As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Jeez if thread having this much trouble dealing with cream pie, better not tell you the British term for fruit and nut pudding
    heh nut pudding

Most Americans found out about bangers and mash or spotted dick and wrote off the cuisine of the entire archipelago as a linguistic mess.

I swear that British chefs required that all their savory puddings, custards, and pastries have names that could sound like a sexual euphemism.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    My only strong opinion about sizes and naming conventions is that you can't have "Medium" as a size if you have fewer than 3 sizes.

Medium, Extra Large, and Supreme?

Medium, extra medium, and chair.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Jeez if thread having this much trouble dealing with cream pie, better not tell you the British term for fruit and nut pudding
    heh nut pudding

Most Americans found out about bangers and mash or spotted dick and wrote off the cuisine of the entire archipelago as a linguistic mess.

But then they'll miss out on the bubble and squeak!

And toad in the hole

(Also, not sure what 'fruit and nut pudding' refers to but if it's spotted dick, that doesn't contain nuts. It's suet and currants.)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    My only strong opinion about sizes and naming conventions is that you can't have "Medium" as a size if you have fewer than 3 sizes.

There's a place in Mesa, AZ that has two choices: 'regular' and 'medium' sized drinks

I've seen people forget that and order "the small medium please" or similar

The owner is a very eccentric Chinese woman running a Gyro and Cheesesteak shop

I'm pretty sure she's a faerie that regains glamour from making you question reality!

I am Kylo Ren and this Gyro & Cheesesteak Abomination is my computer console. Behold, as I wail upon it with the fury of a thousand dying suns.

Heffling wrote: »

Medium, Extra Large, and Supreme?

This is America.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure she's a faerie that regains glamour from making you question reality!

*begins ruminating on the viability of provolone and/or whizz as a tzatziki substitute*

That's probably not a bad idea, cause she had absolutely no clue what tzatziki sauce was supposed to taste like

Not that it wasn't a tasty gyro!

Just like everything in there - completely unexpected and off kilter

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    heh nut pudding

But then they'll miss out on the bubble and squeak!

And toad in the hole

(Also, not sure what 'fruit and nut pudding' refers to but if it's spotted dick, that doesn't contain nuts. It's suet and currants.)

My b. Always thought it had nuts. Ya meant spotted dick

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    PROTIP: While layovers are boring, using a notification display to play your PS4 is not recommended:
    A “young man” waiting at Portland International earlier today, perhaps bored as we all are by the drudgery of airports, figured he could just unpack his PS4 console, plug it into an airport information monitor and start playing some Apex Legends right there on the spot.

Local radio station KXL (via The Oregonian) report that the man had his console connected to a monitor intended to display a map of the airport for visitors, an incident heard on the local emergency scanner as a “hijacking” of the display.

When approached and asked “to unplug and cease using the monitors at the airport” by operations supervisors, he reportedly asked “very politely” if he could finish up his round first.

That request was denied, and Port of Portland spokesperson Kama Simonds took the opportunity to use the incident as “a good reminder of what not to do at the airport.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    This is why the Switch is my console of choice.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    PROTIP: While layovers are boring, using a notification display to play your PS4 is not recommended:
    A “young man” waiting at Portland International earlier today, perhaps bored as we all are by the drudgery of airports, figured he could just unpack his PS4 console, plug it into an airport information monitor and start playing some Apex Legends right there on the spot.

Local radio station KXL (via The Oregonian) report that the man had his console connected to a monitor intended to display a map of the airport for visitors, an incident heard on the local emergency scanner as a “hijacking” of the display.

When approached and asked “to unplug and cease using the monitors at the airport” by operations supervisors, he reportedly asked “very politely” if he could finish up his round first.

That request was denied, and Port of Portland spokesperson Kama Simonds took the opportunity to use the incident as “a good reminder of what not to do at the airport.”

Clearly, that airport is XBone territory.

• Options
    A lot of the art department for various Halo games seems to live in Portland, checks out

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Bad news: this twitter thread's situation
    Gone right: we get to read about it

• Options
    De-light-ful

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I would absolutely rewire my apartment with or without permission if I lived there.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Oh. My. God. This needs to be an engineering textbook design fail case study.

sig.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The fan in our living room has a remote, with pretty much that exact UI, just the buttons are in different spots. Honestly it's not the greatest UI, because every elderly person who has ever looked at it is confused as hell. The words "fan" and "light" don't appear at all. It's just UL/DL, and one button that says "off". So an elderly person trying to divine which button turns off the light and the fan just gets frustrated. At least those buttons are better labeled.

