As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Avengers: Endgame] It's out! OPEN SPOILERS!

19495969798100»

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ironed Man
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with the gap, that's touched on in Far From Home, is all the collateral damage. You have billions coming back to a world that's moved on. Former significant others remarried, houses lost, belongings trashed or sold... it's an utter mess, all so Stark could keep his family. It just seems kind of selfish of him.
    (A very Stark thing to do.)

I mean, you realize there were other people like Stark? That had families and lives after the Snap? It's unfair to everyone who survives to undo 5 years if their lives, just to undo the whole mess. It is absolutely enough they were brought back, without undoing all the other parts. People grew during that time. Yeah, it's a logistical nightmare, but think of all the kids whose parents came back. I doubt they care their mom remarried, they're just glad to have their dad back

I think if people could forget the five years of trauma in exchange to lose what they'd gained, they'd pick that.
    (It's also touched on in the comics where it's happily ever after, most forget all about it, but some remember and it's maddening.)

Also, what about people who died as a result of the snap but weren't actually snapped? Mental health issues alone would have been through the roof.

I'm pretty sure they brought everyone back, even those who died in the fallout of the snap. I would imagine the consider the snap one event, including those taken away either by dusting or as consequences of said dusting. Unless Marvel goes out of its way to say so, those people came back too

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think the biggest problem with the gap, that's touched on in Far From Home, is all the collateral damage. You have billions coming back to a world that's moved on. Former significant others remarried, houses lost, belongings trashed or sold... it's an utter mess, all so Stark could keep his family. It just seems kind of selfish of him.

I imagine he meant all the children since there was nothing to stop Morgan existing again. Really it was more awkward because they could have gone back in time while using the gems to preserve modern Morgan/Stark/Pepper, so they're 5 years in the past but together. The children created since the snap were never meant to exist anyway, what happened was wholly unnatural. I mean they don't even go into pregnant mums who were dusted while 3 months pregnant. The logistics don't work at all without going back in time to ensure it never happened at all, but I'm sure it seemed a ballsy idea at the time.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

I mean, you realize there were other people like Stark? That had families and lives after the Snap? It's unfair to everyone who survives to undo 5 years if their lives, just to undo the whole mess. It is absolutely enough they were brought back, without undoing all the other parts. People grew during that time. Yeah, it's a logistical nightmare, but think of all the kids whose parents came back. I doubt they care their mom remarried, they're just glad to have their dad back

I think if people could forget the five years of trauma in exchange to lose what they'd gained, they'd pick that.
    (It's also touched on in the comics where it's happily ever after, most forget all about it, but some remember and it's maddening.)

Also, what about people who died as a result of the snap but weren't actually snapped? Mental health issues alone would have been through the roof.

So you're advocating for a scenario where the Hulk, a super hero, murders every single five-year-old or younger child in the universe?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

So you're advocating for a scenario where the Hulk, a super hero, murders every single five-year-old or younger child in the universe?

Not the call I'd like to make, that's for sure, but I think a lot more suffering happened during the snap, and undoing that would be the better move.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    "I'm going to murder a whole bunch of children to ease everyone's suffering" doesn't seem like a winning plan.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    "I'm going to murder a whole bunch of children to ease everyone's suffering" doesn't seem like a winning plan.

Well, when you put it like that...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Green Lantern

I imagine he meant all the children since there was nothing to stop Morgan existing again

Other than statistical improbability. The chances of the exact same set of genes being passed to Tony and Pepper's kid is basically impossible. (There's a reason that even people with a huge amount of kids don't wind up with with any of them being of identical DNA.. outside of twins of course.)
    Really it was more awkward because they could have gone back in time while using the gems to preserve modern Morgan/Stark/Pepper, so they're 5 years in the past but together.

You can't change the past; they could go live in an alternate timeline where the snap never happened, but that original timeline would still exist, and also would have half of everyone still dead.
    The children created since the snap were never meant to exist anyway, what happened was wholly unnatural.

Those kids (or their parents) had no control over that, and condemning them to non-existence because of that is horrifying, especially when there's a viable, though difficult, compromise between "Let the dead people remain dead" and "Make all the new people not exist."

Like, to put things into perspective, there's about a 1.2% annual worldwide growth rate; let's assume that remains constant after everyone blips out of existence. There were about 7.5 billion people on Earth in 2018, so 3.75 billion remain. At a 1.2% annual population growth, that's about 230 million people who would have been born during the Blip. That's a lot of people to just let disappear from existence because it's inconvenient.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Charlie America
    This seems like a good place to kill the thread, as though it was a small child. Take your endgame discussion to the MCU thread, but don't feel obliged to take this specific discussion there.

Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.