my work, because he believed that a project that centered Black Americans equaled the denigration of white Americans. Nor can I work at an institution whose leadership permitted this conduct and has done nothing to disavow it. How could I believe I’d be able to exert academic freedom with the school’s largest donor so willing to disparage me publicly and attempt to pull the strings behind the scenes? Why would I want to teach at a university whose top leadership chose to remain silent, to refuse transparency, to fail to publicly advocate that I be treated like every other Knight Chair before me? Or for a university overseen by a board that would so callously put politics over what is best for the university that we all love? These times demand courage, and those who have held the most power in this situation have exhibited the least of it.

“The Board of Trustees wanted to send a message to me and others like me, and it did. I always tell college students and journalists who are worried that they will face discrimination, who fear that they will be judged not by their work but for who they are or what they choose to write about, that they can only worry about that which is in their own control: their own excellence. I tell them all they can do is work as hard as possible to make themselves undeniable. And yet, we have all seen that you can do everything to make yourself undeniable, and those in power can change the rules and attempt to deny you anyway.

“Since the second grade when I began being bused into white schools, I have been fighting against people who did not think a Black girl like me belonged, people who tried to control what I did, how I spoke, how I looked, the work I produced.

“I have never asked for special treatment. I did not seek it here. All I asked was to be judged by my credentials and treated fairly and equally.

Yeah, UNC deserved this.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Spelling out the acronyms would be helpful.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Spelling out the acronyms would be helpful.

UNC - University of North Carolina, Hannah-Jones' alma mater, who had offered her a chair without tenure due to conservative activists having a shit fit.

HBCU - Historically Black College/University, a designation given to institutions of higher education founded after the Civil War specifically to educate black Americans.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Reading through her statement finally made me realize that the right wing fascist shit heads are trying to do to journalism what they’ve done with the judiciary

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Reading through her statement finally made me realize that the right wing fascist shit heads are trying to do to journalism what they’ve done with the judiciary

Arguably they did it there first.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Schools for the developmentally disabled: because regular schools just aren't fucked up enough
    https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/dc-circuit-overturns-fda-ban-shock-device-disabled-students-2021-07-06/
    A federal appeals court has overturned the Food and Drug Administration's ban on the use of electric shock devices to correct aggressive or self-harming behavior in adults and children at a Massachusetts school for the developmentally disabled.

In a 2-1 opinion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit found that the ban was a regulation of the practice of medicine, which is beyond the FDA's authority. The ruling was a victory for the Judge Rotenberg Educational Center and a group of parents and guardians of its students, which had challenged the regulation.

The FDA *is* allowed to ban a medical device entirely for being unsafe, but is *not* allowed to ban certain unsafe uses. Apparently.

Older a article about how these are used, after the ban:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/decades-long-fight-over-electric-shock-treatment-led-fda-ban-n1265546
    Rico Torres was just eight the first time school staffers strapped electrodes to his legs and shocked him. They draped a 12-volt battery over his shoulders in a backpack, while a nearby teacher held a clear plastic box with a photo of his face attached. When Torres misbehaved, the teacher would reach inside the box and push a button that sent a two-second jolt of electricity coursing through his body.

Under his court-approved treatment plan, Torres could be shocked for threatening to hit another student or for running away, swearing or screaming, refusing to follow directions or "inappropriate urination," according to court records obtained by NBC News. One employee, he said, used to shock him in his sleep.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Starts reading post: Apparently electroconvulsive therapy can be useful in some areas of mental health

Finishes reading post: That ain't it, though, Jesus

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Someone needs to find out who does have the authority to ban it (or impose very strict regulations and oversight of usage)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Someone needs to find out who does have the authority to ban it (or impose very strict regulations and oversight of usage)

By design, it's left up to the doctors and the medical establishment to make that call mostly on an individual basis. This is how we ended up with lobotomies, Tuskegee, and children running behind spray trucks being doused with DDT and other insecticides in the 50s and 60s.

