As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Prohass wrote: »
    Snapping turtles are so weird, its like an evil alternate reality version of a usually benign animal.

Like if i was to find out there were snapping rabbits out there, just vicious rabbits with jaws full of razors and a bite like a trap.

Thats just a normal rabbit
    Just put into Google the search terms "Napoleon" and "rabbit" and see what you get. :D
    EDIT: It's safe for work, I promise. Well, at least the first page. Can't tell you what's on pages beyond that.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Fugitive serial rapist hails a cab straight to arrest
    A fugitive who was finally caught and arrested over the abduction of two teenage girls was taken to police by a taxi driver who recognised him, it has emerged. Joseph McCann, 34, is being linked to several other attacks across the country, including the rape of an 11-year-old boy. Police confirmed the ‘extremely dangerous’ McCann had been arrested in Cheshire after a two-week search and a stand-off with officers overnight. The taxi driver ignored his instructions and went straight towards a police station. He said: ‘I realised who he was from the way he was acting and saying certain things like not to go down routes. ‘He was hiding his face and ducking down and told me, “Whatever happens don’t go down the A34”. ‘Further up the road, I saw a police officer talking to another member of the public on the side of the road so I flashed them.

‘I pulled up and he started to punch me in the face, the officer jumped in the car. I put on the child locks but he kept pulling at the door and it opened. ‘He started fighting with the officer and he picked up a broken bit of glass off the floor and ran off into the fields. We ran after him but we blocked the main road off.’ McCann is now being investigated over seven incidents across Cheshire, Manchester, Lancashire, London and Hertfordshire between April 21 and Sunday.

Cab driver should get a medal.

Sorry those are reserved for playing a good game of golf

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Apparently snapping turtles are only cranky outside of the water. Or at least that's the line that the lady with the snapping turtle in the museum gave us.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bad news
    Detective pikachu leaked
    https://youtu.be/tAA_yWX8ycQ

Good news
    or did it?
    I fooled both of my kids with this.

A++; would troll with Ryan again.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Flooding a highrise isn't normal.

But on meth it is:
    A man allegedly flooded a hotel while high on drugs by opening fire hydrants on 18 storeys, causing $1.6m of damage.

Bradley Vogt, 28, was found in the stairwell with mop in hand by firefighters as they responded to more than 400,000 litres of water flooding out of the Southbank building.

The Traralgon man had been consuming large amounts of drugs in his hotel room before he decided to open all the fire hydrants on levels 1 to 18, police allege.

Honestly, the mop is what makes the story.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

But on meth it is:
    A man allegedly flooded a hotel while high on drugs by opening fire hydrants on 18 storeys, causing $1.6m of damage.

Bradley Vogt, 28, was found in the stairwell with mop in hand by firefighters as they responded to more than 400,000 litres of water flooding out of the Southbank building.

The Traralgon man had been consuming large amounts of drugs in his hotel room before he decided to open all the fire hydrants on levels 1 to 18, police allege.

He's got it in hand

• Options
    Indian navy fails fails step 1 of "how to submerge a submarine safely":
    The modern submarine is not a simple machine. A loss of propulsion, unexpected flooding, or trouble with reactors or weapons can doom a sub crew to a watery grave.

Also, it’s a good idea to, like, close the hatches before you dive.

Call it a lesson learned for the Indian navy, which managed to put the country’s first nuclear-missile submarine, the $2.9 billion INS Arihant, out of commission in the most boneheaded way possible.The Hindu reported yesterday that the Arihant has been out of commission since suffering “major damage” some 10 months ago, due to what a navy source characterized as a “human error” — to wit: allowing water to flood to sub’s propulsion compartment after failing to secure one of the vessel’s external hatches.

(This one's for @Quid.)

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    ... where's the gone right?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    The modern submarine is not a simple machine. A loss of propulsion, unexpected flooding, or trouble with reactors or weapons can doom a sub crew to a watery grave.

Call it a lesson learned for the Indian navy, which managed to put the country’s first nuclear-missile submarine, the $2.9 billion INS Arihant, out of commission in the most boneheaded way possible.The Hindu reported yesterday that the Arihant has been out of commission since suffering “major damage” some 10 months ago, due to what a navy source characterized as a “human error” — to wit: allowing water to flood to sub’s propulsion compartment after failing to secure one of the vessel’s external hatches.

(This one's for @Quid.)

