As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Avengers: Endgame] It's out! OPEN SPOILERS!

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I mean I only caught it once because I literally did Captain Marvel and then Endgame like a half hour afterwards and I was ready for fucking bed at that point so yes please I will go see it again.

(also put Captain Marvel back in theaters because while exhausting that was super fun)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ironed Man
    Best keep them sandwiches coming Steve.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Charlie America
    Finally got around to seeing this since it was released on Amazon.

3.5 billion people instantly returning would be an insurance company's nightmare.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    On the plus side, they'd suddenly have a whole bunch of trained staff back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Snore, God of Thunder
    McFodder wrote: »
    On the plus side, they'd suddenly have a whole bunch of trained staff back.

Assuming that regulations weren't changed significantly over the five years

I know that I'd be in a tough spot if I tried to do my job using only 2014 information, and that's without 50% of the planet disappearing which I imagine would necessitate some sweeping changes

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Ironed Man
    People that got dusted while on a plane got undusted in the middle of the air. People dusted in their cars or crosswalks on a busy intersection coming back during rush hour. People on a cruise undusted in the middle of the ocean.

More to worry about than insurance imo.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Green Lantern
    IIRC, Nebula undoes it in the comics by making it never happen or some such which was a much cleaner fix. Actually she kinda screws up a bit, but then recovers nicely. Dunno why they brought them back after 5 years. Undo it seconds after the snap, but only the people at the fight remember it originally happening. Grist for the story mill I guess.

Nosf on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Green Lantern
    Nosf wrote: »
    IIRC, Nebula undoes it in the comics by making it never happen or some such which was a much cleaner fix. Actually she kinda screws up a bit, but then recovers nicely. Dunno why they brought them back after 5 years. Undo it seconds after the snap, but only the people at the fight remember it originally happening. Grist for the story mill I guess.

they do it specifically so that all of the relationships, children, and etc. that happen in the following 5 years don't get undone.

most of the movie (like most comic books!) doesn't hold up to any amount of scrutiny. Which is fine because I don't care -too much- about comic book logic because I want to see a Valkyrie on a pegasus take down giant implausibly flying space aliens.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Charlie America
    The movie gives a very clear reason for them not reversing everything and leaving the five year gap intact.

Also the Hulk says he bought everyone back safe so no, people didn't materialise in thin air. And if they reappeared at the exact point they disappeared they wouldn't have appeared in thin air anyway, they'd have appeared in space where the Earth used to be five years ago and died almost instantly.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Red Sparrow

There were both in-story reasons and meta reasons for that. Not saying it's 100% defensible, but they exist.

Example: Tony Stark was super vehement about not undoing anything that happened after the Snap, as he wanted to protect his family. He even said something when Bruce was about to Unsnap, "remember, bring everyone back today."

There was also almost certainly a desire to avoid that "comic book feeling" where nothing serious ever actually lasts. The Snap had to actually happen and mean something, not just "we undid it and no one remembers anything bad." There were lots of people here and elsewhere hoping they didn't just do that.

And really, since the Mind Stone acts as a "benevolent wish interpreter" basically, we can just pretend that the Unsnap brought everyone back safely.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Also the Hulk says he bought everyone back safe so no, people didn't materialise in thin air.
    Sorry, your logic conflicts with our desire to turn the Blip into the darkest moment in galactic history rather than a triumph.
    Okay, you be the one to tell people that you killed their future children out of existence. Depending on who you tell, you may get a laser through the chest.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The movie's rules for time travel alleviate Tony's selfishness entirely, non? Don't undo any of the last five years to keep Morgan safe, but as they established time and again, you can't alter the past. Hulk couldn't unwind the years or edit everyone back in earlier than the moment he snapped.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Red Sparrow
    The movie's rules for time travel alleviate Tony's selfishness entirely, non? Don't undo any of the last five years to keep Morgan safe, but as they established time and again, you can't alter the past. Hulk couldn't unwind the years or edit everyone back in earlier than the moment he snapped.

Infinity Stone time travel may not be the same as Quantum Zone time travel

Actually, even if they do, then that doesn't solve anything. Undo the Snap in the past and you've fixed a different timeline. Your present is still screwed

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Green Lantern
    I still hope that by returning the soul stone they get black widow back

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Charlie America
    How quantum time travel works and what the stones could do when placed together aren't necessarily the same thing.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Sulk
    There's a lot of good stories that can be told around the fallout of the snap and blip. Black Panther for one. Wakanda has been chugging along for five years without T'Challa and as importantly, without a Black Panther. The mountain tribe guy probably took over as king, and whatever plan T'Challa had for opening Wakanda to the outside world has gone in the garbage with the chaos of the snap turning them into a regional peacekeeper or having them battening down the hatches to try and keep their own situation from going pear shaped. Either way there's story hooks galore to be explored.

Most other film franchises have callbacks, the MCU has history.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Green Lantern
    I'd rather BP come back and find Shuri is the Black Panther now, despite the wonky burn the flowers decision.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I'd rather BP come back and find Shuri is the Black Panther now, despite the wonky burn the flowers decision.

Pretty sure Shuri got snapped as well, which is a shame.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Sulk

Pretty sure Shuri got snapped as well, which is a shame.

She had a black and white poster, so yeah, snapped.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Green Lantern
    Make it Everett Ross then, "Aren't you a little short to be Black Panther?"