I thought the answer was he was too dim to realize it was the "fan off" button. Incidentally the "solution" to his problem is that both the remote and the fan itself have dip switches, and you can change the frequency of them. Clearly the installers never changed them from the default. :D We had a related issue with the remote. At first it was ridiculously sketchy getting the thing to actually work and you had to stand practically under the fan. We replaced the battery and now the remote works from across the damn house. If they're in a condo unit with multiple of these fans within 20 feet of each other, all on the same frequency... oh man!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

*begins ruminating on the viability of provolone and/or whizz as a tzatziki substitute*

Whizz?

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

Whizz?

comma Cheez. One side of the great cheesesteak war.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    You guys are gonna be so embarrassed when you find out how people use the terms “whizz” and “cheese”

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

I'm frankly in awe

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I'm frankly in awe
    I've shared this before (it's not mine) but this is a good time to reminisce:

"We can't send e-mail more than 500 miles."

sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Sorce wrote: »

I'm frankly in awe
    I've shared this before (it's not mine) but this is a good time to reminisce:

"We can't send e-mail more than 500 miles."

That is amazing.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Jragghen wrote: »

Bad news: this twitter thread's situation
    Gone right: we get to read about it

As a software developer:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Bad news: some people have astigmatism

Gone Right: it may be reflected in their art and contribute to the varying depictions of light we see in animation

Edit: click through for the thread

Carpy on
  • Options
    Huh. That makes the flares a bit less annoying knowing I have a special ticket to see them

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    I never knew that is why everything has those flares at night. Glasses or contacts, I always had it. Thanks for sharing that.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I had no idea. My wife has astigmatism and i showed her and she's like yeah that's why i wear glasses. When i wore glasses (before i had LASIK) i didn't have that at all, but i couldn't see past like 10 feet. She can see distance fine, just everything flares like that!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I had no idea. My wife has astigmatism and i showed her and she's like yeah that's why i wear glasses. When i wore glasses (before i had LASIK) i didn't have that at all, but i couldn't see past like 10 feet. She can see distance fine, just everything flares like that!

Some of us both can't see past ten feet and everything is skewed sideways like that! It sucks!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Huh, guess I have light astigmatism then. Without glasses, lights at a distance have short flares like that, but nowhere near as large as in those photos.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Huh. I thought it was because of LASIK that I saw those flares, but I started wearing glasses at 9, couldn't function well without them, and got laser surgery at 33. Probably I just didn't know they were there among the blurriness.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Uhhh... What if you have perfect vision, but also see those flares?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Veevee wrote: »

Congratulations, you're the Abramatar, here to usher in another generation of half-assed soft reboots with gratuitous lens-flare!

Don't bother promising to use your power for good, it doesn't work that way. Sorry.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

If it is rainy or foggy everyone sees them, because of the diffraction of light.

I guess you can see them on a clear night sometimes just because of the way the eye works. It would be unusual to see them all the time.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Followup on the VVVVVV source code release, someone improved one of the most notorious puzzles:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If we had read the tweet thread, then we wouldn't have the astigmatism that keeps us from reading things because of all the lens flare!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Yanni, white/gold dress, glare as all hell lights.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

"People with perfect vision sometimes have blurred vision too" is a useless tautology. The only valid point being made is don't self diagnose medical issues off the internet.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

"People with perfect vision sometimes have blurred vision too" is a useless tautology. The only valid point being made is don't self diagnose medical issues off the internet.

Too late. I can see the blurry in the images and the internet said it's cancer.

F

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's not just lights I can get to do that. It's only something that's come up in the increasing technological age we live in, but white text on a black background (or any contrasting colours really) and I can vaguely get a bit of double vision. It's like somebody cut the lettering in photoshop, pasted a copy maybe 5 pixels up, and dropped the transparency down to 5%. Hell, I just woke up about 15 minutes ago, and my eyes are still in that state of having excessive tears and other shmut in then and I can get get that double vision on everything on my desk just by squinting ever so slightly.

And yeah, I've mentioned it to an optometrist. They say it doesn't mean much of anything.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
This discussion has been closed.