Ah, I see the gone right. With the loss of this war machine is the loss of the ability to wage war on a war-weary world even in a small way.
    You teach us all, AngeHedgie. You teach us all.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    This is why the SUBSAFE program exists and was adapted for NASA following the Columbia accident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUBSAFE?wprov=sfti1

It is mind numbingly tedious, time consuming, and has proven supremely effective.

The only good I’m seeing here though is that no one was killed thankfully.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Nobody was killed i guess? and the mistake will likely NEVER happen again

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Nobody died? That's always a gone right when it comes to submarine accidents.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Apparently snapping turtles are only cranky outside of the water. Or at least that's the line that the lady with the snapping turtle in the museum gave us.

Hahahaha. They're faster and harder to see underwater.

When I went to school down in southern Missouri, my roommate convinced me to go noodling with his cousins. The guy who was showing us how to do it was missing his pinky and fourth finger. When we asked him if it was safe, he said, "As long as you're just finding catfish down there and not snappers." And held up his hand with the missing fingers.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

When I went to school down in southern Missouri, my roommate convinced me to go noodling with his cousins. The guy who was showing us how to do it was missing his pinky and fourth finger. When we asked him if it was safe, he said, "As long as you're just finding catfish down there and not snappers." And held up his hand with the missing fingers.

I dunno if catfish noodlers are the dumbest or ballsiest people alive. At best, a giant catfish swallows their arm. At worst, the catfish is actually a snapping turtle.

I mean, we already have a perfectly safe method for catching large catfish without letting snapping turtles chomp our bits off. And it's easier than noodling!

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

I dunno if catfish noodlers are the dumbest or ballsiest people alive. At best, a giant catfish swallows their arm. At worst, the catfish is actually a snapping turtle.

I mean, we already have a perfectly safe method for catching large catfish without letting snapping turtles chomp our bits off. And it's easier than noodling!

Mmm. Cottonmouths are also a possibility.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Mmm. Cottonmouths are also a possibility.

Hey, don't leave out flesh eating bacterial infections!

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

(This one's for @Quid.)

My 1998 car has lights that show a door is open...
    It is hard to believe this cutting edge tech hasn't been installed in a 2.9 billion dollar sub.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

(This one's for @Quid.)

It is hard to believe this cutting edge tech hasn't been installed in a 2.9 billion dollar sub.

In US subs, it does exist (its called the "Christmas tree", because of all the red and green lights.)

You also don't trust it, and have manual verification of all hatches.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Bad news
    Detective pikachu leaked

Good news
    or did it?

Ten hour version of that in 3.2.1....

• Options

(This one's for Quid.)

American procedure is to check an indicator in control, check an indicator near the hatch, test the hatch manually, check off on the paper list that each verification for the hatch being sealed. Then someone else does it all over again. Sometimes a third time because while this is going on the same thing is happening all over the boat and some checks take longer than others and you don't get to stop until every single hatch, pipe, and valve or any other potential entry for water are verified in the same way.

The only time a sub's catastrophically sunk since SUBSAFE was implemented was the USS Scorpion back in '68 whose SUBSAFE overhaul hadn't been conducted. As a process it's about as perfect as humanly possible. Multiple points of mandatory verification along with regular casual inspection by people walking by who know what signs to look for and what to do if they see them.

• Options
    The root cause is simply that the Indian Navy hasn't been operating subs for very long, and they hadn't adopted best practices in use in other navies (such as SUBSAFE.)

I would imagine, after such a public black eye, they will be adopting SUBSAFE.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

(This one's for Quid.)

American procedure is to check an indicator in control, check an indicator near the hatch, test the hatch manually, check off on the paper list that each verification for the hatch being sealed. Then someone else does it all over again. Sometimes a third time because while this is going on the same thing is happening all over the boat and some checks take longer than others and you don't get to stop until every single hatch, pipe, and valve or any other potential entry for water are verified in the same way.

The only time a sub's catastrophically sunk since SUBSAFE was implemented was the USS Scorpion back in '68 whose SUBSAFE overhaul hadn't been conducted. As a process it's about as perfect as humanly possible. Multiple points of mandatory verification along with regular casual inspection by people walking by who know what signs to look for and what to do if they see them.

What happens when you need to do an emergency dive?

You don't go into a situation where you may need to until you have performed the securing process.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

(This one's for Quid.)