Our society doesn't want to tell people what to do except in those cases where you aren't rich and can't afford lawyers.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options

By design, it's left up to the doctors and the medical establishment to make that call mostly on an individual basis. This is how we ended up with lobotomies, Tuskegee, and children running behind spray trucks being doused with DDT and other insecticides in the 50s and 60s.

Our society doesn't want to tell people what to do except in those cases where you aren't rich and can't afford lawyers.

Doctors and lawyers are two professions which have argued heavily for the right to self police - and have then proceeded to demonstrate why self policing is a horrible idea.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Okay. I can understand why the school would argue for the right to continue torturing its students. The parents and guardians, though, wtf??

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Okay. I can understand why the school would argue for the right to continue torturing its students. The parents and guardians, though, wtf??

A lot of parents consider their kids to be chattel rather than humans, and those types of parents will often think of kids with developmental issues as misbehaving chattel. Plenty of them aren't picky about the methods as long as the kid are compelled to behave in a less inconvenient way.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    And, more charitably for some parents, if you're worried about your children's issues, then someone who presents themselves as an expert can convince or manipulate them into supporting a lot of shit.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    And, more charitably for some parents, if you're worried about your children's issues, then someone who presents themselves as an expert can convince or manipulate them into supporting a lot of shit.

It's also, according to the reporting above, a school for the developmentally disabled. Many of those people are going to be looking for anything they think can help and if a doctor says "this helps" and if they think they see some kind of improvement from it, they will be all for it.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    So, continuing on why law education in this country is fucked, we have a Harvard Law professor openly advocating for genocide:

The author is a lawyer working with Georgetown Law's social justice programs, the images are from a National Review piece by a sitting Harvard Law professor where he argues in favor of the genocide of Native Americans.

And before you think that's hyperbole, here's how he summed things up (taken from here):
    Whatever good was present at the Ossossané ossuary—where those who had not yet encountered the fullness of Truth honored their dead as best they knew how—is increased a thousandfold in the cemeteries of the residential schools, where baptized Christians were given Christian burials. Whatever natural good was present in the piety and community of the pagan past is an infinitesimal fraction of the grace rendered unto those pagans’ descendants who have been received into the Church of Christ. Whatever sacrifices were exacted in pursuit of that grace—the suffocation of a noble pagan culture; an increase in disease and bodily death due to government negligence; even the sundering of natural families—is worth it.

Calling this vile would be like calling the Pacific a little wet. If you are wondering why there is the issue with the heartlessness in our legal system, keep in mind that we privilege the people who are taught by the author of that line above.

Edit: And yes, this is a bit personal. My wife's grandfather was a victim of those sort of schools here in the US, so to have this goose try to justify it strikes home.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Our legal system is heartless because some law professors are Christians?

Actually, yeah I think a lot of our social problems can be traced back to the toxic effects of Christianity, although I'm not convinced college professors are a major driving force in that regard.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So, continuing on why law education in this country is fucked, we have a Harvard Law professor openly advocating for genocide:

The author is a lawyer working with Georgetown Law's social justice programs, the images are from a National Review piece by a sitting Harvard Law professor where he argues in favor of the genocide of Native Americans.

And before you think that's hyperbole, here's how he summed things up (taken from here):
    Whatever good was present at the Ossossané ossuary—where those who had not yet encountered the fullness of Truth honored their dead as best they knew how—is increased a thousandfold in the cemeteries of the residential schools, where baptized Christians were given Christian burials. Whatever natural good was present in the piety and community of the pagan past is an infinitesimal fraction of the grace rendered unto those pagans’ descendants who have been received into the Church of Christ. Whatever sacrifices were exacted in pursuit of that grace—the suffocation of a noble pagan culture; an increase in disease and bodily death due to government negligence; even the sundering of natural families—is worth it.

Calling this vile would be like calling the Pacific a little wet. If you are wondering why there is the issue with the heartlessness in our legal system, keep in mind that we privilege the people who are taught by the author of that line above.

Edit: And yes, this is a bit personal. My wife's grandfather was a victim of those sort of schools here in the US, so to have this goose try to justify it strikes home.

It's not even an original argument. It's why the Catholic Church agreed to run residential schools for the federal government, and we even have an ex-senator making that argument.
    Also, schools.