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I still hope that by returning the soul stone they get black widow back

Instead we'll get a damn prequel. They should hire you.

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Make it Everett Ross then, "Aren't you a little short to be Black Panther?"

Nah.

Angela Bassett.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I am hoping that they acknowledge that someone else has been ruling Wakanda for longer than he was, so they might actually be better at it than he would be. I don't know who it was (maybe Okoye?), but the job of King and Black Panther wouldn't have to go together.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Ironed Man
    Bogart wrote: »
    The movie gives a very clear reason for them not reversing everything and leaving the five year gap intact.

Also the Hulk says he bought everyone back safe so no, people didn't materialise in thin air. And if they reappeared at the exact point they disappeared they wouldn't have appeared in thin air anyway, they'd have appeared in space where the Earth used to be five years ago and died almost instantly.

You never let me have any fun.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I am hoping that they acknowledge that someone else has been ruling Wakanda for longer than he was, so they might actually be better at it than he would be. I don't know who it was (maybe Okoye?), but the job of King and Black Panther wouldn't have to go together.

I don't think Okoye would want to rule.

M'Baku was around though.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also doing the Blip this way means they can now add Cassie Lang to team ant without having to wait ages.

For that reason alone I'm good with it.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

I don't think Okoye would want to rule.

M'Baku was around though.

I could see M'baku both being the leader, and being super relieved when T'challa shows back up.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I wonder if old-Steve Rogers will make another appearance in the MCU or if this was truly the last we'll hear from him.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I wonder if old-Steve Rogers will make another appearance in the MCU or if this was truly the last we'll hear from him.

Give it another decade+ for them to be ready to pull out all the stops for the next big capstone movie (pardon the pun) and i'd be unsurprised to see Rodgers and other "Dead"characters make a return just for that movie. Plus, it'd be long enough that i think the actors would be more willing to put their hats back on for that moment, as it were.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Give it another decade+ for them to be ready to pull out all the stops for the next big capstone movie (pardon the pun) and i'd be unsurprised to see Rodgers and other "Dead"characters make a return just for that movie. Plus, it'd be long enough that i think the actors would be more willing to put their hats back on for that moment, as it were.

They could appear in one scene for millions of dollars, which is a good setup for them

There is definitely an opening for a battle against e.g. Kang in the past, during another time travel arc, where things look hopeless and then the villain's climactic attack is stopped cold with the iconic "BNNGGG," cue the swelling avengers theme, old man Cap raises his bearded head from the shield, etc

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Also doing the Blip this way means they can now add Cassie Lang to team ant without having to wait ages.

Just in general it helps their timeline issues. The year between Infinity War and End Game was a problem for them keeping it vaguely one to one-ish and the time jump lets them push a bunch of secondary characters up in age/storyline. Like, for example, what's Yang been up to? As basically the only other magic hero was he busy being fake Sorcerer Supreme?

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Hulk blipped them all back in a pile.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Just in general it helps their timeline issues. The year between Infinity War and End Game was a problem for them keeping it vaguely one to one-ish and the time jump lets them push a bunch of secondary characters up in age/storyline. Like, for example, what's Yang been up to? As basically the only other magic hero was he busy being fake Sorcerer Supreme?

AC_Fac_Ldr_009.png?version=f1f64ddf11b64e7df9a7dff8fdadb83e?

I see no reason to think Wong wasn't fully capable of taking up the slack left by Strange's dusting.

• Options
    I have no idea how I made that substitution but damn if that isn't going places now in my head.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I think the biggest problem with the gap, that's touched on in Far From Home, is all the collateral damage. You have billions coming back to a world that's moved on. Former significant others remarried, houses lost, belongings trashed or sold... it's an utter mess, all so Stark could keep his family. It just seems kind of selfish of him.
    (A very Stark thing to do.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I think the biggest problem with the gap, that's touched on in Far From Home, is all the collateral damage. You have billions coming back to a world that's moved on. Former significant others remarried, houses lost, belongings trashed or sold... it's an utter mess, all so Stark could keep his family. It just seems kind of selfish of him.

I mean, I don't know if Hulk could have done it the other way. Doing it as is nearly killed him.

• Options
    Red Sparrow

Well, also so that everyone else could keep their families, and there's no telling what would have happened if they tried to bring everyone back in the past (if it works like Quantum Realm time, then no one would get brought back at all as far as the MCU world could tell).

Steam profile
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Ironed Man

I mean, you realize there were other people like Stark? That had families and lives after the Snap? It's unfair to everyone who survives to undo 5 years if their lives, just to undo the whole mess. It is absolutely enough they were brought back, without undoing all the other parts. People grew during that time. Yeah, it's a logistical nightmare, but think of all the kids whose parents came back. I doubt they care their mom remarried, they're just glad to have their dad back

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I mean, you realize there were other people like Stark? That had families and lives after the Snap? It's unfair to everyone who survives to undo 5 years if their lives, just to undo the whole mess. It is absolutely enough they were brought back, without undoing all the other parts. People grew during that time. Yeah, it's a logistical nightmare, but think of all the kids whose parents came back. I doubt they care their mom remarried, they're just glad to have their dad back

I think if people could forget the five years of trauma in exchange to lose what they'd gained, they'd pick that.
    (It's also touched on in the comics where it's happily ever after, most forget all about it, but some remember and it's maddening.)

Also, what about people who died as a result of the snap but weren't actually snapped? Mental health issues alone would have been through the roof.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.