You run the checks fast.
    Seriously though, as I understand it, subs should never have to make an emergency dive, because they have no need to surface anywhere where an emergency dive might be necessary.

Granted, I'm not a Navy person and have never been on a sub. But if Hollywood can be trusted...

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Typicly if there is even a remote chance that they might be attacked they never go above snorkling depth. Even commando-insertion is done from snorkling depth to make sure that the submarine is ready to dive.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

(This one's for Quid.)

A scenario where you’re not already submerged is... unlikely. General practice is once you’re down you stay down until you’re done with whatever you’re doing. Every emergency deep I’ve been a part of took place while already under.

Otherwise I’d imagine they’d still do the checks, just really god damn fast.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

But on meth it is:

So did he grab it after coming down and realizing what he did?

• Options

But on meth it is:

Not exactly:
    Firefighters told him to go downstairs for his own safety, but later found him on level 4 allegedly re-opening another hydrant.

He was then found lying on the ground, partially submerged in water and still holding the mop.

Mr Vogt then barricaded himself in a room downstairs before lashing out at police when they tried to arrest him, according to the hotel manager.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Aw man, I was hoping he was some kind of dinosaur-man, but Traralgon is just a city in Australia.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Snek.
    A doorbell camera captured the moment a snake attacked a man in a video that will make your skin crawl.
    Jerel Heywood was visiting Rodney Copeland's home on Sunday in Lawton, Oklahoma when the attack occurred.
    The snake was wrapped around a porch light, Copeland said.
    As Heywood opens the screen door, the snake pops into the corner of the camera and bites into Heywood's head before retreating.

The victim is okay, but the owner is taking no chances:
    Copeland said it was the first time he found a snake in his home. He imagines the 5-foot-5-incher was taking refuge from recent heavy rains. He hopes to keep away any potential lurkers by spraying the yard with sulfuric acid.
    "I hear they don't like that," he said.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    WHERE IS THE GONE RIGHT, HEDGIE?!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I laughed.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Snek got bludgeoned by a hammer? Like some dude ran over with a 5 lb nail hammer and killed a snek, I guess?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Snek got bludgeoned by a hammer? Like some dude ran over with a 5 lb nail hammer and killed a snek, I guess?

What kind of snake? It was non-venomous, so unless it was an exotic species there is no gone right with that.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Look! I'm trying! What more do you expect?!!

The snek was literally Stalin!

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Look! I'm trying! What more do you expect?!!

The snek was literally ssssssstalin!

ftfy

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

To be fair almost any cornered animal will bite if you mess with it’s face.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Did Hedgie post the story yet of the Georgia sprinter who ran into a javelin and impaled himself clear through his chest?

No?

Oh, must be because he is through surgery and is expected to make a full recovery and compete again starting next year.

https://deadspin.com/georgia-sprinter-miraculously-survives-after-a-javelin-1834618819
    According to police reports, the javelin was sticking out of the field at an angle. It went through Elija’s back. He immediately went down and his teammates packed the area with gauze until he could be rushed to a hospital for emergency surgery.

The javelin reportedly went straight through Godwin’s body and punctured his lung.

Medical personnel had to saw off the piece sticking out of his back to get him into the ambulance, but the front piece of the javelin was still in his chest.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Snapping turtles are too angry and spiteful not to save. Yeah, I know all they want to do is bite my head off in many angry chomps, but I can't help but respect and admire so much rage and hate in one bitey package.

Plus that's one very angry ghost you don't want to have you on it's list of unfinished business.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

But on meth it is:

Not exactly:
    Firefighters told him to go downstairs for his own safety, but later found him on level 4 allegedly re-opening another hydrant.

He was then found lying on the ground, partially submerged in water and still holding the mop.

Mr Vogt then barricaded himself in a room downstairs before lashing out at police when they tried to arrest him, according to the hotel manager.

I have to wonder if he was watching Fantasia in the hotel room.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Australia's $50 note misspells responsibility
    Australia's latest A$50 note comes with a big blunder hidden in the small print - a somewhat embarrassing typo.

The Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) spelled "responsibility" as "responsibilty" on millions of the new yellow notes.

yg68gd9hq080.png

The RBA confirmed the typo on Thursday and said the error would be fixed in future print runs.

But for now, around 46 million of the new notes are in use across the country.
    No word on if anyone has accepted the responsibilty for this.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.